IGNORED

Shadow of midweek team

Topper 123

That was a very disappointing match to watch , think the team need to look at their selves I don’t agree with The being tired from the Tuesday cup game as professional players at this stage of season should be up for a Saturday game they showed little will to win and just got BOSSED by a Cardiff side who I thought looked poor . Our shape was badly disjointed when Williams went off and that along with kalas later were crucial reasons for loss but again today players never showed up 

6 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

That was a very disappointing match to watch , think the team need to look at their selves I don’t agree with The being tired from the Tuesday cup game as professional players at this stage of season should be up for a Saturday game they showed little will to win and just got BOSSED by a Cardiff side who I thought looked poor . Our shape was badly disjointed when Williams went off and that along with kalas later were crucial reasons for loss but again today players never showed up 

What did you expect.  Our threadbare squad meant the manager was only able to make one change when ideally he would have made 4 or 5.

• Like 2

We all now the squad is paper thin but that team picked to start today maybe with wells instead of bell was classed as FIT now that team should have been good enough to have beaten a very poor Cardiff city side , now if it’s a metal emotionally fatigue thing then there’s something wrong with our recovery set up which I doubt there is TODAY may have been after the Lord Mayors show syndrome but that’s down to management team to get the side ready but I still say heads not on it and a very lacklustre show all be it Williams injury messed our shape up . Onwards and upwards and let’s hope the mental emotions of losing 3 points to a poor side don’t weight to heavy for Huddersfield game 

10 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Out of likes. Spot on.

We tried today, it just didn't come off. That's football and absolutely no reason for the usual suspects to come crawling out from their rocks to slag everyone and sundry off.

"Take a look at themselves" is an absolutely farcical overreaction even my toddler would be embarrassed by. 

So you were happy with that as a display for 90 mins of football were you or you expected us to lose did you because of Tuesday 

30 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I'm sorry, but if people genuinely can't see what impact Tuesday might have had then there's no reasoning with them.

Doesn't excuse the performance, but it was a factor.

This is what I was worried about the players where definitely disappointed with the result midweek and after staying fully focused.

Cardiff frustrated us today and broke our counter attack and we lost two players with injury.

Just a bad day at the office.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

So you were happy with that as a display for 90 mins of football were you or you expected us to lose did you because of Tuesday 

Personally didn't expect to lose but was sure the team would have performed worse than Tuesday/previous matches, mainly because of the enormous work done in the cup and even more after seeing an almost unchanged starting XI. Add to it two injuries and things became even more complicated, against a fresh, physical side in need of points.

Play them in other circumstances and I think we would have got at least a point.

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Like 1

Just to throw it out there that bookies are rarely wrong and they had Cardiff as the favourites to win the match today. If we hadn't had the game on Tuesday and had a free week like Cardiff I would imagine we would have been priced up as the favourites. I would imagine the reasoning being that we had a really tough game on Tuesday, chasing shadows 2nd half when Man City really started shifting the ball. Football is a really tiring game when you don't have the ball like 2nd half on Tuesday.

The exertions against Man City were I'm sure certainly a factor, with 2 or 3 perhaps either mentally or physically not at their best.

Add to that the baffling decision to play Sam Bell as CF, when he really struggled in that role v Hull. I'd have started Wells, or even Cornick there instead of Bell. I think Bell has a big future, but he needs to play off a CF, just not his game to play as the CF.

The injuries hampered us, Scott dropping back when Williams went off curtailed our attack as Weimann, despite working tirelessly as usual, was not at all effective. 

Then the decision to belatedly bring Wells on for Bell, but at the same time take off Tanner and drop Sykes (who for me had been our best player and the most likely to create something) to RB was a counter productive call. Cornick was hopeless, all over the place, lost possession several times, never seemed to get the ball under control. As someone else said in the match thread, struggling to see how he offers any improvement on our starting 11. 

2 hours ago, Magger1 said:

We all now the squad is paper thin but that team picked to start today maybe with wells instead of bell was classed as FIT now that team should have been good enough to have beaten a very poor Cardiff city side , now if it’s a metal emotionally fatigue thing then there’s something wrong with our recovery set up which I doubt there is TODAY may have been after the Lord Mayors show syndrome but that’s down to management team to get the side ready but I still say heads not on it and a very lacklustre show all be it Williams injury messed our shape up . Onwards and upwards and let’s hope the mental emotions of losing 3 points to a poor side don’t weight to heavy for Huddersfield game 

Today was shite but losing Williams was massive and changed the game. We were struggling in the middle as it was - however I would say it was 50-50 - the minute Williams went off I knew we were ****** . 

They took control of the middle of the park from that point and to be honest - I don’t think we ever looked like winning the game 

We have had a great run since Boxing Day - it’s unlikely we are now gonna get involved in a relegation scrap - let’s just hope the injuries picked up today are not to bad and we can get to 52 points asap 

Bell looked leggy from the start - and with no real support got bullied out of the game . I personally would have started either Weimann or Wells in the middle of the three 

It’s never nice losing to those pricks - but it’s one game in a run of about 14 where we have really improved 

Roll on Tuesday 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Magger1 said:

We should have been ahead by the time Williams went off. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We should have been ahead by the time Williams went off. 

Yes take one or both of those two good first  half chances and even loosing Williams and later Kalas. Which both disrupted our natural game and it's a different walk in the park 

Edited by Rocking Red Cyril

7 hours ago, old_eastender said:

The exertions against Man City were I'm sure certainly a factor, with 2 or 3 perhaps either mentally or physically not at their best.

Add to that the baffling decision to play Sam Bell as CF, when he really struggled in that role v Hull. I'd have started Wells, or even Cornick there instead of Bell. I think Bell has a big future, but he needs to play off a CF, just not his game to play as the CF.

The injuries hampered us, Scott dropping back when Williams went off curtailed our attack as Weimann, despite working tirelessly as usual, was not at all effective. 

Then the decision to belatedly bring Wells on for Bell, but at the same time take off Tanner and drop Sykes (who for me had been our best player and the most likely to create something) to RB was a counter productive call. Cornick was hopeless, all over the place, lost possession several times, never seemed to get the ball under control. As someone else said in the match thread, struggling to see how he offers any improvement on our starting 11. 

Agree hes too weak like Bamby running around hes not a nine .

10 hours ago, Magger1 said:

Jeez, far better teams than ours get mentally/physically burnt out at times. It happens. How have you avoided coming to terms with disappointment following City this long?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Northern Red said:

I'm sorry, but if people genuinely can't see what impact Tuesday might have had then there's no reasoning with them.

Doesn't excuse the performance, but it was a factor.

Of course, Tuesday had an impact. Doesn't wash me though. Yesterday's performance was poor.

4 minutes ago, Bodiesaffer said:

We looked ok yesterday just not as snappy or clinical.  They were difficult to play against as they sat in.  They took there chances we didn’t simple as that.  We kept going till the end with tired legs you can see that with the final balls. 
We shared the points overall. 

They got 3 points we got none. 

Blimey, some of the comments on this thread are unbelievable in their negativity. Yesterday was our first defeat in the league all year, and that happens.

I hated losing to that lot, they are easily the most vile lot of pond life we have the misfortune to play so that performance coming against them is particularly frustrating. But it was always going to happen at some point and we just have to make the best of it and move on now.

For what it’s worth, I’m sure that fatigue was a factor. Our decision making was off, we gave the ball away too cheaply and we just didn’t move it with enough pace to cause problems in and around their box. Just as they built the move that led to the first goal I said to my mate that we couldn’t just keep allowing them to get crosses into the box because something would drop eventually, and before I’d even finished my sentence they scored. We were our own worst enemies at times. They were a poor side but we gave them the opportunity to beat us by just being a bit ‘off it’ all day.

The injuries may well turn out to be the most costly element from yesterday. We will be really lacking in power at the back with both Atkinson and Kalas out and the same in midfield with Williams gone too. We’ll have to adapt and Scott playing deeper will weaken us as well. But, looking at the bigger picture, we’ve lost one in 10 and we’re safely in mid table and anyone but the most negative fan would have taken that with both hands 2 months ago.

Onwards and upwards. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jacki said:

Blimey, some of the comments on this thread are unbelievable in their negativity. Yesterday was our first defeat in the league all year, and that happens.

I hated losing to that lot, they are easily the most vile lot of pond life we have the misfortune to play so that performance coming against them is particularly frustrating. But it was always going to happen at some point and we just have to make the best of it and move on now.

For what it’s worth, I’m sure that fatigue was a factor. Our decision making was off, we gave the ball away too cheaply and we just didn’t move it with enough pace to cause problems in and around their box. Just as they built the move that led to the first goal I said to my mate that we couldn’t just keep allowing them to get crosses into the box because something would drop eventually, and before I’d even finished my sentence they scored. We were our own worst enemies at times. They were a poor side but we gave them the opportunity to beat us by just being a bit ‘off it’ all day.

The injuries may well turn out to be the most costly element from yesterday. We will be really lacking in power at the back with both Atkinson and Kalas out and the same in midfield with Williams gone too. We’ll have to adapt and Scott playing deeper will weaken us as well. But, looking at the bigger picture, we’ve lost one in 10 and we’re safely in mid table and anyone but the most negative fan would have taken that with both hands 2 months ago.

Onwards and upwards. 

Unfortunately, it showed we are a long way off from the Middlesbrough, Blackburn, Luton, Norwich and a few others where they are in positions currently, where we would love to be. OK great start to the new year and you can see when the team plays well there are thousands upon thousands of City of supporters waiting in the wings that start attending Ashton Gate.

If we were around the sixth or seventh position at the moment the home attendances will reflect on good performance.

I'm expecting of at least 10th this season. This I think is achievable, but a play-off spot is now a dream.

Let's be honest was yesterday's performance consistent of a team that we all want to make the play offs or get to close too it. I do not think so.

More work for our great manager NP to implement.

Those of you 3 x K thousand attended yesterday I commend you so much. You deserved more.

• Like 1