IGNORED

Defence v Huddersfield

A big problem.

Dasilva LB and Pring LCB seems the more logical one, considering the benefits of a back 4, but also that Wilson is not ready/tested yet (so Tanner has to play RB) and King could be preferred as a midfield sub.

Edited by Dan Robin

We have
one RFB
Two LFB's
One CB

That will be our defence Tuesday, unless King gets the nod , which I don't think he will , as
We have three fit MF's plus OTC. 

I think we might see King come in for Williams. Unless Weimann starts in Scotts role and AS drops back .
My guess is ;

Oleary
Tanner - Vyner - Pring - DaSilva
            James - King
                 Scott
Sykes    -   Wells. -  Mehmeti

• Hmmm 1

44 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

We have
one RFB
Two LFB's
One CB

That will be our defence Tuesday, unless King gets the nod , which I don't think he will , as

I think we might see King come in for Williams. Unless Weimann starts in Scotts role and AS drops back .
My guess is ;

Oleary
            James - King
                 Scott

I’ve been wrong before ? but my hunch is Weimann will start in the most advanced position of the midfield 3 as he did today, with Scott playing deeper.

Back four picks itself, just whether Wells & Cornick both come in up front or only one of them.

On the basis Kane Wilson was on the bench v Man City I guess he will be at Huddersfield, if Idehen is as out in the cold as I think, then Francois will presumably be the other sub.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I’ve been wrong before ? but my hunch is Weimann will start in the most advanced position of the midfield 3 as he did today, with Scott playing deeper.

Back four picks itself, just whether Wells & Cornick both come in up front or just one of them.

On the basis Kane Wilson was on the bench v Man City I guess he will be at Huddersfield, if Idehen is as out in the cold as I think, then Francois will presumably be the other sub.

I can see Nige going that way, but I think Weimann has been or can be , quite anonymous in that role. TBH if I was trying to get AW in the team it would be CF, but I don't think Pearson will go that way. 

We have 4 games to get through before Naismith comes back, Wilson will probably get some games before the break, but we are close to bare bones. Hope Scott can avoid that booking for a few more games.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Back four picks itself, just whether Wells & Cornick both come in up front or just one of them.

Weimann looks so off it at the moment and weakens us when he comes on.  Do we bite the bullet and let him play back into form (numbers might dictate we might need to)?  Think as you say it’s going to be ugly until after intl break. Personally, would play King & James & retain Scott in creative role. Wells has to start but we literally have no options at the back & whilst we have 2 key defenders injured (3 if you include Naismith) which you cannot legislate for, personally felt as you know the failure to strengthen the position Nige constantly said needed strengthening has bitten us on the ass.  We are where we are but reality check in that we still have work to do & any  play off talk was nonsense. The loss today in itself wasn’t bad but to lose Kalas and Williams was a disaster.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

We have
one RFB
Two LFB's
One CB

My guess is ;

Oleary
            James - King
                 Scott

Agree in a way but there’s a lack of mobility in king & James . James has been excellent but aided by the legs of naismith or williams . Personally I’d go 

O’leary

Tanner.       Vyner.      Pring.  Dasilva

Scott.            James 

Mehmeti

Sykes.            Wells.            Bell 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Weimann looks so off it at the moment and weakens us when he comes on.  Do we bite the bullet and let him play back into form (numbers might dictate we might need to)?  Think as you say it’s going to be ugly until after intl break. Personally, would play King & James & retain Scott in creative role. Wells has to start but we literally have no options at the back & whilst we have 2 key defenders injured (3 if you include Naismith) which you cannot legislate for, personally felt as you know the failure to strengthen the position Nige constantly said needed strengthening has bitten us on the ass.  We are where we are but reality check in that we still have work to do & any  play off talk was nonsense. The loss today in itself wasn’t bad but to lose Kalas and Williams was a disaster.

Actually the best part of today was none of the bottom three won, QPR look in free fall & Reading’s goal difference took a battering ahead of their expected points deduction.

The team selection is all about opinions & I certainly respect yours, personally I’m not sure King can do 90 minutes in centre mid any more but whether he starts or not, he’s clearly going to have a part to play in the next few with so many others unavailable.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He had a few nibbles today and restrained himself from flying in.  Mature.

There was one point he chased back, near the touchline. He caught up and nibbled but then stopped. I was shouting No NO at the TV, luckily the Mrs was out.  He has shown restraint , just hope he can keep it going.

14 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Agree in a way but there’s a lack of mobility in king & James . James has been excellent but aided by the legs of naismith or williams . Personally I’d go 

O’leary

Tanner.       Vyner.      Pring.  Dasilva

Scott.            James 

Mehmeti

Sykes.            Wells.            Bell 

I know what you mean, but I think with Mehmeti, or Weimann, we are a man short in MF. Might be worth trying Mehmeti on the right and give Sykes a rest, and it would allow him to go outside and get crosses in.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

There was one point he chased back, near the touchline. He caught up and nibbled but then stopped. I was shouting No NO at the TV, luckily the Mrs was out.  He has shown restraint , just hope he can keep it going.

I know what you mean, but I think with Mehmeti, or Weimann, we are a man short in MF. Might be worth trying Mehmeti on the right and give Sykes a rest, and it would allow him to go outside and get crosses in.

Not easy decision . I can see the merits of both . Play king & we got three proper midfielders  but we lose intensity which nige wants . Mehmeti does work hard though & track back plus we get more creation 

• Like 1

Injuries are absolutely killing us at the moment , think we have been fairly lucky with injuries up to about a month ago ,I know all teams suffer but at the mo 

conway,Atkinson & Naismith would more than likely all started today Wilson on the little we have seen of him so far probably not , now Williams & Kalas out as well that’s 5 first teamers  not fit for Tuesday .

on another note bit harsh in my eyes get rid of Williams & Kalas not available enough , takes me back to the Brooker / Riberio days great players if and when fit , and the thing is you keep hoping .

4 minutes ago, redkev said:

Injuries are absolutely killing us at the moment , think we have been fairly lucky with injuries up to about a month ago ,I know all teams suffer but at the mo 

conway,Atkinson & Naismith would more than likely all started today Wilson on the little we have seen of him so far probably not , now Williams & Kalas out as well that’s 5 first teamers  not fit for Tuesday .

on another note bit harsh in my eyes get rid of Williams & Kalas not available enough , takes me back to the Brooker / Riberio days great players if and when fit , and the thing is you keep hoping .

It’s the problem with a small squad . We’ve done brilliantly with injury prevention & I 100% get having a small squad creates a togetherness & everyone is close to the squad. Down side is what we have now . 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, redkev said:

Williams is under contract for next season so we won’t be “getting rid”. Incidentally he’s also featured in 30 of our 34 league games this season, that’s hardly poor.

Rennie has incrementally increased his availability in both seasons since joining.

Think Kalas is highly unlikely to get another offer after today.

• Like 3

I get Low going out on loan to gain experience & Towler wasn’t even at the club when he joined Portsmouth but it’s very telling that when we’ve had the chance to use 9 subs we didn’t have one CB from the u21s involved.  We released Klose & sold Towler as we have better coming through in the clubs words but who is coming through and ready? Araoye looks decent but injured as is Knight Lebel so is there anyone who could be considered ready to cover our CB crisis or do we look at free agent market?

Edited by Shuffle

2 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

I get Low going out on loan to gain experience & Towler wasn’t even at the club when he joined Portsmouth but it’s very telling that when we’ve had the chance to use 9 subs we didn’t have one CB from the u21s involved.  We released Klose & sold Towler as we have better coming through in the clubs words but who is coming through and ready? Araoye looks decent but injured as is Knight Lebel so is there anyone who could be considered ready to cover our CB crisis or do we look at free agent market?

I think we just struggle through to the international break.  I do think injury record will be a key factor in summer signings.  I think it’s another reason in looking at younger players.

The decision to sell Towler gets more and more baffling as time goes bye - I’ve liked pretty much everything I’ve seen of Pearson’s reign so far (minus the Simpson signing) but I just can’t get my head round selling Ryley for the bag of peanuts we apparently got for him. 

8 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Was there any news on Kalas? Looked an impact injury, so could conceivably be patched up for the game. 

Went over the top of Connor Wickham, landed awkwardly ( looked like shoulder from the away end). Then went down again five minutes later and taken off.

Centre back is our biggest issue in the summer. Zak has improved this season but i still think we need better if we want to be serious play off challengers next season (i appreciate others may disagree).

With Big Rob out for a while and Kalas out of contract, i think we need 2 physically dominant centre backs.

• Like 1