IGNORED

Huddersfield Town away match thread

I think I’d like to see the team as;

O’Leary

Tanner Vyner Pring Dasilva

James Scott

Cornick 

Sykes Wells Mehmeti

If Wells is to be continued on the bench, I’d prefer to see Andi play there than Cornick or Bell and I’d prefer to see Cornick in Scotts role than Andi.

• Hmmm 1
38 minutes ago, grifty said:

O’Leary

James Scott

Cornick 

Sykes Wells Mehmeti

If Wells is to be continued on the bench, I’d prefer to see Andi play there than Cornick or Bell and I’d prefer to see Cornick in Scotts role than Andi.

I think you are spot on for Def and the 2 cm's.  I just wonder - Given Scott might go in the Summer might be worth using this as an opportunity to see Mehmeti in the 10 position. So you could keep the same line up, but move Conrnick into the front 3, or keep Bell in there. 

2 hours ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

NO POTD

Tickets on sale till 11am tomorrow. 

Don't understand that no POTD, we've sold about 300 tickets in an end that holds about 2500, not much chance of anyone making a late decision to go now. Fair play to the 300 that have bought tickets by the way.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, grifty said:

O’Leary

James Scott

Cornick 

Sykes Wells Mehmeti

Swap Weimann for Cornick and I wouldn't be surprised if that is the side that starts.

• Like 3

Max

Sykes       Tanner           Vyner        Pring

James         Taylor Clarke

Scotty

Andi                  Cornick           Mehmeti  

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
21 minutes ago, CityBS15 said:

0-0 all over this one 

You beat me to it. I was just about to post that I’d put my money on a 0-0 draw. They will surely be cagey after two successive 4-0 losses. With our injuries and their poor form, neither team will have the quality to break the other down.

18 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Big Tone this is especially for you ? I got a bit carried away, good luck with the condensed version!

Huddersfield under the lights in West Yorkshire which may be an omen, as we beat them at home under the lights on the last day of August, 

A huge shout out to anybody who is making the 400+ mile round trip from Bristol. The weather is looking chilly with snow showers and minus 4 forecast. The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) has issued a cold weather alert and has placed north-east England, north-west England and Yorkshire under a level three alert, with the rest of England at level two. The level three alert means there is a 90% chance of severely cold weather, icy conditions or heavy snow.

Their forum is gloomy with numerous posters seeing it as a must win and others suggesting their fate is already sealed https://downatthemac.proboards.com/thread/118477/huddersfield-town-thrice-champions-bristol?page=3.

15% predict a win and 67% a defeat.

Over the years our record is won 25, drawn 11 and lost 28.

It’s on the red button.

They serve as a good illustration of how bonkers parachute payments are. In 2018/19 they finished bottom of the Premier League and got £97m in media distributions; Norwich, who finished top of the Championship, got £8m. That’s a gap of £89m. Huddersfield had a great two years in the Premier League, pretty much out of the blue but brilliant that they got there. To put it into perspective, it would take 35 years in the EFL to earn the same money as they got in two years in the Premier League. That is the scale of the problem!

Back in September they sacked their manager Danny Schofield. https://www.htafc.com/news/2022/september/club-statement-danny-schofield

On 28 September Mark Fotheringham was appointed Head Coach of Huddersfield Town. The 38-year-old Scotsman’s contract runs until June 2025. In early February he was sacked after just four months in charge. The ex-Hertha Berlin assistant boss won only five of his 21 games in charge. Fotheringham's assistant Kenny Miller has also left the club, with Narcis Pelach put in interim charge.

In February they reappointed Neil Warnock for his second spell as manager, with the 74-year-old coming out of retirement to take charge. Warnock returned almost 30 years after his first stint, during which he led the Terriers to promotion via the third-tier play-offs in 1994-95. At the time of his appointment they were 23rd in the Championship and a point from safety. He became Huddersfield's third manager of the season, after Danny Schofield and Mark Fotheringham. Warnock's appointment, on a short-term basis until the end of the season, means he is the club's fifth permanent boss in less than three years.

Try this quiz to see how well you know Colin….. https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61073905

In his first press conference he included reference to the City fans…https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-neil-warnock-huddersfield-8160598

In his first game at the helm they beat Brum 2-1

They suffered a 4-0 defeat at home on Saturday, Neil Warnock admitted he was "crazy" to come out of retirement and take over at the John Smith's Stadium for a second time and the second-half showing from his charges against Coventry last time out will have done nothing to dissuade him from that viewpoint.

After the game Colin said ‘What we’ve got to do now is ruffle a few feathers and upset a few. There’s going to be a lot of people that we’re playing that need to win for one reason or another, and we’ve got to put spanners in the wheels now and have a bit of pride.’

While Coventry City boss Mark Robins said he could sense a 'strange atmosphere' at the John Smith's Stadium, and added that Huddersfield Town's lack of confidence was visible from the start.

In January they signed Florian Kamberi and right back Matt Lowton from Burnley FC, who will remain with Town on loan until the conclusion of the 2022/23 Sky Bet Championship season.

Lots of players have played for both teams including  Nahki Wells (144 games with 45 goals), Andy King (on loan) plus Jamie Paterson, Marcus Stewart, Andy May, Phil Jevons, Junior Bent, Kasey Palmer, Jack Hunt, Jamie McCombe, Jon Stead, Liam Robinson, Robbie Turner, Brian Clark, John Quigley and Phil Starbuck.

Their recent form is won one, drawn one and lost four (four points from 18) in their last six games they’ve conceded 15 and scored four. They currently occupy bottom place in the table with just eight wins this season.

Referee is Leigh Doughty who over the last 12 months has refereed 37 games, comprising 28 Championship games, 6 League Two games, 2 League One games and 1 FA Cup game. In addition he has been the fourth official 53 times. During this period he has issued 66 yellow cards at a rate of 1.78 per game and 1 red card at a rate of 0.03 per game. He will be assisted by  Mark Dwyer and George Byrne, the fourth official is Oliver Langford.

Why the Terriers?

The connection to Huddersfield lies with the ‘father’ of the Yorkshire terrier breed, Huddersfield Ben. Although not the first Yorkshire terrier to exist, Huddersfield Ben is commonly referred to as the foundation sire of the breed and was born, funnily enough, in Huddersfield in 1865. But it wasn’t until the 1969/1970 season that Huddersfield Town bore the nickname. Prior to this, most fans referred to the club as The Town, and the club had a plethora of mascots, including a goat, a replica of Aladdin’s lamp, and a stuffed donkey.

After Bill Brook became the promotion officer, he decided the club could do with a much-needed rebrand and settled on the trusty Yorkshire terrier as the ideal mascot and moniker. At the time, Town were chasing promotion and presumably wanting to solidify a strong club identity to keep the momentum going. And so, in the 1969/1970 season, the team wore blue and white striped shirts with the famous red terrier badge and the The Terriers nickname was born.

As part of Brook’s rebranding efforts, the club also adopted their first terrier mascot, which was an actual Yorkshire terrier called Skippy who lived in Honley. This would set off a long line of terrier mascots at the club, the most recent of whom are known as Tilly and Terry (unfortunately no longer actual dogs).

The nickname and mascot were initially announced in the home programme for the game against Bolton Wanderers on 27th September, 1969­­­­. The announcement included a photo of Skippy and a message from Frank Drabble, the chairman at the time, saying he had received lots of letters from younger supporters asking why other clubs had mascots but Huddersfield didn’t. 

His response? “I had never thought of the matter, but if it was their wish to have a mascot, we would do something about it”.

Interestingly, many loyal fans at the time were against the identity change, preferring to simply keep the tradition of referring to the club as The Town. Nevertheless, the nickname stuck and since then the club has leaned into the terrier nickname, particularly through David Wagner’s managerial years, where the terrier identity was referenced constantly throughout promotion and the Premier League seasons.

Here’s some useful inside info from a Huddersfield Town fan from one of The Scottish Inner Hebrideian Islands (Islay - Known as ‘The Queen of The Hebrides’ and also ‘The Whisky Isle’ ) who travels down twice a year to visit Huddersfield.

‘Huddersfield is a fantastic place to visit - nice hotels and excellent staff in them, I’ve lodged in Travelodge Huddersfield, The Ivy, The Cambridge Hotel, The Huddersfield Hotel, all really good experiences indeed. Travelodge Huddersfield is handy as it’s on Leeds Road and if you’re in a front room you open the curtains and see the beautiful John Smith’s stadium nestled down below the trees on The Kilner Bank and on a beautiful day with wall to wall sunshine and a Huddy Town blue sky it truly is a joy to behold ! (PS - It’s also very impressive for a night match under the lights.)

Huddersfield has beautiful views of the hills surrounding the town and the historic Victoria Tower (Castle Hill) to the South and to the East is the unique looking TV transmitter known as Emily Moor Mast.

The Town is well served with restaurants to suit every taste and palate and prices are very very reasonable indeed and near St. George’s is Eufisis restaurant and Lala’s curry house and two pubs in The lovely listed building of Huddersfield Railway Station - one is The Head of Steam and the other is The Kings Head. If you like your politics there is a big statue of the former UK prime minister in the square - His name was The Right Honourable Mr Harold Wilson.

No footy trip is complete without a visit to the pubs and Huddersfield has them by the dozen and having travelled the length and breadth of The UK and Ireland I’ve yet to find better prices ANYWHERE!

On match days The Boy and Barrel pub is reserved exclusively for away fans and is not a million miles from the stadium and it’s a nice walk in nice weather and mostly downhill on a gentle gradient, although according to some it’s a bit of a dump!

I went to Huddersfield Town v Bristol City a few years ago and it was a draw, I brought back a programme for the only Bristol City fan on Islay - our former shop owner in ma village Clive (he’s originally from Bath) but he retired and relocated to Renfrew to spend more time with his grandkids but we had many a chat and a few beers over ‘Huddy n’ Brizzle’ over the years.

And when I was down for ma game v The Robins your fans freely mixed cordially with Town fans in The Yorkshire Rose pub (see below) just beside the Travelodge Huddersfield near the ground so that one might be worth a visit also on your way to the match - and if you’re driving or don’t drink or have a hangover then Costa Coffee are their neighbours.’

Pubs

Away fans can mix in any of the pubs really. There's not much in the way of pubs near the ground, Turnbridge WMC, Aspley Marina, Peacock (if coming from the other side) but all are about 10 mins walk to the away end.

If you are wanting a few pints then probably best to get into town, it's a 15 minute walk. Some really good pubs in the centre of Huddersfield for afternoon drinking, anyone coming by train has two pubs built into the station on each side, both are worth a visit.

It's a bit shit apparently but the Boy and Barrell is the 'designated away fan pub' and will be Bristol City fans only drinking in there before the game.

Rat and Ratchet

40 Chapel Hill, Huddersfield HD1 3EB

Popular split-level pub with own-brew beers and plenty of guests including Ossett, good range of ciders/perries too, pork pies and sausage rolls, friendly staff; darts, pinball machine, quiz nights and live music; open all day Fri-Sun, from 3pm other days.

Sportsman

1 St John's Rd, Huddersfield HD1 5AY, https://www.facebook.com/SportsmanHuddersfield/

Restored1930s interior with lounge and two cosy side rooms, eight real ales and plenty of craft beers, friendly knowledgeable staff, pie menu served Fri-Sun; live music; dogs welcome, handy for station, open all day (till midnight Fri, Sat).

Star inn

7 Albert Street, Huddersfield, HD1 3PJ, https://www.facebook.com/thestarinnfollyhall/

Friendly unpretentious local with range of ten competitively priced ales kept well by enthusiastic landlady (in charge for 20 years), continental beers and real cider too, beer festivals in back marquee, open fire; open all day weekends, closed Mon and lunchtimes Tues-Fri.

The Grove

2 Spring Grove St, Huddersfield HD1 4BP, https://www.thegrove.pub

Friendly two-bar pub with huge selection of bottled beers (some gluten-free), up to 18 well kept/priced ales and 15 craft kegs, real cider, also an impressive range of whiskies and other spirits, knowledgeable staff, no food apart from interesting bar snacks, eclectic collection of artwork and taxidermy; live jazz and folk sessions; children (till 8pm) and dogs welcome, back terrace, open all day Sat, Sun, from 2pm other days.

Located in the heart of Huddersfield, a short stroll from the train station and a firm favourite for real ale and craft beer drinkers, the Grove has a phenomenal list of over 45 cask and craft keg ales (20 cask and 25 craft keg). (restricted until COVID restrictions lifted.) New breweries feature regularly, along with stouts, strong ales and real cider. In addition there is a superb list of over 100 + bottled beers. With a huge array of speciality whiskies, gins and rums and spirits from all over the world. We offer something for any discerning palette. We also have occasional live entertainment so be sure to check out our social media for our events. With a penchant for the unusual The Grove challenges more than your taste buds. Take a look at our ever changing artwork throughout both of our bars. All the artwork is as individual as our beer and is hand picked to challenge even the most hardened arty types.

The Yorkshire Rose (217 Leeds Road, Huddersfield HD1 6NW) https://www.yorkshirerosepub.co.uk has previously been popular with away fans. The pub stocks a wide selection of beers and offers good food, although fans are encouraged to arrive early as this is a small establishment and is likely to be busy on a match-day. 

The Turnbridge Working Men’s Club (9 St Andrew’s Road, Aspley, HD1 6SB)  https://www.facebook.com/Turnbridge-Working-Mens-Club-955182767866091 welcomes non-members and away fans on match-days. It is usually busy on match-days, so early attendance is advised. It is friendly for away supporters, cheap with decent ales/lagers.

The Magic Rock Tap Bar (Willow Park Business Centre, Willow Lane, Huddersfield HD1 5EB)  https://magicrockbrewing.com/pages/huddersfield-taproom offers excellent ales and good food as well, although it is about a mile or so from the ground, recommended by Huddersfield fans as a great away pub.

Supporters arriving by train may wish to frequent The Head of Steam or The King’s Head, https://www.theheadofsteam.co.uk/bars/huddersfield which features in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide, within the station itself.

The Parish (28 Kirkgate, Huddersfield, HD1 1QQ) https://parishpub.co.uk stocks a wide selection of alcohol as well as having a highly recommend food menu.

Early history of Huddersfield

Settlement in the Huddersfield area began over 4000 years ago with Neolithic man.  The most obvious evidence of early settlement is the hill fort at Castle Hill, at Almondbury to the south of the town.  This conspicuous landmark, with its stone Victoria Tower – built in 1899 to mark the Queen’s jubilee – was occupied from around 2100 BC.  Various defences were built here, the last being a strong Norman castle.

But the Normans were only the latest of a succession of early migrants to the area.   The earliest written reference to the inhabitants of this area is to the Brigantes, who were living here in the 1st century BC. They may have come from Bregenz, a region of Austria on the banks of Lake Constance.

The Brigantes were subdued by the Romans, who established a fort at Slack. The Roman troops stationed there came from various parts of Europe. Huddersfield & District Archaeological Society have done a great deal of research on Huddersfield’s Roman history, especially the fort at Slack (Outlane) and the Roman road which passed through it.

After the Romans had left, Angles and Saxons arrived, and the first Anglian settlement in the area may have been at Hillhouse.  It is unclear how far the Anglo-Saxon invasion displaced or destroyed the Romano-Celtic population, or how far they inter-married and merged together.

In the ninth century Viking incursions reached the area, though no clear indication of Viking settlement has survived.   The Norman invasion from 1066 brought major changes in landownership but little further population change until the last two centuries.

As the Normans occupied the North, Ilbert de Laci became lord of the manor of Huddersfield, as part of the wider Honour of Pontefract.  In 1086 the Domesday Book recorded that: ‘In Odersfelt Godwin had six carucates of land for geld where eight ploughs can be.  Now the same has it of Ilbert but it is waste.’

The de Laci family owned the manor of Huddersfield until 1322, when it became the property of the Crown.  In 1599 William Ramsden bought the manor and during the ownership of the Ramsden family, continuing until 1920, Huddersfield grew to form the basis of the town we know today.

By then the area had been welcoming new waves of migration for a century.

The West Yorkshire Archaeological Advisory Service have compiled a fact sheet on early Huddersfield.

The textile industries

Due to the poverty of the hilly land, local people found it difficult to produce sufficient food to support the growing population, and from early days the conversion of wool to cloth supplemented their incomes.  This was helped by a plentiful supply of wool and fast-running streams of soft water necessary for cloth production.

For centuries the industry was based in people’s homes or in small mills on upland streams.  During the industrial revolution of the late 18th and 19th centuries, the industry increasingly moved to larger mills in the valley bottoms – especially the Colne Valley.  Alongside the growth of textiles – which included cotton and linen as well as the dominant woollen industry – strong engineering and chemical industries developed to provide the necessary machinery and dyestuffs.

At different times the Ramsden family encouraged this growth.  They built a Cloth Hall (or textile market) in 1766, Sir John Ramsden’s Canal in 1780 and other facilities.  With their (eventual) support the railway arrived in the 1840s, with lines west to Manchester, east to Leeds and south to Sheffield.  Huddersfield Station, now a Grade 1 listed building, was described by John Betjeman as “the most splendid station facade in England” (see the head of this website).  The industrial wealth of the town in the 2nd half of the 19th century is reflected in its legacy of fine Victorian buildings.

Society and politics

Whilst quickening economic growth, the industrial revolution caused great social and political strains.  Huddersfield was at the centre of the Luddite agitation of 1811/12, when militant skilled workers broke up new textile machinery, and the campaigns of the 1830s and 1840s to limit factory hours and resist the workhouse-based New Poor Law of 1834.  A leading figure of both these campaigns, based in Huddersfield, was Richard Oastler, whose name the town commemorates in several ways.

Like many northern industrial towns, Huddersfield gained a seat in Parliament for the first time in 1832.  In the 19th century and on into the 20th it had a strong Liberal tradition.  More recently the Labour Party has been prominent, and holds the seat at present.  A son of the town, Sir Harold Wilson, Labour Prime Minister in the 1960s and 1970s, now has a statue to his memory in front of the station, and earlier Prime Ministers Asquith and Baldwin also had Huddersfield connections.

The town did not become an incorporated borough, with its own elected corporation, until 1868, but this soon became a pioneer in many municipal services, including tramways, public health and electricity supply. This was also the period when many schools were founded, after the 1870 Education Act &mhdash; although the oldest school in the area, King James’s Grammar School at Almondbury, goes back to 1608. Earlier in the 19th century Mechanics’ Institutes were founded to provide education for the working man, and these were the forerunners of today’s Kirklees College and Huddersfield University.

In 1920 the Ramsden family sold their estate to the Corporation for £1.3m, so Huddersfield became ‘the town that bought itself’.  Since 1974 it has come within the wider area administered by Kirklees Council – Kirklees being one of the five districts of West Yorkshire. 

Leisure time

Huddersfield people have formed many clubs and societies. 

The world-famous Huddersfield Choral Society was formed in 1836 and many other choirs and orchestras also maintain the town’s strong musical tradition.  There are annual musical events such as the ‘Mrs Sunderland’ competition, which began in 1889,  and the more recent Contemporary Music Festival.  The University’s music department has a high reputation, and brass bands abound in the area.

In the sporting field Huddersfield has held its head high with famous cricketers George Herbert Hirst, Wilfred Rhodes, Schofield Haigh and Percy Holmes.  More recently runner Derek Ibbotson broke the world record for the mile in 1957 and Anita Lonsbrough won the 200-metre breast stroke event in the 1960 Olympics.  (Both are commemorated in high-rise housing blocks close to the town centre.)  Huddersfield Town Football Club were Football League champions three year running in 1924-6 and now play at the modern John Smith Stadium (formerly the Galpharm Stadium), which was recognised as “Building of the Year” by the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1994.  The stadium is also home to Rugby League side the Huddersfield Giants; the Rugby League was formed at a meeting in the George Hotel in 1895.

Earthquakes!

The largest known earthquake in the UK happened offshore in the North Sea on 7 June 1931, with a magnitude of 6.1. Its epicentre was in the Dogger Bank area about 75 miles North East of of Great Yarmouth.

In 2008 an earth quake, measuring 5.2 on the Richter scale, the biggest to hit the UK since 1984, was felt by countless people throughout Huddersfield.

Lets get back to pre-Cardiff performances and travel home with three points COYR.

B5D27435-BD0E-4748-B4BC-00576F4BA08B.jpeg

Condensed Version

Huddersfield:

It's on the Red button

COYR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
9 hours ago, Malago said:

Max

Sykes       Tanner           Vyner        Pring

James         Taylor Clarke

Scotty

Andi                  Cornick           Mehmeti  

Good morning to you Lee...

This is going to be a real test of character for the lads. We are going into the game as favourites but we have injuries, a dip in form and a frontline who are not functioning correctly. There are no easy games in this division so I just want to see us on the proverbial ‘ front foot’ and give it a good go. 
I think the first goal is vital. 
A night for Nahki I hope.

Good luck to the courageous supporters who will sing us home with three points.

:clapping:

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Take that.

Every day of the week, mind you would have on Saturday, as well.

Expect us to line up;

O’Leary

James Scott

Weimann

Sykes Wells Mehmeti 

With 2 gaps on the bench I’d expect Wilson & Francois to join Haikin, King, Cornick, Bell & Taylor-Clarke.

• Like 1

Would love us to play on the ‘strange atmosphere’ that Robbins mentioned on Saturday and really come at them hard out of the traps and just keep going at them.   Even if this means we are open it would be worth the risk imho. However back in reality,  I think it will be incredibly tight and like all away games I’d be very happy with a point.