IGNORED

"Matty James will be a concern for the weekend...."

Curr Avon

Kermit Panic GIF - Kermit Panic - Discover & Share GIFs

On a serious note, here's the article...

Nigel Pearson reveals latest injury concern to Bristol City midfielder ahead of Blackpool test - Bristol Live (bristolpost.co.uk)

Nigel Pearson reveals latest injury concern to Bristol City midfielder ahead of Blackpool test

The central midfielder picked up a knock to the ankle in the first half during Tuesday's 0-0 draw with Huddersfield

Nigel Pearson has confirmed Matty James will be a doubt to face Blackpool at the weekend after taking a knock to the ankle in the draw at Huddersfield.

The midfielder looked in discomfort in the first half following an impact injury and was limping for periods after receiving treatment from the City physios. There were initial concerns about whether James would need to be replaced as Andi Weimann warmed up on the sidelines but he continued to play the full 90 minutes.

It's unclear when the injury occurred although he was on the receiving end of a dangerous tackle from Matty Pearson, in which his opponent went in with his leg raised. Referee Leigh Doughty brandished a yellow card which could have been a red on another day.

James moved more freely in the second half but Pearson's lack of options in the middle may have been in his mindset as he resisted substituting the 31-year-old. Academy prospect Omar Taylor-Clarke was the only natural midfielder on the bench as he awaits his league debut.

Speaking after the game, Pearson said: "Matty James will be a concern for the weekend just because of a problem he picked up with his ankle from a challenge in the first half. But he managed to play the full game which is a credit to him."

James has been one of City's most consistent and in-form players since the turn of the year and his absence would be another blow should he fail to recover for the visit of Mick McCarthy's Championship strugglers. Andy King made his first start this year and played the full game despite doubts he would be able to play the full game due to his recent lack of minutes.

Pearson is already dealing with a small injury crisis in his squad after confirming Joe Williams will miss the rest of the season with a hamstring injury while defender Tomas Kalas will be out of action for around six weeks.

"It's not good news I'm afraid, for Joe that will be his season finished so that's a disappointment for himself and for us," Pearson told BBC Radio Bristol. "He's been one of our really consistent performers as of late.

"Tomas will be out for around six weeks I would assume. It could be less but I don't want to build people's expectations up necessarily. It's a setback for Tomas so in the two games he's played he's been really good for us.

"It's never easy when players have to deal with injuries but certainly for those two who have had problems over the last year or so, it's a setback for them. And certainly, for us, it will be a miss because we've got a really tight squad so players will have to step up."

Edited by Curr Avon

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Start asking the question "do we really need a midfield?".

Very true. And our injury problems are becoming a rendition of "10 Green Bottles..." Where will it end?

Just to add to the article, I'm sure that Diara also stamped on Matty's ankle later in the first half.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

Very true. And our injury problems are becoming a rendition of "10 Green Bottles..." Where will it end?

Just to add to the article, I'm sure that Diara also stamped on Matty's ankle later in the first half.

Definitely did, typical Warnock tactic, along with Hogg repeatedly kicking Scott.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Claverham_Red said:

Not good news if James cannot recover in time. Omar Taylor-Clarke ready to start in his absence?

4 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Could drop Scott alongside King and play Weimann in the advanced role 

Much rather keep Scott in the advanced role and give Omar Taylor-Clarke a chance in midfield with Andy King. Ideal game for him to make his debut I'd have thought.

• Like 3

Just now, old_eastender said:

Much rather keep Scott in the advanced role and give Omar Taylor-Clarke a chance in midfield with Andy King. Ideal game for him to make his debut I'd have thought.

Normally I'd agree. But King hasn't got legs the best of times, especially after playing mid week. OTC would have to work double!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mozo said:

If only we had an energetic young French midfielder... :fear:

You talking about the same one that hasn't shown enough game upon game under 3 different managers to warrant a place in the starting 11, and is currently on loan until his contract is up?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Could we put Sykes back into a CM 3? Try it at least Saturday.

James, Sykes, Scott in CM in whatever configuration.

Weimann-Wells-Mehmeti up front. Sykes did play CM at Oxford last season, can drive forward a bit too. Or Cornick or Bell up front, take your pick front 3 wise.

I'd possibly go the other way and drop Weimann back into midfield. He's got the energy to get around the pitch and I'm not convinced the way our front 3 currently plays wholly suits him in that I think we want players to hold their position and he tends to be better when he can roam more. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'd possibly go the other way and drop Weimann back into midfield. He's got the energy to get around the pitch and I'm not convinced the way our front 3 currently plays wholly suits him in that I think we want players to hold their position and he tends to be better when he can roam more. 

Possibly although it worked under Holden, I'm unsure- yeah sure players are flexible, shapes can be fluid I'm unsure...don't want to be excessively chopping and changing but we lack a bit of forward momentum with Williams out.

It might be a bit retrograde but we do have the possibility of going back to a 3 at the back (Tanner Pring Vyner) with Sykes / Wilson (eventually) RWB and Jay on the left. Then play King with Scott in the middle and Andi in last season’s position which might get his mojo back, or Mehmeti. Then Wells and Bell as a 2 up front?

Given the time it took Nige to move away from this I don’t expect him to go back to it, but if it fits availability….?

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, downendcity said:

When it comes to injuries with us, it never rains but it pours!

It's a reason why, if Kalas goes, I think it's sensible to use his wages to get two players in rather than one. Going into a season with just 18-20 first team players (3 of whom are goalkeepers) is bold, and it means you're ****** with a few simultaneous injuries. This isn't a call for a return to the days of "clubs in the bag", but I think we can carry a squad of 20-22 first teamers.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I feel this is likely to happen.

Scott + King (to be replaced by OTC)

Weimann a big higher

1 hour ago, Claverham_Red said:

Not good news if James cannot recover in time. Omar Taylor-Clarke ready to start in his absence?

Interesting Nige said last night after the game that he didn’t want to unnecessarily expose youngsters, especially if it could damage their development.

I think personally it would be a huge risk to trust Omar Taylor-Clarke in a midfield duo with King who’s legs look well and truly gone.

I would personally go with Sykes in a midfield 3 as @Mr Popodopolous said and drop Scott and Weimann in with him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's a reason why, if Kalas goes, I think it's sensible to use his wages to get two players in rather than one. Going into a season with just 18-20 first team players is bold, and it means you're ****** with a few simultaneous injuries. This isn't a call for a return to the days of "clubs in the bag", but I think we can carry a squad of 20-22 first teamers.

Couldn't agree more. I cautioned those who a few games ago seemed confident that our rise up the table would be unstoppable, that we are only a few injuries away from a very difficult scenario.

Defenders and midfielders tend to pick up more injuries and suspensions than forwards, so it makes sense to have a slight surplus in those positions. 

As you say, not "clubs in the bag" but players you can actually use. 

• Like 5