IGNORED

"Matty James will be a concern for the weekend...."

Curr Avon

8 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Although Cornick has not set the world alight, perhaps could be a midfield option as I recall it being said he can play a number of positions 

Yep, I actually thought he was more of a attacking midfielder rather than out and out striker when we signed him, he's got plenty of experience so should be able to adapt.

18 hours ago, BCFC Rich said:

The other alternative I can think of - although also not great, is that you could play Pring and Tanner at CB with Sykes and Dasilva at FB. then play Vyner at CM. It's a role I actually think Vyner is pretty good at, but is a big compromise at CB. 

Another, left field, option would be to play Tanner and Vyner at CB and play Pring in midfield. He’s got the skill and athleticism  to play there. I don’t think it will happen but it might have done when NP was in his strange experimental phase of playing just about anyone at fullback 

• Confused 1

Has anyone seen Omar Taylor Clarke play (apart from the poster above)? To me it seems like he's one of the players Pearson wanted to keep around to make up numbers in training and who would benefit from training more with the first team squad or we couldn't secure a suitable league loan for him. You'd think the likes of Kadji and Owers would be ahead of him in the reckoning if they were not out on loan. Our centre back situation is the same-Low would probably be the next one on the bench. 

I guess now is as good a time as any to give Omar some minutes on the pitch with us inching ever closer to safety, although possibly from the bench if Pearson thinks it would be better to play a more experienced player out of position. 

It was pretty evident that this would happen at some point with our limited options in central midfield and defence and injury prone players such as Williams, James and Kalas. Good job we're not right in the heart of the relegation battle. 

James has been fantastic recently so I really pray that the cloggers at Huddersfield haven't ended the majority of his season. 

Attack is definitely our best/only form of defence at the moment with our array of options up top and dearth of options in defensive positions. 

Edited by dazza247
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, dazza247 said:

Has anyone seen Omar Taylor Clarke play (apart from the poster above)?

Yes. It looks like his game is being developed into more of a Korey Smith type, whereas last season I’m not sure he really had a “type”, just a “midfielder”…if that makes sense?

To me it seems like he's one of the players Pearson wanted to keep around to make up numbers in training and who would benefit from training more with the first team squad or we couldn't secure a suitable league loan for him.

Quite possibly initially.

You'd think the likes of Kadji and Owers would be ahead of him in the reckoning if they were not out on loan.

With Dylan having made his debut earlier this season and subsequently both Dylan and Omar in the squad around Xmas / New Year, I found it quite telling that it was Omar who got minutes against Swansea and West Brom, and Dylan allowed to go out on loan.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying Omar is ahead of him ability wise, just think he is the better fit as cover for our midfield, ie a midfielder who more energetic, rather than Kadji who is more Bakinson-like.

I’ve no idea what has happened to Owers this season.  In the u23s last season I thought he carried Kadji at times.  A pre-season stomach strain didn’t help after he’d been part of the travelling party to Austria.

Our centre back situation is the same-Low would probably be the next one on the bench.

Lincoln might have been a deciding factor in both Josh and Dylan’s loans this season.  One might argue Nige is sacrificing first team by letting them go out on loan, ie he’ll make do with what’s left around.

I guess now is as good a time as any to give Omar some minutes on the pitch with us inching ever closer to safety, although possibly from the bench if Pearson thinks it would be better to play a more experienced player out of position. 

I guess we’ll have to wait and see.  There’s only 3 games to navigate before the break and then hopefully some of the thin squad puts on a few pounds - return of Naismith, Conway and full fitness of Wilson.

It was pretty evident that this would happen at some point with our limited options in central midfield and defence and injury prone players such as Williams, James and Kalas. Good job we're not right in the heart of the relegation battle.

I’m pretty sure that’s the reason Dylan’s loan was on the last day on January…we knew we were safe.  Ditto Massengo too.

James has been fantastic recently so I really pray that the cloggers at Huddersfield haven't ended the majority of his season. 

Hopefully just an impact injury….hopefully just a precautionary scan yesterday (see @Der no.2 post)

Attack is definitely our best/only form of defence at the moment with our array of options up top and dearth of options in defensive positions.

I think what we are seeing is a manager making tough choices for the future benefit of the players and club.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dazza247 said:

Has anyone seen Omar Taylor Clarke play (apart from the poster above)? To me it seems like he's one of the players Pearson wanted to keep around to make up numbers in training and who would benefit from training more with the first team squad or we couldn't secure a suitable league loan for him. You'd think the likes of Kadji and Owers would be ahead of him in the reckoning if they were not out on loan. Our centre back situation is the same-Low would probably be the next one on the bench. 

OTC played for about half an hour at Swansea in the cup. Looked more than capable. Surprised he hasn't had more minutes from the bench with the likelihood of a midfield shortage looming.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

OTC played for about half an hour at Swansea in the cup. Looked more than capable. Surprised he hasn't had more minutes from the bench with the likelihood of a midfield shortage looming.

Did you go Sir Geoff?  There is no footage about, apart from the tv deal highlights package, Wyscout hasn’t even got it.  I really wanted to clip his actions, as the radio comms was very enthusiastic about him.

I’ve only got u23s (last season), u21s (limited this season due to no RTV) and the Exeter pre-season game to go on, other than the few minutes he’s come on late.  He looks to be an improving player.  Nige getting them up into the first team environment seems to really speed up their progress.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

One of the few games I've not managed to find a feed, I watched the Radio.
Sounded like he did well, put himself about and fired into a few tackles. I really thought he would have made his League Debut by now.

• Like 1

It's a shame about Williams?   But It seems likely that he is just not a three games a week player, as his physique does not seem to be able to withstand it?   He is a good squad player, but next season we will need young resilient midfielders, who can be relied upon to cope with the rigours of Championship football.   It is always a shame when a player's ability is overcome by their lack of physical well being, I can see Williams fading out of the picture long term, which will be a shame.............but that is the reality of week to week professional football?

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Did you go Sir Geoff?  There is no footage about, apart from the tv deal highlights package, Wyscout hasn’t even got it.  I really wanted to clip his actions, as the radio comms was very enthusiastic about him.

I’ve only got u23s (last season), u21s (limited this season due to no RTV) and the Exeter pre-season game to go on, other than the few minutes he’s come on late.  He looks to be an improving player.  Nige getting them up into the first team environment seems to really speed up their progress.

Not be surprised if he starts Saturday 

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I went and was really impressed. Extremely energetic and aggressive. Have to remember he came on during extra time with the game a draw. Sparked a bit of a fight with a forthright challenge.  I liked what I saw. Korey Smith is a good starting point..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Bard said:

I went and was really impressed. Extremely energetic and aggressive. Have to remember he came on during extra time with the game a draw. Sparked a bit of a fight with a forthright challenge.  I liked what I saw. Korey Smith is a good starting point..

I’ve managed to get the full match video (from a very nice person who frequents this forum).  It’s a bloody massive file, which I’m instantly gonna delete the first 100 mins of.  Then I’m gonna clip / screen record all the bits with Omar.  Gonna take me a while, but Mrs F is taking Mini Mrs F to Cornwall this weekend, so I have some time.  Might even get Joe to cut the video as he’s doing TV&Media at college.  Although he’ll expect to be paid to do it!  Kids, eh?  Hopefully there’ll be some stuff I can put on Twitter, then I can link here.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, maxjak said:

It's a shame about Williams?   But It seems likely that he is just not a three games a week player, as his physique does not seem to be able to withstand it?   He is a good squad player, but next season we will need young resilient midfielders, who can be relied upon to cope with the rigours of Championship football.   It is always a shame when a player's ability is overcome by their lack of physical well being, I can see Williams fading out of the picture long term, which will be a shame.............but that is the reality of week to week professional football?

No, because at Barnsley, Bolton and Wigan he had a very useful appearance record.

He may have become this way but there is one common factor with quite a few players who passed through here in a given period.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

No, because at Barnsley, Bolton and Wigan he had a very useful appearance record.

He may have become this way but there is one common factor with quite a few players who passed through here in a given period.

I understand where u r coming from.........but as they gets older, the wear and tear on some players bodies has a cumulative effect.  I hope i am wrong, but I can see him being let go at the end of his present contract.  Lets hope he makes a full recovery, but if he cannot be relied upon to  stay fit, he will be overtaken by other midfielders, and slip down the pecking order?    On his day he is excellent, i just hope those days return on a regular basis?  Next season will be a very big season for him.........as his contract runs out at it's end, and 54 appearances ( i thinks that is correct?) in nearly 3 seasons doesn;t look good?

Edited by maxjak

2 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I understand where u r coming from.........but as they gets older, the wear and tear on some players bodies has a cumulative effect.  I hope i am wrong, but I can see him being let go at the end of his present contract.  Lets hope he makes a full recovery, but if he cannot be relied upon to  stay fit, he will be overtaken by other midfielders, and slip down the pecking order?    On his day he is excellent, i just hope those days return on a regular basis?

I get that argument but he only turned 26 in December. Way he plays can impact on robustness but he was a robust CM at 3 clubs until he wasn't, which coincided with poor medical decisions here.

Clearly if the injuries persist then there is a decision to be made.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I get that argument but he only turned 26 in December. Way he plays can impact on robustness but he was a robust CM at 3 clubs until he wasn't, which coincided with poor medical decisions here.

I agree with this, I think our previous medical team inflicted this on him sad to say.

• Like 1

We've already enough injury problems so I wouldn't risk another key player.

O'Leary; Tanner, Vyner, Pring, Dasilva; Sykes, Scott, Weimann; Cornick, Wells, Mehmeti.

Scott more playmaker than attacking midfielder because with such a midfield we should try to be more balanced, so Mehmeti should also do some of Scott's usual work, linking midfield and attack. Cornick in the starting XI because he needs to play in order to gain more confidence with the team, but also because Bell is running like a fool in every match and could benefit from some rest.

King as first sub for midfield, with Sykes or Weimann possibly pushed forward.

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Like 1