IGNORED

"Matty James will be a concern for the weekend...."

Curr Avon

5 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Interesting Nige said last night after the game that he didn’t want to unnecessarily expose youngsters, especially if it could damage their development.

I think personally it would be a huge risk to trust Omar Taylor-Clarke in a midfield duo with King who’s legs look well and truly gone.

I would personally go with Sykes in a midfield 3 as @Mr Popodopolous said and drop Scott and Weimann in with him.

I find that comment pretty bizarre tbh.

1 minute ago, bengalcub said:

Is there a clause to recall Massengo ? 
were massively overstretched and need the numbers 

Why would we want to recall someone who has no future at the club? Rather we play a youngster.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

We don't have much choice right now.

We don't have much choice in that he has to start, but leaving him out there for another 90mins just puts us at risk of losing another player to injury. 

30 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think you might see Taylor-Clark come on for him, but I would be surprised if King didn't start. 

I think you're right, and even if Pearson doesn't think it is quite the right time, I don't think he has much choice. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Is there a clause to recall Massengo ? 
were massively overstretched and need the numbers 

Can't recall a loan at that level outside of a transfer window.

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Couldn't agree more. I cautioned those who a few games ago seemed confident that our rise up the table would be unstoppable, that we are only a few injuries away from a very difficult scenario.

Defenders and midfielders tend to pick up more injuries and suspensions than forwards, so it makes sense to have a slight surplus in those positions. 

You make sure you've a spread of ages/experience/career stage. Have a main player in their prime, a young understudy to push them, and an older player to guide. Not all positions need all three of those, but that's how you keep players happy if/when all are actually fit.

It's doable. We can pad the squad with a few 30/31 year olds, plus players in their early 20s.

Should be an intriguing summer window.

3 minutes ago, James54De said:

How many times does this need to be covered. You can not recall loans outside the window. (Extreme exceptions)

Next season we really need a pinned thread of "FAQs". Should cover loan rules, yellow card ban numbers, red card suspension rules, basic FFP rules, player registration stuff. Just all those things that get asked again and again and the answers are in reality just a Google away.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 6
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Next season we really need a pinned thread of "FAQs". Should cover loan rules, yellow card ban numbers, red card suspension rules, basic FFP rules, player registration stuff. Just all those things that get asked again and again and the answers are in reality just a Google away.

Just searched “recall”. Has been covered 16 times in the last two weeks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Interesting Nige said last night after the game that he didn’t want to unnecessarily expose youngsters, especially if it could damage their development.

I think personally it would be a huge risk to trust Omar Taylor-Clarke in a midfield duo with King who’s legs look well and truly gone.

I would personally go with Sykes in a midfield 3 as @Mr Popodopolous said and drop Scott and Weimann in with him.

He also said that he might have to use them in the coming games.  Think the bit you reference might’ve been more about bringing OTC on at 0-0 last 10-15 minutes when we were starting to be put under pressure.

Sometimes it’s better to start them and let them find the pace of the game naturally.

But I’m also very much playing a guessing / 2+2=5 game!

11 minutes ago, James54De said:

Just searched “recall”. Has been covered 16 times in the last two weeks.

Good recall ?

49 minutes ago, Super said:

I find that comment pretty bizarre tbh.

It all depends which youngsters Pearson deems as first team ready so to speak. Clearly Bell, Conway and obviously Scott fall into that ‘first team ready’ category as Pearson has already shown faith/trust in those 3 and given them countless starts already this season.

Its if he see’s Taylor-Clarke in the same category as the above 3 or if he feels he isn’t quite ready to start a championship game yet.

It’s all about protecting younger players and is IMO good man management. You only have to go back to the Lincoln game with Joe low to see what potential damage can be done if a young lad isn’t quite ready. 

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

It all depends which youngsters Pearson deems as first team ready so to speak. Clearly Bell, Conway and obviously Scott fall into that ‘first team ready’ category as Pearson has already shown faith/trust in those 3 and given them countless starts already this season.

Its if he see’s Taylor-Clarke in the same category as the above 3 or if he feels he isn’t quite ready to start a championship game yet.

It’s all about protecting younger players and is IMO good man management. You only have to go back to the Lincoln game with Joe low to see what potential damage can be done if a young lad isn’t quite ready. 

I do get that but now is an ideal time to put them in (I'm not talking lots). We are doing well there isn't the pressure of a promotion push or a relegation battle. I'd rather see a youngster in than start Andy King.

I get your point though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr X said:

It's a bit of a jump for Taylor-Clarke to be starting in the Championship given that he was on loan at Yate earlier this season. 

Very true. If he's holding his own in 1st team training, I'm happy that they chuck him in. The team selection will probably tell us where his development is.

Only need a Scott booking Saturday to see us really light in that department for Luton and Swansea away next week. Maybe an idea to give James until Tuesday so that we have either both Scott and James or at least one of them available at Luton.

5 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Kermit Panic GIF - Kermit Panic - Discover & Share GIFs

On a serious note, here's the article...

Nigel Pearson reveals latest injury concern to Bristol City midfielder ahead of Blackpool test - Bristol Live (bristolpost.co.uk)

Nigel Pearson reveals latest injury concern to Bristol City midfielder ahead of Blackpool test

The central midfielder picked up a knock to the ankle in the first half during Tuesday's 0-0 draw with Huddersfield

Nigel Pearson has confirmed Matty James will be a doubt to face Blackpool at the weekend after taking a knock to the ankle in the draw at Huddersfield.

The midfielder looked in discomfort in the first half following an impact injury and was limping for periods after receiving treatment from the City physios. There were initial concerns about whether James would need to be replaced as Andi Weimann warmed up on the sidelines but he continued to play the full 90 minutes.

It's unclear when the injury occurred although he was on the receiving end of a dangerous tackle from Matty Pearson, in which his opponent went in with his leg raised. Referee Leigh Doughty brandished a yellow card which could have been a red on another day.

James moved more freely in the second half but Pearson's lack of options in the middle may have been in his mindset as he resisted substituting the 31-year-old. Academy prospect Omar Taylor-Clarke was the only natural midfielder on the bench as he awaits his league debut.

Speaking after the game, Pearson said: "Matty James will be a concern for the weekend just because of a problem he picked up with his ankle from a challenge in the first half. But he managed to play the full game which is a credit to him."

James has been one of City's most consistent and in-form players since the turn of the year and his absence would be another blow should he fail to recover for the visit of Mick McCarthy's Championship strugglers. Andy King made his first start this year and played the full game despite doubts he would be able to play the full game due to his recent lack of minutes.

Pearson is already dealing with a small injury crisis in his squad after confirming Joe Williams will miss the rest of the season with a hamstring injury while defender Tomas Kalas will be out of action for around six weeks.

"It's not good news I'm afraid, for Joe that will be his season finished so that's a disappointment for himself and for us," Pearson told BBC Radio Bristol. "He's been one of our really consistent performers as of late.

"Tomas will be out for around six weeks I would assume. It could be less but I don't want to build people's expectations up necessarily. It's a setback for Tomas so in the two games he's played he's been really good for us.

"It's never easy when players have to deal with injuries but certainly for those two who have had problems over the last year or so, it's a setback for them. And certainly, for us, it will be a miss because we've got a really tight squad so players will have to step up."

Referee Leigh Doughty brandished a yellow card which could have been a red on another day.

You mean on another day when they weren't playing Bristol City !

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, mozo said:

Very true. If he's holding his own in 1st team training, I'm happy that they chuck him in. The team selection will probably tell us where his development is.

I've watched most of his games at home for Yate. 

He showed glimpses of ability, however at that level it's all about the physicality of a player. 

Much of the game would pass him by. No way does it reflect on how the academy and first team play. 

He didn't stand out as a player that was capable of Championship football. In saying that...Tyrone Ming's didn't stand out as a potential England player when he played for a Yate.

Tinnion knows exactly what he's doing imo. Having an ' eye' at that level is another level... immense. 

Seeing it higher up is easy. The majority of City loans at Yate have never really stood out. Technically...yes...but otherwise...you'd never go ' wow'.

But fit them in with a system and others above their level...then it changes.

OTC  from his period at Yate is no way near Championship level. I've been pleasantly surprised at his inclusion in the match day squad. I hope and wish him to prove me wrong and Tins right.

In saying that...he was ahead of Prince Henry.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Kermit Panic GIF - Kermit Panic - Discover & Share GIFs

On a serious note, here's the article...

Nigel Pearson reveals latest injury concern to Bristol City midfielder ahead of Blackpool test - Bristol Live (bristolpost.co.uk)

Nigel Pearson reveals latest injury concern to Bristol City midfielder ahead of Blackpool test

The central midfielder picked up a knock to the ankle in the first half during Tuesday's 0-0 draw with Huddersfield

Nigel Pearson has confirmed Matty James will be a doubt to face Blackpool at the weekend after taking a knock to the ankle in the draw at Huddersfield.

The midfielder looked in discomfort in the first half following an impact injury and was limping for periods after receiving treatment from the City physios. There were initial concerns about whether James would need to be replaced as Andi Weimann warmed up on the sidelines but he continued to play the full 90 minutes.

It's unclear when the injury occurred although he was on the receiving end of a dangerous tackle from Matty Pearson, in which his opponent went in with his leg raised. Referee Leigh Doughty brandished a yellow card which could have been a red on another day.

James moved more freely in the second half but Pearson's lack of options in the middle may have been in his mindset as he resisted substituting the 31-year-old. Academy prospect Omar Taylor-Clarke was the only natural midfielder on the bench as he awaits his league debut.

Speaking after the game, Pearson said: "Matty James will be a concern for the weekend just because of a problem he picked up with his ankle from a challenge in the first half. But he managed to play the full game which is a credit to him."

James has been one of City's most consistent and in-form players since the turn of the year and his absence would be another blow should he fail to recover for the visit of Mick McCarthy's Championship strugglers. Andy King made his first start this year and played the full game despite doubts he would be able to play the full game due to his recent lack of minutes.

Pearson is already dealing with a small injury crisis in his squad after confirming Joe Williams will miss the rest of the season with a hamstring injury while defender Tomas Kalas will be out of action for around six weeks.

"It's not good news I'm afraid, for Joe that will be his season finished so that's a disappointment for himself and for us," Pearson told BBC Radio Bristol. "He's been one of our really consistent performers as of late.

"Tomas will be out for around six weeks I would assume. It could be less but I don't want to build people's expectations up necessarily. It's a setback for Tomas so in the two games he's played he's been really good for us.

"It's never easy when players have to deal with injuries but certainly for those two who have had problems over the last year or so, it's a setback for them. And certainly, for us, it will be a miss because we've got a really tight squad so players will have to step up."

My Christ. That tells us everything we need to know…..

Little wonder we are where we are! ?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Can’t see King being able to play another 90 mins on Sat - possibly an hour but no more.

If James is out, I’d start with Scott alongside King with AW in the 10.

Would also be tempted to rest Bell and start with Mehmeti….

Kingy is gonna be like a coiled spring after sitting in the bench so often!!

(hopefully not a rusty one)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

Maybe if Nige wasn’t so against the loan market we wouldn’t be in this mess. 

Given our track record with loanees getting crocked in their first game, we could have been in an even worse mess!

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Would it really have been worth spending a million or two on a couple of loanees to finish 10th rather than 14th ?

That’s the Barton way, borrow 5 players every window, lose them to their parent clubs at the end of the season, or in one case to a side higher placed in the next window, then do exactly the same thing again next season.

Our plan of developing our own players & a smarter, less scattergun approach to transfers than under Ashton is far more effective.

I’ve actually enjoyed the fact that Pearson hasn’t had a single loan player & everyone who has featured is “ours”.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 12
  • Robin 2