IGNORED

Blackpool at home match thread

Watching live on Be In Sports in OZ. You are correct he did not need to go down to get the penalty. However, it was stated it was still a foul and if he went down a penalty should have been awarded or after that state of play a free in direct kick where the trip occurred inside the penalty box. I got a bit confused but thinking about it now it makes sense. The ref over all was quite good and the game was free flowing.

Mehmeti on his last third of play is the issue he has. Does he keep the ball too long and does he need to play a bit more direct. Within the next few months, he will be one of the best assets the club has.

It was a great game to watch, and the goals were fantastic. We were though lucky Blackpool did not score their sitter in the first half as the game then might have turned out a bit differently.

On the tele I did note that there were loads of empty seats in the stadium. What was the final attendance. If we keep playing like we did yesterday the seats will fill on the next few home games.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, City oz said:

Watching live on Be In Sports in OZ. You are correct he did not need to go down to get the penalty. However, it was stated it was still a foul and if he went down a penalty should have been awarded or after that state of play a free in direct kick where the trip occurred inside the penalty box. I got a bit confused but thinking about it now it makes sense. The ref over all was quite good and the game was free flowing.

Mehmeti on his last third of play is the issue he has. Does he keep the ball too long and does he need to play a bit more direct. Within the next few months, he will be one of the best assets the club has.

It was a great game to watch, and the goals were fantastic. We were though lucky Blackpool did not score their sitter in the first half as the game then might have turned out a bit differently.

On the tele I did note that there were loads of empty seats in the stadium. What was the final attendance. If we keep playing like we did yesterday the seats will fill on the next few home games.

For all we know, the instructions given to Mehmeti might be to drive into the box and take players on. As we've established, it should have earned us a penalty yesterday in which case the method works.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, City oz said:

Your paragraph reference Mehmeti is my big interest of the moment.

He has speed, good ball control and is not afraid to mix it up with defenders. 

However, as we can all see, he isn't the finished article yet. I'm not a coach but a lifetime of watching leads me to two things where he could improve and I feel sure that the coaches are well aware of.

When he goes on a run past defenders, he appears to be looking for a shot himself. Whereas the majority of times, it should be leading to a pass for a colleague to have the final attempt on goal.

When he's on the touchline and beats a defender, he has a habit of trying to beat the same defender again instead of a pass to a teammate and move for the return. Scott does this brilliantly. It's a fault that HNM also had, beating a defender two or three times and ending up conceding possession.

He will learn and improve game by game and there will be a time like Scott a long time ago, that we'll wonder why we doubted him.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, 2015 said:

Definitely one of the better Championship Ref's. Think he did a couple of other Home matches for us early on this season too

I am not normally complimentary about the standard of officiating...he didn't unduly impact the game....so good run out.

All Refs in this league need to start gripping balls being kicked away, travelling on throw ins and have a little more consistency on what is and is not a foul (soldier barge goes against us then isn't blown for a free kick in our favour later) - genuinely breaks me.

Edited by MelksRed
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It was and Don Goodman made that very point on the commentary that he shouldn`t have to go down to get the penalty. Anywhere else on the pitch it`s a foul.

I agree , he was deffo caught by the defender , if the refs don’t give those you can now see why players go down 

• Like 1

On the subject of Anis , we can all see his strengths and weakness, he obviously has pace can beat a man has a shot on him can go either way , we can see he holds onto the ball a little to long with a little show boating but ( different level ) didn’t a certain Cristiano Ronaldo have same flaws when he first rocked up at united . 
one thing I do like about him he likes to get stuck in and works very hard unlike a lot of wingers , loved the bit in the first half when there defender went right through him on the landsdown side touchline and he just jumped looked at the defender and jogged straight back on the pitch as if to say that the best you got , most wingers would still be rolling around crying now .  By far not the finished article but a lot of promise as long as he keeps his feet on the ground and works hard .

• Like 6
3 hours ago, City oz said:

I honestly don’t have an issue with how long he keeps the ball at his feet…I think he’s improved that significantly already in his short time here.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1
2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

When he's on the touchline and beats a defender, he has a habit of trying to beat the same defender again instead of a pass to a teammate and move for the return.

I'm hoping they haven't caught him to late in his career for him to be able to change that habit.

Your comment got me thinking about Jacki - I think he used to go looking for defenders to beat and then see how many times he could do it before he got bored.

On 11/03/2023 at 10:10, gl2 said:

very likely, fouls a plenty and bookings; we need to be at it from the off, fear we could be looking to the summer hols and looks like we will be far from a 1st choice team to start.

Patched up team v a team fighting for survival.....will be close and could go either way.

Not criticising your post at all which would have seemed to be a fair assessment going into the game at 10:10am yesterday BUT as it turned out Blackpool went down with a whimper. A League 1 standard side who didn't even have the guts to put it in for their fans............"fighting" to survive seemed to be the last thing on their minds yesterday.  Imagine the meltdown on here if that was us in their position and we served that display up when a win would get to within spitting distance of the next team in the danger area!! Quite rightly so, too. I think Mick was completely shocked at what they served up tbh. You could tell from the degree of animation that Terry Connor would have taken a few of them into the Car Park for a bit of a sort out after if he was allowed to!!

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Not criticising your post at all which would have seemed to be a fair assessment going into the game at 10:10am yesterday BUT as it turned out Blackpool went down with a whimper. A League 1 standard side who didn't even have the guts to put it in for their fans............"fighting" to survive seemed to be the last thing on their minds yesterday.  Imagine the meltdown on here if that was us in their position and we served that display up when a win would get to within spitting distance of the next team in the danger area!! Quite rightly so, too. I think Mick was completely shocked at what they served up tbh. You could tell from the degree of animation that Terry Connor would have taken a few of them into the Car Park for a bit of a sort out after if he was allowed to!!

Think some of their performance was down to how well we played.

• Like 3