IGNORED

All kicking off in Napoli

spudski

9 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Not sure about historically, but in recent years they’ve caused problems all over the place. 

They're a bit of an anomaly because you tend to find German clubs fans (in general) are better behaved than English clubs. Frankfurt seem a real exception, as you said; caused issues everywhere recently. 

56 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

They're a bit of an anomaly because you tend to find German clubs fans (in general) are better behaved than English clubs. Frankfurt seem a real exception, as you said; caused issues everywhere recently. 

It's political.

They have made a bond with Atalanta who have ultra left wing idealogy. 

Atalanta have a bit of an old Millwall feel to them...as in they thrive in no one liking them. 

They've got some of the nastiest yobs in Italy. 

My lasting memory of them was at Zidane's last game for Juve in 2001. The Atalanta fans started ripping seats out and throwing them. The Police ran and even let some of them just carry on. 

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's political.

They have made a bond with Atalanta who have ultra left wing idealogy. 

Atalanta have a bit of an old Millwall feel to them...as in they thrive in no one liking them. 

They've got some of the nastiest yobs in Italy. 

My lasting memory of them was at Zidane's last game for Juve in 2001. The Atalanta fans started ripping seats out and throwing them. The Police ran and even let some of them just carry on. 

I think the association of Atalanta with the Communist Party of Italy is historical and doesn't really apply nowadays.

Bergamo, like other Lombardy cities with large immigrant populations, has lots of Northern League and Brothers Of Italy voters. 

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think the association of Atalanta with the Communist Party of Italy is historical and doesn't really apply nowadays.

Bergamo, like other Lombardy cities with large immigrant populations, has lots of Northern League and Brothers Of Italy voters. 

Oh it still does RR. Most of the extremists in Italy attach themselves to football clubs. 

The whole political system comes out on a ' Sunday afternoon ' at most grounds. 

It's completely different to here. 

If you want to vent your political frustrations or allegiance, it's done at the football. 

It's not always representative of the City. Often historical like you imply. However Atalanta are what they are, regardless.

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

Oh it still does RR. Most of the extremists in Italy attach themselves to football clubs. 

The whole political system comes out on a ' Sunday afternoon ' at most grounds. 

It's completely different to here. 

If you want to vent your political frustrations or allegiance, it's done at the football. 

It's not always representative of the City. Often historical like you imply. However Atalanta are what they are, regardless.

This rather out-of-date but well-researched guide suggests that the bulk of Atalanta Ultras are now apolitical. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/07/atalanta-serie-a-club-guide-ground-ultras-caniggia

But yes, football and politics collide in Italy in a way they do not in England much.

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

This rather out-of-date but well-researched guide suggests that the bulk of Atalanta Ultras are now apolitical. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/07/atalanta-serie-a-club-guide-ground-ultras-caniggia

But yes, football and politics collide in Italy in a way they do not in England much.

Most fans are apolitical at the grounds RR...however the Ultras are something else. And it's the minority that make the noise and get the focus. They have battles amongst themselves, new leaders trying to out do the old leader. Different points of views etc. It's a forever evolving cycle. Atalanta have definitely gone back to their old ways.

The curves are full of ' gangs' each following their leader. All trying to out muscle one another.

Having followed Lazio for years, and travelled to many grounds, I've seen it first hand many times. 

It's very complex.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, spudski said:

Most fans are apolitical at the grounds RR...however the Ultras are something else. And it's the minority that make the noise and get the focus. They have battles amongst themselves, new leaders trying to out do the old leader. Different points of views etc. It's a forever evolving cycle. Atalanta have definitely gone back to their old ways.

The curves are full of ' gangs' each following their leader. All trying to out muscle one another.

Having followed Lazio for years, and travelled to many grounds, I've seen it first hand many times. 

It's very complex.

I know. I had an apartment in Umbria and watched the (original) Perugia. 

They'd shutter the whole city when the Lazio ***** were in town.  ? ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I know. I had an apartment in Umbria and watched the (original) Perugia. 

They'd shutter the whole city when the Lazio ***** were in town.  ? ?

Perugia is one place I never watched footy...only visited on my travels, but what a lovely place. Very lucky man ?

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Perugia is one place I never watched footy...only visited on my travels, but what a lovely place. Very lucky man ?

It is lovely, and despite my tongue-in-cheek Lazio references above, one of my mates from those days was the bloke who ran Perugia's Irish bar. He was a Lazio fanatic, which isn't a way to make friends in Umbria. 

Not sure we can read much into an "email threat", probably sent by some bored school kids. The fans football team is just a load of scarfers that follow England away, what exactly were these ultras going to do?

The reality is, Italy has some of the tightest restrictions and toughest punishments for hooligans. Everyone attending the game will need to show ID/passport, and it is actually enforced. Naples will be on lockdown by the police.

I can see there being a bit of bother, but the carnage predicted by some is a bit OTT.

• Like 1

On 16/03/2023 at 11:19, bcfc01 said:

Been to Naples a number of times - but always for one night only (where we stay in the hotel rather than venture out), then onto the ferry or train to get to where we are going.

Dirtiest shithole of a place I've ever visited.

Have you been to Genoa? - has it's own charm ?

19 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not sure we can read much into an "email threat", probably sent by some bored school kids. The fans football team is just a load of scarfers that follow England away, what exactly were these ultras going to do?

The reality is, Italy has some of the tightest restrictions and toughest punishments for hooligans. Everyone attending the game will need to show ID/passport, and it is actually enforced. Naples will be on lockdown by the police.

I can see there being a bit of bother, but the carnage predicted by some is a bit OTT.

The Italian Ultras, don't think like our hooligan element. 

Anyone is fair game...scarfer or not. Especially if you are English. 

There are numerous groups of Ultras at Napoli. All vying to be the best and out do one another. 

As for ID...it's sporadic. They'll check away fans more often, but rarely home fans. You can just hold up your ID, they very rarely check it or it corresponds with ticket. 

Naples is still corrupt, still has massive mafia influence. 

Police, stewards, bars, shops, all ' bought' for info or told what to do. 

Naples is not comparable to the majority of the rest of Italy. 

Imo, if there is any trouble it will be away from the ground, and focussed on any bars where English fans are gathered. They'll get tipped off as to where English fans are. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spudski said:

The Italian Ultras, don't think like our hooligan element. 

Anyone is fair game...scarfer or not. Especially if you are English. 

There are numerous groups of Ultras at Napoli. All vying to be the best and out do one another. 

As for ID...it's sporadic. They'll check away fans more often, but rarely home fans. You can just hold up your ID, they very rarely check it or it corresponds with ticket. 

Naples is still corrupt, still has massive mafia influence. 

Police, stewards, bars, shops, all ' bought' for info or told what to do. 

Naples is not comparable to the majority of the rest of Italy. 

Imo, if there is any trouble it will be away from the ground, and focussed on any bars where English fans are gathered. They'll get tipped off as to where English fans are. 

Worth noting that the horrendous scenes and treatment of Liverpool fans in May 22 in Paris was almost entirely outside of the ground. 

Marauding armed gangs of the local thugs targeted both Liverpool and Real Madrid fans, prior to and after the match, with the police and stewards practically unable to assert any control or protection. 

I really hope everyone travelling is safe. 

• Thanks 1