IGNORED

All kicking off in Napoli

spudski

1 hour ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

It doesn't look like that when Gino D'Acampo is cooking his food on TV.

My wife's family are from a small town 50 miles east of Napoli. They would give it a miss too.

So rough, that Gino still had to maintain local credibility by robbing Paul Young!

Wrong 'uns!

• Haha 1

We went last weekend to watch the Napoli Lazio match. Some parts of the city feel a bit old and dirty in places and is very hectic but never felt unsafe there at all. Certainly didn’t feel like it deserved the reputation it has. They are also obsessed with Maradona. Never been somewhere where everything seems to be so devoted to one person!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Zookeeper WSM said:

We went last weekend to watch the Napoli Lazio match. Some parts of the city feel a bit old and dirty in places and is very hectic but never felt unsafe there at all. Certainly didn’t feel like it deserved the reputation it has. They are also obsessed with Maradona. Never been somewhere where everything seems to be so devoted to one person!

The locals can’t have been too happy with the result that day either!!

The film “The Hand of God” is well worth watching if you haven’t already seen it. Very much about growing up in Napoli. 

• Like 2

Been to Naples a number of times - but always for one night only (where we stay in the hotel rather than venture out), then onto the ferry or train to get to where we are going.

Dirtiest shithole of a place I've ever visited.

I've been to Napoli a few times. 

It does have a lot of crime, but it's very rarely against tourists. Mostly drugs, extortion and gang related. 

It's a bit like visiting Rio...if you stick to the ' correct areas' then you won't find trouble. Don't wear Jewellery or flash watches etc. 

It's been run down for many years. Just read up on it's history in the past century. 

It's an attack on all the senses, in the same way the Medina in Marrakech hits you for the first time. Definitely has a completely different feel to other parts of Italy. Almost Arabic, African. 

It's worth going just for the experience. Then from Napoli get to Pompeii and down the Amalfi Coast for a more relaxed experience. 

This is worth a watch to get a feel of the people. 

This is also an entertaining film on BBC iPlayer about life as a gang member in Napoli and gives an idea on how the corruption works, and how people live often hand to mouth. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000yw74/piranhas

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Been to Naples a number of times - but always for one night only (where we stay in the hotel rather than venture out), then onto the ferry or train to get to where we are going.

Dirtiest shithole of a place I've ever visited.

I’m guessing you haven’t been to Bridgwater then! 

• Haha 3