IGNORED

Assuming he goes

James54De

1 hour ago, brad blit said:

Playing devils advocate here, but if/when Scott is sold how much would we really miss him?

Im not denying he's a fantastic footballer, but in terms of what he currently brings to the team (and what we probably need right now) would the money not be welcome if we can actually get a more creative midfielder who can give us more assists and goals from centre of pitch? 

Tin hat on........

I actually get what you’re saying.

But I also think “what would our midfield look like without him”?  I think he’s actually a bit more important than I think some of us realise at times, me included.  Bit of taking him for granted.  I made that mistake a bit with Brownhill…I don’t want to make it again! ?

As for value / fee, no idea.  We all agree there needs to be a sell-on percentage, but I also think we should be including the other clauses like 20, 40, 60, 80 appearance pay-outs, or next level(s) international caps. Achieving a Sell-on percentage might be years and years down the line, and although welcome at any point, we have seen with Brownhill, Kelly and Webster, they don’t happen when you need them most.  We’ve earned money from those three for things like relegation-avoidance clauses.

All good fun to speculate though. ???

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I think this is highly likely & £12m seems to be a very probable “up front” fee.

Scott isn’t going to want to stay once there is serious Prem interest & even if Spurs aren’t in for him, should the likes of Brighton, Wolves & Leicester be, he’ll be off. The contract until 2025 just ensures we get a fee, nothing more.

We can look at add ons & a sell on clause too but I said £12m each for Semenyo & Scott last week & stand by that.

Should they both depart (I reckon Semenyo is certain to do so) & potentially Martin & HNM going too, this will be the biggest rebuild in January in a very long while.

And no more excuses for Nige if it's those four because three of them are largely not doing a thing for us now.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bristol_Badger said:

Some of this lot are deluded thinking we will get 15M for the kid.

How many goals or assist has he got? 

The question isn’t “what will we get?” but “what level of offer should we accept?”. If nobody offers £15m then so be it. It isn’t a reason to sell him for less than he is worth to us. 

The club isn’t a charity and doesn’t owe other clubs any favours. What other clubs are prepared to pay is up to them but we should still have a clear idea of the level of bid we are prepared to consider and stick to it, especially for a player with plenty of time on his contract.

26 minutes ago, spudski said:

Who knows...☺️?

True, all educated guesswork.

Just think if you’re featuring for a Prem side, even as a sub, you don’t leave them for us.

Think the lad who has been on loan at Sheff U is in a completely different place, if they agreed a loan with a view to permanent there, then they’re open to moving him on.

47 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

15m plus add ons seems fair. I just hope if he goes along with Semenyo, we have the replacements lined up aswell as a lot of the money received to re invest on the squad.

If we did get 15, i cant really see that we would be happy to spend more than about 3 on replacements given the state of our finances?  The replacement for scott should have been benarous but we dont know how he will be following the injuries.

ideally we can get another million or so for bentley and massengo and get some more of the big contracts off the wage bill

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Just think if you’re featuring for a Prem side, even as a sub, you don’t leave them for us.

Think the lad who has been on loan at Sheff U is in a completely different place, if they agreed a loan with a view to permanent there, then they’re open to moving him on.

I guess it all depends on whether they bring in another striker. If so...they may let him out on loan, or may not. I agree re Khedra.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/bristol-city/12780556/21-under-21-alex-scott-of-bristol-city

Would be disappointed with 12m, although the ass has fallen out of the Championship clubs market, plenty of money still sloshing around in the prem, everyone talks of Scott how he is going to make it big, we should not sell cheap. We can afford to hold on if other players leave, and see if his value increases, although serious injury is always a danger.

33 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Khadra OOC this summer, guessing they’d offer him a contract to protect compo, hence why Sheff Utd had agreed an obligation to buy on promotion.  Difficult to guess what kind of fee they agreed.

But it’s a good shout on loan for 5 months.  Fee might be too rich for us, even in the summer.  i’ll see if the loan happens first, then worry about anything else after that! ?

29 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

If we did get 15, i cant really see that we would be happy to spend more than about 3 on replacements given the state of our finances?  The replacement for scott should have been benarous but we dont know how he will be following the injuries.

ideally we can get another million or so for bentley and massengo and get some more of the big contracts off the wage bill

My gut feel is that if we do sell in this window that any fees paid out might still wait until the summer.  Loans with option / obligation to buy if we stay up type of thing.

We might pay fees for younger players though.

• Like 1

I’m at the point where I actively want Semenyo and Scott to leave asap. 
The club needs to turn a profit next year to satisfy FFP, so we need to get some income now. 
Both are good players but neither are fundamentally crucial to us at the moment. 
Semenyo is very hit and miss. Long periods of not being able to control the ball, long periods of absence with injury and then an occasional unplayable streak. 
Scott will be very good. But at the moment he’s still developing and could be classed right now as just ‘good’. He’s still very inconsistent at the moment so I don’t believe either player is absolutely crucial to our survival. 
With significant transfer fees we can stave off the ffp issue and still have a fair bit to reinvest in the squad. We could easily bring in 4 players of decent championship quality and not miss either of these 2. 
In an ideal world we’d see Scott develop here, but we need the money now and I believe we can make the squad better with the money. 
That’s if you trust our recruitment! 

• Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Chicken George said:

The club needs to turn a profit next year to satisfy FFP, so we need to get some income now. 
Both are good players but neither are fundamentally crucial to us at the moment. 
Semenyo is very hit and miss. Long periods of not being able to control the ball, long periods of absence with injury and then an occasional unplayable streak. 
Scott will be very good. But at the moment he’s still developing and could be classed right now as just ‘good’. He’s still very inconsistent at the moment so I don’t believe either player is absolutely crucial to our survival. 
With significant transfer fees we can stave off the ffp issue and still have a fair bit to reinvest in the squad. We could easily bring in 4 players of decent championship quality and not miss either of these 2. 
In an ideal world we’d see Scott develop here, but we need the money now and I believe we can make the squad better with the money. 

I’m the opposite, I want them to stay.  I want Antoine to have the impact he did after Xmas last season.  Scott I think is important to us.

We certainly don’t need a profit next year to avoid FFP.  It appears we’ve worked with the EFL to stay within certain budget limits this year.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m the opposite, I want them to stay.  I want Antoine to have the impact he did after Xmas last season.  Scott I think is important to us.

We certainly don’t need a profit next year to avoid FFP.  It appears we’ve worked with the EFL to stay within certain budget limits this year.

Absolutely. If Scott goes, we have Williams and James left in midfield, which is a pretty slow and boring midfield. I’d like to enjoy Scott next season, still so much more to come.

However, Brighton would be a great move for him and likely to play. If we went to Spurs, there’s not a chance he gets a game under Conte.

• Like 1

I’m amazed that people don’t see Scott as crucial. He’s been our best player this season and is massively important to us in the middle of the park and every other blade of grass he manages to cover in a game.  6 Premier League clubs want one of our players but apparently he’s not a vital player!  If we sell him and don’t replace him then we could very well go down 

18 minutes ago, Chicken George said:

You are miles off on your assessment of Scott in my opinion 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just to caveat, we still don't know what the new Independent body will say. Yes we are confident but a new Independent body only just appointed may see things differently if it was something creative say. Depends what we've agreed and whether the new Independent body concur that such arrangements are valid- we don't know IMO. They could turn around and say "Player add-backs for lost transfer revenue? Not likely". If they have a different view then clubs will be scrambling to sort things by the summer.

The question is, are they bound by prior agreement between League and clubs?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Percy Pig said:

Any deal should have a loan to the end of the season included and first option on any loan at this level next season in my opinion. The kid is a joke and I want to keep watching him play!

Surely we’d be better off just keeping him if a club were willing to loan him straight back? Develop him another 6 months at least and get more money for him down the line

Edited by KegCity

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just to caveat, we still don't know what the new Independent body will say. Yes we are confident but a new Independent body only just appointed may see things differently if it was something creative say. Depends what we've agreed and whether the new Independent body concur that such arrangements are valid- we don't know IMO. They could turn around and say "Player add-backs for lost transfer revenue? Not likely". If they have a different view then clubs will be scrambling to sort things by the summer.

The question is, are they bound by prior agreement between League and clubs?

La La La GIF by Isola dei Famosi

?????

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

With our cash flow, no!

SL will see our cash flow fine.

15 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Surely we’d be better off just keeping him if a club were willing to loan him straight back? Develop him another 6 months at least and get more money for him down the line

18 month loan and suitable fee could suit all parties- don't think he's ready yet.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

I’m amazed that people don’t see Scott as crucial. He’s been our best player this season and is massively important to us in the middle of the park and every other blade of grass he manages to cover in a game.  6 Premier League clubs want one of our players but apparently he’s not a vital player!  If we sell him and don’t replace him then we could very well go down 

You are miles off on your assessment of Scott in my opinion 

I agree with you as Scott does a lot more of unnoticed positional play. Thinking back to what Brum got for Bellingham, I consider that at least £20 or £25 million is a sensible price for him. I'd prefer that we sell Semenyo to help us through this season and into next and keep Scott for another year or two when if we, the manager, coaches and supporters are probably looking at doubling the fee then. Patience could be a very big rewarder so long as we stay up this season.

3 hours ago, spudski said:

Someone reporting Brighton are now interested. 

If a deal can be met, maybe include Khedra and get Evan Ferguson on loan. 

I'd consider trying for Mark Leonard on a permanent, not at the level Scott is now but can play a very similar game and if anything when he gets forward may even have a little more to his game.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vidal said:

I think 12 million for Scott is reasonable and fair in the current market, on the condition there is a hefty sell on clause linked in, I’m talking 30/35%……that’s where the real money could be made.

Agreed, negotiating a hefty sell on clause is absolutely vital.

A piddly 10-15% is simply not good enough and should be a deal breaker.

The club must know there is a high likelihood he will move on for a lot more money in the next few years and must ensure that one way or another we fully benefit from his departure.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Super said:

Weird how people want our best players to go when we're in a relegation battle!

Dont think we have a lot of choice if it happens, unless we start becoming successful it will always happen as Pearson said we need to get in a position that the club keeps hold of it quality talent. Finances make the decision unfortunately at the minute. 

43 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Agreed, negotiating a hefty sell on clause is absolutely vital.

A piddly 10-15% is simply not good enough and should be a deal breaker.

The club must know there is a high likelihood he will move on for a lot more money in the next few years and must ensure that one way or another we fully benefit from his departure.

Agree...Birmingham have got 25% on Bellingham for example.