IGNORED

Ivan Toney

kiwicolin

2 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

What's the point in applying part of the ban during the off season? Surely 8 months should just be applied during the playing season and possibly pre-season friendlies? Wouldn't that be a more meaningful punishment and demonstrate an example to others? Or am i missing something?

That's like banning me from working when i'm on annual leave? 

I'm assuming 'all football activity' in the off season means he also cannot be transferred? Seems a large punishment to me where this could have been the summer that got him a big move

1 minute ago, Loco Rojo said:

What's the point in applying part of the ban during the off season? Surely 8 months should just be applied during the playing season and possibly pre-season friendlies? Wouldn't that be a more meaningful punishment and demonstrate an example to others? Or am i missing something?

That's like banning me from working when i'm on annual leave? 

Maybe it would of only been 6 months if the ban was given in Sept/Oct/Nov Maybe there are 2 extra months  to cover the post season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BLRed said:

For that many offences, the ban was very lenient. Should have been far longer 

I don't think quantity had as big a baring on what the ban length was compared to what games the betting was on, a small amount of bets on games in English leagues would see a bigger punishment then lots of betting on the Australian league

• Like 1

Here's what BBC sport have reported as a breaking story;

Brentford striker Ivan Toney has been banned from football for eight months after he accepted breaking Football Association betting rules.

Toney has also been charged £50,000 and warned about his future conduct for 232 breaches of the FA's betting rules.

His suspension starts immediately, but the 27-year-old can return to training with Brentford four months before it ends on 17 September.

He will not be allowed to play again until 17 January, 2024.

In a statement, the FA said: "His [Toney] sanctions were subsequently imposed by an independent Regulatory Commission following a personal hearing.

"The independent Regulatory Commission's written reasons for these sanctions will be published in due course, and the FA will wait to review them before commenting further."

Toney has scored 20 goals in 33 Premier League appearances this season, helping Brentford into ninth place in the table.

He will miss Brentford's trip to Tottenham on Saturday and the final day of the season at home to league leaders Manchester City on 28 May.

11 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I'm assuming 'all football activity' in the off season means he also cannot be transferred? Seems a large punishment to me where this could have been the summer that got him a big move

Hadn't thought of that. I wonder if this ban does also cover a potential transfer.  I'm sure there's some lawyers somewhere that would love to take on the FA to challenge that.

10 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

Its ridiculous result, he pleaded guilty in feb but has still been playing.

Imagine if brentford were down  the bottom and his goals in that time had kept them up.

Eight months is most of a season. Why does it matter which season? It could put them in danger next season for all we know.

23 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

Its ridiculous result, he pleaded guilty in feb but has still been playing.

Imagine if brentford were down  the bottom and his goals in that time had kept them up.

I don't think the 8 months is ridiculous, however I do agree he should have been suspended pending the outcome as well

• Admin
28 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Presume he wasn’t accused of betting for his own side otherwise that could be match fixing?

Guess it’s really 5 months of playing time.

Question is what took them so long to hear the case?

Has it been defined when the ban starts (apologies if I have missed this) 

It will be interesting to see how Brentford respond 

• Like 1

Wow, not sure I saw that coming!

Bad time in his career, could really have kicked on and started to push himself into the England starting 11, and/or got himself a big move. 

Players have had lengthy bans before and came back just as good as before (Cantona, Ferdinand immediately spring to mind), but the timing is not good for Toney, or Brentford.

FA taking a firm stance on it though, and rightly so.