IGNORED

Ivan Toney

kiwicolin

23 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

In all cases it was in matches he was not involved in, which the headlines are not showing.

Even if you're out on loan you still have access to information at the club, essentially the gambling version of insider trading 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Even if you're out on loan you still have access to information at the club, essentially the gambling version of insider trading 

It’s all very well them telling us what he bet on but I can’t see anywhere if he won money with this insider knowledge or not,i have mates who are in “the inner circle “of racing,couldn’t pick their nose with a fork 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Re para 4......or dives to win a pen which he would be taking.

He'd win b*****r all on those bets if he played for us then!:D

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

I’m less bothered by insider trading, the way these betting firms operate I hope people take them for every penny, it’s the potential influence that Toney could have with those involved in matches to get the outcome he wants, directly or indirectly and like someone suggested betting on himself scoring could have an impact on the way Toney plays himself 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Quite how I don’t know,he would of known of any injuries and who would be playing a long time before the odds were given 

Sure, but the FA commission isn't concerned with the potential effect on the gambling market or companies. They're concerned with a potential effect on football games. 

In that regard betting on your own team to lose but not actually playing in that game is less serious than a game where you do the same and do play. 

34 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Sure, but the FA commission isn't concerned with the potential effect on the gambling market or companies. They're concerned with a potential effect on football games. 

In that regard betting on your own team to lose but not actually playing in that game is less serious than a game where you do the same and do play. 

Without doubt but if we want footballers to understand that it’s a no no then there shouldn’t be a staggered punishment,you want to bet then 2 year ban whoever you bet on,could be your own team or some Mexican 2nd division game

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lrrr said:

I don’t disagree, just seen a lot of very basic inflammatory headlines. And so do 100s of others inside and outside every club who are not so high profile but would still be party to the same information, such as Trippier’s mates who were told to lump on when he signed for Atletico Madrid. If any consolation for Toney, he made his way back to the England fold.

It’s clear that the lad has quite a problem, and I hope he gets some help. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I don’t disagree, just seen a lot of very basic inflammatory headlines. And so do 100s of others inside and outside every club who are not so high profile but would still be party to the same information, such as Trippier’s mates who were told to lump on when he signed for Atletico Madrid. If any consolation for Toney, he made his way back to the England fold.

It’s clear that the lad has quite a problem, and I hope he gets some help. 

What do you class as inflammatory headlines 

3 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

What do you class as inflammatory headlines 

e.g “13 bets against own team” when he wasn’t even playing for them or involved in them, he was on loan. Could easily say betting against parent club etc which paints the full picture, but doesn’t get the same clicks.

Hence a lot of the reactions I saw online upon announcement seem to think he bet on his current playing club to lose.

Edited by marcofisher

2 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

e.g “13 bets against own team” when he wasn’t even playing for them or involved in them, he was on loan. Could easily say betting against parent club etc which paints the full picture, but doesn’t get the same clicks.

Hence a lot of the reactions I saw online upon announcement seem to think he bet on his current playing club to lose.

So he didn’t have inside knowledge,he could of easily bet on City letting in a late goal back in 20/21 and that would still be wrong,what is it with society today that we make excuses for everyone 

9 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

So he didn’t have inside knowledge,he could of easily bet on City letting in a late goal back in 20/21 and that would still be wrong,what is it with society today that we make excuses for everyone 

I don’t see anyone “making excuses”. What he did was wrong and he’s been punished as a result. It’s simply about looking at the circumstances, understanding what happened and why, and also recognising that he might need help to deal with an illness.

A century ago soldiers who couldn’t cope with what they experienced on the battlefield were shot for desertion. Nowadays we recognise PTSD and treat them accordingly. Is that “society today…..making excuses”? 

Edited by italian dave
  • Like 4

I think when the rules are changed and all Betting Company sponsorship banned, it will be an easier and clearer message to get over.
As it is, team that has it's main striker banned for betting , enjoys ££ millions from betting Company sponsorship. 

image.png.8b12097a9262b3fabd61082f2f8f345e.png