IGNORED

do you have those Esso coins from 1970?

I've got the Alex Stepney medal and used it (pre-Google days) to resolve an argument with a workmate who resolutely refused to believe that he had been in the '70 squad.

I had to remove Stepney from the book, which has subsequently been lost, so I don't know if the ones in the book are rusting, but he is unblemished. 

I have a full set of the Esso world cup 70 coins, FA cup centenary coins and, I think a set of plastic statue busts (no, don't) of another squad, but cannot remember the fuel company....then came the glasses/tumblers, killed the joy of visiting the petrol station. All in good nick, but they did used to rust and did not work in ciggy machines, 10 number 10 anyone?

37 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Every time I see them at that boot sales,they seem to be going rusty,yes I know its 53 years ago.

Could they be coated in an oil based type substance to stop the coins getting any worse,

although I know that the oil could/will sink into the cardboard.

thoughts any one?

Oh oh, mine have been in the attic the whole time, haven't checked on them for years....

Kept mine in a drawer, they seem fine. 1970 squad & the FA Cup Centenary ones. 

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Those plastic Esso busts of players, no rust. 

Always fancied those , they would end up in the loft though, my MRs would see to that :facepalm:

8 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Every time I see them at that boot sales,they seem to be going rusty,yes I know its 53 years ago.

Could they be coated in an oil based type substance to stop the coins getting any worse,

although I know that the oil could/will sink into the cardboard.

thoughts any one?

There are plenty of complete collections in mint condition on eBay and such like, for approx £20. They turn up often. 

I've owned and sold over the years the football coin collections and Esso foil badge collections. 

Tbh...I've never come across anything rusty. 

If you are into collecting that type of thing, it's worth remembering other countries did their own collections. 

Some of the Dutch and German coin and such like collections from the 70s are lovely.