IGNORED

Brian Tinnion Signed 30 Years Ago Today

A club "Legend" without a doubt.

That night in Liverpool will never be forgotten, the angle that he somehow scoops the ball out from under him (with that well known left pin of his) and hits a rocket into the next is just incredible.

IIRC one of his early games after signing was against the 15ers at A.G ?

He scored a pen to win the game and effectively relegate those tossers, it was certainly one of the final nails in their coffin. They haven't been back to the second tier since ! :clapping:

Just love the bloke, shame we couldn't get him a Bristolian accent !! ?

• Like 3

My favourite player in my 40 years of watching City... his telepathic partnership with Scotty Murray was unbelievable at times. 

I remember his 500th appearance was a game at The Gate and when he ran out everyone sang Tinman is a S***head. It brought a lump to my throat!

Great player, great memories and a great bloke for the work he is continuing to do for the club now.

• Like 1

I once read this story...now every time I hear or see the name Brian Tinnion, the words ' Mallet ' come to the fore. 

I think it should be his chant in future ☺️?

Quote...

Gazza sat down with pie in one hand and Mars bar in the other. He munched his way through a drab 1st half. Gazza’a youth team pal, Brian Tinnion. played in midfield for Newcastle that night. He’d been to the hair stylists and donned an outlandishly short sided coiffure that made his head look like a hammer sideways on.

Gazza was merciless. Every time Tinnion came near, Gazza would ball at the top of his voice “Mallet! Mallet! Mallet!” which seemed to be his deliberate transmutation of the word ‘mullet’. He wouldn’t let up. I recall seeing Waddle put his head between his knees in embarrassment. Tinnion looked up once or twice in our direction. He didn’t share Gazza’s humour and had a miserable game.

At half time, a young lass turns to Gazza and repeats, “Gazza, do yer want a hot dog, Gazza, do yer want a hot dog?”

“Aye, gerrus a hot dog”, came the reply and off she trotted.

Five minutes later, the lass returns, “Gazza, there’s no tomato Source, Gazza. Someone’s nicked the lady’s tomato Source at the stand like”.

Gizzit here!” commands Gazza whilst withdrawing the tomato Source bottle from inside his coat.

By now, Waddle not only had his head between his knees, he had his hands behind the back of his head to hide his face.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BS15_RED said:

Tony Fawthrop I think.

It was, Tinnion signed for us whilst Russell Osman was manager.

Osman took a lot of flak for the decision to get rid of Dziekanowski but he also paid a ridiculous £75k to sign the excellent Mark Shail & brought in the very underrated Stuart Munro on a free transfer.

Even one of his poorer signings in Liam Robinson saw us double our money on him a year later.

Ian Baird was shite though & there were a number of non league standard players on frees that he also signed such as Colin (dead) Loss, Henry McKop & Rodney McAree, plus others even I have forgotten.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Gasbuster said:

That night in Liverpool will never be forgotten, the angle that he somehow scoops the ball out from under him (with that well known left pin of his) and hits a rocket into the next is just incredible.

14' 02" in to this clip;

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It was, Tinnion signed for us whilst Russell Osman was manager.

Osman took a lot of flak for the decision to get rid of Dziekanowski but he also paid a ridiculous £75k to sign the excellent Mark Shail & brought in the very underrated Stuart Munro on a free transfer.

Even one of his poorer signings in Liam Robinson saw us double our money on him a year later.

Ian Baird was shite though & there were a number of non league standard players on frees that he also signed such as Colin (dead) Loss, Henry McKop & Rodney McAree, plus others even I have forgotten.

Osman was the worst manager we ever had in my opinion 

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, The Gasbuster said:

A club "Legend" without a doubt.

IIRC one of his early games after signing was against the 15ers at A.G ?

He scored a pen to win the game and effectively relegate those tossers, it was certainly one of the final nails in their coffin. They haven't been back to the second tier since ! :clapping:

Just love the bloke, shame we couldn't get him a Bristolian accent !! ?

Yep, it was a pen at the open end after one of their cheating thugs (Ian Alexander?) handballed it on the line. Great night, I remember “**** off Irene, the gas are going down” echoing around the ground. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 22A said:

14' 02" in to this clip;

Isn’t it funny how the memory fades over the years. 

I remember Brucie going awol and  Rush putting it over from 5 yards clear as day, but don’t remember Junior missing those two chances. 

And I certainly don’t remember it being that windy.

Never get tired of watching that finish! Legend status secured that night.

What a player Alison was as well by the way. 

And a final side note, for older readers, that’s Statto from Fantasy Football commentating - never noticed that before. 

45 minutes ago, jimmyb said:

Isn’t it funny how the memory fades over the years. 

I remember Brucie going awol and  Rush putting it over from 5 yards clear as day, but don’t remember Junior missing those two chances. 

And I certainly don’t remember it being that windy.

Never get tired of watching that finish! Legend status secured that night.

What a player Alison was as well by the way. 

And a final side note, for older readers, that’s Statto from Fantasy Football commentating - never noticed that before. 

Statto! Wow - well i never knew that!

39 minutes ago, harrys said:

In fairness he was left with a dog of a squad and set the wheels in motion for SCs team

The squad wasn't great however led us into the mire after he took us down. Thankfully Cotts picked up and gave us great memories! 

Always remembering watching us lose to Swindon in the cup at home as we passed it around the defence with no idea what to do next!

Long live the 5 pillars.

13 hours ago, RedHienz said:

Central to the way we played for so many years. The partnership with Bell and indeed Murray was fantastic to watch. 

Shame it didn't happen as a manager however brings so much to the club in his role, legend. 

I think the video would actually be more reflective of Tinnion's ability if it showed all the goals that Murray scored that he laid on for him. I remember many opposition Managers bemoaning the fact that they knew what was coming, but found it almost impossible to stop.