IGNORED

Brian Tinnion Signed 30 Years Ago Today

4 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Who was worse pulis or Osman, thats a thread in itself! Both signed some of the worst player's I ever saw, I would say certainly Osman took more stick from the terraces,

I think he’s the only player I’ve heard City fans boo when he scored for us !!!!!

11 hours ago, RedHienz said:

The squad wasn't great however led us into the mire after he took us down. Thankfully Cotts picked up and gave us great memories! 

Always remembering watching us lose to Swindon in the cup at home as we passed it around the defence with no idea what to do next!

Long live the 5 pillars.

Didn’t So’D sign a few players that were in the double season? my memory is getting worse

15 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

No way. I’m still convinced Pulis and Lindsey Parsons deliberately mismanaged us due to the sag connections.

I'm absolutely certain I recall him saying in an interview when he came back here with Stoke that it's nice to manage a club called City here that he actually wants to manage.  Or words to that effect.

12 hours ago, 3 Peaps In A PodCast said:

Statto! Wow - well i never knew that!

The Evening Post were all over it at the time.  They got unreasonably excited by the prospect!

1 hour ago, harrys said:

I think he’s the only player I’ve heard City fans boo when he scored for us !!!!!

In fairness, we haven't had too many player managers.

As for the Great Man in question, I've said it before and I still stand by it.  Brian Tinnion was the most important signing this club has ever made.  And I don't think I will ever be convinced otherwise.

26 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I'm absolutely certain I recall him saying in an interview when he came back here with Stoke that it's nice to manage a club called City here that he actually wants to manage.  Or words to that effect.

The Evening Post were all over it at the time.  They got unreasonably excited by the prospect!

In fairness, we haven't had too many player managers.

As for the Great Man in question, I've said it before and I still stand by it.  Brian Tinnion was the most important signing this club has ever made.  And I don't think I will ever be convinced otherwise.

I seem to remember he wore a blue tracksuit and commented on how good it was to come to Ashton Gate wearing blue?

2 hours ago, harrys said:

Didn’t So’D sign a few players that were in the double season? my memory is getting worse

Pretty sure he did, just couldn't get a tune out of them. 

Just looked up and found a post article about that 11 game winless run which saw him sacked, includes the players he signed - Whatever happened to Sean O'Driscoll's Bristol City signings? - Bristol Live (bristolpost.co.uk)

2 hours ago, RedHienz said:

Pretty sure he did, just couldn't get a tune out of them. 

Just looked up and found a post article about that 11 game winless run which saw him sacked, includes the players he signed - Whatever happened to Sean O'Driscoll's Bristol City signings? - Bristol Live (bristolpost.co.uk)

Some great and important signings there, even Howard was seen as an excellent signing at the time

2 hours ago, bearded_red said:

We didn’t lose in the cup to Swindon while O’Driscoll was manager.

You’re right. 

It was under Millen & Di Canio had just taken charge of them, so quite a while before O’Driscoll.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bearded_red said:

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You’re right. 

It was under Millen & Di Canio had just taken charge of them, so quite a while before O’Driscoll.

Correct! Thanks for that, must be trying to delete the early 2010's from memory :D

Remember Ranger scoring and absolutely despising Swindon for a long period, looking it up it was in Sep 2013 and 3-2 :(

SO’D was absolutely instrumental in some areas. I know fans didn’t like him, some loathed, but he bought in Pack, Flint, Fielding, Williams, all of which brought in huge value in one way or another, and made the club totally focus on the academy as he knew the potential we could have in that area if we got our fingers out. Was a huge driver in getting us category 2 iirc. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bearded_red said:

I think it was Oxford. The EE had been knocked down and I was in the Dolman. I think we scored first (Joe Bryan?) and lost 2-1. For some reason I think it was played pre-season, possibly a trial or something to see if crowds were any better.

26 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I think it was Oxford. The EE had been knocked down and I was in the Dolman. I think we scored first (Joe Bryan?) and lost 2-1. For some reason I think it was played pre-season, possibly a trial or something to see if crowds were any better.

That was at the start of the promotion season, so Cotterill was manager.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

That was at the start of the promotion season, so Cotterill was manager.

Yep, bumped into Cotts that afternoon, he’d been out buying a clothes horse with his wife.

That night I wondered whether the EE being knocked down might impact our home form.  I needn’t have worried.

On 22/03/2023 at 17:46, westonred said:

Lets not forget he was a subject of the boo boys for quite some time and he over came the hatred shown to him turned it round and now is a true club legend.. Thank goodness the idiots didnt force him out years ago

I was going to post similar. I vividly remember a section of the crowd giving him stick in his early days with us. It’s one of the reasons why I have no time for fans who make immediate judgements on new players. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, bumped into Cotts that afternoon, he’d been out buying a clothes horse with his wife.

That night I wondered whether the EE being knocked down might impact our home form.  I needn’t have worried.

Does he live near us then, or did you venture outside of the confines of Downend?

6 hours ago, zippycar said:

Does he live near us then, or did you venture outside of the confines of Downend?

Nah, when I used to work near Millenium Square, he was a regular in Costa or striding across the square in his shorts, muscle vest and “footballers” flip-flops!

19 hours ago, eardun said:

I was going to post similar. I vividly remember a section of the crowd giving him stick in his early days with us. It’s one of the reasons why I have no time for fans who make immediate judgements on new players. 

I seem to remember a story about him getting dog`s abuse off some moron while he was doing his supermarket shopping one time. I think he said he nearly gave up with City afterwards.

On 23/03/2023 at 22:40, eardun said:

Yes, remember this well.

Osman had been getting stick  from a section of the crowd; there was an EP headline one evening supposedly quoting Tinnion, it read “Get off the manager’s back”

This of course then made him the target of the boo boys.

Edited by The Gasbuster