IGNORED

Americans First Trip - Tickets

ChicagoBristolFan

I’d say E31, far more authentic and less sanitised, you can walk from the Dolman to the Lansdown pre game / half time to experience the whole stadium. Whilst the games on, in my opinion, being with the older/‘dedicated’ fans is a better bet. Although, if it’s a poor game there’ll be far more moaning in the Dolmsn, massively generalising but they ‘care more’.

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, ChicagoBristolFan said:

Hello!

The Wife and I (American Bristol City fans) will be attending our first match vs Rotherham!

We are looking at W15 in Landsdown, or E31 in Dolman. Would the experience be much different between the two? Or are there any other recommendations? 

Appreciate any help that can be provided!

I sit in W15 in the Lansdown stand we have a good view. The atmosphere is also good ?? 
I recently took an American ?? to watch the Norwich game he described the experience as awesome. 
Hopefully your visit to Ashtongate is as awesome. 

1 hour ago, ChicagoBristolFan said:

Hello!

The Wife and I (American Bristol City fans) will be attending our first match vs Rotherham!

We are looking at W15 in Landsdown, or E31 in Dolman. Would the experience be much different between the two? Or are there any other recommendations? 

I would recommend the Dolman stand. In amongst it a bit more and IMO it would make it a bit more memorable. Either way enjoy your day at Ashton Gate 

53 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

I’d say E31, far more authentic and less sanitised, you can walk from the Dolman to the Lansdown pre game / half time to experience the whole stadium. Whilst the games on, in my opinion, being with the older/‘dedicated’ fans is a better bet. Although, if it’s a poor game there’ll be far more moaning in the Dolmsn, massively generalising but they ‘care more’.

It’s a bit odd to consider fans in one stand to be older or more dedicated than in another. I moved from the Dolman to the Lansdown after the rebuild, for the better view (no sun in your eyes) better legroom and newer facilities. I’m sure that is true of many others. It’s a better experience in the new stand, that’s for sure.

• Like 11

My brother, 35 years in DC and latterly Richmond, VA, will tell you Dolman - that's where he sits every time he comes over.

As has been said, the Dolman can be slightly more cramped - so if you're tall/large/long legs you may find more legroom in the Dolman. The sun can be an issue (if its out), but easy - just wear a cap - I assume you wear one night and day anyway as Americans!!

But, I have to say.....Rotherham: you certainly know how to pick them!!

• Like 1

Will you still be in Bristol the week after for the Burnley game? Burnley will have already won the league by then and will probably sale all of their allocated tickets as it will be their last away game of the season. Think the atmosphere for that game will be excellent and it will probably be a much better game to go to if you can make it. 

Hope you have a great trip anyway.

24 minutes ago, Leveller said:

It’s a bit odd to consider fans in one stand to be older or more dedicated than in another. I moved from the Dolman to the Lansdown after the rebuild, for the better view (no sun in your eyes) better legroom and newer facilities. I’m sure that is true of many others. It’s a better experience in the new stand, that’s for sure.

I am, of course, massively generalising as has to be done when talking about n thousand people. I don’t think it can be questioned that the Lansdown has specifically been catered to family’s, at least, at a minimum, considerably more so than the Dolman(?) 

Edited by Marcus Aurelius

The Dolman stand was opened in 1970 and, though the concourse has been modified and new seats fitted, it shows. The legroom is nowhere near modern standards. Although I sit in the Dolman, I’d always recommend the Lansdown, which has more comfortable seats and proper legroom. When you come, to get the feel of the ground, make sure you walk around the outside and have a visit to the fans village. Then, when you enter, walk through the entire concourse which runs under the Dolman, South and Dolman stands.  

PS - if you speak to anyone during the match don’t call it soccer. It’s football 

Edited by pongo88

2 hours ago, ChicagoBristolFan said:

Hello!

Fair play but why Bristol City? ?

Lansdown for comfort/space. For the Dolman: If you're over about 5'9'' you'll need to avoid putting your knee into the back of the seat/person in front. Also if you're over about 16 stone you better hope your left/right seat seatmates aren't similarly built otherwise it will be, erm, a bit cosy.

If you can choose a seat towards the right hand side of W15 (as you look at the plan on the website) (higher seat numbers) you will be closer to half way line than a lower number, but not as central as in E31 as it's the centre block of the Dolman. You will also be able to chose a seat higher up in E31 than W15. Personally: I woudn't sit in the bottom 10/12 rows of either stand (but some like this), and would avoid entry/exit areas.

Anyway, have a great time, and let us know how it goes.

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

I am, of course, massively generalising as has to be done when talking about n thousand people. I don’t think it can be questioned that the Lansdown has specifically been catered to family’s, at least, at a minimum, considerably more so than the Dolman(?) 

The lower Lansdown must be the least family like stand in the ground. The seats are expensive there for kids and you rarely see any in there.

I sit in W16 and to the left of me the central blocks can be a bit corporate but still many regulars but W15 to the right has a very similar fans to the Dolman just with fewer kids I’d imagine. 

Edited by ralphindevon

For an ‘American sports watching experience’ definitely The Lansdown. For football ‘Olde English style’ The Dolman. 

When I take my partner it’s The Lansdown. With ‘the lads’ it’s The Dolman. 

However, if you’re a trillionaire, Mr Lansdown will invite you into his box and would like to talk with you about a very good investment opportunity. 

• Haha 6

Lansdown is best IMO. No sun in your eyes and with most of our rain coming from the west, less chance of a soaking in the front rows.

Try to spend time before the match to see all the displays in the concourse. West of England sports persons, Bristol Rugby history both of the club but also local amateur clubs in the Bristol area.

And finally but by no means the least are several displays about the history of our football club. Also displays of City players in an upstairs bar in the bar at the South- West corner of the stadium. In that area outside the stadium, there are two displays about the fans who bought shares to keep us going in 1982. Of course you must see the the statue of John Atyeo, the greatest City player of my lifetime and according to my father who saw City when Billy Wedlock and later Atyeo were in the team.

Edited by cidered abroad

Don't sit in the Dolman if you have long legs. You will have numb knees by half time where they are squashed up against the seat in front. Wear a hat if its sunny as you will be blinded by it or else the wind will whip across and you'll be frozen....just some of my Dolman experiences, oh and its known locally as the Dolmoan stand for a reason. Apologies to all the season card holders that love it there....it's just not for me.

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Don't sit in the Dolman if you have long legs. You will have numb knees by half time where they are squashed up against the seat in front. Wear a hat if its sunny as you will be blinded by it or else the wind will whip across and you'll be frozen....just some of my Dolman experiences, oh and its known locally as the Dolmoan stand for a reason. Apologies to all the season card holders that love it there....it's just not for me.

As a season ticket holder in the Dolman, can I just say that the standard of moaning there isn’t a patch on the matchday thread on OTIB ?

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

Wherever you end up sitting for the match, make sure you make some time for pre and/or post match pints for some of the best cider in the world. I'm sure that some of our fellow Reds would be happy to point you in the right direction. The camaraderie is a big part of the match day experience. Wish I was able to get over there and show you around our wonderful city!

COYR 

• Like 1