IGNORED

Sykes 4 match ban

sh1t_ref_again

The sheer injustice of this makes my blood boil.

I can't believe the Swansea player has not received an Oscar for his truly dramatic.

All in the space of less than 10 seconds.

Firstly, going down like he was shot by a sniper. Then rolling on the ground multi times.    (All caused by that puny tap by Sykes)

Then his miraculous instant recovery.

And last, but not least, the grand finale.

His highly impressiverendition of  the Cowardly Lion's "put 'em up . . . put 'em up."

• Like 1

Sykes gets banned for 4 games, meanwhile Luke O'Nein can literally jump on Alex Scott's back and act like a rodeo expert and all he gets is a yellow and praised as a "fun lad". I mean Sykes was fouled, yeah he kicked out but no way more than a yellow. 

Two wrongs don't make a right, if he's guilty he's guilty although it looks debatable but some of the others- Norwood, let alone Bennett and the Sykes v Freeman.

Evans being banned and Wells avoiding a red was about the only counterbalance but like with penalties we are somewhat in the red.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Two wrongs don't make a right, if he's guilty he's guilty although it looks debatable but some of the others- Norwood, let alone Bennett and the Sykes v Freeman.

Evans being banned and Wells avoiding a red was about the only counterbalance but like with penalties we are somewhat in the red.

Wells pushed him in the chest.  It seems to be that you have to put your hands on the face / head to get a red.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

It’s not really “gone soft” then if it was a red 25 years ago (yes I feel old writing that!)

Looking at the footage it’s hard to argue, you can’t kick out at someone whether you make full contact or not is irrelevant.

It does look like the Swansea player moved intentionally towards Sykes and appeared to stand on his hand/try to…

I do agree after watching a couple of times that it's a needless (attempted) foul that gets clamped down on because of the intent. However we have all seen much worse which have also escaped punishment, that's really my grump. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Midred said:

Would this have followed an appeal by Swansea or do the FA go through every match later checking for infringements.

Can remember a couple of incidents against Sheffield United where there could have a red card and the ref just signalled to play on!

So many missed, or ignored they either act on reports, or it's completely random as to which games they study.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Perhaps but if you compare it to some adverse decisions against us this season, where is the benchmark?

As I said above, it seems so random there is no bench mark.

The original kick/trip he's nowhere near the ball and it's deliberate. Sykes is nowhere near the ball and is deliberate. While you could say it was retaliation , which has always been worse than the crime, it is in essence the same act. The Law should be change to a sending off if you obviously have no chance of playing the ball, it might stop a lot of the so called Professional fouls that are little short of assault.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Perhaps but if you compare it to some adverse decisions against us this season, where is the benchmark?

We’d be here all day if you compare each decision made during the season. 

In this instance, it’s a red card all day long, Sykes can have no complaint. He shouldn’t have kicked out like he did no matter how frustrated he was being taken out. 

• Like 2

I remember this quite clearly.  The player you see running off to the right, is actually guilty of performing a cynical tackle whenSykes was very obviously away,  that player runs to the right at that point, in effect Sykes then actually takes it out on the other (the innocent) player. 
 Just pure frustration. 

• Like 2

So Sykes gets banned - and looking at it, ehhh I’ve seen worse but I can understand it. 

Yet the other week, if memory serves, didn’t Alex Scott get essentially assaulted? And I want to say it was on Sky? Where’s the retro ban there? 

Once again the lack of consistency is maddening. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I do agree after watching a couple of times that it's a needless (attempted) foul that gets clamped down on because of the intent. However we have all seen much worse which have also escaped punishment, that's really my grump. 

Yea I get that, and it seems odd to go back and punish with some that haven’t been. I’ve just seen the “the games gone” “it’s not a contact sport anymore” comments several times over the last couple of days but I think this is different, it’s always been a bit of a no no to kick out at a player even if it does appear pretty soft in terms of contact here.

Its the rules and players should no better, but I still think he’s provoked by a stamp or something, hard to tell for sure.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RobArnold10 said:

So Sykes gets banned - and looking at it, ehhh I’ve seen worse but I can understand it. 

Yet the other week, if memory serves, didn’t Alex Scott get essentially assaulted? And I want to say it was on Sky? Where’s the retro ban there? 

Once again the lack of consistency is maddening. 

If you're thinking of the Preston game, Evans got a 4 game ban.

5 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

How so?  It's petulant and his studs go towards the blokes knee.  Catch him wrong and that could cause injury. There are times where we can feel hard done by, but I don't think this is one of those times.

Maybe…..but in the context of, for example, Joe Bennett’s almost identical kick out at Joe Williams, or Cunningham’s assault on Nakhi Wells, not to mention the endless deliberate trips from behind of players running full tilt that is becoming an increasingly frequent occurrence……yet this one gets a 4 game ban? 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Super said:

Sure people's opinions would be different the other way round. Too many biased views in here.

Not sure. I suspect most of us would not even notice, and if we did, wouldn’t care. The comments about Preston/Evans running through the thread seem to confirm that. 

4 hours ago, forbespm said:

Imagine gerry gow playing in this era.

Swansea player made a meal out of that soft challenge 

Just thinking the same..............Norman Hunter would have played around 6 games a season?......Ha!!   Personally i would think a 2 game ban for Sykes would suffice, it was not a potential leg breaker,  just a frustrated kick out.

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Super said:

Sure people's opinions would be different the other way round. Too many biased views in here.

Potentially however it does strike me that we are held to a different standard in certain areas- and I would add FFP monitoring requirements to that too, if we can find some proof of the latter we should look at querying this in Arbitration.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

It's fine to have a pop at the inconsistent nature of refs/FA but can't see how there can be any complaints regards to his ban.

He's lost his cool twice this season and it's cost him a red on both occasions. There's some petulance there but I wouldn't hold that against him.

• Like 3