IGNORED

Sykes 4 match ban

sh1t_ref_again

On 25/03/2023 at 07:58, Super said:

One is violent conduct the other isn't. 

I’d maintain that both are violent conduct, or neither. 

Both pre-meditated and involve a physical ‘attack’. Bizarrely, the one that could result, literally, in someone breaking a neck deemed the lesser of the two offences and a ‘yellow’. 

Only the FA!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Midred said:

They don't seem to take "mitigating factors" into account like in rugby. Yes, retaliation is frowned upon but surely in these cases they must be able to see what leads up to the offence?

"Must be able to see"?

They have VAR, with slo mo and every conceivable camera angle, and still, on too many occasions, can't see what the rest of us can.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

"Must be able to see"?

They have VAR, with slo mo and every conceivable camera angle, and still, on too many occasions, can't see what the rest of us can.

Even without VAR and with the normal television coverage it should be obvious. How do fans see in real time what is apparently beyond the scope of referees and linesmen?

54 minutes ago, RedRock said:

I’d maintain that both are violent conduct, or neither. 

If you take the 2 moments separately, you would have to say the original trip is an Orange. Red would be harsh, but he's not within playing distance of the ball and if he just goes up to Sykes when the ball is the other side of the pitch, it would be Red. But it's a "professional foul" and "taking on for the team", if he pulls Sykes shirt it's an easy Yellow, but he kicks him. Sykes is asking for trouble and that would usually be a Red, what I don't like is how do they Police games? Do they go through all the footage, or rely on reports. We get the shitty end of the stick on this it seems, Fam's suspension on the say of one Player and no word from Ref or TV, now this. Not saying it is the wrong decision, but it is wrong if every game isn't treated in the same way.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

If you take the 2 moments separately, you would have to say the original trip is an Orange. Red would be harsh, but he's not within playing distance of the ball and if he just goes up to Sykes when the ball is the other side of the pitch, it would be Red. But it's a "professional foul" and "taking on for the team", if he pulls Sykes shirt it's an easy Yellow, but he kicks him. Sykes is asking for trouble and that would usually be a Red, what I don't like is how do they Police games? Do they go through all the footage, or rely on reports. We get the shitty end of the stick on this it seems, Fam's suspension on the say of one Player and no word from Ref or TV, now this. Not saying it is the wrong decision, but it is wrong if every game isn't treated in the same way.

Bit like the player who pushed the referee is charged with violent conduct but Fernandes who pushes the lineman gets nothing. Both incidents on television.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Possibly getting mixed up but Sykes was booked for this wasn't he?

Why then was it upgraded whereas when Bennett got a yellow only in August v us he was fine to play on the nest game. In which ironically he was sent off for a lesser challenge v Birmingham!

Sykes wasn’t booked for for the kick-out, he was booked for the pushing and shoving afterwards.

Assessor might’ve asked the ref post-match, why did you only give Sykes a yellow.  Referee is probably claiming to his assessor he didn’t see it, hence can revisit it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Sykes wasn’t booked for for the kick-out, he was booked for the pushing and shoving afterwards.

Assessor might’ve asked the ref post-match, why did you only give Sykes a yellow.  Referee is probably claiming to his assessor he didn’t see it, hence can revisit it.

Thanks Dave.

Regardless of the merits of this specific incident we get the worse end of the stick IMO. Officiating on the day, post game and I maintain there is a question about equity of FFP impositions.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks Dave.

Regardless of the merits of this specific incident we get the worse end of the stick IMO. Officiating on the day, post game and I maintain there is a question about equity of FFP impositions.

If I was a cynic, I bet the referee did see it, applied a bit of common sense due to the cynical initial foul and gave three yellows.  Even though by the letter of the law Sykes’s kick-out was a red.

But as soon as the Assessor raises it, he “claims” he never saw that part of it, because he knows he made the wrong decision.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks Dave.

I know we joke about it now, but Bailey Wright was a joke, then Fam ? 
It doesn't sit well with me.
The only incident I can remember when the EFL have banned people retrospectively have been real nasty challenges . This Sykes one seems, though not wrong, very petty in comparison.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, spudski said:

Did the club appeal the judgement?

The footage was given to an  independent Regulatory Commission who viewed it, and deemed it ' violent conduct'. 

Sykes denies it. 

When you look at the footage he's still sliding on the floor when he sticks his leg out...he could argue that he was going for the ball and late in his action...rather than retaliating to a challenge. 

@Bob Turnip why the laughing emoji at this comment? 

Sykes denies doing it...denies it was done through violent conduct / retaliation.

If he's denying making his action through retaliation, deemed as violent conduct, what other reason would he have given for sticking his leg out whilst sliding on the ground ...other than going for the ball?

1 hour ago, spudski said:

@Bob Turnip why the laughing emoji at this comment? 

Sykes denies doing it...denies it was done through violent conduct / retaliation.

If he's denying making his action through retaliation, deemed as violent conduct, what other reason would he have given for sticking his leg out whilst sliding on the ground ...other than going for the ball?

I've no idea whether he denied it or not, but I'm not sure a player denying it means that based on his word he therefore must have been going for the ball..... Especially when the video clearly shows to anyone an intentional kick out and contact with the player.

Edited by Bob Turnip

23 minutes ago, Bob Turnip said:

I've no idea whether he denied it or not, but I'm not sure a player denying it means that based on his word he therefore must have been going for the ball..... Especially when the video clearly shows to anyone an intentional kick out and contact with the player.

And that was my point...it says on the Club website that he denied doing it in the way it was adjudged. 

If he's denying it, then it can only be one conclusion, in that he's saying he went for the ball. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

And that was my point...it says on the Club website that he denied doing it in the way it was adjudged. 

If he's denying it, then it can only be one conclusion, in that he's saying he went for the ball. 

Ah sorry, I thought you were arguing that he went for the ball. See what you are saying now.