IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

56 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Only my opinion, but far too much emphasis that the only way he can play / justify PL is if he can score goals.  So much more to his game than that, and in the right team his technique would allow him to slot into several teams in a 6 or 8 role.

We talk about his shooting being poor…(“can’t kick the ball properly ?)

IMG_7632.jpeg.23812382eef82339a762b871cd01b476.jpeg

But 39.1% shots on target is in the top 25% for CM in the Champ (see percentile rank chart below).  Goal conversion, just below average (Orange clicks below)

IMG_7633.jpeg.a37eedc0dd4b7d6e73d7ce76b92579ed.jpeg

he got 5 assists last season, that’s in the top 20% of CM in the champ.

If we take some of his other data, we start to see the technical ability on the ball of Alex Scott and why PL clubs aren’t looking too closely at the goals column (1 Lg 1 cup).

IMG_7634.jpeg.c645ed698310546abb87514354171038.jpeg

Those are pretty stellar on the ball stats across the board.

Ray parlour Patrick veria,

Two of arsenal's great players, nether bagged loads if goals

• Like 2

• Admin
1 hour ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head perfectly @Kid in the Riot.

He reminds me a bit of kids that haven't really been trained in Academies when they were younger on how to kick a ball properly.

For all his ability, his shooting can be poor, and you would expect more from his set piece delivery as well.

He certainly has all of the raw ingredients to get to the top, but anyone buying him would probably view him as huge potential, but until he's worked on those areas that he needs to, not really a starter in a PL team.

The price tag is high, as his profile will never be higher than what it is now, but if I was a lower end PL team I would also be looking at Cam Pring, who's trajectory performance wise reminds me of when Jim Brennan's career took off back in the day.

It could be higher next season. I expect him to get U21 caps next season even if he stays with us, and with a more solid team around him I wouldn’t be surprised to see him play with greater freedom and improve on the most visible output stats, goals & assists, in a play-off push.

• Like 2

Really hate the tunnel vision on goal scoring stats for a player playing in a relatively defensive pivoting midfielder position. In a team who either play on the counter, or rely on the pace of our wingers in behind the majority of the time. 

Alex Scott is quite easily the best ball carrier in our squad at 19. Both footed. Press resistant. Strong tackler. When he eventually finds himself in the attacking third he can take on a man and pass through the defence well. 

Also on a side note, the £25m price tag isn’t just for the player a club is receiving now, especially if it were spurs/Newcastle/Brighton coming in for him, it’s also for the player they have in 2/3 years time. Who with the right coaching will have realistic chances of being in the England set up and being a very good midfielder in the prem or another top league. 

If you watch his highlights against Man City you can clearly see the reasons teams are so interested. He looked comfortable against the best team in England. He played a hell of a lot better then kalvin Phillips who cost Man City £42 million at 26 yrs old.

Edited by George Rs
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 6

20 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Really hate the tunnel vision on goal scoring stats for a player playing in a relatively defensive pivoting midfielder position.

Shouldn’t be forgotten that due to injuries in the squad, he turned out as a RB/RWB in a few games, which won’t have helped his attacking stats. 

• Like 3

Alex Scott trending on Twitter btw. Would love to see him stay another year, think we will be defensively a lot better this coming season which would allow him to play higher up the pitch and get the goal contributions to prove people wrong but I don’t see it happening now.

Too much hype for him not to leave and a loan back option won’t happen with the amount of teams needing replacement midfielders.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Shouldn’t be forgotten that due to injuries in the squad, he turned out as a RB/RWB in a few games, which won’t have helped his attacking stats. 

Pinch of salt, but going off tranafermarkt, he had 13 games behind the striker and registered 0 goals and assists. 

Maybe it just isn’t his position that far forward. I would agree with that I think he is more of a box to box or even a playmaker from deep. However, with as talented as he is, you’d expect more return in the basic goals and assist stats. 

Wherever he plays, if he stayed another season, I’d like to see him put the team on his back a bit more. Doesn’t mean more goals and assists per se. Just be the main man that everyone knows is the key to how we play but still rarely stop him

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Only my opinion, but far too much emphasis that the only way he can play / justify PL is if he can score goals.  So much more to his game than that, and in the right team his technique would allow him to slot into several teams in a 6 or 8 role.

But 39.1% shots on target is in the top 25% for CM in the Champ (see percentile rank chart below).  Goal conversion, just below average (Orange clicks below)

If we take some of his other data, we start to see the technical ability on the ball of Alex Scott and why PL clubs aren’t looking too closely at the goals column (1 Lg 1 cup).

You don’t need to numerous graphs to tell you his shooting isn’t very good. You also don’t need them to tell you what a wonderful talent he is.

• Like 3

I wonder how many goals we’ve scored or chances created after Alex has broke the opposition press and released. 
It’s a bit or a travesty that a shanked shot or bad touch can end up counting as an assist but he gets no “stat credit” when he resisted Prestons press to play Nahki down the line for Sam Bell to score. I know who I think had the biggest contribution to that goal and it wasn’t the guy who got the assist or the guy who put the ball in the net. 

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Henry said:

You don’t need to numerous graphs to tell you his shooting isn’t very good. You also don’t need them to tell you what a wonderful talent he is.

I think his shooting is fine…was just using data to show that maybe some over over-egging it.  His goal v Blackpool, was that the mark of player who as Neil described looks like he’s not been coached to kick it properly?  It’s not like he gets many 10-12 yard genuine goal scoring opportunities is it.  As per the pic, it’s that he’s mainly restricted to longer (low chance) shots.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Evidenced based posts are not welcome here, we are starting the process of slagging off the most talented player we've had at AG in my lifetime so its easier to accept him leaving. 

He can't shoot, he's shit at crossing and he's actually a bit rubbish.... ?

Quite how a player with so many weaknesses in his game was Championship young player of the year is a scandal. Take it off him and give it to the player it should have gone to - Amad Diallo! ?

Edited by chinapig
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Assists is a pointless stat. You could play the greatest pass in history on a plate for a striker and if he misses it you it counts for nothing. 

Key passes, line breaks and passes leading to shots demonstrate more about a midfielder than any other stats. Those are areas where Scott is streets ahead of his peers. 

He's also never in a million years a 10. But that's by the by. 

Agree about assists. Agree about where Scott excels too and that he isn’t a natural 10. 

Just think he is talented enough to have better numbers when he does play further forward. I know not always that black and white dependent on systems and what is asked. Just would like to see more growth from him. Take another step and dominate at this level if he were to stay. 

In respect of Scott it has gone a bit quiet, hasn't it. The market moves on quickly so this could be dated by this time next week.

Some of the links. Wolves have FFP so it's unclear. They also have reportedly had a strong interest.

West Ham is an obvious choice but they reportedly are linked with Alvarez or failing that Palhinha for the position, Barnes will he another they will invest the proceeds in.

It'll be interesting to see but will clubs be going for the £25-30m? If so which clubs.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I've just read through a few pages and the consensus seems to be that Alex Scott isn't a very good player. Baffling. 

I guess it's some people's way of dealing with him leaving. 

And then I read posts about people panicking that we won't find a buyer cos there hasn't been any news. The premier league season finished 2 week ago. 3 premier league clubs have had games in the past week.

The transfer market has only just started to wake up from its winter hiatus. 

Alex's season has only just finished. 

100% he'll be leaving this summer. Might mot be this week or next, but he'll be leaving.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

23 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I've just read through a few pages and the consensus seems to be that Alex Scott isn't a very good player. Baffling. 

And then I read posts about people panicking that we won't find a buyer cos there hasn't been any news. The premier league season finished 2 week ago. 3 premier league clubs have had games in the past week.

100% he'll be leaving this summer. Might mot be this week or next, but he'll be leaving.

Doubt it mate, he can't even kick it properly.

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

No one has said that,

People have said he should be a little more effective in the final third,

Can you like the posts that say he isn't very good please.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I suggest reading it again. Nowhere does it say Alex Scott isn’t a good player. 

• Like 1

Genuinely amazed at the amount of people who either don’t rate him that much because of stat padding, or are maybe just saying it to ease the pain of him going. 

You may as well just pack it in if you can’t appreciate how he was these last two seasons. He’s probably the best player we’ll ever see in a City shirt. If that isn’t enough then ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

• Like 6
  • Flames 3

18 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Genuinely amazed at the amount of people who either don’t rate him that much because of stat padding, or are maybe just saying it to ease the pain of him going. 

You may as well just pack it in if you can’t appreciate how he was these last two seasons. He’s probably the best player we’ll ever see in a City shirt. If that isn’t enough then ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

Even if he wasn't as "effective" in the final third as some claim, he still did a couple of things in a match that in my mind would justify my entry fee. Those types of player have been few and far between, the last one was probably JET. 

21 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Pete 

The reason these people dont rate him is

He came from Guernsey and worked his way through the ranks

If we had paid £millions for him from the likes of Man Utd Liverpool Chelsea etc those same people would be w##king themselves silly over him

or they just dont know a great player when they see one

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Thanks for the stats @Davefevs

This to me points out the areas of his game in which Scott excels. The point I was making around his shooting and set piece delivery was areas where he needs to improve as @Kid in the Riot states.

When shooting he needs to develop hitting through the ball ( a good example Haydon Robert's goal for Derby from outside the box). 

I think Weimann's goal against Blackpool was our only goal from outside the box this season (I stand to be corrected if not).

Is Scott an excellent young player, absolutely. Is he the most outstanding  young prospect we've had for a long while, without a doubt.

But he is still on an upward trajectory(hopefully) and needs to improve in certain areas to continue his journey into the PL, he is of course still only 19.

The run he made for the goal against West Brom in the cup was excellent. But we didn't see enough of those this season.  For me he was trying so hard at times to get us on the front foot moving forward that it affected his game.

Without Naismith in the middle he was having to come deep to get the ball and get us moving forward. I'm sure if he is still here in August, then that's something NP will address.

He certainly wasn't at his best after he came back from injury in the last 2 months of the season. Whether the speculation had had an effect, who can say. But Burnley in particular did a job on him in the last game, leading to his uncharacteristic error. 

The Scott saga has got all the makings of a late transfer for me unfortunately. It would be wonderful to get it done early, but like Bryan's one (that last game against Forest when we knew he was off), I think it'll be late in the window.

As an aside, have we ever actually turned down a bid for him? I remember saying Wolves had a £15m 9ne turned do2n unofficially, but unlike Forest's one with Semenyo I don't remember any club officially testing the water with us do far?

• Like 1

I personally think he is a good player, but at the same time, I do kind of feel he is rather hyped up. I mean I don't know if he is the real deal, future England star. It wasn't so long ago, many on here were saying Tammy was England's future number 9. I would agree he is probably one of, if not our best player, he is clever on and off the ball, but he does need more goals and assists to be talked about the way some fans and media outlets have done. He is exciting, still raw potential, but I personally have no idea how to value him. 

Based on all the reports, hype, press etc, we are now saying 25m+ for him, but flip side of the coin is, if I supported a bigger club and they were paying 25m for him, I would probably be thinking that seems too much. Personally I would not be surprised to see him stay here another season, as I'm not sure the clubs that would appeal to him, are going to offer what we would want, and I have a feeling he wouldn't be interested in a move to say Southampton, Sheffield United or Palace, who are clubs who may not get first targets and could come willing to offer 20m+ for him. 

Yes, I agree he's a good player, but I don't think he is a player who in my opinion is the best I've seen, or would be thinking he'll make 25-30m and play for England. 

But then, the game is all about opinions. 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

I personally think he is a good player, but at the same time, I do kind of feel he is rather hyped up. I mean I don't know if he is the real deal, future England star. It wasn't so long ago, many on here were saying Tammy was England's future number 9. I would agree he is probably one of, if not our best player, he is clever on and off the ball, but he does need more goals and assists to be talked about the way some fans and media outlets have done. He is exciting, still raw potential, but I personally have no idea how to value him. 

Based on all the reports, hype, press etc, we are now saying 25m+ for him, but flip side of the coin is, if I supported a bigger club and they were paying 25m for him, I would probably be thinking that seems too much. Personally I would not be surprised to see him stay here another season, as I'm not sure the clubs that would appeal to him, are going to offer what we would want, and I have a feeling he wouldn't be interested in a move to say Southampton, Sheffield United or Palace, who are clubs who may not get first targets and could come willing to offer 20m+ for him. 

Yes, I agree he's a good player, but I don't think he is a player who in my opinion is the best I've seen, or would be thinking he'll make 25-30m and play for England. 

But then, the game is all about opinions. 

Goals maybe, but assists is not a great measure, I saw another stat that said he had created 43 opportunities this season. I have just watched a few of the highlights because I was looking for a specific clip that I can't find, but I was struck by how many chances he made that weren't finished or how many of the moves that led to chances and goals started with his work in the first place. 

That to me is what has got a lot of football people raving, assists would come more freely with a more free scoring team.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

That to me is what has got a lot of football people raving, assists would come more freely with a more free scoring team.

There was an interesting video on the Tifo url YouTube channel this morning about Alexis Mac Allister.

He played 35 games for Brighton last season. Number of assists? 2!

What on earth are Liverpool doing paying £35m for him??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Goals maybe, but assists is not a great measure, I saw another stat that said he had created 43 opportunities this season. I have just watched a few of the highlights because I was looking for a specific clip that I can't find, but I was struck by how many chances he made that weren't finished or how many of the moves that led to chances and goals started with his work in the first place. 

The best example of creating a goal but not getting an assist - Conway’s diving header at Blackburn.  Dribbles out of defence to pass to Weimann. Or Preston (a). That’s why judging on assists (and goals) is an incredibly blinkered way of judging Alex Scott. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

However good he’s been for us (very), it’s not guaranteed that he’ll push on at a significantly higher level. Bellingham vs Abraham vs a complete flop at top level having shown potential in Championship, would highlight the delta of possible outcomes at this stage in his career. Given his age, the potential ceiling is very high, so think a selling club, proven at developing talent, but a long way above us, would be the place to go, rather than one of the very biggest clubs. To me that screams Brighton, Dortmund or maybe Leipzig (sure there are others), but clearly the latter two very dependent on Alex’s appetite to play abroad. Brighton seems a relatively obvious choice for all concerned, but obviously not as simple as ticking a few boxes that support that option.