IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

3 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I would like to see Alex play behind the striker(s) more where his pressing ability can be better utilised. I think that's his best position. I think he is somewhat wasted in the defensive midfield position.

You may well be correct about his most influential position in the team. But due to the small squad in the last two seasons, Pearson has had no other options due to injuries and lack of cover in many positions.

So Scott has been used as the best answer in so many places but also for him a big help in his development. A one position player will never learn as much as Alex has in the two and a bit years that he's been in our side.

With all the financial changes that have been made, the best route for City would be to keep him for one more season in his best and most influential position which as you state, is probably behind the two strikers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I would like to see Alex play behind the striker(s) more where his pressing ability can be better utilised. I think that's his best position. I think he is somewhat wasted in the defensive midfield position.

He's better as a defensive midfielder...of this I have no doubt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

0898121176 from memory. I remember hearing Joe Jordan’s interviews and desperately trying to understand what he was saying. 
The phone bills at my company must have been astronomical.

Spot on.

I lived in a shared house, and one of the girls said she'd never rung one of those sex lines that proliferated back then. I gave her that number and told her it was about well-endowed young ladies.

So she went "right, let's see what the fuss is" and dialled it...her face...?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Right first time. A bit of poetic licence on Atyeo as he was only an amateur at Pompey when HD charmed him and his family that City was the best option.

And quite correct about the three from our promotion to the First Division.

I actually believe Scott will get more caps than Atyeo, Roy Bentley and Billy Wedlock.

With apologies to Billy Jones and Joe Cottle who got one cap each in 1900's. Even before my Dad watching City as he saw Wedlock just before the war in 1914.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 2
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

@italian dave can you translate? 

The gist I’ve seen from other tweets on the subject is that we have a €25m valuation but Inter think it can be done for €18m, which only equates to about £15m, given it’s a good £10m-£15m shy of City’s price I’d imagine it would be a no. Would be interesting on Scott’s thoughts on going abroad, given you’d imagine he’d have his eyes on the senior England squad if he’s playing top division football and Southgate’s reluctance to look abroad unless you’re undeniable like Bellingham or he’s short of options as seeming when Tammy got a call up. 

20 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

@italian dave can you translate? 

I could, but it would be much like the Google translate if you click the button just below the post!!!

Basically, Inter are interested, but value him at €18m, not our 25. (As per @Lrrrs reply I’ve just seen!)

The replies to the post are interesting: mostly along the lines of never heard of him and even €18m would be too much!

PS - it seems to be being touted across a number of Italian sources. Almost all off the back of the mercatoweb story…..but that’s partly because that’s seen as a reasonable source - of rumours at least! 

Edited by italian dave
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

He's better as a defensive midfielder...of this I have no doubt.

???

1 hour ago, Percy Pig said:

He played there at the end of the season and was pretty average for the first time in his career. 

He isn't wasted at all in deeper positions, it gets him on the ball more. He dictates tempo from there. It might not help his stats, that so many seem keen to criticise him for,  but it does help the team to have him on the ball, breaking lines and resisting the opposition press. Those last two parts of his game are by far the most valuable. That ability is rare and in coaches who follow the Pep "positional play" mantra will want that in their team. 

Is my answer too

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Super said:

I'm not sure Italy is a good move for him. I actually think a West Ham would be the better move.

Disagree, not the league it used to be and playing for a title and Champs League every year. 2 good seasons there and he is making a move like Bellingham has this summer.

11 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Disagree, not the league it used to be and playing for a title and Champs League every year. 2 good seasons there and he is making a move like Bellingham has this summer.

The German League is a lot different though to the Italian league. Has there been any English Youngster that has gone to Italy?

Edited by Super

7 minutes ago, Super said:

The German League is a lot different though to the Italian league. Has there been any English Youngster that has gone to Italy?

I posted earlier in the thread, Robbie Keane went to Inter at a similar age, obviously Irish but from English football.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Super said:

Samual Iling-Junior is currently at Juventus, and doing well. 

English youngsters are getting more opportunities abroad, and all credit to them for doing so. 

I always remember Ray Wilkins speaking on Talksport that English players (if not getting opportunities at prem teams) should make the Premier League buy back their talent. And that’s what’s now happening on a more regular basis. 

Unfortunately, English clubs don’t have the patience required for young talents. Instead they will go and spend £30m on a player the same age from Spain etc.

1 minute ago, Gazred said:

I posted earlier in the thread, Robbie Keane went to Inter at a similar age, obviously Irish but from English football.

Ah yes i remember. Didn't work out at all for him did it? Although remember him saying he couldn't turn them down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Why do Milan bullishly think they can get him for 10 mil less ? Is it just because they are Milan ?

Milan don’t. Inter do. (see the discussion on names on the Champions League thread!)

And they don’t reckon on 10m - they are talking about 18m. And the way these things work that is presumably the opening shot.

£s and €s seem to be treated as 1-1 in the articles for some reason.

Inter have been public about their wish to strengthen midfield though. So there’s a reason for their rumoured interest. 

• Like 1

On 22/06/2023 at 11:47, chinapig said:

Especially as Rice has let it be known that he wants to join Arsenal and has already agreed terms with them.

Man City stepping it up… (for Rice, that is)

https://twitter.com/skysportsnews/status/1671984212541427714?s=46

Edited by Dastardly and Muttley
Clarity