IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

1 hour ago, Jimbo123 said:

From what I've seen of him.

Twine scored more in his last season in League One just from free kicks than Alex Scott has in his career.

I think Scott's going to have a great career, but anyone who's watched Scott and Twine will acknowledge Twine currently is a better footballer.

Did you see him play in the Championship last season? I know many who have seen Twine last season and they do not agree with your view he is better than Scott. In fact, far from it. A game of views of course, but your statement anyone will acknowledge Twine is currently a better footballer is incorrect. It might be your view, which is fine. But it is not a fact. 

Just now, Psychopomp said:

Did you see him play in the Championship last season? I know many who have seen Twine last season and they do not agree with your view he is better than Scott. In fact, far from it. A game of views of course, but your statement anyone will acknowledge Twine is currently a better footballer is incorrect. It might be your view, which is fine. But it is not a fact. 

I did a few times, was injured a lot of the season wasn't he.

Scored a match winner against West Brom in a Jan game I watched him in.

Just now, BarnzFM said:

Feels like putting a price on it at all is a negotiating tactic, if we don’t want to sell then why give any price?

Because at £25m we would begrudgingly sell., but know we’d put a lot of clubs off too.

(only my guesswork)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I thought the club had made it extremely clear that we value Scott at £25m.

That's not a starting price for discussion, make a lower offer and we'll meet you half way, it's our minimum expected price.

We're Bristol City, seen as a middling Championship club, so interested clubs might feel we have to take what they offer.

On the contrary we don't have to sell and if Scott is to go it should only be for our top price - it's unlikely we'll have another saleable asset like him for many years, if ever.

He'll be a significant loss to City, potentially a huge asset to the buyers, and we know there is widespread interest.

City must hold their nerve, stick to their guns, and ensure we are duly compensated.

Couldn't of put it better myself.

I actually think the club will do exactly this and not accept a penny under £25m.

IMO he's worth all of that considering he's got two years left on contract, still only 19 with two years experience playing almost every game for us. 

Add to that the potential alone is huge, it's quite clear he's got all the attributes to make it to the top, now it's all about learning and maturing into the complete player that i'm 100% sure he will become.

Edited by Spudgun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

Twine better then Scott? That's like saying paddy madden should start up top for England because he scored more goals then kane

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That's not a starting price for discussion, make a lower offer and we'll meet you half way, it's our minimum expected price.

We're Bristol City, seen as a middling Championship club, so interested clubs might feel we have to take what they offer.

On the contrary we don't have to sell and if Scott is to go it should only be for our top price - it's unlikely we'll have another saleable asset like him for many years, if ever.

He'll be a significant loss to City, potentially a huge asset to the buyers, and we know there is widespread interest.

City must hold their nerve, stick to their guns, and ensure we are duly compensated.

I don't disagree, good post without doubt. If we can retain the benefit of Scott for another year then that would be brilliant and may help us to push on further.

It will be interesting to see what the top bid will be however.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

City must hold their nerve, stick to their guns, and ensure we are duly compensated

:clap:

If Scott played for another championship club and against us put in a performance like he did at Preston, Blackburn or Norwich our fans would be eulogising about him and would probably have little problem with his club asking what we are.

The fact is that fans of many championship clubs have eulogised about AS after seeing him play.

I've mentioned previously about an article that mentioned the problem of countering the sort of press that Man City use. Accordingly clubs are looking for players capable of receiving the ball deep, under pressure in tight positions and being able to control the ball and spring a counter to break the press.

That is exactly what Scott can do. I'd also suggest that most other top championship midfielders, and many in the prem can't do it,  and Scott is doing it at age 19!

There's more to his game of course, But that is what makes him especially valuable and why, although the club won't want to sell, we want to ensure we get top dollar when he does go.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Twine played a total of 531 minutes last season, his first in the championship, and started only 4 games. How can he be compared with Alex Scott...

He was injured for a lot of it, and then struggled to break into one of the best teams the Championship's seen.

That's how.

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

7 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

He was injured for a lot of it, and then struggled to break into one of the best teams the Championship's seen.

That's how.

Can you not see the irony in your own reply. That's why they are saying..how can you say he's better when he's never actually played at this level yet. Whether or not he's had the opportunity based on injury or opportunity makes no difference.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Can you not see the irony in your own reply. That's why they are saying..how can you say he's better when he's never actually played at this level yet. Whether or not he's had the opportunity based on injury or opportunity makes no difference.

Because I've seen enough of him as a player to know what his ability.

I've written scout reports on him to provide to three different managers, one of which ended up signing him.

I hope Twine signs for us now (I doubt it because of his wage), but if he did our fans would absolutely love him.

If not him, then there's lots out there. Swift again maybe wages might be an issue but West Brom are having to cut their cloth, Azaz a realistic one I like and have reported on before. There are good options out there to replace, and ones that I think would impact the first team more than Scott does currently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

Because I've seen enough of him as a player to know what his ability.

I've written scout reports on him to provide to three different managers, one of which ended up signing him.

I hope Twine signs for us now (I doubt it because of his wage), but if he did our fans would absolutely love him.

If not him, then there's lots out there. Swift again maybe wages might be an issue but West Brom are having to cut their cloth, Azaz a realistic one I like and have reported on before. There are good options out there to replace, and ones that I think would impact the first team more than Scott does currently.

You're stringing us along.

If Twine is better than Scott, at least Kompany won’t be trying to Scott for Burnley then!!!

Ok, I’m being facetious.

Seriously though they are two very different players imho, or at least have been since Twine moved to MKD.  He’s been very much a “forward”, playing off or around the front man in the left half of the pitch.  Scott has played a lot of minutes as a conventional “midfielder” and as a more “attacking midfielder” (cross between an 8 and 10) too.  Scott most definitely isn’t a “free-man” type, who doesn’t have much responsibility out of possession.

Twine Heatmap 21/22 (not enough mins for last season):

image.png.29e65d7d3049208fce8763fe2bba6553.png

Scott Heatmap 22/23:

as a conventional midfielder:

image.png.edf0aa3981f3f37388db421c2654e12c.png

as an attacking midfielder:

image.png.7e5d039684cdd217bc3847bab402dff6.png
Twine did play more central at Newport though.

@Jimbo123 out of interest, why didn’t Tinnion take Twine?

• Like 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

If Twine is better than Scott, at least Kompany won’t be trying to Scott for Burnley then!!!

Ok, I’m being facetious.

Seriously though they are two very different players imho, or at least have been since Twine moved to MKD.  He’s been very much a “forward”, playing off or around the front man in the left half of the pitch.  Scott has played a lot of minutes as a conventional “midfielder” and as a more “attacking midfielder” (cross between an 8 and 10) too.  Scott most definitely isn’t a “free-man” type, who doesn’t have much responsibility out of possession.

Twine Heatmap 21/22 (not enough mins for last season):

image.png.29e65d7d3049208fce8763fe2bba6553.png

Scott Heatmap 22/23:

as a conventional midfielder:

image.png.edf0aa3981f3f37388db421c2654e12c.png

as an attacking midfielder:

image.png.7e5d039684cdd217bc3847bab402dff6.png
Twine did play more central at Newport though.

@Jimbo123 out of interest, why didn’t Tinnion take Twine?

They're absolutely different players mate, both with many outstanding qualities.

The point I'm trying to get across is that whilst I think Scott is a fabulous player, and somebody who's going to net us £20m+ and go onto have a great career at the top level, with Scott you're buying a lot of potential whereas with someone like Twine, or Swift they're closer to their potential, their goal contribution output is much better (Pearson mentioned the importance of adding goals from midfield on a few occasions) and I think if you're looking to get promoted we'd be better off having a match winner like Twine in our side than we are Alex Scott currently.

As for why we didn't take him - last summer it wasn't even considered, MK Dons were asking for around about £5m for him and he had lots of interest from wealthier clubs than us (Burnley being one, hence ending up there).

The season before when he was out of contract at Swindon he was known to the club, but maybe seen as too much of a gamble.

I find the idea that "because Twine hasn't played a lot of Championship football, he can't be as good a player" a silly one. When we were signing Nahki Wells, Ivan Toney was one being closely monitored by us (another player I've done reports on) and I said at the time we'd be much better off investing in Toney rather than Wells, and got similar responses "but Wells is proven at the level, Toney's not done it above L1" etc.

I know you don't Dave but you can't just look at the level a footballer is playing at and disregard ability.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ended up in a weird state this thread. Twine is evidently a good player, but has only really done it in league 1, will be interesting to see how he gets on in the prem next year. An injury hit season last year and he was also in a team that were by far the best in the league so he was able to get forward plenty, unlike Alex Scott who does a hell of a lot of defensive work, and has played almost every game in the Championship in the last 2 seasons, and is also 3 years younger.

I see Scott valued at £25-£30m, don't think a foreign club will pay that for him, but think top flight English clubs would. I'd like to see something happen though, not necessarily sell him, but a new contract would be nice, if we keep him for this season, he's then into the final year of his contract, and then the price comes down big time. Would rather see him go for £20m this year than £10m next.

Edited by BCFCAL
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Swift is a good player, I reckon at 28 (last Friday - hence 27 on my end of season data) he might be high a price (fee) for that age, unless West Brom would do a Dickie.  Wages will be a stumbling block with 2 years left on his contract.

IMG_7832.thumb.jpeg.4b315794bfeeb51d33eedaac3ce38e73.jpeg

He's 27 until he's 28...

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

When we were signing Nahki Wells, Ivan Toney was one being closely monitored by us (another player I've done reports on) and I said at the time we'd be much better off investing in Toney rather than Wells, and got similar responses "but Wells is proven at the level, Toney's not done it above L1" etc.

Also have to consider the finances. We had money in the bank with Burnley we could use with negotiations. With Toney joined Brentford for a similar fee (plus hefty additional bonuses). 

2 minutes ago, Selred said:

Also have to consider the finances. We had money in the bank with Burnley we could use with negotiations. With Toney joined Brentford for a similar fee (plus hefty additional bonuses). 

Toney was being touted by DMAC at the time we signed Wells for £10m plus loan back to see if Posh could achieve promotion.  Hence Brentford waited until the summer.

I could never understand why LJ having had Toney at Barnsley didn’t go for him much earlier.  I guess players develop at different rates, but even so!

Wells was significantly cheaper, because we “did a deal” on the Brownhill fee!

Wells hasn’t been a bad signing overall.  I wouldn’t have been saying that a while back though!

3 hours ago, downendcity said:

:clap:

If Scott played for another championship club and against us put in a performance like he did at Preston, Blackburn or Norwich our fans would be eulogising about him and would probably have little problem with his club asking what we are.

The fact is that fans of many championship clubs have eulogised about AS after seeing him play.

I've mentioned previously about an article that mentioned the problem of countering the sort of press that Man City use. Accordingly clubs are looking for players capable of receiving the ball deep, under pressure in tight positions and being able to control the ball and spring a counter to break the press.

That is exactly what Scott can do. I'd also suggest that most other top championship midfielders, and many in the prem can't do it,  and Scott is doing it at age 19!

There's more to his game of course, But that is what makes him especially valuable and why, although the club won't want to sell, we want to ensure we get top dollar when he does go.

Mind you, fans of many Championship clubs also eulogised about HNM and about Fam! 

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

Mind you, fans of many Championship clubs also eulogised about HNM and about Fam! 

Scott has done it pretty consistently over the best part of 2 full seasons and is still only 19.

HNM did it for a handful of games and although he could have been handled better by LJ, did not progress in his time here as has AS.

Fam was not 19.

Scott's career ceiling will almost certainly be higher than either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Scott has done it pretty consistently over the best part of 2 full seasons and is still only 19.

HNM did it for a handful of games and although he could have been handled better by LJ, did not progress in his time here as has AS.

Fam was not 19.

Scott's career ceiling will almost certainly be higher than either.

Yeah, agree with all that……just making the (only half serious) point that the eulogies is opposing fans isn’t always a guide! 

4 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Yeah, agree with all that……just making the (only half serious) point that the eulogies is opposing fans isn’t always a guide! 

There was that manager of the team we met in the FA cup (Pop Gladalover, or something like that) who was full of praise for Alex's performance

........but what would he know?:)

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, downendcity said:

There was that manager of the team we met in the FA cup (Pop Gladalover, or something like that) who was full of praise for Alex's performance

........but what would he know?:)

Ha ha….no disrespect to Preston or Norwich fans, but I’d give his eulogies a bit more time!!

I've said all along that I can't see any EPL club paying 25m for Scott, I think its a figure derived to either keep him here or get over the odds for him if we have to lose him imo.

If he does go, I think it'll be because Scott and/or his agent is pushing for it and it'll be for a lot less than 25m.

Hope he stays for another season, could make a difference to where we end up.

• Like 4