IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

As for West Ham.

They're set to place a bid for a midfielder today. Zakaria for €18m but Juventus want €25m.

Borussia Dortmund seem to have (at present) dropped out of the race for Alvarez so that is another avenue open to West Ham.

That said Rice and Lanzini have departed to they'll need at least 2 midfielders IMO.

• Like 1

Thinking one or two windows ahead, short of promotion if we don't get a £25m bid what's the plan?

I expect clubs will try to leverage down the price because it's business, obviously. Factors to consider:

1) Scott may have his head turned by a PL or foreign top division club. See Gykores at Coventry and in general many players down the years.

2) How long has the contract offer been on the table for?

3) Once we get into the final 18 months value v time wise starts to cross a threshold, thinking the January window. Usually not a good time to sell although post a Winter World Cup that could change- Souttar at £15m seemed a bit toppy IMO. Could depend on how we are doing on the pitch too as to our necessity and or inclination to sell at that point.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

If there is no 'bidding war' then I suspect any potential buyer will wait til the last couple of days of the window to test City's resolve with an offer in the region of £15/18 million plus add ons. Why pay £25 m now. A potential buyer will know that we need to maximise any sale this summer.

I really expect Alex to be lining up in our first couple of games but not in September.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

If there is no 'bidding war' then I suspect any potential buyer will wait til the last couple of days of the window to test City's resolve with an offer in the region of £15/18 million plus add ons. Why pay £25 m now. A potential buyer will know that we need to maximise any sale this summer.

I really expect Alex to be lining up in our first couple of games but not in September.

If rumours are to be believed, we've already batted away an 18m enquiry

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thinking one or two windows ahead, short of promotion if we don't get a £25m bid what's the plan?

I expect clubs will try to leverage down the price because it's business, obviously. Factors to consider:

1) Scott may have his head turned by a PL or foreign top division club. See Gykores at Coventry and in general many players down the years.

2) How long has the contract offer been on the table for?

3) Once we get into the final 18 months value v time wise starts to cross a threshold, thinking the January window. Usually not a good time to sell although post a Winter World Cup that could change- Souttar at £15m seemed a bit toppy IMO. Could depend on how we are doing on the pitch too as to our necessity and or inclination to sell at that point.

You would know the figures better than me but doesn’t the last covid year drop off after this season? I expect we’ll be pretty comfortable going into next summer either way for how we now do business. 

So even if we get 10-12m for Alex next summer, we will be well off. It seems to me we will want to be more in the 8-10m loss range at most going forward. Not pushing that 13m a season. Maybe a rare occasion we think we are close and add a piece or two and push it for a season. Just don’t think that will be the norm like it was under Ashton. So if that is the case expect everyone is calm.

Maybe we do something for AS if he doesn’t go this window. Like extend a season with a release clause more like what we’d expect to get for him with a year left. Maybe even a bit less. Obviously max his wage so he has protection against injury. 

I think probably best for everyone if he goes this summer for the 20-25m up front plus add ons and sell ons. Just don’t think we are desperate like we were 12-24 months ago. 

Correct Joe.

The £28m loss for 21/22 will actually be less because of Covid allowances / normal allowances.

Last season (22/23) will be less that 21/22 through a combo of increased revenues / reduced costs and £10m from Semenyo…less normal allowances.

Plus we have several players with sellable value.

• Like 1

My best estimates are, I believe our typical allowables £7m per season.

£28.5m in 2021-22 less £7m in FFP costs and using the baseline EFL Covid losses £2.5m so £19m in 2021-22.

@ExiledAjax a while ago iirc suggested £13m in losses last year including Semenyo. That is £6m in FFP terms I reckon. No need for Covid allowances for seasons after 2pw1-22 except for inclusion in FFP numbers for that cycle. It makes sense too, Cup run, a one-off impairment reduction, some wage and amortisation savings net fall less the new additions. Maybe £12-13m given the accelerated Janaury.

Therefore we can lose £14-15m in FFP terms this year so maybe £21-22m before tax our limit.

Reid would have been one for us but who else?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On 28/06/2023 at 10:49, BCFCAL said:

Benarous with the highest score on the fitness test yesterday - if he can stay fit and play like the glimpses we seen, a midfield of James/Naismith, Scott and Benarous would be very nice in my eyes!

Is it just me, or is Ayman not in any of the videos from the Austria trip? Hopefully it's just a case of his training program, and not another set back

10 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

Is it just me, or is Ayman not in any of the videos from the Austria trip? Hopefully it's just a case of his training program, and not another set back

I assumed he was continuing his recovery at home, nothing to worry about.

Rob Atkinson hasn’t travelled either, has he?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

We may keep our best player, and unbelievably some on here sound disappointed. I want to see Scott in a City shirt next season, and enjoy the football.

I would rather keep him than not. The only issue is, we get to next summer and he hasn't signed a new deal, teams could be willing to wait another year and he'll go for free. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

We may keep our best player, and unbelievably some on here sound disappointed. I want to see Scott in a City shirt next season, and enjoy the football.

Scott will not be here after August. Not ITK, but we will sell him. 

6 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Care to list the people who sound disappointed?

I

As I fail to see anyone,

What I do see is realistic opinions, not some fantasist who think we can turn down massive bids from team competing in europe

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

I would rather keep him than not. The only issue is, we get to next summer and he hasn't signed a new deal, teams could be willing to wait another year and he'll go for free. 

I'd rather keep him too. There's no need for him to sign a new deal now (although it would be nice). A years extension next year would help any sale. 

On a different tack, if we don't get a replacement (Knight or whoever) is there a cut off date when we say its too late in the window so we're not selling him now. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Added content

11 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

To be honest two years of Scott would be a dream. As I said, the money is nice, but not sure we’ll run the club in the way that we need to sell. I wonder what our compensation would be if his contract ran down? @Davefevs or @Mr Popodopolous any insights on that? Assuming a premier league club. 

Blackburn just done it with Brereton Diaz. Valued him highly to the point he didn’t go. Didn’t pay off with promotion but shows you can keep players destined for bigger things happy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

To be honest two years of Scott would be a dream. As I said, the money is nice, but not sure we’ll run the club in the way that we need to sell. I wonder what our compensation would be if his contract ran down? @Davefevs or @Mr Popodopolous any insights on that? Assuming a premier league club. 

Blackburn just done it with Brereton Diaz. Valued him highly to the point he didn’t go. Didn’t pay off with promotion but shows you can keep players destined for bigger things happy. 

Danny Ings is the most high profile PFCC compo.

image.thumb.png.151058dc1de4d068105fdc28ad4ef879.png

Assuming that he’s had two improving seasons (he should do, he’s only 19), and clubs courting him might include the top 6 clubs, then I’d expect Ings record to be broken.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, P'head Red said:

And you will say the same about Conway next year, and probably said the same about Semenyo last.

9 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

In fact the first , “ what can we get for Conway” thread has just started. 

No it hasn't, it's a what's Conway worth thread with most posters saying he could be a 20 to 30 million player but currently not for sale, because he isnt easily replaced,

If you actually bothered to read it you would know this.....

Edited by Monkeh
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

No it hasn't, it's a what's Conway worth thread with most posters saying he could be a 20 to 30 million player but currently not for sale, because he isnt easily replaced,

If you actually bothered to read it you would know this.....

I did , and I know where it is going too

3 hours ago, P'head Red said:

I thought I had seen him in the day 3 video, but I get easily mixed up these days.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I assumed he was continuing his recovery at home, nothing to worry about.

Rob Atkinson hasn’t travelled either, has he?

No, he is still here and still working on his recovery, mainly on a special space age treadmill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1