IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Something Pearson said stuck out for me. 

As we all know, these days players will agree contracts before a club even makes a bid. Or at the very least give the buying a club a good indication they would want to join. 

Pearson said something along the lines of "When a club meets our valuation then that will give them the opportunity to speak with Alex" which to me, reading between the lines suggests that Alex may need a little bit of convincing by Bournemouth for him to join them. I think he will because its more money and playing in the premier league, but I don't think he's 100% sold on the idea of rejoining Bournemouth. 

I could be totally wrong but what Pearson said did stick out to me. 

I don’t think either club goes as far as they have without a decent indication from Alex (maybe via his agent) that he is keen.

That is not to say Alex might decide not to sign for whatever reason.  There are countless scenarios that could play out between given them the nod and signing on the dotted line.  For example, they sign another midfielder in direct competition.

Nige is just playing the game, saying the right things to limit what he has to say.  He’s very honest, but he’s also careful to close down the subject too.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Something Pearson said stuck out for me. 

As we all know, these days players will agree contracts before a club even makes a bid. Or at the very least give the buying a club a good indication they would want to join. 

Pearson said something along the lines of "When a club meets our valuation then that will give them the opportunity to speak with Alex" which to me, reading between the lines suggests that Alex may need a little bit of convincing by Bournemouth for him to join them. I think he will because its more money and playing in the premier league, but I don't think he's 100% sold on the idea of rejoining Bournemouth. 

I could be totally wrong but what Pearson said did stick out to me. 

I think a lot of football manager talk is a riddle wrapped in an enigma,,, i havent heard it but I understand pearson said he doesnt know how many bids there have been for scott which is clearly questionable… and nige is probably regarded as one of the more straight talking guys around… thats why this 25 mil gets you a seat at the table stuff is also open to question,,, we are clearly not privy to private business conversations going on,,, alex might not have gone to meet bournemouth himself, but it’s guaranteed that his representatives have and know exactly what has been offered!

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

I think really  he doesn't  affect games consistently  enough probably due to his age for his departure  to be lamented that much as I said if City can find someone( maybe it will be Jason Knight) who scores goals from midfield something the team has lacked for a long time we'll not miss him very much,and £ 25 million is exceptional business for the club.

In an era where goals and assists seem to be the measures of a player's effectiveness, then Alex will probably be judged to not affect a game.

However, he does affect games from much deeper - often in our own half. Witness at Preston and Blackburn where by his skill he launched attacks that resulted in goals 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, petehinton said:

Argh. Really couldn’t be worse timing could it. Ffs

I wish Bournemouth would just pheck off!   Sorry but there constant culling of our best players is beginning to piss me off             .........Kelly, Semenyo and now Scott....  we  either need to officially become their feeder club, or just start sponsoring them, and advertising our name on  their shirts? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, downendcity said:

In an era where goals and assists seem to be the measures of a player's effectiveness, then Alex will probably be judged to not affect a game.

However, he does affect games from much deeper - often in our own half. Witness at Preston and Blackburn where by his skill he launched attacks that resulted in goals 

Exactly.  And if it was based on the ones and zeros og goal and assists, he wouldn’t be attracting the interest he is, nor get such glowing references from Pep and Jack in a game we lost and he didn’t score nor assist.  You rightly pick up those two games as examples where he did the grunt work for the early part of the attack.  He does that kinda thing several times per game.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Judging anyone other than a forward by goals and assists is moronic. Makes me cringe whenever someone makes a judgement on Scott or any other centre mid by their goal contributions.

Matty James has scored once for City. Nobody sensible is using that to form a judgement around his ability.

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

56 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I know it maybe a rehash of a post from earlier but thinking about it further, do we give credence to the claim that Wolves agreed Personal Terms with Scott? That Leister does seem to think so.

More to the point, would we have given permission in such a scenario? Yea I know rules v reality but if not we should consider reporting.

Entirely possibly terms have already been agreed. Don't forget Wolves' original bid was back in January, so there has been long term interest. It's rumoured Scott even visited Wolves' training ground back in January too. That will surprise a lot of fans, but is not unusual for players to visit facilities before a bid has been accepted. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Entirely possibly terms have already been agreed. Don't forget Wolves' original bid was back in January, so there has been long term interest. It's rumoured Scott even visited Wolves' training ground back in January too. That will surprise a lot of fans, but is not unusual for players to visit facilities before a bid has been accepted. 

That's true, and thanks.

I'm open minded on it and I know how it all evolves but given our stance on our price tag (publicly at least) would the club have been cognisant of, relaxed about such a prospect.

4 hours ago, the1stknowle said:

They are spending so much that surely they will have to be very choosy about which of their promising youngsters they can hang on to and which they need to cash in on. Saw a story today that they might be willing to sell younger Ramsey to Burnley and no one is disputing that he is very highly rated. But obviously not when compared to Diaby, Tielemans, Mcginn, his brother etc (at least at the moment).

Maybe they start looking at the Man City route of sell everything but insist on a buy back. 

You are probably right though that he'd be out of our range. I do hope we are a bit ambitious with our Scott replacement targets though. 

And now they are signing Tyler Adams so he will be pushed even further down list. At minimum he will be available for loan. 

I am still not convinced Alex will go to Bournemouth even I If he is happy with what they offer him.

He is young and comes across as a smart lad. He may be happy to wait and see what transpires later this window or in the next two windows.

There is no way we are chasing him out the door., so all of this may come to nothing in the short term

5 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I am still not convinced Alex will go to Bournemouth even I If he is happy with what they offer him.

He is young and comes across as a smart lad. He may be happy to wait and see what transpires later this window or in the next two windows.

There is no way we are chasing him out the door., so all of this may come to nothing in the short term

They wouldn’t be bidding for him if he wasn’t willing to go. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Where have I said we won't miss him?,

I've said he's better defensively then attacking

All his stats back that up, for city and for England,

I haven’t said you said that? 

I just said i find it crazy that you think he is better defensively.

3 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

Nice description of a “selling club “

Oh I try so hard to criticise the post and not the poster, but you are an utter, utter plank. Bristol City should not a ‘selling club’ even though the likes of ooh, I don’t know, Manchester United recognise financial reality and sell CR7 in the appropriate circumstances

How many times have football fans discussed and recognised that all but a handful of clubs in the world (add the Saudi ones to that skinny number) who aren’t in that position, but in your myopic particularism you reckon that BCFC ought to included. For pity’s sake.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, bcdc said:

Oh I try so hard to criticise the post and not the poster, but you are an utter, utter plank. Bristol City should not a ‘selling club’ even though the likes of ooh, I don’t know, Manchester United recognise financial reality and sell CR7 in the appropriate circumstances

How many times have football fans discussed and recognised that all but a handful of clubs in the world (add the Saudi ones to that skinny number) who aren’t in that position, but in your myopic particularism you reckon that BCFC ought to included. For pity’s sake.

Even Man City are a selling club. Infact that's their strategy. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I visited Wolves Training Ground at Castlecroft in 1986 but they never offered me a contract. In fact they got security to throw me and the guys I was with ( on Cricket tour in the Black Country) out. 
I think John Barnwell was manager, the players were having shooting practice at a goal with no nets up. Some young fans were stood behind the goal with autograph books and almost got hit by some fiercely struck shots. Barnwell asked them to move away to which one of the wags in our party shouted “ stay behind the goal lads it’s the safest place to stand”. 
Steve Bull and Andy Mutch weren’t amused ! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Maybe you should take a look into the amount of players they sell and loan out?

I mean, come on. Cleary there's going to be player turnover. They seem to upgrade them, or aquire newer replacements when the old ones get worn out. I think that's to be expected.

11 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I mean, come on. Cleary there's going to be player turnover. They seem to upgrade them, or aquire newer replacements when the old ones get worn out. I think that's to be expected.

I mean they literally develop players knowing they'll never make the 1st team and then sell them on. That's literally their strategy. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nugget said:

Respect to all that have read every post on this thread, probably the equivalent amount of time I could have done something far more meaningful with my life but here we are, what an emotional rollercoaster ? 

Not true, you could summarise in short detail what's happening to someone 'out of the loop' as it were. 

• Sad 1

I wouldn't say Man City are a selling club as such but they certainly supplement their income or offset costs through major academy sales and are becoming quite impressive as far as trading of first teamers goes too.

Of course wider questions persist in respect of varied commercial deals and cost allocation..However success does breed money, money breeds success and so it goes.

Probably legitimate FFP questions until 2014, 2016 time but even if certain items overstated and understated, they probably still have enough of a gap to be within PL FFP and quite likely UEFA FFP although less clear cut post say 2016.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

10 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

This is where I personally feel you are massively wrong. A number of our fans may not see Bournemouth as a big club, but they are an established Premier League club and it will give Alex the chance to prove himself in the Premier League, as well as being a good stepping stone to a big club, if he is as good as many believe he is.

A career in football can last 17-20 years if you are lucky, and stay injury free, but for all there could be more attractive opportunities in 6/12 or 18 months time, you are one bad challenge, or one unbalanced moment from a career ending injury, and he has to think about his own future and what is best for him.

Now, clearly he would like to be part of the England under 21 set up soon. Despite being key for the under 20s, this opportunity has not yet arisen for him, and if you are a 25-30m player, then one could argue, if you are good enough you should be in that mix and even pushing for a full international call up. Now that's not to say playing for Bristol City prevents you from the step up, but you stand more of a chance, if you are performing week in, week out in the Premier League, than you do in league one. 

Whilst fans may not like it, it is a sensible move for Alex, and he stands to gain a lot more than he would lose. Also should he turn down a lower end Premier League club to stay with us, it may not paint him in a great light of implying he is better than Bournemouth, something which may put off other suitors in the future.

What an acceptable offer from Bournemouth would do is, make other interested parties put up or shut up, as they know it would be harder to prize him from Bournemouth than us, so we may find, just what serious interest in him there actually is. If he moves to Bournemouth and they were the only ones willing to pay 25m, then other clubs saw that as too much money right now, but it could see one or two clubs who've monitored him, be forced to play their hand. 

One way or another, I would suggest Alex Scott is sure to depart, and he will certainly be getting advised by his suitors not to turn down Bournemouth, and certainly not to stay with us, there is too much at stake for him. 

• Like 14

56 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

This is where I personally feel you are massively wrong. A number of our fans may not see Bournemouth as a big club, but they are an established Premier League club and it will give Alex the chance to prove himself in the Premier League, as well as being a good stepping stone to a big club, if he is as good as many believe he is.

A career in football can last 17-20 years if you are lucky, and stay injury free, but for all there could be more attractive opportunities in 6/12 or 18 months time, you are one bad challenge, or one unbalanced moment from a career ending injury, and he has to think about his own future and what is best for him.

Now, clearly he would like to be part of the England under 21 set up soon. Despite being key for the under 20s, this opportunity has not yet arisen for him, and if you are a 25-30m player, then one could argue, if you are good enough you should be in that mix and even pushing for a full international call up. Now that's not to say playing for Bristol City prevents you from the step up, but you stand more of a chance, if you are performing week in, week out in the Premier League, than you do in league one. 

Whilst fans may not like it, it is a sensible move for Alex, and he stands to gain a lot more than he would lose. Also should he turn down a lower end Premier League club to stay with us, it may not paint him in a great light of implying he is better than Bournemouth, something which may put off other suitors in the future.

What an acceptable offer from Bournemouth would do is, make other interested parties put up or shut up, as they know it would be harder to prize him from Bournemouth than us, so we may find, just what serious interest in him there actually is. If he moves to Bournemouth and they were the only ones willing to pay 25m, then other clubs saw that as too much money right now, but it could see one or two clubs who've monitored him, be forced to play their hand. 

One way or another, I would suggest Alex Scott is sure to depart, and he will certainly be getting advised by his suitors not to turn down Bournemouth, and certainly not to stay with us, there is too much at stake for him. 

Alex isn’t currently playing in league one; he probably is better than Bournemouth and why would he listen to any advice from his suitors? That’s like asking Red Riding Hood to listen to the Wolf.