IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

What concerns me is if he goes did I understand it correctly that we will not be using the money to replace him as we have already reached a wage ceiling. So lose your best player for a lot of money and spend none of it in bringing some sort of replacement and all this happening a few days before the start of the season. Perfect nightmare scenario. Have I got this right or have I had a bad dream trying to follow this saga.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

What concerns me is if he goes did I understand it correctly that we will not be using the money to replace him as we have already reached a wage ceiling. So lose your best player for a lot of money and spend none of it in bringing some sort of replacement and all this happening a few days before the start of the season. Perfect nightmare scenario. Have I got this right or have I had a bad dream trying to follow this saga.

No, you are not dreaming, this is what some on here appear to want.

15 hours ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Yes that perfectly describes a selling club.

Name one club worth their salt (minus Real Madrid) who aren’t a selling club?Even the likes of Man United will sell players if another club hits their valuation of a player. 

All clubs will sell when it suits their needs, a “selling club” is one whose whole financial plan is to produce young players and sell them for a profit. The latter is what, in my opinion, you described.
As a football fan I want to support a club who try and win something, rather than just concentrate on their balance sheet.

Just now, Redrascal2 said:

Don’t think it is 100% true but something like that. We’ll still look at players in every position if we can do something and it would be affordable to our structure if we wasn’t be sold. 

Basically, we still probably need a CB, we might want another GK depending how they feel about WR and Bajic. And we may look at a midfielder if he goes. We won’t rush into any of these it seems and doubt we’d spend a big fee on anyone. We also have the wage structure. So just because we have money from a Scott sale won’t mean we go daft with spending. 

Why in my opinion I think keep him. The 25m won’t actually mean too much for us imo. If he stayed another season and not promoted the 10-15m we would get next summer would still be a big boost to how city is run now. 

FWIW, not sure we need another player to replace him. We have players here that are fine and need minutes. 

It was just one game but being at Portsmouth we looked more an attacking threat with Weimann behind the striker. I think Scott is more of a deeper player that picks it up and drives from deep. I think his talent can swing games so worth keeping him but still think we’d be a good side without him. From the little I have seen of Benarous pre injury, I’d be excited to see him play the role of more advanced midfielder 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bcdc said:

Oh I try so hard to criticise the post and not the poster, but you are an utter, utter plank. Bristol City should not a ‘selling club’ even though the likes of ooh, I don’t know, Manchester United recognise financial reality and sell CR7 in the appropriate circumstances

How many times have football fans discussed and recognised that all but a handful of clubs in the world (add the Saudi ones to that skinny number) who aren’t in that position, but in your myopic particularism you reckon that BCFC ought to included. For pity’s sake.

As to the personal stuff, I’ll ignore that, it doesn’t bother me, and I know the schools go back in September.

Manchester United sell when it is in their interest, not as a matter of policy.

According to Mr Pop , this forums financial guru, we do not need to sell this summer, therefore retain Scott, try for promotion, and review In January or next summer when we will have a clearer idea as to our chances, or not, of going up. 
 Really is a straight forward proposal, which doesn’t need some of the rather ridiculous responses from those desperate to sell to the first suitor that comes along..

Looking forward to going to the Gate on Saturday, suggest some of you turn off your calculators and join me.

COYRs

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

As to the personal stuff, I’ll ignore that, it doesn’t bother me, and I know the schools go back in September.

According to Mr Pop , this forums financial guru, we do not need to sell this summer, therefore retain Scott, try for promotion, and review In January or next summer when we will have a clearer idea as to our chances, or not, of going up. 
 Really is a straight forward proposal, which doesn’t need some of the rather ridiculous responses from those desperate to sell to the first suitor that comes along..

Looking forward to going to the Gate on Saturday, suggest some of you turn off your calculators and join me.

COYRs

We're in a better position as a club if we have that money, bring in the last few players we need and then have a solid, balanced squad to take on the season. Means we can then spend money for the next few transfer windows too.

If we just sit on the money and go into the new season as we are then I agree.

39 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

All clubs will sell when it suits their needs, a “selling club” is one whose whole financial plan is to produce young players and sell them for a profit. The latter is what, in my opinion, you described.
As a football fan I want to support a club who try and win something, rather than just concentrate on their balance sheet.

I would love us to win something but equally, I want us to be run sustainably as well. 

Maybe it's because I have friends who watch Premier League football, they tell me being in the Premier League isn't always a great crack as a supporter and aside from the occasional trip abroad, it can be a ball ache having to take time off throughout the season for Sunday or Monday games. Yes it would be nice to get there but I wouldn't want to risk it all to get there.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

COYRs

I dont think the club could or should run the risk of anything happening to scott which could jeopardise that 25 million, who knows if we will ever get a fee like that again in the next 20 years!

i do agree though that without him, our midfield will be left undynamic and lacking in top quality ( I appreciate james role, and knight looks like a good box to box runner), which i mentioned on here a few weeks ago. There are a few who might take scotts place, probably weimann in the short term, but unless benarous comes back completely recovered and can take the role on or mehmeti takes over that role, i dont see anyone in the squad with the play maker quality we would need, and apparently new signings are unlikely to fit within our wage budget?

1 hour ago, Grey Fox said:

COYRs

Even if we don't "need" to sell, do we really want to be a club that denies promising young players the opportunity to move to a higher league?  Players have very short careers, and opportunities come and go.  For me the crucial question is what Alex wants, and if he wants to move to somewhere like Wolves or Bournemouth (which could be the stepping stone to a further move if things go well), and they offer a reasonable fee, then we absolutely shouldn't stand in his way

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

COYRs

I understand your argument and to a lesser extend I agree. However, it's not as simple as you make it out to be. No where in any of your replies have you mentioned what the player actually wants. It's easy to say he's under contract he'll have to knuckle down and get on with it.. That doesn't work with modern professionals who basically, hold all the cards. Once their head is turned it's nigh on impossible to get them back (although it can happen).
When Alex goes away on his England duties don't you think he talks to other players about their contracts, Financial and anything else? Once he realises he's getting a fraction of what they're on he knows he can do better.
Up until now he's been a model pro. But if I was a betting man (and I'm not) I would wager he's had a conversation with uncle Steve and stated his desire to play at the highest level and if they can do a deal which is right for the club, right for his development and career then can we do that please? I very much doubt he's said I'll forgo whatever earnings I could make elsewhere to stay and try and win promotion with City, unless no deal is done before the start of the season and come January we're fourth with 3 games in hand, then the dynamic changes.
I think the notion you have, whilst being morally right is somewhat romantic and just doesn't stack up in the real world. The realities of what we are as a club, our past mistakes and an uncertain future with Steve trying to punt us on means we won't always get what we want...

• Like 3

I’m torn between wanting this whole bloody thing to be over and done with, so I can get on with rest of my life. Whereas there’s part of me that wonders what on earth I’ll do without it. 

Half my split personality hopes this gets sorted out before the weekend, the other half wants him to score on Saturday afternoon meaning the price will definitely go up to a least 30 million Nige was talking and perhaps beyond, and the thought that all big clubs will be all over us with a rash is somewhat surreal, although we’ll all be justified in saying I told you so. 

After a lifetime of being used to football mediocrity, all this excitement in which a  transfer fee for one of our players is as big as a telephone number feels weird, and it’ll be sad to see him go. But like proud parents watching your kids head off into the world, I can’t wait to see him on the big stage and turning heads all over the world. 

I rarely watch The Premiership, but I do know that I’ll be watching out for him and I’ll probably be recording the highlights of Bournemouth v Luton or whoever, for the first time in life.

Would be fun to see him play just one more game for us on Saturday though  

Edited by Lord Northski
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

I dont think the club could or should run the risk of anything happening to scott which could jeopardise that 25 million, who knows if we will ever get a fee like that again in the next 20 years!

i do agree though that without him, our midfield will be left undynamic and lacking in top quality ( I appreciate james role, and knight looks like a good box to box runner), which i mentioned on here a few weeks ago. There are a few who might take scotts place, probably weimann in the short term, but unless benarous comes back completely recovered and can take the role on or mehmeti takes over that role, i dont see anyone in the squad with the play maker quality we would need, and apparently new signings are unlikely to fit within our wage budget?

If he's here he plays and Alex wouldn't want it any other way. He's all about playing football matches. Unless you're trying to protect aggravating an injury the player already has I don't hold with wrapping players up in cotton wool. It is possible a player gets injured playing but it's not a particularly high risk. He might just as easily get hurt in his flat as tge majority of accidents happen in the home. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

Just Nige playing things down, as he knows players and clubs will try to add Scott-Tax in any dealings.

Who knows, we could be in contract talks with our own players, new players and they are pushing for more. Nige doesn’t want to blurt out something on the wireless does he?

No, you are not dreaming, this is what some on here appear to want.

I don’t think anyone wants him to go. Posters are just playing out scenarios. 

COYRs

As others have posted, there’s a player in the middle of this too.  You keep suggesting it’s just City’s decision. It ain’t, regardless of “he’s under contract”.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

If he's here he plays and Alex wouldn't want it any other way. He's all about playing football matches. Unless you're trying to protect aggravating an injury the player already has I don't hold with wrapping players up in cotton wool. It is possible a player gets injured playing but it's not a particularly high risk. He might just as easily get hurt in his flat as tge majority of accidents happen in the home. 

Yep it’s clear so far, unless City get the offer, he plays. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Who knows, we could be in contract talks with our own players, new players and they are pushing for more. Nige doesn’t want to blurt out something on the wireless does he?

Yep, I'd have thought that should Scott go- I hope stays another year- then a chunk of that money will go towards improved and extended contract offers for Vyner, Pring, Bell, Conway.

As we know, 2024, 2024 with a year option in our favour, 2025 and 2025. Don't think Bell or Conway have any kind of option? Certainly none listed publicly that we know of. 

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Don’t think it is 100% true but something like that. We’ll still look at players in every position if we can do something and it would be affordable to our structure if we wasn’t be sold. 

Basically, we still probably need a CB, we might want another GK depending how they feel about WR and Bajic. And we may look at a midfielder if he goes. We won’t rush into any of these it seems and doubt we’d spend a big fee on anyone. We also have the wage structure. So just because we have money from a Scott sale won’t mean we go daft with spending. 

Why in my opinion I think keep him. The 25m won’t actually mean too much for us imo. If he stayed another season and not promoted the 10-15m we would get next summer would still be a big boost to how city is run now. 

FWIW, not sure we need another player to replace him. We have players here that are fine and need minutes. 

It was just one game but being at Portsmouth we looked more an attacking threat with Weimann behind the striker. I think Scott is more of a deeper player that picks it up and drives from deep. I think his talent can swing games so worth keeping him but still think we’d be a good side without him. From the little I have seen of Benarous pre injury, I’d be excited to see him play the role of more advanced midfielder 

You say that we probably still need a centre back, but do we?

We have Dickie, Vyner, Atkinson (hopefully coming back at Christmas) plus Roberts, McCrorie and Naismith who have all played there in the past. I think we have enough cover there.

• Like 1

As for the wage thing that NP alluded to this is my take fwiw.

*£39m FFP we don't need to sell. We should be a couple of million inside.

*Wage limits are the UEFA FFP that maybe coming in down the track domestically. This is what I think he is referring to.

Turnover- Player/football wages, amortisation and agents fees.

90%, 80% and 70%.

Settling on that final number. Otoh the instalments of sold players will count towards turnover which is fundamentally different to now at PL/Championship level. UEFA is harder to judge.

Is this broadly accurate @Davefevs  ? Haven't looked at this new system quite so much.

We are I believe, trying to get ahead of the game so we are compliant with both. Future-proofing. I question a lot of Championship clubs and their position under the new system.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yep, I'd have thought that should Scott go- I hope stays another year- then a chunk of that money will go towards improved and extended contract offers for Vyner, Pring, Bell, Conway.

As we know, 2024, 2024 with a year option in our favour, 2025 and 2025. Don't think Bell or Conway have any kind of option? Certainly none listed publicly that we know of. 

I’m actually thinking the opposite!

We will offer them what we thinking is a fair deal (wiggle room maybe), but we aren’t gonna say - here’s another £x k per week because we’ve sold Scott.

That would be madness. 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I’m actually thinking the opposite!

We will offer them what we thinking is a fair deal (wiggle room maybe), but we aren’t gonna say - here’s another £x k per week because we’ve sold Scott.

That would be madness. 

It's a tough balancing act for sure, any sale of Scott would undoubtedly give us flexibility..don't want to overpay of course.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

As for the wage thing that NP alluded to this is my take fwiw.

*£39m FFP we don't need to sell. We should be a couple of million inside.

*Wage limits are the UEFA FFP that maybe coming in down the track domestically. This is what I think he is referring to.

Turnover- Player/football wages, amortisation and agents fees.

90%, 80% and 70%.

Settling on that final number. Otoh the instalments of sold players will count towards turnover which is fundamentally different to now at PL/Championship level. UEFA is harder to judge.

Is this broadly accurate @Davefevs  ? Haven't looked at this new system quite so much.

We are I believe, trying to get ahead of the game so we are compliant with both. Future-proofing. I question a lot of Championship clubs and their position under the new system.

I think it is SL’s budget, not FFP related.  One that they’ve all bought into.

3 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

Bring back Ashton and LJ, I mean let's not worry about that balance sheet, what could go wrong.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Philly The Kid said:

I understand your argument and to a lesser extend I agree. However, it's not as simple as you make it out to be. No where in any of your replies have you mentioned what the player actually wants. It's easy to say he's under contract he'll have to knuckle down and get on with it.. That doesn't work with modern professionals who basically, hold all the cards. Once their head is turned it's nigh on impossible to get them back (although it can happen).
When Alex goes away on his England duties don't you think he talks to other players about their contracts, Financial and anything else? Once he realises he's getting a fraction of what they're on he knows he can do better.
Up until now he's been a model pro. But if I was a betting man (and I'm not) I would wager he's had a conversation with uncle Steve and stated his desire to play at the highest level and if they can do a deal which is right for the club, right for his development and career then can we do that please? I very much doubt he's said I'll forgo whatever earnings I could make elsewhere to stay and try and win promotion with City, unless no deal is done before the start of the season and come January we're fourth with 3 games in hand, then the dynamic changes.
I think the notion you have, whilst being morally right is somewhat romantic and just doesn't stack up in the real world. The realities of what we are as a club, our past mistakes and an uncertain future with Steve trying to punt us on means we won't always get what we want...

From what I have seen/ heard, and I am not in the know, Alex has not demanded a move, so with respect your argument is conjecture. Alex could equally be happy to spend a further season with us , and then review his options with our blessings should he wish to move on aka Harry Kane.

Who knows, but we should, imo, at least try

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just Nige playing things down, as he knows players and clubs will try to add Scott-Tax in any dealings.

I don’t think anyone wants him to go. Posters are just playing out scenarios. 

As others have posted, there’s a player in the middle of this too.  You keep suggesting it’s just City’s decision. It ain’t, regardless of “he’s under contract”.

Obviously, but as far as I’m aware he has not demanded a move, why therefore assume this is the case ?

47 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Bring back Ashton and LJ, I mean let's not worry about that balance sheet, what could go wrong.

There is a balance (as opposed to Balance sheet) tbh. Reckon we are a couple to few million within the 3 year loss limit to this upcoming season and remember next year we will a) Have the £28.5m loss drop off to be replaced by last seasons much lower starting point and b) I believe TV money in the Championship is set to rise by several million do thst is a positive swing in our favour that we can utilise so long as we are careful and walk the line.

On the flipside if we don't, loopholes have been slowly but surely closed so if we got into a huge hole that required say a stadium sale we would be stuffed.

3 hours ago, Betty Swallocks said:

I would love us to win something but equally, I want us to be run sustainably as well. 

Maybe it's because I have friends who watch Premier League football, they tell me being in the Premier League isn't always a great crack as a supporter and aside from the occasional trip abroad, it can be a ball ache having to take time off throughout the season for Sunday or Monday games. Yes it would be nice to get there but I wouldn't want to risk it all to get there.  

I get the impression that for many fans of promoted clubs,  the getting to the Premier League journey is far more enjoyable than actually being there!

• Like 18

22 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There is a balance (as opposed TO Balance sheet) tbh. Reckon we are a couple to few million within the 3 ywar loss limit to this upcoming season and remember next year we will a) Have the £28.5m loss drop off to be replaced by last seasons much lower starting point and b) I believe TV money in the Championship is set to rise by several million do thst is a positive swing in our favour that we can utilise so long as we are careful and walk the line.

On the flipside if we don't, loopholes have been slowly but surely closed so if we got into a huge hole that required say a stadium sale we would be stuffed.

I am not disputing for one moment that money wouldn't or couldn't be available without affecting FFP etc. What worries me is we still have posters/fans who think we should never sell anyone like Webster, Kelly, Brownhill, Reid, Bryan, Semenyo etc etc and we are not ambitious enough as we are a selling club. Where do these people think we would be without selling them.

I still hear from some people (not on here) that Lansdown don't spend enough, isn't ambitious enough, what players we should just go out and just buy, what players we should never sell, these same people will still moan that NP over the first couple of years never did enough without even realising the situation he/we were in.

• Like 4