IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

5 minutes ago, lenred said:

I’d have to disagree.   Him going to a lower level club provides more scope for a bigger move in the future - as long as his trajectory continues of course.  Who he goes to is neither here nor there to us financially.  It’s about what we can get in the future.   City Vs Bournemouth in terms of ambition and progress and club size is a a completely different argument - or should be imho. 

I agree with you - there is a pecking order and B'mouth are way ahead of us at the moment. I was just suggesting how the critics may be thinking...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

No one will think that.

It's a fact that all transfer fees are submitted by fax and all payments made by cheque..... When did a disgruntled group of supporters ever demand that the Chairman get a standing order in place, or make a BACS transfer? 

So it'll take at least 3 working days to clear, and that's if they send the cheque first class! ?

Just get it “specially presented”!!!

(on an aside I told the story on here a while back about how my dad did that with one of Robert Maxwell’s company cheques - bank gave a “paid” answer, Maxwell’s Production Manager tried to put a stop on it after the decision had been give.  Toughski shitski Maxwell!)

2 minutes ago, Ian M said:

I’ve heard over the Summer that City had a red line that the first instalment had to be £10m. It wouldn’t then surprise me if the remaining £10m was split into £5m payments in 24 and 25 which would match a FFP reporting period, just for convenience, not to satisfy any criteria.

Heard similar.  None of this “5 equal payments” of £4-5m shit!!

The money from Scott will never guarantee that we don’t have to sell other players. Every player goes at the right price. What it does mean is the financial pressures (that often force sales) will not pressure us in the coming seasons. As I recall Brentford had a few big money exits as they built towards promotion. Other good young talent will undoubtedly move on in order to possibly achieve that. It’s not a fast build but if we stick to our new model then it will be much more likely.

Selling a player that cost nothing for up to £25 million is great business. At last the Lansdowns seem to be putting the football side of the business on a sound footing with the appointments of Pearson, Tinnion and Alexander. Whatever the criticism’s over the years (many well justified) then they should at least be applauded for the way the whole club, stadium and structure are now becoming Premier League ready or maybe to the more cynical then attractive to potential buyers. Either way we are on the up.

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

If you don’t have a goal how do you know when you’ve achieved it? 
Our goal must be to advance the club and that means promotion to the Prem. SL wants this but not at the risk of seeing the club go bust or to go backwards like a Portsmouth, Swindon etc. We all remember the Ashton Gate 8.  I am not sure that his ‘ safety first’ tactics are enough to rise above all the hard nosed crooks who flout the rules but there are worse things than being a mid table established Championship club who occasionally flirts with the play offs or enjoys a cup run.

The fact is we don’t all remember the AG 8. Over 55s do, but to the majority it’s anecdotal supported by some pictures and the occasional ritual wheeling out of David Rogers etc. 

I am as disappointed as the next girl when we don’t do well, but as you know the last side that achieved promotion to the big league was built over a quite considerable period. 

For me the comparisons are clear. I personally think if Cotterill and SL hadn’t have fallen out we would be much further along. But that’s history now. 

We had to sell Garland, Galley, Spiring among others to progress the greater good, so here we go again. 

Im personally confident we will be competitive this season. We have goals in us that’s for sure. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, johnbytheriver said:

Can someone explain.What are add-ons?

They can vary but I take it to mean, that if a certain target hit the clause is triggered.

By way of example, principle right even if numbers are sketchy:

10 Appearances- £250k

20 Appearances- £500k

5 goals- £200k

Others can pull my numbers apart but that's my understanding of the basic principle.

Not guaranteed but conditional on said objectives or criteria being hit.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

The fact is we don’t all remember the AG 8. Over 55s do, but to the majority it’s anecdotal supported by some pictures and the occasional ritual wheeling out of David Rogers etc. 

I am as disappointed as the next girl when we don’t do well, but as you know the last side that achieved promotion to the big league was built over a quite considerable period. 

For me the comparisons are clear. I personally think if Cotterill and SL hadn’t have fallen out we would be much further along. But that’s history now. 

We had to sell Garland, Galley, Spiring among others to progress the greater good, so here we go again. 

Im personally confident we will be competitive this season. We have goals in us that’s for sure. 

Well we have goals against teams from lower leagues. Let's hope we can do the same against teams in our own league.

2 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Well we have goals against teams from lower leagues. Let's hope we can do the same against teams in our own league.

I certainly think we have goals in us, the question is do we have the control and craft in midfield to give us a platform to create said goals. Naismith return should help, midfield on Saturday without both Naismith and Scott looked a bit flawed.

I expect Sykes can chip in a few too e.g. showed some signs e.g. times last season even if his season was a bit stop-start at times due to two unlucky bans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

If you don’t have a goal how do you know when you’ve achieved it? 
Our goal must be to advance the club and that means promotion to the Prem. SL wants this but not at the risk of seeing the club go bust or to go backwards like a Portsmouth, Swindon etc. We all remember the Ashton Gate 8.  I am not sure that his ‘ safety first’ tactics are enough to rise above all the hard nosed crooks who flout the rules but there are worse things than being a mid table established Championship club who occasionally flirts with the play offs or enjoys a cup run.

I guess your reply to my post sums up what I'm talking about.

I said that we need to forget about the 'promised land' idea. The reason being because SL may want it, but he can't have it because of the financial restraints of one thing and another. He won't take the risk and I don't blame him for that.

The goal maybe to get promoted to the Prem but its unlikely to be achieved. We may get a bit lucky where everything goes right for a season i.e. Luton. The chances though are at best slim.

We are where we are. To me that looks like what you said in your last sentence. As for me, I'm resigned to that outcome and will just make the best of it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, James54De said:

From and FFP point of view, we will.

37 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

To be fair (whilst I appreciate it’s unlikely) some have speculated that it’s 20m up front. That would mean straight in the bank if true, wouldn’t it?

Theoretically yes, but v v few deals are all the money ‘sent’ in one go, or even two goes. Would he a guaranteed ‘up front’ amount but still ‘sent’ in instalments 

51 minutes ago, Kirsikka said:

Well, seems that's that. I didn't think we'd get him from the start as I didn't see us putting down £25m guaranteed, which seemed to be the declared figure, but the price moved down in the end.

Fingers crossed for us both he's as good as you all say in which case he'll be a joy to watch for us but his stint at AFCB will likely be short and we'll both have a big cash boost in a year or two. Also, Callum Wilson and Lewis Cook both made the England team whilst playing in the PL for us. Mings might have as well, if injury hadn't intervened, and then, upon his return, the problem of him not being as good as Ake. So don't discount seeing him play for England as a possibility if he really does step up.

I've spent most of my life watching every player with even minor potential swiped from my club way too early, usually for an absolute pittance. Once upon a time, it was a certain Brett Pitman (what on earth happened there? He was 100% a Championship lever striker at the time). So there's no glorying in your misery from me, I've been there and feel your pain. If nothing else, at least this is good money and will hopefully help you strengthen for the season ahead. And yet, I'm sure most of you will still want to tell me where to go. Can't really argue with that.

At least he's coming to a place where there is a big gap in the midfield resources so he should play a lot. Plus, the manager has said his style will mean he needs to make a lot of subs so, one way or another, he'll likely see a lot of action this season.

Good luck for the season. It's about time your part of the world had a PL team and, if you going up means Southampton stay down, I'm all for it.

Take heart from the fact that in 184 pages there isn't a single post questioning whether he's good enough!

1 hour ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

wonder when the first signing will be once its confirmed he’s gone

Steve L is signing for a new private jet, a new Roller and  shoes and handbag for Maggie! :shocking:

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I certainly think we have goals in us, the question is do we have the control and craft in midfield to give us a platform to create said goals. Naismith return should help, midfield on Saturday without both Naismith and Scott looked a bit flawed.

I expect Sykes can chip in a few too e.g. showed some signs e.g. times last season even if his season was a bit stop-start at times due to two unlucky bans.

2 shots on target on Saturday might suggest otherwise Mr P and generally in competitive games our shots ratios have been pretty poor for some time.  We may be able to put them away in friendlies against lower league opposition but that changes when the important games come around.

I've also noticed that most of our shots look quite tame.  Either our players generally don't have powerful shots or they chose not to let ripwhen they could do so.

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm more worried about keeping them out, we were over run in midfield and down rhe flanks against Preston, if Scott played we'd still og been over ran 

8 minutes ago, supercidered said:

I guess your reply to my post sums up what I'm talking about.

I said that we need to forget about the 'promised land' idea. The reason being because SL may want it, but he can't have it because of the financial restraints of one thing and another. He won't take the risk and I don't blame him for that.

The goal maybe to get promoted to the Prem but its unlikely to be achieved. We may get a bit lucky where everything goes right for a season i.e. Luton. The chances though are at best slim.

We are where we are. To me that looks like what you said in your last sentence. As for me, I'm resigned to that outcome and will just make the best of it.

I think he did take the risk. He backed his boy LJ and Ashton with gob loads of money and they flushed it down the shitter. SL carry’s the can for that debacle. 

So now he has really turned his mind to finding a team through the academy. An option that has less effect on FFP and has wider benefits for the community. 

Pearson was constrained by spending but is building a team and allowing our kids to come through. We played a 17 year old last night just another off a production line of talent. 

I am optimistic We are going to be competitive in the top 10 this season !

• Like 1

Just now, Monkeh said:

I'm more worried about keeping them out, we were over run in midfield and down rhe flanks against Preston, if Scott played we'd still og been over ran 

Not so sure because Scott would have moved the ball better, moved with the ball better and won fouls at key times in both halves of the pitch which relieves some pressure on the defence.

Naismith is also IMO our best midfield passer now Scott has gone. Again this can change a tactical dynamic.

Part of our faltering midfield was also down to Preston and their tactics. Their slightly unusual 3-5-1-1 with the Danish midfielder behind Keane gave us a slightly unusual problem.

Us hitting it longer played into their hands somewhat too. Something that may have been reduced had Naismith and Scott been available.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not so sure because Scott would have moved the ball better, moved with the ball better and won fouls at key times in both halves of the pitch which relieves some pressure on the defence.

Naismith is also IMO our best midfield passer now Scott has gone. Again this can change a tactical dynamic.

Part of our faltering midfield was also down to Preston and their tactics. Their slightly unusual 3-5-1-1 with the Danish midfielder behind Keane gave us a slightly unusual problem.

Us hitting it longer played into their hands somewhat too. Something that may have been reduced had Naismith and Scott been available.

They were better at the press then us, didn't give us room and quick to win the ball back, I dont think Scott would of changed that,

If Preston had a striker we'd of lost 

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

They were better at the press then us, didn't give us room and quick to win the ball back, I dont think Scott would of changed that,

If Preston had a striker we'd of lost 

I believe their pressing game and the effectiveness would have been impacted had we had Naismith and Scott available. Likewise Scott being the most fouled player in the League last season.

Again 4 v 3...he sat behind the striker and supported at times, dropped at others.

Our midfield was a bit samey with who we had available. We gave away several chances on the break after being ahead- in part down to Preston, in part down to us and who we had available IMO.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

I believe their pressing game and the effectiveness would have been impacted had we had Naismith and Scott available. Likewise Scott being the most fouled player in the League last season.

Again 4 v 3...he sat behind the striker and supported at times, dropped at others.

Our midfield was a bit samey with who we had available. We gave away several chances on the break after being ahead- in part down to Preston, in part down to us and who we had available IMO.

I was more annoyed at the repeated atempt to play down the flanks, that just want working, I dont think we will see pring start on Saturday,

We've got a number of players returning ing from Injury soon so it's not all doom and gloom,

We aren't going to replace Scott, you can't replace that kind of talent