IGNORED

Controversial free kick...

spudski

Just now, Midlands Robin said:

Similar thing happened to us against Stoke in the Auto Windscreens final in 2000.

Our defence were still complaining to the Ref about the foul when Mercer was picking the ball out of the back of the net. 

Louis Carey was still arguing with the ref when they took it quickly.

In that game and the Notts game, no defender stood over the ball to stop it happening, just talking to the ref or ambling about.

• Like 4

I think  a perfect rule change would be to allow the team with the advantage to be allowed to take the free kick as soon as they like. No need for the other team to be ready (even though they should be) or fussy refereeing waiting til everyone is ready so that he can blow his whistle. It's a free kick stop the ball where the offence occurred and carry on. If you take it before a defender has retreated 10 yards and it hits him tough.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Midlands Robin said:

Similar thing happened to us against Stoke in the Auto Windscreens final in 2000.

Our defence were still complaining to the Ref about the foul when Mercer was picking the ball out of the back of the net. 

I was always curious if the ball was still rolling as he took the kick?

He rolls the ball away and the next thing he has passed it - never convinced it would have stopped rolling

• Like 1

There was a time where you could ask the Ref if you could take it, the Ref would stand to the side & not bother to get the opposition back 10 yards . I thought they changed it, but as long as the ball isn't moving and it does a full rotation the balls in play. It's one reason players stand in front of the ball 

45 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I think  a perfect rule change would be to allow the team with the advantage to be allowed to take the free kick as soon as they like. No need for the other team to be ready (even though they should be) or fussy refereeing waiting til everyone is ready so that he can blow his whistle. It's a free kick stop the ball where the offence occurred and carry on. If you take it before a defender has retreated 10 yards and it hits him tough.

Absolutely this. I hate that they took away yellow cards for players blocking free kicks. Slows the game down and rewards fouling. Fast and more creative game is in everyone's interests, unless you're called Big Sam.

When I was a youngster our coach taught us to run harder when the ball was out of play or for a free kick. Get it back in play as quickly as you can as lots of players switch off. 

• Like 4

I can’t see anything in the rules about having to wait to take a free kick. Is there anything? Is it all at the ref’s discretion?

I agree with others that it doesn’t seem fair that the offending team can gain a second advantage by stopping any momentum the attacking team has.

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Problem is that we are all taught to play to the whistle. If the ref blows to stop the game, surely he has to blow again to restart it. Imagine the same thing happening with a penalty.

Edited by CrackingCheeseGromit

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Anything to stop the constant kicking the ball away and standing too close to the taker would help entertainment.

2 hours ago, Leveller said:

I can’t see anything in the rules about having to wait to take a free kick. Is there anything? Is it all at the ref’s discretion?

I agree with others that it doesn’t seem fair that the offending team can gain a second advantage by stopping any momentum the attacking team has.

I think you are correct. I worded it rule change as couldn't think of an alternative phrase. 95% of the time referees stop quick free kicks or pull them back as nobody was ready. There should be a directive that free kicks can be taken as soon as the team fouled wish.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Geoff said:

I think you are correct. I worded it rule change as couldn't think of an alternative phrase. 95% of the time referees stop quick free kicks or pull them back as nobody was ready. There should be a directive that free kicks can be taken as soon as the team fouled wish.

I agree, although sometimes refs have to stop quick kicks as takers often kick the ball from where it was when the ref blew the whistle, rather than where it was when the foul occured. 

18 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I agree, although sometimes refs have to stop quick kicks as takers often kick the ball from where it was when the ref blew the whistle, rather than where it was when the foul occured. 

Perhaps the ref could move the kick 10 yards forward if the offending team insist on standing over the ball.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

No rule change needed, a team can take the free kick as quick as they like. It’s the opposition players standing on the ball, a yellow card to be handed out, or an injured player that stops 90% of free kicks being taken quickly. 

5 hours ago, Midred said:

Perhaps the ref could move the kick 10 yards forward if the offending team insist on standing over the ball.

That’s not in the laws of the game though!. 

7 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Anything to stop the constant kicking the ball away and standing too close to the taker would help entertainment.

Best have a word with every manager in the country then, because his instructions will be to do exactly what you stated. 

5 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

They can!. 

7 hours ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

Problem is that we are all taught to play to the whistle. If the ref blows to stop the game, surely he has to blow again to restart it. Imagine the same thing happening with a penalty.

A referee only ‘has’ to blow his whistle for two restarts, a kick off, and a penalty. 

It's the lack of consistency that's unfair here. 99 times out of 100, you're waiting for them all to form a wall and no one is allowed to take it until the ref blows his whistle. If they try to take it early, the ref stops it. In this instance, for some inexplicable reason, the ref has seemingly allowed it.

I'm all for allowing them to be taken quickly, but they have to be consistent with it. Not just change the rules whenever they fancy. I think the defending team can feel hard done by there.

Edited by nebristolred
  • Like 1

Saw a very odd one a couple of weeks ago at Yate Town vs North Leigh. 
Free kick given to North Leigh about 25 yards out, slightly to the right side of the box. 
Yate players are organising a wall and the keeper is over by his post. The North Leigh player takes a quick one and simply bends it directly into the empty goal whilst the keeper is faffing around. 
I was very surprised at the time that it stood. 

This one has always confused me…

If it’s in the halfway line you can take it as quickly as you like, no need to wait for the refs whistle. Why is it so different when it’s outside the box?  You can’t have different rules based on where on the pitch the free kick is, that’s ridiculous.  It should be down to the defending team to stay switched on, simple as.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

No rule change needed, a team can take the free kick as quick as they like. It’s the opposition players standing on the ball, a yellow card to be handed out, or an injured player that stops 90% of free kicks being taken quickly. 

Perhaps it ought to be to prevent the advantage of a free kick being lost.

53 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

This one has always confused me…

If it’s in the halfway line you can take it as quickly as you like, no need to wait for the refs whistle. Why is it so different when it’s outside the box?  You can’t have different rules based on where on the pitch the free kick is, that’s ridiculous.  It should be down to the defending team to stay switched on, simple as.

There are no different rules. As long as the free kick is taken from the right place it’s fine. Why do you think opposition players stand over the ball, they know it can be taking quickly, 

8 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

There's probably not a law that says the ref should be consistent in his administration of the laws!

Always loved Korey making the most of this, whenever I player would stand in front the ball, he’d just kick in in to them even if a ball wasn’t on, and then start going mad at the red, often getting a yellow for their player. Don’t know why we don’t do it more.

Edited by Marcus Aurelius

14 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

You will find that there is communication between the referee and the players. 99% of the time the team with the free kick will ask for “ten yards”. The defending goalkeeper will also ask for the whistle. 

4 minutes ago, Midred said:

There's probably not a law that says the ref should be consistent in his administration of the laws!

When the team that wins the free kick asks the referee to get the opposition players back 10 yards, he will. When a team wins a free kick and wants to ‘play’, they can, as long as the ball is in the position where  the foul/ handball was committed. 
Take in to consideration, an injured player on the floor, a yellow card for the offence, the opposition players standing over the ball. 
You will find it’s not a simple consistency matter, as every stoppage is different. The only way you will find out, is to referee a game yourself.