IGNORED

Bemmy pubs

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I love the Sirens Calling, great cider and ales at good prices in what should be a tourist spot, quite how the Ship, The Plough or even the Phoenix Bar keep going I am not sure. 

Sirens calling not for me but if it’s your thing then fair shout. Ship not sure never go there. Plough is busy most of the time so not sure why you’re suprised like wise the phoenix although I refuse to go there. Think old mill will be next to go if any. Always looks dead in there ! 

20 minutes ago, Posset red said:

Sirens calling not for me but if it’s your thing then fair shout. Ship not sure never go there. Plough is busy most of the time so not sure why you’re suprised like wise the phoenix although I refuse to go there. Think old mill will be next to go if any. Always looks dead in there ! 

I am always amazed that nobody seems to be able to make a go of the Old Mill, lots of rooms, a nice but if outside space and a massive car park. The Plough is a weird old place, it's had two refurbs in the 11 years we have been here, at least this time I can see where some of the money has been spent. 

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

I am always amazed that nobody seems to be able to make a go of the Old Mill, lots of rooms, a nice but if outside space and a massive car park. The Plough is a weird old place, it's had two refurbs in the 11 years we have been here, at least this time I can see where some of the money has been spent. 

I think the old mill is just a bad location if I’m honest a lot of people have failed with that pub so that tells you something. The latest refurb is nice it’s opened the pub up a lot and the outside area at the back is nice. The cheapest pub in Portishead with sports what’s not to like ??. Plough is my go to pub followed by the poacher for late night drink. 

4 hours ago, Posset red said:

Was in the duke last Friday shutting in November. Also heard kings head is shutting too. Luckily living in Portishead we still have plenty of choice 

Yes, thank god Portishead is only 10 mins from me, I find I'm spending more and more time there, thank god we still have a Chinese, Indian and a kebab and pizza place in Pill. though I imagine with less pub trade later in the evenings that will probably change.

• Admin
9 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Really? I rarely went in the Black Cat but have been in the London Inn and Tap and Barrel countless times with various different mates and never once heard anyone describe them as being tense or made to feel unwelcome. Brilliant pubs.

Totally agree 

Myself and a few mates always went in The Albert and Black Cat before a game and were always made welcome not only by the staff but other drinkers too

12 hours ago, redkev said:

Not from Knowle west but remember playing football that side of town one Sunday morning in the 90s , so a few of us popped into The inns of court on the way back to our neck of the woods one Sunday lunch time ,

after the initial you could here a pin drop when we walked in ( luckily about 4 out of the 5 of us were city fans so even though we weren’t regulars our faces were known by a few . 
I have never seen so much poultry in one place in all my life , it was like an abbaitoir, there must of been about 10 raffles .

remember 1 bloke after winning letting off a massive cheer and shouting yes the kids can eat he collected his prize poultry finished his pint and gleefully exited the premises , proper south Bristol I thought ?

I saw the Inns being built.....and demolished. 

Not on the same day though, that came a few years later.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, petehinton said:

Mate of mine went in tap and barrel just after lockdown I think, card machine had broken or something so was cash only. Had no cash on him and only said to him after they pulled his pint. Refused to let him leave to go and get cash, had to phone a mate to go down and bring him £3.50!!

14 hours ago, Club and Country said:

proper boozers 

Ive had a much more embarrassing, thing happen to me in a pub with a machine, I put the coins in the machine in the toilets, nothing came out, I discretely beckoned the barman over and explained my situation, in a really loud voice, so the twenty or so people and my date could hear he shouted the bloke who fills up the condom machine comes on a Wednesday, thanks a lot cupid I thought 

39 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Ive had a much more embarrassing, thing happen to me in a pub with a machine, I put the coins in the machine in the toilets, nothing came out, I discretely beckoned the barman over and explained my situation, in a really loud voice, so the twenty or so people and my date could hear he shouted the bloke who fills up the condom machine comes on a Wednesday, thanks a lot cupid I thought 

If they'd had them (machines) then, when our dads' were young men,

Most of wouldn't be on Otib tonight ....

2 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

If they'd had them (machines) then, when our dads' were young men,

Most of wouldn't be on Otib tonight ....

CONFORMS TO BRITISH STANDARDS they always had printed on them.

"So did the Titanic" was always scratched underneath. 

18 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I was told the same person owns them all. Must be a massive strain, with energy bills through the roof and selling beer at £3:25 a pint. We have used the Albert over the last year or so and Popped in the Black Cat a few times. I did try the London Inn Last home game but they were closed, but it was early kick off.

I know that person. 
She’s been around the pub scene for many years. 
I’m not surprised about those pubs struggling given the cost crisis, but I am surprised they are all going at once. 

14 hours ago, petehinton said:

Mate of mine went in tap and barrel just after lockdown I think, card machine had broken or something so was cash only. Had no cash on him and only said to him after they pulled his pint. Refused to let him leave to go and get cash, had to phone a mate to go down and bring him £3.50!!

Last time I went in the Tap and Barrel I ended up in a ‘scuffle’. 
The brother-in-law is a regular around those pubs and he’d obviously upset somebody because a bloke deliberately barged him whilst he was singing Karaoke. 
I jumped up and separated them, then we left. It was a very tense atmosphere. 

Back in the day (mid 80s) though it was one of my regular haunts - as was the Black Cat. 
Does anyone remember when Gerry ran the Black Cat? I’m going back to 1985. I think he took it on just after it reopened. His mate Steve ran the Yew Tree in Bishopsworth for a while too. Nice guys but didn’t stay in the trade for long. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Am I right in thinking the bloke who ran the white horse on West Street, for year's had a family member played for city, the surname was Williams,

Thought it was run by Alan Williams, he played for City himself as did his son Gary, who was part of the squad under TC post ‘82.

Might have this wrong but thought he also had The Pineapple (long gone) behind the Council House.

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Thought it was run by Alan Williams, he played for City himself as did his son Gary, who was part of the squad under TC post ‘82.

Might have this wrong but thought he also had The Pineapple (long gone) behind the Council House.

They definitely had the Horse and Groom…and if you frequented that on a lunchtime during the late 90s there’s a strong chance our paths crossed.  There were quite a few “Council boys” who went in there.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They definitely had the Horse and Groom…and if you frequented that on a lunchtime during the late 90s there’s a strong chance our paths crossed.  There were quite a few “Council boys” who went in there.

I knew Bob Stevens who used to run the Horse and Groom. 
He took over the Winford Arms back in the day. 

this thread is sending me on a virtual pub crawl of my old haunts when I lived in Bristol…!!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

Knowle West lost all their pubs years ago. That killed off plenty of community spirit…

We now have to pay full price for our meat and cheese ?

Fire drill in Broadwalk as well, shops running for the hills over the last week or so. 

Real shame.
Pubs are closing all over Bristol (and the UK). How can you pay the licence, bills etc selling cheap cider/beer?Just doesn’t add up when you try to compete against Weatherspoons (who are also closing a fair few pubs across the UK). Hope the Masonic survives.

The cost of living crisis is slowly killing this country, although it’s been dieing for years.

RIP the British pub.

Edited by fisherrich
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Real shame.
Pubs are closing all over Bristol (and the UK). How can you pay the licence, bills etc selling cheap cider/beer?Just doesn’t add up when you try to compete against Weatherspoons (who are also closing a fair few pubs across the UK). Hope the Masonic survives.

The cost of living crisis is slowly killing this country, although it’s been dieing for years.

RIP the British pub.

The Masonic is part of the Wickwar pub chain, no idea how they're doing financially, but I understand the long-awaited refurb of the Cat and Wheel (my old regular) has been pushed back again, and that the Gloucester Road Ale House is up for sale. 

They have some good pubs in their portfolio, so the chances are those ^ two things aren't related to the performance of the group as a whole, but it seems like all pubs are under the cosh at the moment. 

Back in the late 30s, 'Dig for Victory' was the campaign, to ensure that there was enough for all. Well we need a 'drink for victory' campaign now, to ensure that pubs survive!  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I love the Sirens Calling, great cider and ales at good prices in what should be a tourist spot, quite how the Ship, The Plough or even the Phoenix Bar keep going I am not sure. 

The phoenix has a huge loyal following of regulars, it's also very reasonably priced. I would say it's the most local of locals in posset. The rugby club going in there most Saturday nights probably help swell the coffers as well!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Must have been confusing the Horse & Groom & The Pineapple..

Something you never did if you were in the sixth form at BCS in the early 80s, because as I recall it one was for the teachers, the other for sixth formers..

I only joined BCC in 2016, think both pubs had closed down well before then & lunchtime drinking in work had ended as a culture many years before that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Last time I went in the Tap and Barrel I ended up in a ‘scuffle’. 
The brother-in-law is a regular around those pubs and he’d obviously upset somebody because a bloke deliberately barged him whilst he was singing Karaoke. 
I jumped up and separated them, then we left. It was a very tense atmosphere. 

Back in the day (mid 80s) though it was one of my regular haunts - as was the Black Cat. 
Does anyone remember when Gerry ran the Black Cat? I’m going back to 1985. I think he took it on just after it reopened. His mate Steve ran the Yew Tree in Bishopsworth for a while too. Nice guys but didn’t stay in the trade for long. 

Can remember when the Black Cat was the Sportsmans Arms and the govenor was Bill "Knocker" Dix back in the 1960s. Roy Savage ran the Princess of Wales up on the top corner of Westbourne Grove. One for the oldies.

7 hours ago, weepywall said:

I call in the Barley Mow occasionally as they do Cheddar Valley for £2.60 a pint looking around the place most are drinking the £2.60 pints, Lord knows how that place manages to stay open charging those prices.

I like the Barley Mow and the Little Grosvenor around the corner was an old haunt of mine. Is the Apple Tree still going? 

7 hours ago, TomF said:

Unfortunately if you plot all those pubs on a map you'll roughly find they are all within walking distance of the wetherspoons. 

I think we should boycott all the Westerspoons after what that *unt Martin did in sacking all his staff during the lockdown

Edited by southvillekiddy
  • Like 1

Just now, southvillekiddy said:

I think we should boycott all the Westerspoons after what that *unt did in sacking all his staff during the lockdown

I have done since well before Covid, a 6 letter word starting Br and ending exit drive my decision to not ever go into a “Spoons” again.

Even when meeting up with mates, they’ll often suggest Commercial Rooms, and I say I’ll join them when they’ve moved on to the next pub.

• Like 10