IGNORED

Vyner - year extension option activated

From the Post... (and I don't think this has been previously confirmed) 

Vyner also touched upon his immediate future with discussions ongoing over extending his contract. His current deal was expiring at the end of his campaign, but he confirmed a one-year option has been triggered, declaring the academy product will stay in BS3 for another year.

He added: "My option has been triggered so I will be here next year. I'm excited about that so we'll see what happens."

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-defender-consistency-contracts-8335208

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This suggests something I would never have predicted last summer, that we have done so to stop him going elsewhere.

Would hope this has been altered to a new three year contract before next season starts, he’s become a very important player for us.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

This suggests something I would never have predicted last summer, that we have done so to stop him going elsewhere.

Would hope this has been altered to a new three year contract before next season starts, he’s become a very important player for us.

Yep, but quite telling that he still hasn't signed a new deal too.

I heard in January that our new contract offer to him was derisory. 

I assume that given his form since then, and across the season overall, we're going to be revisiting that with a much improved offer.

• Thanks 5

59 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

"My option has been triggered so I will be here next year. I'm excited about that so we'll see what happens."

Doesn't sound like much enthusiasm for his current deal/offer but as long as he keeps up his levels and maybe improves a bit am sure he'll get a better deal. "We'll see what happens" sounds like he's open to staying longer for the right deal.

• Like 1

Nige said something a while back about how the players whose contracts were expiring would be offered much lower terms than their current deals. Obviously that was mainly about the likes of Kalas, JD etc, but I did wonder what it meant for Zak, who won't be on anything like the sort of money they're on.

He deserves a new deal, been much improved this season and has been consistently fit and available which sets him apart from the other CBs.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

From the Post... (and I don't think this has been previously confirmed) 

Vyner also touched upon his immediate future with discussions ongoing over extending his contract. His current deal was expiring at the end of his campaign, but he confirmed a one-year option has been triggered, declaring the academy product will stay in BS3 for another year.

He added: "My option has been triggered so I will be here next year. I'm excited about that so we'll see what happens."

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-defender-consistency-contracts-8335208

Looks like he will be a main asset in our promotion season next year then

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

He was written off by virtually all of us.  Another example of a player being given enough chances to reach the level needed. Massively impressive this season.  League one at best?  Nope 

Like most centre backs - even the quality ones - sometimes prone to the odd glaring error. But if the good stuff outweighs the bad stuff then happy days.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm assuming that this is done to give more time for talks, they must have a decent offer in mind for someone that has been pretty much ever present. 
Don't want another one walking away for free.

You’d think agreeing a long term deal would be straightforward… the reality is that if we can’t agree a longer deal over the summer then they’ll be looking to off load him - as he’s only got a year left.  That would be a massive shame. 
Also his form won’t have gone unnoticed by bigger Championship clubs…

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

You’d think agreeing a long term deal would be straightforward… the reality is that if we can’t agree a longer deal over the summer then they’ll be looking to off load him - as he’s only got a year left.  That would be a massive shame. 
Also his form won’t have gone unnoticed by bigger Championship clubs…

A lot of moving parts with this one IMO. When talks started he wasn't in the strongest position and the bigger earners had taken cuts. Now, as a regular starter and reliable ever present he would be in a much stronger position and I hope the Club appreciates that.  I think the real talks will start as soon as the season ends. To replace him there would be a fee and reasonable wages and probably wouldn't have his Championship experience. Seems straight forward to offer a decent pay rise, but then add Agents. An agent would see peak age CB with lots of Championship experience , and the dance begins.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Not on the OS, so we know someone won’t be commenting on here for a bit 

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

Or he'll be commenting to tell us that he isn't commenting.

In ..........           3......        2....       1.....        :thumbsup:

Since the return after the World Cup we've conceded a goal a game in the league with him being an ever present.  That is top 6 form defensively.

Reading between the lines, we've probably offered him the sort of money a 4th choice CB would be on but he has gone on to become the 1st choice and most reliable CB we have.  He should at least have parity with Atkinson financially.

I hope that the club recognise this and come up with something closer to his market value, as it seems clear he would get a lot more than we've offered elsewhere.  He is now a Championship proven CB.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

He was written off by virtually all of us.  Another example of a player being given enough chances to reach the level needed. Massively impressive this season.  League one at best?  Nope 

A crazy comment isn’t it for a player who’s played 150 times at this level.  I’ve always seen him as a very useful squad player, cheap wages too in comparison to other squad members.  Not everyone can be an auto-pick for the eleven, but you need a squad, and I saw Zak as that.  Add in his versatility and that’s great to have.  What he’s done is grow as a leader.  I’m sure it’s not as simple as I make out, but I really thought he came of age in the Swansea (h) game.  Was already gonna be an under-strength back three, when Atkinson pulled out before k/o, but he led Tanner and Pring through that game, cruel deflected goal cost us 2 points.

Let’s hope he gets a more parable contract offer than what KITR says, signs it, and is here for another 2 or 3 years.  Need to stop trying to re-contract homegrown players on the cheap, pay them what they’re due.  Depending on recruitment this summer, it’s still possible he goes back to being a squad player again, but a good one at that, and one who is most definitely a “champ player”.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Let’s hope he gets a more parable contract offer than what KITR says, signs it, and is here for another 2 or 3 years.  Need to stop trying to re-contract homegrown players on the cheap, pay them what they’re due.  Depending on recruitment this summer, it’s still possible he goes back to being a squad player again, but a good one at that, and one who is most definitely a “champ player”.

Yep. It's great getting the first 3-4 years cheap, but after that we will need to pay these guys market rate. If we don't then they go the way of Bryan and Reid.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yep. It's great getting the first 3-4 years cheap, but after that we will need to pay these guys market rate. If we don't then they go the way of Bryan and Reid.

Yep. It's something that clubs across the board have an issue with, almost as if they take the kids who've come through for granted only for them to then find that they can get more elsewhere.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

A crazy comment isn’t it for a player who’s played 150 times at this level.  I’ve always seen him as a very useful squad player, cheap wages too in comparison to other squad members.  Not everyone can be an auto-pick for the eleven, but you need a squad, and I saw Zak as that.  Add in his versatility and that’s great to have.  What he’s done is grow as a leader.  I’m sure it’s not as simple as I make out, but I really thought he came of age in the Swansea (h) game.  Was already gonna be an under-strength back three, when Atkinson pulled out before k/o, but he led Tanner and Pring through that game, cruel deflected goal cost us 2 points.

Factor in cost of replacement that might not work out as well.

15 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I think he was. When he was at Aberdeen not getting great reviews and then came back and looked poor for us he was written off by vast majority so fair play to him for proving us wrong 

It’s great that he’s proved you and the others wrong then. People only tend to comment when a player is out of form though. I know plenty who were of the same opinion as me so can’t agree with “virtually all of us”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, David Brent said:

It’s great that he’s proved you and the others wrong then. People only tend to comment when a player is out of form though. I know plenty who were of the same opinion as me so can’t agree with “virtually all of us”

There weren’t exactly many willing to defend him on threads though. 

13 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Is it not just down to the fact that he has significantly improved? He was poor and susceptible to defensive errors, he’s eradicated these for the most part. Definitely deserves a new and improved deal.

Imo...Vyner wasn't good enough to be a regular first pick at this level in the past. 

I don't think the arguement about proving people wrong can solely be about ability. 

You have to have the drive, motivation and mind set to harness that ability. 

If you are going through the motions then ' you aren't good enough'. 

I get the impression NP gives players opportunities to enhance their overall ability, especially if it's a down to mindset.  A mindset where you want to be the best player you can be every day, and want to get better, improve, learn, train hard, listen, be humble. 

Vyner imo has had a kick up the backside so to speak. He responded positively. 

He still has his limitations, but has improved considerably. 

• Like 8