IGNORED

Vyner - year extension option activated

40 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Perhaps Plymouth are lining up a contract offer for him ?

They might need a Championship experienced CB IF they get promoted.

He had a successful loan period there, and was popular with his then team mates and fans IIRC ?

They won’t pay anything like we do.

Zak will have attracted interest from clubs with far bigger budgets than them.

The Atkinson comparison is a good one, deserves parity with him.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, spudski said:

Imo...Vyner wasn't good enough to be a regular first pick at this level in the past. 

I don't think the arguement about proving people wrong can solely be about ability. 

You have to have the drive, motivation and mind set to harness that ability. 

If you are going through the motions then ' you aren't good enough'. 

I get the impression NP gives players opportunities to enhance their overall ability, especially if it's a down to mindset.  A mindset where you want to be the best player you can be every day, and want to get better, improve, learn, train hard, listen, be humble. 

Vyner imo has had a kick up the backside so to speak. He responded positively. 

He still has his limitations, but has improved considerably. 

Totally agree about mindset, but I don't think he lacks drive or motivation.
I've said a few times, I think he was lacking confidence. He played well at times as a CB a WB/FB and defensive midfielder. When he first came in he did have a mistake in him, IMO a concentration thing, but he gradually got over it (experience?) . When he got moved around, covering different positions he did seem to lose his way and got grief for it, unfairly a lot of the time, but that's football fans everywhere. This year he has had a long run in the same position, he's been backed by the manager and I think we can all see the results now. It's been a rollercoaster for the Club over the last 3/4 years, not the easiest time for a young player to develop . 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It's well known that most males' prefrontal cortex takes until mid 20s to mature.  The combination of physical maturity and 'executive' maturity is why you see most athletes at their best between 26 and 31.  Obviously we're not all the same.  Some people don't seem to ever mature in terms of their executive functions whereas others do so early (Alex Scott and Jude Bellingham are footballing examples).

• Like 1

So we can add 'decent prefrontal cortex' to the Pearson/Tinnion criteria of athleticism, stamina and good attitude. I'm being light-hearted but it's an interesting point.  

I think Zak performs much better in a back four than a back three as does the team generally.  Hope he gets an extended contract as he is a real asset to the team and, as has been mentioned, developed leadership qualities which are much needed in a side with lots of young players.

• Like 1

I guess in view of previous situations it is in Vyner’s best interest financially at, least for the short/medium term to allow the club to activate his extension, thus keeping him on the higher wage for now and giving the agent a bit of leverage. 

However this won’t last for long with Pearson if it’s not sorted before August/September. 

Enjoy your extra holiday spends Zac you have earned it!

1 hour ago, bcfcnick said:

So we can add 'decent prefrontal cortex' to the Pearson/Tinnion criteria of athleticism, stamina and good attitude. I'm being light-hearted but it's an interesting point.  

I think Zak performs much better in a back four than a back three as does the team generally.  Hope he gets an extended contract as he is a real asset to the team and, as has been mentioned, developed leadership qualities which are much needed in a side with lots of young players.

I really liked playing in a back three, but when City played it, for me, there was too much - 3 defenders marking one forward, or in fact not even marking.  The thought process appearing to be - we’ve got 3 back, we don’t need to mark tight, someone will at some point.  Back Four breeds discipline and responsibility in my mind…at least from a defensive point of view.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

Factor in cost of replacement that might not work out as well.

Kalas. Already here and worth every penny - so long as his fitness can be relied upon. And - if it can - assuming he'd agree a new contract. A few ifs and buts in there, for sure.

Or how about the 6'4", ball playing lad from Palace reserves we're interested in? Probably Vyner's equal on the ball and much taller. 

Think extending his contract is just the club protecting their position while they explore other options. Vyner's played well this season but I'm struggling in my mind's eye to see him in a consistently top 6ish City side. Assuming that's Nige's minimum goal. 

You never know though, I guess. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Kalas. Already here and worth every penny - so long as his fitness can be relied upon. And - if it can - assuming he'd agree a new contract. A few ifs and buts in there, for sure.

Or how about the 6'4", ball playing lad from Palace reserves we're interested in? Probably Vyner's equal on the ball and much taller. 

Think extending his contract is just the club protecting their position while they explore other options. Vyner's played well this season but I'm struggling in my mind's eye to see him in a consistently top 6ish City side. Assuming that's Nige's minimum goal. 

You never know though, I guess. 

You are more of a betting man than me, so what are the odds of Kalas replicating Vyner’s 39 starts out of 40 games so far next season?

The Palace kid is playing in the Belgian second division at present (who even knew they had two?) before that his only senior experience was in League Two.

We obviously think there’s something there, but at the moment him being part of next season’s side looks a bigger gamble than Kalas remaining fit.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

27 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You are more of a betting man than me, so what are the odds of Kalas replicating Vyner’s 39 starts out of 40 games so far next season?

The Palace kid is playing in the Belgian second division at present (who even knew they had two?) before that his only senior experience was in League Two.

We obviously think there’s something there, but at the moment him being part of next season’s side looks a bigger gamble than Kalas remaining fit.

The medics will know whether Kalas was just unlucky with his latest injury or there's a serious underlying problem.

Let's hope it's the former.

For sure, Vyner's availability this season has been excellent, absolutely vital when running a small squad that seems to attract more than it's fair share of injuries. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I think that could be telling when handing out Contracts, Kalas has missed an average of 13 League games a Season over the last 5 years. Even a reduced wage would (could) be a risk and would he accept a pay per play deal ? 
With all said and done , I think Vyner is the one I'd be working hard to sign.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Bard said:

It's well known that most males' prefrontal cortex takes until mid 20s to mature.  The combination of physical maturity and 'executive' maturity is why you see most athletes at their best between 26 and 31.  Obviously we're not all the same.  Some people don't seem to ever mature in terms of their executive functions whereas others do so early (Alex Scott and Jude Bellingham are footballing examples).

Very good point. He’s got >150 Championship games under his belt, as he comes into the prime of his career. From what we’ve seen so far, he probably wouldn’t be the best player in a top 6 side, but think plausible he could be in a top 6 side. Sometimes has hints of a very good player when bringing the ball out and has largely eliminated the big mistakes. Within reason I’d be looking to negotiate him onto a longer term deal asap. 

• Like 1

Yes sure good Zak signed a further year and would hope there a decent 3 year contract on the table come the summer. Wonder how much Kalas perceived ongoing fitness effects this and mated defenders on our radar to be bought in. As always I think there several things effecting each decision. Will be an interesting summer with goings and comings. 

11 hours ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Very good point. He’s got >150 Championship games under his belt, as he comes into the prime of his career. From what we’ve seen so far, he probably wouldn’t be the best player in a top 6 side, but think plausible he could be in a top 6 side. Sometimes has hints of a very good player when bringing the ball out and has largely eliminated the big mistakes. Within reason I’d be looking to negotiate him onto a longer term deal asap. 

Very good points.

I know I bang on about availability but it is a big part of how you become a top six side.

Say we started next season with Kalas & Vyner as our centre back pairing, with Atkinson presumably then due to return from injury fairly soon, the option of having one of these 3 on the subs bench not only provides re-assurance if you do have to change it, but also as Pearson often likes to say, competition for places drives up standards.

We have to an extent got away with it of late, with just 1 fit natural CB alongside Pring, who has done a steady job, despite our defensive record being good since October we definitely need more depth there.

• Like 1

On 09/04/2023 at 08:05, View from the Dolman said:

From the Post... (and I don't think this has been previously confirmed) 

Vyner also touched upon his immediate future with discussions ongoing over extending his contract. His current deal was expiring at the end of his campaign, but he confirmed a one-year option has been triggered, declaring the academy product will stay in BS3 for another year.

He added: "My option has been triggered so I will be here next year. I'm excited about that so we'll see what happens."

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-defender-consistency-contracts-8335208

Whilst I accept that Scott will go I think the fans will not be so understanding if players like Vyner, Conway and Bell and also sold.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Whilst I accept that Scott will go I think the fans will not be so understanding if players like Vyner, Conway and Bell and also sold.

Vyner there may be no option if he won’t sign a new deal. Either this summer or next. He is replaceable.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

If its a deal we can't turn down then it's a no brainer.

3 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

From Darren Witcoop, Assistant Sports Content Editor at Reach PLC/ Sunday Mirror Sports News Editor

I mean Vyner has done well this season…..but Brentford, for real!?!? He’s vastly improved to being a competent mid-table Championship defender, but bloody hell he would be terrorised in the division above, i dont think he is even good enough for a team aiming to get promoted, let alone being established in the Premier league.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mr Hankey said:

I mean Vyner has done well this season…..but Brentford, for real!?!? He’s vastly improved to being a competent mid-table Championship defender, but bloody hell he would be terrorised in the division above, i dont think he is even good enough for a team aiming to get promoted, let alone being established in the Premier league.

Hes a cheap back up who helps with the home grown quota

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

Hes a cheap back up who helps with the home grown quota

In that way it makes a bit of sense, but a club currently 9th in the Prem looking at Vyner? Would be an odd one, especially as he will be 26 by the start of next season, young of course but not a spring chicken.

Just to be clear, i’m having a dig at Zak (i have done many times in the past) as he has improved tremedously this season, but a move to the Prem would shock me.

Edited by Mr Hankey

10 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

If we can sell Ralph Milne to Man Utd, anything's possible....

• Haha 3
  • Robin 1