IGNORED

Middlesborough at home match thread

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

Really enjoyed that game. 

I thought everyone played with desire. 

Created plenty of chances and defended well. Organised and pressed well. Lots of energy...just needed to be more composed and take care for the ball on occasion in the final third. 

Really happy to see Harry do well. And yes...he definitely has a Steve Jones vibe about him. 

It was obvious Naismith was rusty when he came on...but good to get some minutes under his belt again. 

I thought James and King really shone today. And Wells put in a great shift. 

It's worth looking at the present Championship table and how close it is from 4th Boro and 13th us. One loss difference. And all the teams in between just a few losses difference. 

Just goes to show how tight this league is. Converting just a few draws and losses into wins would have had us top 6. 

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/9141/Stages/21050/Show/England-Championship-2022-2023

And Blackburn and Preston show how you can get in and, around the play offs with a minus goal difference. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

Really?  Even if Boro dont go up, they will replace those loans with four more of equal quality, and be strong again next season. Or are you talking long term?

Our largely homegrown squad went toe-to-toe with them today. Max, Pring, Vyner, Bell, Conway and Taylor-Clarke haven’t cost us a penny in loan fees or agents’ costs. That’s my point.

And if Weimann squared it to Bell in the first half or Vyner buries that open goal, we’d have won and I don’t think anyone would have too many complaints. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 8
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Thoroughly entertaining game, wish I’d been there.

Some excellent individual performances too, against some quality opposition players.

Things are looking up.

Pleased for Cornick.  He played well tonight.  He’s ragged at times, unpredictable but he can be a menace.  Giles had a torrid time defensively.

Belly had Tommy Smith on toast.  Needs to work on his final ball.  Cool finish.

Dasilva another good game too.

Goals happen, shit happens.  Despite Pring’s scoop clearance, there was still a lot of time after that to north make that the focus.

Thought whoever let Smith go for their worst was poor.  Do the hard yards early, don’t think you can make it up.

We are in the up.

Good effort overall, but two poor goals given away.

Pring did ok with the clearance, not great, but ok. King had a simple flick on which should have led to a decent breakaway for us. He should have been aware of our player running on to the side of him and had the energy to do the flick. Simple fact he was physically and mentally knackered. Disappointing he hadn’t been subbed a few minutes earlier.

Really awful marking for their headed goal and I thought Max could have gambled with a dive in that direction tbh.

I know Nige doesn’t bleat on about our injuries, but maybe would expect Sky to mention something. Ok saying we’re a small team…but Lummydaze we’ve 3 ‘giant’ what were our first choice centre backs out …Bakes permanently, Atkinson for the season and beyond and Kalas unknown. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Thoroughly entertaining game, wish I’d been there.

Some excellent individual performances too, against some quality opposition players.

Things are looking up.

Pleased for Cornick.  He played well tonight.  He’s ragged at times, unpredictable but he can be a menace.  Giles had a torrid time defensively.

Belly had Tommy Smith on toast.  Needs to work on his final ball.  Cool finish.

Dasilva another good game too.

Goals happen, shit happens.  Despite Pring’s scoop clearance, there was still a lot of time after that to north make that the focus.

Thought whoever let Smith go for their worst was poor.  Do the hard yards early, don’t think you can make it up.

We are in the up.

A great game that flew by, but it was BLEEEEEEDIN' COLD tonight.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was there a potential penalty for us today or am I clutching?

On Bell late on? Looked like a little pull on his arm, but those aren't often given in the box.

2-2 a fair result. Did anyone watch it on TV and can you clear up whether their equalizer was defo onside?

I thought at the time it could have been offside.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 2
47 minutes ago, tin said:

Spot on. By contrast, Boro had four PL loanees (Steffen, Giles, Ramsay and Archer) on the pitch at various times today. I know whose shoes I’d rather be in. 

Really? You’d rather be 13th and the season effectively over than 4th and heading for the play offs? I find that either hard to believe.

Surely it‘s about the right loanee at the right time in the right position, rather than simply loans are good/bad. 

Of course loanees are, by definition, not ‘our’ players and likely to move on after a year. But how long do ‘our own’ players sometimes stay? Tammy Abraham is an example of a successful loan. And he played as many games for us as did our very own Adam Webster. 

Edited by italian dave
  • Like 3
11 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

On Bell late on? Looked like a little pull on his arm, but those aren't often given in the box.

2-2 a fair result. Did anyone watch it on TV and can you clear up whether their equalizer was defo onside?

I thought at the time it could have been offside.

Just seen their second on Sky Sports and it was onside. 

• Thanks 3
11 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Ok was watching at home and had to go to the docs. Was standing at the reception in injury time and the commentator said he must score and I ripped my earphones out. 

Clearly he didn’t. What happened?

If it was the Vyner one, good whipped free kick in, takes a minor deflection and kind of hits Vyner about two yards out. Hit him it seemed on the thigh and somehow went over the bar. If he had time to react and just threw himself at it, any kind of half controlled contact and it’s in. I actually thought he had scored. 

13 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Really? You’d rather be 13th and the season effectively over than 4th and heading for the play offs? I find that either hard to believe.

Surely it‘s about the right loanee at the right time in the right position, rather than simply loans are good/bad. 

Of course loanees are, by definition, not ‘our’ players and likely to move on after a year. But how long do ‘our own’ players sometimes stay? Tammy Abraham is an example of a successful loan. And he played as many games for us as did our very own Adam Webster. 

Where have I said loans are good or bad, Davide? I’d love to have Ramsay in our midfield, for example.

It’s not as black and white as that, though. If they were in the top two then having four PL loanees is absolutely justified, but as it happens there’s no guarantee those four will get them up. 

So as it happens, yes I would rather be in our shoes with potentially £20m+ coming our way from the sale of Scott and the nucleus of a young, homegrown  squad that feels like it’s on the up. 

• Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Good effort overall, but two poor goals given away.

Pring did ok with the clearance, not great, but ok. King had a simple flick on which should have led to a decent breakaway for us. He should have been aware of our player running on to the side of him and had the energy to do the flick. Simple fact he was physically and mentally knackered. Disappointing he hadn’t been subbed a few minutes earlier.

Really awful marking for their headed goal and I thought Max could have gambled with a dive in that direction tbh.

I know Nige doesn’t bleat on about our injuries, but maybe would expect Sky to mention something. Ok saying we’re a small team…but Lummydaze we’ve 3 ‘giant’ what were our first choice centre backs out …Bakes permanently, Atkinson for the season and beyond and Kalas unknown. 

In fairness to King, I expect he would not have been expected to be called upon so much last and this season- all the injuries and heading towards the tail end of his career. A thin squad, I get it...is what it is given all these injuries. Williams in and out, Naismith two medium term, James had some and Scott during bloody international break.

Host of games at centre back too in part covering the back 3, and then the Massengo contract situation thinned us out further.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Cracking game of football that a fair result in the end.

So impressed with Tanner looks like he's turning into some player.

Funniest bit of the night was a guy in the same row as us in the Lansdown having a total meltdown when Boro had the goal ruled out, he had no ideal the flag had gone up i thought he was going to rip his seat out. Still he managed a smile through his embarrassment in the end.

Anyway well played City this club is definitely on the up.

48 minutes ago, gee3tee said:

Clutching, though it wasn't immediately obvious whether the ref was pointing to the goal line or penalty spot - seemed to waver a tad ?

I mean given the number of good penalty calls we've been denied we are due the odd stinker of a decision in our favour. ?

Further, Bennett at Wigan, Sykes retrospective 4 game ban, Sykes but not Freeman being penalised v Luton, Norwood getting away with it v Sheffield United- shall I go on!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
2 hours ago, cityexile said:

If it was the Vyner one, good whipped free kick in, takes a minor deflection and kind of hits Vyner about two yards out. Hit him it seemed on the thigh and somehow went over the bar. If he had time to react and just threw himself at it, any kind of half controlled contact and it’s in. I actually thought he had scored. 

Last kick. Offside I’m informed. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, tin said:

Where have I said loans are good or bad, Davide? I’d love to have Ramsay in our midfield, for example.

It’s not as black and white as that, though. If they were in the top two then having four PL loanees is absolutely justified, but as it happens there’s no guarantee those four will get them up. 

So as it happens, yes I would rather be in our shoes with potentially £20m+ coming our way from the sale of Scott and the nucleus of a young, homegrown  squad that feels like it’s on the up. 

Yeah, and sorry - that comment wasn’t intended as being directed at you: it’s just that the discussions here on loans often come across as being very black and white. 

I think we’re probably agreeing on the principles: and of course none of us really know who has and hasn’t been available and at what cost. I’d fully accept Pearson’s comments earlier in the season about good loan signings coming at a high cost and often with strings.

I just think that, firstly, in response to your comment about Scott, very clearly the right loan signing would not have been one that impeded Scott’s progress this season. Or, indeed, Conway, Bell etc.  And yes, as the season has panned out finishing mid table with the emergence of our youngsters is an OK outcome.

But just say we’d been able to get the right two loans: say a centre back (a la Caulker) - which would also have given Pring the chance to develop at his preferred left back position - and a midfielder to give us some stability during those spells when we were without Williams, King and James. And that had made the difference between us being 13th and 4th??

And, picking up another of your points, probably not a disaster if those two didn’t get us up - but would have given our emerging youngsters even better experience of competing at that level. 

All speculation, I know! 

4 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

**** me and I thought this place was negative at times. Miserable lot they Boro fans . Just had a look at their match day thread 

Yes it was very odd. They don't seem very confident of the playoffs with there defence.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

For once I can't quibble too much with those, but I feel a 6 is a little harsh on Pring.

Goals are rarely the "fault" of just the last defender, yet the Post, and some fans always comment on them as if they are. 

29 minutes ago, erndogz said:

Quick update on my return to the Gate. My daughter loved it, she wants a season ticket for next year and really want to go to the Rotherham game for her birthday. I'm not against it... Her mother on the other hand ?

Play on the old father/daughter quality bonding time thing.

And give her mum some cash and send her up Cabot Circus for the afternoon..................................