IGNORED

Middlesborough at home match thread

Happy Easter fellow-Reds.

Easter quiz

1. How many Easter eggs are sold in the UK every year?

2.  Which country started the tradition of the Easter  bunny?

3. In Switzerland, what animal delivers Easter eggs to children?

4. What popular game is traditionally played at Easter?

5. Where is Easter Island located?

6. Where was the UK's first Easter egg produced?

7. Where did the world's largest Easter egg hunt take place?

8. What dance traditionally takes place at Easter?

The game is on Sky from 5:15 with kick off at 5:30.

On 15 February 2022 their opening MDT for this corresponding game included: ‘The team formerly known as Bristol South End haven’t got much to play for at the moment. They’re 17 points above the relegation places and 12 behind us, with ten teams separating us in the table. It’s a bit early to break out the deckchairs down by the Avon, but their indifferent form hints at a team playing with little incentive beyond professional pride. They’ve recently lost to Swansea but they did beat Reading, which is cheering for those of us who’d like to see Reading consigned to the wastelands of League One for consistently spending more than twice their turnover on wages.’ We won that game 2-1. In some ways it’s a similar story again and let’s hope it again ends with us winning.

We drew 1-1 at theirs back in November when Max O’Leary was superb: https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/2022/november/06/highlights--boro-1-bristol-city-1/

At the Riverside we allowed Howson too much time and space so need to prevent him influencing this game.

They have won three, lost two and drawn one of their last six games. Last Saturday they were beaten 4-2 by Huddersfield and on Good Friday they lost 2-1 at home against Burnley.

Nigel Pearson has almost ruled Kal Naismith out for this one, and Tomas Kalas and Alex Scott are certainly out of this fixture as he errs on the side of caution with their recoveries. We will also need to see if Omar and Tommy are available as both picked up knocks last time out.

NP:

Referee is Tim Robinson, linos Craig Taylor and Jonathan Hunt and the fourth official Andy Woolmer.

On 24 October 2022, Michael Carrick was appointed as their head coach. Middlesbrough were  21st in the EFL Championship at the time, with 17 points from 16 games, just one point above the relegation zone. Now they are fourth with 67 points.

He has had a huge impact as one of their fans said, ‘from the moment Carrick took over, I can honestly say this is the best I've ever seen Middlesbrough play. I go  to every match now expecting Middlesbrough to not just score, but to score multiple goals, which is practically unheard of for a Middlesbrough side this century.’

Unsurprisingly, he’s been linked with Premiership clubs, including West Ham, who media reports claim could target the former Hammer if they sack David Moyes.

Carrick remained at Manchester United after retirement, having been handed a position on José Mourinho's coaching staff. When Mourinho was sacked by United on 18 December 2018, Carrick briefly became caretaker manager, prior to the appointment of another former United player Ole Gunnar Solskjær whoretained Carrick as part of his coaching staff.

On 21 November 2021, after Ole Gunnar Solskjær left his role as manager, Carrick was named caretaker manager. During his three match reign as caretaker manager, he recorded two wins and one draw.

Since our first match against them in 1901, we've played each other 86 times, we have won 28, drawn 23 and lost 35 times. Our last 10 matches against them have seen 4 City wins, 2 draws and 4 defeats.

Players who have worn the shirt of both teams include Albert Adomah, Neil Maddison, Lee Tomlin, Tomas Kalas, Gary O'Neil, Leroy Lita, Matthew Bates and Andre Bikey.

Of course NP once captained Boro, manager Bryan Robson signed him for £750,000 in 1994. Pearson captained them to promotion twice and to three domestic cup finals. Pearson retired from playing in 1998. After losing out on the managerial role at his former club Middlesbrough to Garry Monk, Pearson was appointed as the manager of Belgian First Division B side Oud-Heverlee Leuven on 22 September 2017. He was sacked on 3 February 2019.

Recently their captain Jonny Howson signed a new contract with the club. Howson signed a one-year extension to his deal that was due to expire this summer. The midfielder will turn 35 in May but is as important as he's ever been for Boro and has started all but one of the 22 Championship games since Carrick took charge.

Famous fans

James Arthur

Middlesbrough born-and-bred, Arthur came from nowhere to win the 2012 series of former ITV show The X Factor and immediately thrust himself into super-stardom.

Bob Mortimer

Another famous face to be born in the town, Mortimer has been a Boro supporter for all of his life.

He's best known for his comedic partnership with Vic Reeves, presenting shows such as Shooting Stars and he continues to appear on television shows to this day.

Chris Rea

A chart-topping singer with two number one albums, Rea is another one of Middlesbrough's famous sons and even re-recorded his 'Let's Dance' song in 1997 for the football club.

He is best known for his 'Driving Home For Christmas' tune which despite only reaching 10th in the UK charts is known around the world.

Mark Benton

Born in nearby Guisborough, Benton has started in British shows such as Early Doors, Northern Lights and Waterloo Road during his acting career.

Chris Kamara

Another famous son of Teesside, Kamara was born and grew up in Boro and is known to be close friends with the club's owner Steve Gibson having grown up with the businessman in their youth.

Both would attend matches together but despite becoming a good footballer, he would never go on to play for his hometown and boyhood club, although he still supports them to this very day.

Glen Durrant

Perhaps the most vocal on this list about his love for the Boro, Durrant is a darts champion having lifted the BDO World Championship three times in a row between 2017 and 2019.

Answers

1. 80 million

2. Germany

3. The Easter Cuckoo (bird)

4. An Easter egg hunt

5. The Southeast Pacific

6. The UK's first chocolate egg was produced in Bristol in 1873, by J.S. Fry and Sons

7. Florida

8. Morris dancing

A65ABF39-D7E3-49CE-A96F-4680F17772B9.jpeg

32FDBB5A-A91E-443D-8F28-896025FC59C7.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6
38 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Easter quiz

On 15 February 2022 their opening MDT for this corresponding game included: ‘The team formerly known as Bristol South End haven’t got much to play for at the moment. They’re 17 points above the relegation places and 12 behind us, with ten teams separating us in the table. It’s a bit early to break out the deckchairs down by the Avon, but their indifferent form hints at a team playing with little incentive beyond professional pride. They’ve recently lost to Swansea but they did beat Reading, which is cheering for those of us who’d like to see Reading consigned to the wastelands of League One for consistently spending more than twice their turnover on wages.’ We won that game 2-1. In some ways it’s a similar story again and let’s hope it again ends with us winning.

We drew 1-1 at theirs back in November when Max O’Leary was superb: https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/2022/november/06/highlights--boro-1-bristol-city-1/

At the Riverside we allowed Howson too much time and space so need to prevent him influencing this game.

They have won three, lost two and drawn one of their last six games. Last Saturday they were beaten 4-2 by Huddersfield and on Good Friday they lost 2-1 at home against Burnley.

Nigel Pearson has almost ruled Kal Naismith out for this one, and Tomas Kalas and Alex Scott are certainly out of this fixture as he errs on the side of caution with their recoveries. We will also need to see if Omar and Tommy are available as both picked up knocks last time out.

NP:

Referee is Tim Robinson, linos Craig Taylor and Jonathan Hunt and the fourth official Andy Woolmer.

On 24 October 2022, Michael Carrick was appointed as their head coach. Middlesbrough were  21st in the EFL Championship at the time, with 17 points from 16 games, just one point above the relegation zone. Now they are fourth with 67 points.

He has had a huge impact as one of their fans said, ‘from the moment Carrick took over, I can honestly say this is the best I've ever seen Middlesbrough play. I go  to every match now expecting Middlesbrough to not just score, but to score multiple goals, which is practically unheard of for a Middlesbrough side this century.’

Unsurprisingly, he’s been linked with Premiership clubs, including West Ham, who media reports claim could target the former Hammer if they sack David Moyes.

Carrick remained at Manchester United after retirement, having been handed a position on José Mourinho's coaching staff. When Mourinho was sacked by United on 18 December 2018, Carrick briefly became caretaker manager, prior to the appointment of another former United player Ole Gunnar Solskjær whoretained Carrick as part of his coaching staff.

On 21 November 2021, after Ole Gunnar Solskjær left his role as manager, Carrick was named caretaker manager. During his three match reign as caretaker manager, he recorded two wins and one draw.

Since our first match against them in 1901, we've played each other 86 times, we have won 28, drawn 23 and lost 35 times. Our last 10 matches against them have seen 4 City wins, 2 draws and 4 defeats.

Players who have worn the shirt of both teams include Albert Adomah, Neil Maddison, Lee Tomlin, Tomas Kalas, Gary O'Neil, Leroy Lita, Matthew Bates and Andre Bikey.

Of course NP once captained Boro, manager Bryan Robson signed him for £750,000 in 1994. Pearson captained them to promotion twice and to three domestic cup finals. Pearson retired from playing in 1998. After losing out on the managerial role at his former club Middlesbrough to Garry Monk, Pearson was appointed as the manager of Belgian First Division B side Oud-Heverlee Leuven on 22 September 2017. He was sacked on 3 February 2019.

Recently their captain Jonny Howson signed a new contract with the club. Howson signed a one-year extension to his deal that was due to expire this summer. The midfielder will turn 35 in May but is as important as he's ever been for Boro and has started all but one of the 22 Championship games since Carrick took charge.

Famous fans

James Arthur

Middlesbrough born-and-bred, Arthur came from nowhere to win the 2012 series of former ITV show The X Factor and immediately thrust himself into super-stardom.

Bob Mortimer

Another famous face to be born in the town, Mortimer has been a Boro supporter for all of his life.

He's best known for his comedic partnership with Vic Reeves, presenting shows such as Shooting Stars and he continues to appear on television shows to this day.

Chris Rea

A chart-topping singer with two number one albums, Rea is another one of Middlesbrough's famous sons and even re-recorded his 'Let's Dance' song in 1997 for the football club.

He is best known for his 'Driving Home For Christmas' tune which despite only reaching 10th in the UK charts is known around the world.

Mark Benton

Born in nearby Guisborough, Benton has started in British shows such as Early Doors, Northern Lights and Waterloo Road during his acting career.

Chris Kamara

Another famous son of Teesside, Kamara was born and grew up in Boro and is known to be close friends with the club's owner Steve Gibson having grown up with the businessman in their youth.

Both would attend matches together but despite becoming a good footballer, he would never go on to play for his hometown and boyhood club, although he still supports them to this very day.

Glen Durrant

Perhaps the most vocal on this list about his love for the Boro, Durrant is a darts champion having lifted the BDO World Championship three times in a row between 2017 and 2019.

Answers

1. 80 million

2. Germany

4. An Easter egg hunt

5. The Southeast Pacific

6. The UK's first chocolate egg was produced in Bristol in 1873, by J.S. Fry and Sons

7. Florida

8. Morris dancing

Condensed Version

Boro:

5. Where is Easter Island located?  Between Christmas Island and August Bank Holiday Island

COYR

• Like 2
  • Haha 14
  • Flames 1
1 hour ago, cityexile said:

Thanks as ever.

Interesting thread on the oppositions fan site for a change. Scroll down for lots of stuff that may trigger memories for some of the older fans.

https://www.oneboro.co.uk/forum/topic/13428-bristol-city-v-middlesbrough/page/2/#comments

Wow that post represents hours of research and work, credit where it’s due.

Just now, Jerseybean said:

Wow that post represents hours of research and work, credit where it’s due.

The one from Erimus74

• Like 3
1 hour ago, cityexile said:

Thanks as ever.

Interesting thread on the oppositions fan site for a change. Scroll down for lots of stuff that may trigger memories for some of the older fans.

https://www.oneboro.co.uk/forum/topic/13428-bristol-city-v-middlesbrough/page/2/#comments

The players in common from the opening post are a bit baffling though! 

Some players in common

Tomas Kalas

Mighty Joe Lumley?? 

Leroy Lita

Yakubu?? 

Andrew Taylor

Lewis Baker?? 

47 minutes ago, redkev said:

Probably the most intimidating place I been watching city away over the years (Ayresome park not the riverside ) had some right hairy moments in the 80s and 90s , was a Shiite hole, pretty much still high on the list of shiteholes along with Stoke & Hull in my opinion .

The Riverside has it`s moments. I remember taking a wrong turn after the cup match up there and ending up on one of the worst estates I`ve ever seen. Twelve year old kids jumping on the roofs of cars and slinging stuff at anything that moved.

Foot down and get out as quickly as possible!

52 minutes ago, redkev said:

Probably the most intimidating place I been watching city away over the years (Ayresome park not the riverside ) had some right hairy moments in the 80s and 90s , was a Shiite hole, pretty much still high on the list of shiteholes along with Stoke & Hull in my opinion .

Oh yes.

Remember having golf balls thrown at us up there.

Have to say none of the throwers looked like golf was their game of choice.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Oh yes.

Remember having golf balls thrown at us up there.

Have to say none of the throwers looked like golf was their game of choice.

Done a delivery up in Middlesbrough last year lovely sunny day midweek , had to deliver some water pipes to a compound on a housing estate , I had to ring ahead with reference tell them reg of vehicle and what I was driving , when I arrived the compand  had more razor wire around it then British steel , opposite was some waste ground never seen so many drunken drugged up adults ( not drop outs ) just rough as arsehole universal credit claiming bums in all my life just sat around drinking where the kids just ran around all on a Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon , 

said it many a time don’t knock Bristol 

• Sad 1
36 minutes ago, redkev said:

Done a delivery up in Middlesbrough last year lovely sunny day midweek , had to deliver some water pipes to a compound on a housing estate , I had to ring ahead with reference tell them reg of vehicle and what I was driving , when I arrived the compand  had more razor wire around it then British steel , opposite was some waste ground never seen so many drunken drugged up adults ( not drop outs ) just rough as arsehole universal credit claiming bums in all my life just sat around drinking where the kids just ran around all on a Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon , 

prowd

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, redkev said:

This is a totally unfair description of the town and it’s inhabitants, a minuscule ‘sample’ taken from one of their more upmarket parts.

• Haha 9
15 hours ago, redkev said:

I've told this story before, but here you go.

Went to the old ground in a transit, stopped looking for a beer. Pulled up in a large pub carpark, a bit outside of Middlesboro. Landlord and landlady came over and said "you can't stop here" . Driver asks why and the Landlady says "oh, you're not locals, come on in" :blink:

Even people from M'boro don't like people from M'boro :laughcont:

• Haha 12
2 hours ago, 22A said:

Scroll down to the lengthy post by Erimus 74. Plenty of newspaper clippings from over the years going back to about 1970 when Bobby Kellard was suspended.

Bobby Kellard being suspended brings back a boyhood memory for me, he was one of favourite players back in the day. I was watching football focus and they announced our game had been postponed which I took to mean Bobby’s suspension would be one game shorter, in celebration I jumped up in our lounge punched the air, hit the light a fused all the lights! 

23 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Easter quiz

NP:

Famous fans

James Arthur

Bob Mortimer

Chris Rea

Mark Benton

Chris Kamara

Glen Durrant

Answers

1. 80 million

2. Germany

4. An Easter egg hunt

5. The Southeast Pacific

7. Florida

8. Morris dancing

I went to an interesting exhibition at the Mshed some years ago about chocolate manufacture and they had some old Easter egg machines from Fry’s. 

13 minutes ago, erndogz said:

First Bristol City game for me since the Hull play off defeat. Quite looking forward taking smy 10 year old daughter to her first city game. It was her idea. 

Welcome back??

Ashton Gate is a bit different these days…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not really much to play for for us as we are mid table and unlikely to be going up or down with few games left, though either are still mathematically possible. Very different for Boro though as they are 4th and still hoping for an automatic spot.

Our players will just be playing for their places, to be in contention for next season and maybe contracts in some cases.

Still as usual looking forward to 5.30 and hoping for a decent performance from us.  At least the forecast is fine after 3:00 p.m. albeit somewhat windy.

For those unable to make the game, you will either need to watch on Sky, NowTV or find a dodgy stream (I'm sure there will be a few).

Just now, Davefevs said:

Huddersfield 2-0 Blackburn after 25 mins!!

Warnock is doing an incredible job there. When we played Huddersfield I honestly thought they were the worst team I’ve seen all season. All they had in their locker was to kick our best players and hang in there by doing so, and I couldn’t believe we weren’t out of sight by half time.

Fast forward a few games and it looks like they’ll survive, comfortably as well. I don’t like the way Warnock gets his teams playing but he really does know how to get results at this level. That turnaround has been up there with anything he’s done in his career. 

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Worst memory. The terrible foul on Gerry Sharpe that finished his career. The culprit not even booked. Wish I could remember his name the dirty sod! Just remembered Eric McMordie.

Best memorty. Obviously the match result Joe Royle FC 4-0 Middlesbrough FC.

You could hear his leg crack up in the Dolman.  Think McMordie was the culprit 

• Like 1