IGNORED

Have you enjoyed it, or not?

SydneyCity

Yes I have, it’s been great. I was concerned about getting dragged into a relegation battle for a while, but we have had some good games and got some good results. I’ve also really liked the way many of our young players have been given a chance and cemented their place in the first team squad. 

• Like 2

From a purely statistical point of view it looks like a bang average season, and in many ways it has been - mid table is mid table at the end of the day. But it's the direction of travel and the emergence of an exciting young team rooted in the academy, playing very good football, that has elevated this season beyond the statistics I think. Plus of course an enjoyable cup run culminating in a high profile game against Manchester City, where we gave a great account of ourselves. Massive summer coming up - working on the assumption that Scott goes, I'm excited to see how much of that money is reinvested in the team, and who we buy.

For me the biggest negative has been the massive downgrade on our kit supplier that has made us look cheap at a time when everything else about the club feels like it's on the up.

• Like 11

We have serenely drifted through the season as many teams around us flail and flounder. I've enjoyed how we seem to have stuck to a plan and executed it largely as we intended.

The minor "Pearson out" kerfuffle at Christmas was a shame, but other than that it's been a pretty enjoyable season.

Oh and losing Gould was also a shame. 

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 6

I have enjoyed it. We've had some very good performances and some awful hence the mid table position, but there finally seems to be a long term plan. Hopefully with NP in charge we can continue the progression next season.

Been a very positive season all around , crowds improving all the time more family participation including the womens football who have had crowds of over 3000 this season 

The amount of injuries we’ve had has held us back but also given many of the young players debuts great to see , we’ve got rid of around 11 players / shaved wages and sold players for 11million ( so far ) and are still competing and should better last season’s point tally , what’s not to love COYR 

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, SydneyCity said:

Living in Australia, I have to stay awake till an ungodly hour to watch games. Having a young kid means I don’t get much sleep once I do get to bed after the final whistle’s blown. For a good number of years I’ve watched out of blind devotion. It’s been truly horrible.

This season, I’ve really enjoyed it. Win, lose or draw - I see a squad I increasingly care about, a squad - and manager - that cares about our club, an emerging style of play (or at least, a desire to play that style) and a bright future.

If you had to sit on one side of the fence, have you ENJOYED this season, yes or no?

Either way, why?

I'm in the same boat as you mate, in South Oz & have to make a special effort to try & see games.

For the record I'm enjoying it, mainly because of all the positives that are coming out of our academy, NP & Co. Interesting summer coming up :thumbsup:

• Like 2

We are showing progress. With young upcoming players: Scott, Pring, Bell, Conway and the vast improvement of Vyner this has bred positivity for future seasons.

Coupled that with the improvement of players signed from League 1 and 2 sides in Tanner, Atkinson and Sykes there is plenty to be pleased with.

Unfortunately throughout this season our most important experienced pros have been injured which has led to inconsistent spells. Kalas, Naismith, James, Williams and Weimann all being out for long periods has prevented us from really pushing further up the table.

However we're comfortably mid table and most can see the bigger picture that we're a side who are improving and are developing good young players. We are better than last season despite having our best players injured for a long periods and finally we are winning home games on a much more regular basis than in previous seasons where it was very methodical and dull.

• Like 4

I've enjoyed it on the whole. Less so in some places than others and the injury situation's been frustrating. But we've integrated young players who look exciting, we've seen players like Wells, Vyner and Pring measurably improve on last season, played some lovely football and the last couple of games have suggested we can compete with other teams in the division even if we lose Scott in the summer. And, as the OP alluded, we've got a genuinely likeable squad and manager where the team spirit looks very positive. 

• Like 6

Funny, I was thinking about starting a topic like this earler, prompted by yesterdays match reaction threads. The result was disappointing or more frustrating in the end. This probably has been the theme to the last few seasons.

But all in all, I really enjoyed the match, and generally (apart from a few crap performances) I’ve enjoyed the games. Yestrerdays was a good game of football, action, goals, excitement, entertainment form both teams. Pearson has got us more competitive which is the biggest plus alongside introducing young academy prospects who generally don’t look out of place.

The big key to this now is to continue to build on this direction and get us to the Millwall/Coventry/ Luton/ Preston attitude of the past few seasons. 

Pearson has perhaps helped us all as a club to face up to the truth that we’ve historically been a bit nice as a club and we’ve got to get a more hungry attitude around the whole place.

So I hope that we can start to properly compete for psomotion next season, and above all play the type of entertaining football that we have began to see this year. I’ve actually started to look forward to attending matches again this season.

• Like 4

Really enjoyable season

Probably not hit my expectations at the start of the season. Progress has been good but a poor spell of form in the Autumn meant that we have been out of the play off picture for many months. That itself has been somewhat enjoyable as the defeats have much less meaning.

The football has been great at times, we have scored some fantastic goals and its a delight to see the youngsters come through

For me, January was the real start of Nige's Management role. Much that has gone before has been repair and firefighting. Now he has the backroom staff, recruitment and with Mehmetti he signed a player with X factor he talked of, instead of filling gaps.

Even though it's been another roller coaster ride of injuries, losing runs , Pearson out / Pearson in shouts and kit firms doing runners, I have overall enjoyed a great deal. 
Forced to play kids or not, the youth coming through has been a breath of fresh air. We've seen real direction and joined up thinking. Considered previews and reviews of games from the manager , and a team giving everything. That's good enough on it's own, but we have played some really good stuff and now seem to be a a proper 'Team".
We may lose Scott ( a loan back would be amazing business) , but with so many teams seemingly showing genuine interest , it will be on our terms and not on the cheap.

I think we can have genuine reason to be optimistic for next season. 

EDIT

After saying "a loan back would be amazing business" , I went on Twitter and saw below, which means it wont happen :laughcont:

Screenshot2023-04-11at14_04_12.png.3ba972b960b0fc14634d1124344c9bdf.png

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 2

I have.

The injuries and some of the officiating have been desperately unlucky but we've generally competed quite well, unlike last season very few thrashings.

At home we have actually had a positive shot ratio and have deserved more probably, away from home perhaps we've got more than we deserve in certain games but overall good- two mini Cup runs too, big disappointment v Lincoln mind you.

Seeing younger players develop great, O'Leary, Vyner and Pring all kicking on in their own ways despite being a bit older- excellent. 

I've never been especially concerned about the drop personally, was NP in even after West Brom on Boxing Day as was a tough job, still rebuilding, some of our performances at home especially were outstripping the results which meant IMO that we weren't necessarily of a bottom 3 standard or even a bottom 6 standard even if results were not so positive.

I’ve enjoyed the season overall and feel more positive about City than I have for a long time. We have a clear identity and way of playing which is entertaining to watch and the players seem as tight a unit as we’ve had for many years. With the emergence of Tanner, Bell and Conway, the improvement of Vyner and Pring, and the continued excellence of Scott it has been fantastic to see so much young talent come through. Seeing them being mentored on and off the pitch by King, James, Naismith etc. has also been great to see. 

My one frustration for the season has been the run either side of the World Cup break where we won 3 in 17 and the wheels threatened to come off for a while. I was still just about in favour of keeping Nige at that point but as with many I was very close to turning. The battling away performances at Millwall and Coventry gave us the platform to build and we haven’t looked back since. We just need to start turning some of these draws into wins now and we could really progress next season.

As for Pearson, overall I think he’s done a tremendous job. We were an absolute mess when he arrived with a bloated squad, no way of playing and a squad that were sinking fast. He’s had to slash the wage bill and turn us into a viable business as well as a team, and it really does feel like we’re heading in the right direction now.

Assuming Scott goes, I’m really hopeful that we can bring in what we need to have a real crack at the top 6 next season. I’ve supported City for long enough to know that it could all go horribly wrong, but the signs are positive and things are looking up. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SydneyCity said:

Living in Australia, I have to stay awake till an ungodly hour to watch games. Having a young kid means I don’t get much sleep once I do get to bed after the final whistle’s blown. For a good number of years I’ve watched out of blind devotion. It’s been truly horrible.

This season, I’ve really enjoyed it. Win, lose or draw - I see a squad I increasingly care about, a squad - and manager - that cares about our club, an emerging style of play (or at least, a desire to play that style) and a bright future.

If you had to sit on one side of the fence, have you ENJOYED this season, yes or no?

Either way, why?

Fair play to you, that’s true commitment.

I have, I like that (for once) we have a clear plan & we have stuck to it & the pipeline from the Academy has gone from being one or two to really significant numbers.

Although it looks like it has paid off for Huddersfield, many of the clubs near the bottom are on to their third manager this season to virtually no effect.

I like that we are sticking with Pearson & seeing what giving someone the length of their contract, not a matter of weeks, can achieve.

Edited by GrahamC