IGNORED

Have you enjoyed it, or not?

SydneyCity

Thoroughly enjoyed this season - we are now good to watch, can see progress been made and all with our own players (no loans). The only frustration has been the number of ridiculous, totally avoidable mistakes made early on in the campaign, without which we'd be around the playoffs now, With Scott and a few others moving on the next window will be crucial - my worry for the next year or two is our Board - they need to get Nige's contract extended and back him in the window (assuming we will be clear of FFP issues).

COYR!

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

I've certainly enjoyed it since Christmas. Before that it was very hit and miss and some really abject performances.

In Nigel Pearson we have, at last, got a proper experienced manager. He has a long term vision which is starting to bear fruit.

He has had to deal with an awful lot of problems left by the previous regime and also Covid. I actually think he relishes the fact that he has had the opportunity to do a root and branch clear through the whole club and re build it. With it we now have a club and playing staff all pulling in the same direction.

He has got rid of anybody who's "not on the bus". He's also not worried by how much a player costs. Its all about the team. With this ethos we now have a hard working, and mobile team. He is demanding and expects nothing less than 100%.

I like his honesty and I also like the way he manages the players.

The future is very positive.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Loved it.

Think we are moving in the right direction.  Getting lots of out players too, who seem tight knit.

My view as well. 

We won some, we lost some, we drew feckin' loads, but there's that movement in the right direction which has been a long time coming: some very capable and promising young players, next-to-zero dead wood, no panicky buys and even improving performances from some of the older pros.

At times we've played some sublime stuff and at times we've looked lost, but adding the first bit has been an improvement on the last few seasons, and many of the games we didn't win - like yesterday - have been entertaining contests.

All achieved with a weather-eye on FFP and debt mountains. And with a very small squad.

As you say, Fevs, there seems a great bond within the camp as well, which is the sort of thing a good manager can help with. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

Living in Australia, I have to stay awake till an ungodly hour to watch games.

I don't know how you do it. Fair play. I was in Australia for the Man City match - which was an evening ko at quite a respectable Australian early morning time - and that felt like an effort!

I'm enjoying what's happening down at the Gate enough to have bought a season ticket for next season, having given it a miss this year. I think Pearson knows what he is trying to achieve, and how to achieve it and in fairness to the Lansdowns he's seemingly being allowed to get on with it. (Is it notable that we've not heard much from the owners lately?)

As for next season - yesterday's match suggests things could be good. Tight squad playing for each other - and playing well - and lots of local talent coming through. What's not to like?

As others have said; this side of Boxing Day has been good. We now have a set formation that the players understand and seem to enjoy.

The REGULAR mistakes seem to have been sorted (every team makes the occasional mistake).

Our worst result, 3-0 away to Birmingham was some time ago. That result apart, the heavy beatings seen under LJ and DH appear a thing of the past.

The late goals conceded that have cost us so many points have also dried up. This team now appears much stronger mentally; and able to see a game out.

Whilst drawing with Boro was not ideal; we held out when they were going all out for a winner.

In summary, YES, it has been enjoyable !

6 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

Living in Australia, I have to stay awake till an ungodly hour to watch games. Having a young kid means I don’t get much sleep once I do get to bed after the final whistle’s blown. For a good number of years I’ve watched out of blind devotion. It’s been truly horrible.

This season, I’ve really enjoyed it. Win, lose or draw - I see a squad I increasingly care about, a squad - and manager - that cares about our club, an emerging style of play (or at least, a desire to play that style) and a bright future.

If you had to sit on one side of the fence, have you ENJOYED this season, yes or no?

Either way, why?

When I lived and worked abroad, I became more proud to be a Bristolian than previously. I missed the connection and realised what we really have. It's often the case, that you don't realise how good it is, until it's gone. 

Certainly with the Club. 

So I certainly understand your circumstance and devotion. 

I've enjoyed more this season than I haven't. Whilst some results were frustrating there were always some positives. 

I've always been interested in youth player development and looking for rough diamonds to develop. 

So for me, the past few seasons have been a joy...as the emergence of youth from the academy into the first team has been remarkable. 

A quality and quantity like never before. 

The whole set up, way of playing, players scouted,  pathway, loans out, development into first team, blooding, seeing them do so well etc etc etc. 

The whole Club is of interest now. 

Getting rid of the dead wood and creating a club all pulling in the same direction. Wanting to be here and fight. No prima Donna's. ...players all wanting to help one another. 

Seeing the determination, working for one another. 

The club is now widely praised and many fans from other clubs praise our football and work rate. 

My only sadness, is not seeing all the development come to full fruition together. 

A front line of Bell, Conway, Semenyo,  with Scott sat behind, with a couple more seasons together would have been my dream. 

It really is a joy to watch the whole club develop, not just the first team. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Poles apart from the last few years. It’s been nice to watch a seemingly committed bunch of players play some reasonably entertaining football and see genuine progress. 

Yep, a genuine direction and style being seen, with locally produced youngsters and it's damned entertaining as well.

I see real reasons for hope now which I haven't seen for a number of seasons.

Edited by Ska Junkie

I've enjoyed it, I look forward to going now when there was a time that it became a chore including times under Pearsons reign. We seem to have a tight knit squad now and some great youngsters coming through. Crowds have been consistently good, we had the 4th highest in the division yesterday. I feel we can have a go at threatening the top 6 next season ?

• Like 1

I know we had a couple of covid affected years but even so this is the first April I’m already looking forward to next season for years.

The past few seasons it’s been hard work parting with my money at this time of the year for next season’s season ticket.

This year I’m already counting the weeks until the fixtures are released. It won’t go down as a classic season but definitely one full of hope.

2 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

I've absolutely loved it. 

I came out of coaching about 3 years ago having really lost my love for the game and it affected my interest in City. I still attended when I could and got hyped for big fixtures but the levels of engagement with the club were probably as low as they've been since my first season aged 6. 

This season I've really fallen back in love with the game and that's entirely down to City. A manager to believe in, a team that visibly gives a shit and an ideology I am fully invested in at the club. The unwillingness to risk our financial security chasing a pipedream and cutting our cloth to be run in a way that all clubs should be. The promotions for Tinnion, the sight of second generation City boys like Belly coming through, TC, Scott, Pring, Vyner and Max showing they are championship standard and beyond, Wells growing into a leadership role and having the privilege of watching Matty James play football. 

I don't think I've ever been as in love with my club and I genuinely think things are only going to improve from here. It feels like whatever the end of Pearson looks like, his legacy will be something we all look back fondly on in decades to come, much like Leicester. 

Up the ******* City. ❤️

Great post fella

after the lincoln game i vowed i wouldnt buy another ticket this season, i havent had the time or money to go recently but have been itching to get back since february. ive always wanted NP to be given the duration of his contract as i believe hes the best weve had since dicks, things are looking good and hopefully,if all goes well, he will stay on a bit longer

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

From a purely statistical point of view it looks like a bang average season, and in many ways it has been - mid table is mid table at the end of the day. But it's the direction of travel and the emergence of an exciting young team rooted in the academy, playing very good football, that has elevated this season beyond the statistics I think. Plus of course an enjoyable cup run culminating in a high profile game against Manchester City, where we gave a great account of ourselves. Massive summer coming up - working on the assumption that Scott goes, I'm excited to see how much of that money is reinvested in the team, and who we buy.

For me the biggest negative has been the massive downgrade on our kit supplier that has made us look cheap at a time when everything else about the club feels like it's on the up.

Thanks @ChippenhamRed for writing my thoughts. 

This is the first time for many years, apart from Cotts time here, that we are a real football club again. The impact that Pearson,Tinnion and Gould have had is so welcomed after the shambles of the previous four / five years. The fact that we have been giving the Academy boys, a chance at league level in OUR FIRST TEAM RATHER THAN A LOAN AT SOME FOURTH DIVISION OR NATIONAL LEAGUE, where that were getting sub appearances and nothing in our first team.

We haven't won any trophies this season but all players and coaches have shown us that we can win matches without spending thousands of £ on transfer fees and wekkly wages. And without having forty five players in the first team squad.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Swede said:

I've certainly enjoyed it since Christmas. Before that it was very hit and miss and some really abject performances.

In Nigel Pearson we have, at last, got a proper experienced manager. He has a long term vision which is starting to bear fruit.

He has had to deal with an awful lot of problems left by the previous regime and also Covid. I actually think he relishes the fact that he has had the opportunity to do a root and branch clear through the whole club and re build it. With it we now have a club and playing staff all pulling in the same direction.

He has got rid of anybody who's "not on the bus". He's also not worried by how much a player costs. Its all about the team. With this ethos we now have a hard working, and mobile team. He is demanding and expects nothing less than 100%.

I like his honesty and I also like the way he manages the players.

The future is very positive.

By the way. Can't understand how anybody can be so petty as to respond with a "flames" on this particular thread. Very negative. I've noticed a few, pretty tiresome but heyho. Perhaps there are a few unhappy people out there.

I have enjoyed portions of the season, others not so much. We are starting to become a bit more consistent but the inconsistency which plagued us earlier this season was damn frustrating.

Similarly with the squad, some players I enjoy watching and others I find to be just occupying a position that needs addressing in the summer.

Overall, it's been an enjoyable season and certainly since the turn of the year we've been great to watch. We have a style and we have some fantastic young players.

We are in so much of a better place now than we were twelve months ago.

The tidying up has been completed. The wage bill is down, and we are moving in the right direction both on and off the pitch.

The core of the squad is made up of young, hungry and talented players who have come through our academy and are committed to the club. Yes, we will almost certainy lose Alex Scott in the summer but I wish the lad every single success. He almost certainly knows his future will be in the premier league but he's not lost his focus. I'm sure we can think of other players in the past who have had their heads turned and pretty much downed tools.

Definately a season to look back on with a smile.

• Like 1

Was a bit hit and miss before Christmas but the major developments then were behind the scenes. NP had a clear idea of the direction he wanted to go, the backroom and playing staff that needed to go/stay and the style of play he wanted.

Then it all clicked after the WBA game and since then very enjoyable if not a bit frustrating as I don't think we've always had the decisions/luck we've deserved and we quite easily could be sitting 10 points better off. Momentum and positivity are so important in the success of any team and we have started to get it.

Excited about next season but sad that it will be without Scott. Very important transfer window to improve the quality of squad without negatively impacting the togetherness.

Really believe we can do top 6 next year.

• Like 1

Tins should take a lot of the credit, he keeps producing players from the academy that are almost first-team ready who don't take many games to get up to speed. Scotty will be off for millions in the summer but Taylor-Clarke will be a great addition to the midfield once he's gone, and we'll have money to buy players from outside if we need them. Tins and Nige seem to get on and work as a team.

21 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Loved it.

Think we are moving in the right direction.  Getting lots of out players too, who seem tight knit.

You and me both Dave, I think we both have a desire to see a team that comprises of our own academy graduates and more experienced but generally young and hungry players, and for the most part that's what we are getting with more to come.

• Like 1

In a way it is not difficult to be happier considering the overall dross in the last couple of seasons pre NP.

However, what makes it even better is our manager speaks honestly and with a lot of common sense.

The squad appear to be tight knit and very much pulling together.

Brilliant to see so many academy players coming through.

I think it has been a very positive move re Brian Tinnion too. He is a very significant influence on proceedings.

NP sets high standards and the squad is definitely getting there.

Overall much happier with the way things are going and am really looking forward to see how the summer pans out squad wise and then into 2023/4.

I do believe NP will leave a hell of a positive legacy when he finally finishes.

Onwards and upwards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I`d love to have been a fly on the wall in the dressing room after the WBA debacle mind........................................................

If you think in terms of who left in January you might get an idea who the focus of attention was..........

• Like 3