IGNORED

Can we stop singing the one about…

Hartleysbeard

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

The idea was to try offend the player or the away fans and it’s still the same these days - just a lot quieter than it used to be.

That might be a fair enough argument for anti-Gas chants when we play the Gappers, but we haven't met them for nigh-on 10 years so the song is a bit dated now. As well as a bit dirgey and not that witty. 

They are the obsessed ones. For me, sitting watching our games, Rovers are an irrelevance. 

• Like 1

I have 2 boys 12 and 14.I’m 52.

imho songs/chants have always been part of football and I couldn’t believe my luck when I heard “ my old man said be a rovers fan”

I get your point unless you are on the biggest windup ever however as I told my boys don’t repeat what you’ve heard down here at home.sorted

I grew up in the 70’s and 80’s thank god.

Anyway time for my oat milk latte/ tofu surprise with jackfruit for t/and might treat myself to a can of brew dog.

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Whilst this is whataboutery, and two wrongs don't make a right etc, you do make a good point. 

I guess the point of difference is that women have made it clear, through initiatives like HGT, that the undercurrent of sexism has been a barrier to female participation in football for a long time. 

In the face of any criticism of behaviour it makes more sense to try and adjust and understand the others viewpoint than falsely claim victimhood and that PC has gone mad and all the other nonsensical tropes. Clinging to outdated ideas at the detriment of inclusively makes seems illogical to me. 

But we all view football differently, I can't understand getting smashed before the game even kicks off or doing a line at half time. For some it's about seeing their mates, for some it's an excuse to let off steam or be the version of themselves they can't be at home. Others want to watch their team, others want something to moan about, etc etc. Football is different for all of us. I just think when it comes to things like this there are plenty of options for those singing like this that doesn't involve missing out, whereas for those who feel uncomfortable the solution offered several times on the first page of this thread was "don't come then". Think that's backwards.

Great post Percy Pig and  like a lot of your posts.
I want everyone to come to Ashton Gate and feel welcome/inclusive call it what you will.Things have changed and now I have to sit in muted silence when people cry out an atmosphere.As I said previously I take my boys with me.I try not to swear too much when a Lino or Keith Stroud ruins my afternoon but it is football.

I prefer the old days and I make no apology for that.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

That might be a fair enough argument for anti-Gas chants when we play the Gappers, but we haven't met them for nigh-on 10 years so the song is a bit dated now. As well as a bit dirgey and not that witty. 

They are the obsessed ones. For me, sitting watching our games, Rovers are an irrelevance. 

I know several gasheads largely thru the local bowl’s fraternity and to a man they’re all decent guys. One in particular always mentions that where he stands with his mates at the Mem they always discuss City……:cool2: Since we last played them I can’t remember ever discussing the Rovers.

That said there’s one guy just above me who regularly announces how the Gas are doing…………:dunno:

Edited by Robbored

Let's just stop singing altogether agh? Make it more a library that the Lansdown want 

Guess the football been ok lately if this is all the op and others have to koan about 

It's light-hearted release for an hour or so on a Saturday from the shit works we currently live in, lighten up

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Hartleysbeard said:

…(insert current Bristol Rovers manager name here) being a whore?  

This one gets wheeled out every week from the corner of the south stand and it’s an absolute embarrassment that has no place in football stadiums…or anywhere else in fact. It’s abhorrent. 
Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy some of the more good humoured chants levelled at the opposition, but this goes too far for me. Have I sung inappropriate songs at football before? Yes. When I first started attending games as a teenager back in the early 90s I was influenced by what I heard around me and joined in. Do I regret that? Yes. But I was a product of what I was surrounded by…I didn’t know any better.

I now take my own son to watch City and whilst I accept there will be plenty of colourful language for him to hear, I make a point of talking loudly to him when chants like this are happening, in attempt to drown it out. I don’t want him to think it’s in any way acceptable to repeat that chant or think it’s ok to level that accusation, whether in jest or otherwise, at a woman. He is taught to respect women and he calls out misogynistic behaviour when he witnesses it. 

As a club with a successful women’s team and a large number of female supporters, isn’t it about time we stopped this chant? 

Yeah ok, i will stop & ask all others to stop with immediate effect ???

• Haha 2

FWIW I’d rather we didn’t sing any songs / chants about Rovers…they are an insignificance, currently, always?

I’d rather we sang / chanted about City and our players.

On twitter this week someone posted (might’ve been Bristol Post) about the Zak Vyner chant, and whether fans liked it.  For me, it’s shit (from a Bernie Taupin lyrics petesoectuve), but it’s easy, catchy, Zak Vyner likes it and importantly it builds noise and atmosphere.  Therefore it gets my vote, wholeheartedly.

We mocked LJ for his Matty Taylor - “he’s got a song” comment, but in some respects he was right.

Plus I’m sure Tommy Tynan doesn’t really suck a horse’s penis!

2 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

She’s a horse isn’t she?

At least that’s what I tell any kids I take to football ;) 

Kings of Leon - Insects Are On Fire…that’s what I told my two!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

But we all view football differently, I can't understand getting smashed before the game even kicks off or doing a line at half time. For some it's about seeing their mates, for some it's an excuse to let off steam or be the version of themselves they can't be at home. Others want to watch their team, others want something to moan about, etc etc. Football is different for all of us. I just think when it comes to things like this there are plenty of options for those singing like this that doesn't involve missing out, whereas for those who feel uncomfortable the solution offered several times on the first page of this thread was "don't come then". Think that's backwards.

Yes definitely agreed on the whole getting smashed thing. I think that's a pretty toxic culture in itself. Yes you can as a young man go to the football without touching an alcoholic beverage and enjoy it still

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hartleysbeard said:

I’m sure most don’t although some replies here suggest otherwise. But that’s not the point. Casual sexism (whether there’s intent or not) reinforces negative attitudes towards women. That’s why I don’t like it. 

Is it sexist if a women sings it?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

If we were all held to the standards of our youth rather than adjusting and adapting then society would stand still and we'd still be chucking bananas at black players and kicking seven shades of shit out of each other in the open end. 

It is hypocritical, but everything is. Sometimes you learn from mistakes. 

Quite. 
although I contest that it’s not hypocritical to hold your former self to account and expect better of society today.

I know it’s not right and I’m not condoning it but to me it’s just words , the people singing it don’t mean to hurt anyone just part of the learning process of growing up then realising when your older eek did I really say / sing that back then 

• Like 2