IGNORED

City’s toughest player.

Robbored

4 hours ago, Red hot poker said:

Top hard men got to be Norman Hunter  & Gerry Gow   Though Forbes philipson Masters & Gerry Harrison weren’t shrinking violets 

As I'm so old, I will add to those two by nominating Ernest "Ginger" Peacock. 

A Bristolian and even harder than nails as a defender or midfield! What a midfield three in a modern 4-3-3.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Although I never saw him play Ernie 'Ginger' Peacock was the hardest player most of my uncles generation could remember.

Having said that though I recall a programme back in the 70s or 80s where players were asked for the hardest man they ever faced. While Harris, Bremner, Hunter and Souness all got several mentions Mike Summerbee said Mike Thresher. In one of his first games as a young winger for Swindon he came across City's Thresher and said in the first 5 minutes he'd been put in the stand 3 times. 

In my day while the usual suspects, including Gerry Gow, have been mentioned I'd like to add Gordon 'Crunch' Low to the list. 

Oh yes,yes,yes for both the Threshing machine and Denis Law's best man at his wedding.

1 hour ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

Alec 'no prisoners' Briggs (left back).

I think he is the only right footed left back that I've seen at City. Maybe one or two for a game or two, but Alex did it for five years after Thresher retired from kicking Mike Somerville and Stan Matthews.

Brilliant and nostalgic thread.

Edited by cidered abroad

Interesting the regular mention of Galliers in these types of thread.  I wasn’t a regular attendee in his era, but the games I did see, I never saw what many of you did.  I knew his reputation from Wimbledon, just never saw it play out on the park.  Didn’t think he was very good either.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting the regular mention of Galliers in these types of thread.  I wasn’t a regular attendee in his era, but the games I did see, I never saw what many of you did.  I knew his reputation from Wimbledon, just never saw it play out on the park.  Didn’t think he was very good either.

I watched Galliers regularly and I can confirm that he was a very good player (for third tier) and he was a hard man. He was small in stature but flew into tackles. He could also play a bit. You must bear in mind we are talking third tier and not top tier like Gerry Gow was able to do.

• Like 1

Gerry Gow. Before him Bob Kellard. Further back; Mike Thresher.

Reading the history book; In 1899 we had Hammer Clements in defence. Presumably that was his nickname. In the 1930's Cyril Bridge and Peter Cainey even looked like they belonged in prison. From the early 60's John Kurila is described as a "crunching wing half".

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

I watched Galliers regularly and I can confirm that he was a very good player (for third tier) and he was a hard man. He was small in stature but flew into tackles. He could also play a bit. You must bear in mind we are talking third tier and not top tier like Gerry Gow was able to do.

Ta.  As I said I only watched him sporadically, and I couldn’t see what all the fuss was about.  ??

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That’s my recollection as well & I watched every game, home & away back then.

He was part of the last Terry Cooper side with the likes of McClaren, Milne etc, he really wasn’t very good & TC finally left because we weren’t making any real progress in the third tier.

Maybe his role at Wimbledon was just to kick people because certainly he couldn’t play football.

• Thanks 2