IGNORED

City’s toughest player.

Robbored

Although I never saw him play Ernie 'Ginger' Peacock was the hardest player most of my uncles generation could remember.

Having said that though I recall a programme back in the 70s or 80s where players were asked for the hardest man they ever faced. While Harris, Bremner, Hunter and Souness all got several mentions Mike Summerbee said Mike Thresher. In one of his first games as a young winger for Swindon he came across City's Thresher and said in the first 5 minutes he'd been put in the stand 3 times. 

In my day while the usual suspects, including Gerry Gow, have been mentioned I'd like to add Gordon 'Crunch' Low to the list. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, SBB said:

From around his time, Martin Kuhl by an absolute mile. 

He used to go to the same Gym as me in a place called Yateley, which is on the Hampshire/Berkshire border - I think he stayed local, following his time at Aldershot. May still be here.

Anyhow, he was an absolute UNIT - very imposing in the gym, legs like tree trunks, Tattoo's all over the legs and arms and came across as someone you would not want to mess with.

Very personable and had a few chats with him about football, but he's certainly bulked up, post football and as you say - was tough back as a player. 

• Like 1

Gerry Gow is the first player to spring to mind.However, Kellard and Rooks were pretty tough players from the time just before Gow.

Joe Jordan has a well earned reputation for being a hard player, but were I a defender I would rather face Jordan than  Mick Harford !

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

This is a very good point. I think Norman Hunter was more dirty than hard. Dirty and a bit sly. Check out his ding-doing with Franny Lee, Norm would've been (literally) on the ropes in that one, had their been ropes.

It looked a total mis-match but Lee was like a raging bull

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Just saw an article on the BBC sports site highlighting the toughest player of the current PL clubs. Not surprisingly Ron ‘chopper’ Harris got the Chelsea vote and Duncan Ferguson got the vote and both Everton and Newcastle. Billy Bremner got the Leeds vote.

Obviously it’s generational but for me two players would get my City vote. The late Gerry Gow who was the toughest and hardest midfielder I ever saw in a City shirt and Shaun Taylor who although not the most gifted player he was as hard as nails. I remember him colliding at Hillsborough with an opponent at full speed and the sound of the clash could be heard all around the stadium. The opposition player was laid out flat but Taylor just leapt straight back up. I was amazed. He also played ( I use that term loosely) with 100% commitment and was fortunate not to sustain serious injury.

Clearly a huge gulf of footballing ability between Gow and Taylor but both hard bastards in their own right.

John Quigley and Bobby Kellard (who once punched a young Gerry Gow for being lippy)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Mick Harford, any one said Mick Harford yet? Mick Harford, for me. 

Among old pros who played in the 80s and 90s, Mick Harford and Duncan Ferguson are always talked about as the hardest/guys nobody messed with.

The likes of Vinnie Jones and John Fashanu admitted that Harford was by far the hardest of the Wimbledon 'Crazy gang' and Ferguson's stories are legendary. Ferguson started young as well, as a 17 year old at Dundee United he was confronted in a pub by two Dundee fans. He proceeded to knock both of them out, before finishing his pint and moving on. A guy you'd be very careful not to spill the pint of if you were in his local boozer!

• Thanks 1

Got to be Gerry Gow.

Alan Dicks told of an incident in the famous cup win at Leeds when he heard Don Revie on the bench shouting " the number 6 the number 6!" to Billy Bremner to order Bremner to "do" Gerry, a few minutes later AD said Bremner went in for a 50/50 with Gerry with his foot high and studs showing...........only to find out that Gerry had his foot even higher and caught Bremner first and put him on his arse, Johnny Giles rushed over to remonstrate and Gow went face to face with him too.

Reputation counted for nothing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Among old pros who played in the 80s and 90s, Mick Harford and Duncan Ferguson are always talked about as the hardest/guys nobody messed with.

The likes of Vinnie Jones and John Fashanu admitted that Harford was by far the hardest of the Wimbledon 'Crazy gang' and Ferguson's stories are legendary. Ferguson started young as well, as a 17 year old at Dundee United he was confronted in a pub by two Dundee fans. He proceeded to knock both of them out, before finishing his pint and moving on. A guy you'd be very careful not to spill the pint of if you were in his local boozer!

Done the same to 2 burglars he caught in his house... 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

John Quigley and Bobby Kellard (who once punched a young Gerry Gow for being lippy)

I played in the same team as John Quigley for a while, after he had retired from professional football I should add, and, whilst he was still hard on the pitch, he was quite hard and generally unpleasant off the pitch.

Bobby Kellard, in contrast, was a delight to talk to; very friendly and more than happy to reminisce about his football career, both with City and elsewhere - believe it or not, given his perceived persona as a footballer, he ended up in the antiques business.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

It’s all about opinions Ralph - no doubt Taylor was a solid and reliable at CB who scored some important goals for City but he was regularly exposed by quick and tricky forwards in much the same way that Flint was. His footballing ability was limited in my opinion. 

Anyone who remembers Gerry Gow will know how skilled (as well as being as hard as nails)he was. It was only Souness that kept GG out of the Scotland team.

I certainly wouldn’t argue that Gow was the better footballer but Taylor was an incredible defender, very rarely gave the ball away and for me was the most we’ve ever missed a player when he was injured for a good chunk of our first season back in the championship.

He had 3 consecutive player of the year awards at Swindon, including a promotion to the top flight and a season in the top flight, followed by at least 2 maybe 3 for us.

I will accept there was a gap in their footballing ability but saying there was a huge gulf feels a tad hard on Taylor. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fisherrich said:

Norman (bites yer legs) Hunter - brutal but skilful with it. Hell of a player for City.

Glenn (psycho) Humphries and Shaun Taylor - absolute beasts of players. 

Steve Galliers - underrated player IMO. Note Vinnie Jones comments.

@fisherrich, stole my thunder! Good old Norm, Psycho, Stevie Galliers, hard as nails all 3 of them!  Gets my vote!

• Like 2