IGNORED

Watford away match thread

Hertfordshire here we come for first league trip in front of supporters there since 2012.

Pay on the day will not be available. We have sold out a full allocation of 1,996 tickets for the Vicarage Road clash. Please note that Watford operate a turnstile entry system via QR code tickets so supporters are advised that the QR code on the tickets must not be marked or tampered with in any way as this may affect entry into the stadium.

They are three points better off than us and in 12th place in the table.

In November it finished 0-0 at Ashton Gate

On 26 September 2022, Slaven Bilić became their manager on an 18-month contract. Along with his native Croatian, Bilić is fluent in German, Italian and English, while he also holds a degree in law. As a big fan of rock music, he plays rhythm guitar with his favoured red Gibson Explorer and is a member of Rawbau, a Croatian rock band.

In early March they sacked head coach Slaven Bilic after just over five months in charge of the Championship club. The 54-year-old replaced Rob Edwards, who himself only lasted 11 games at Vicarage Road, in September. Watford had won just one of their past eight matches prior to the decision and were four points outside the play-offs.  SB was replaced by Chris Wilder who signed a contract until the end of the season. Recent rumours about his future were refuted by the club: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65252438

Their next manager will be their 22nd in 22 years (not counting caretaker bosses). Longest tenure in that time was Zola with 75 games. Their forum already has a thread entitled ‘first manager next season’ https://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/first-manager-next-season.60176/

Since we last played them they have signed midfielders Matheus Martins and Leandro Bacuna. On deadline day they signed striker Britt Assombalonga on a six-month contract, with an option for a further year. The 30-year-old returned to English football following a year and a half in Turkey with Adana Demirspor.

Tom Dele-Bashiru is out for the rest of the season because of an ankle injury. Fellow midfielder Edo Kayembe is also out for the same period with a calf strain. Their goalkeeper Daniel Bachmann was sent off deep into stoppage time against Huddersfield after picking up two yellow cards in the space of a minute so will be missing, see photo for his second yellow!

Look out for the Vicarage Roadies who are there to meet and greet supporters coming to Watford Football Club on match days. They are a team of volunteer Watford fans who aim to enhance the supporter experience by offering advice and support to all visitors to Vicarage Road. Most of the Roadies have been Hornets for years, the one thing they all have in common is their desire to go that extra mile and give all supporters the best possible match-day experience.

Head to head we have won 37, lost 30 and drawn 31. In the last six games they have lost three, drawn two and won one. In common with us on Monday they drew 2-2 (away at Coventry) having been two up.

Watford were relegated after just one season in the top flight finishing the 21/22 season in 19th place on 23 points, having managed six wins and five draws. They also set an unwanted club record of only managing four clean sheets all season.

NP had a spell at the helm (2019/20) for Watford and can point at a decent win 35% win record.

He had this to say ahead of the game:

Dean Whitestone will referee the game, Whitestone has officiated in only one previous Hornets game this season, the goalless draw against Hull City in December. The Northamptonshire official has been in the middle for 30 league and cup fixtures in the 2022/23 campaign, showing a total of 88 yellow cards and three reds.

Daniel Leach and Rob Smith will be the assistant referees, with Carl Brook the fourth official.

AW pre-match:

Watford guide: https://www.watfordfc.com/news/supporter-information-watford-v-bristol-city

With thanks to Jack Phillips here is his guide for information on tickets, parking, pubs and food for Watford:

Tickets:

Tickets are nearly sold out for this weekend, pricing is as follows:

Adults: £30

Senior 65+: £18

18 and under: £5

Coach travel has sold out for this fixture.

Parking:

Street parking, I'm told, is restricted to residents only, however it's always worth a shot.

Here are some paid match day car parks:

Field Junior School:

Run in partnership with Watford FC, you can book a space by clicking here.

£10

WD18 0AZ, 7-10 minute walk from Vicarage Road.

Watford Grammar School:

Five minute walk from Vicarage Road.

£12

WD18 0AE

Chater Junior School:

Cheaper option at £5.

10 minute walk from Vicarage Road.

WD18 0WN

Pubs (see below too)

The Oddfellows:

*POTENTIALLY CLOSED*

WD18 0RD

Just round the corner from Vicarage Road, approximately a three minute walk.

The Moon Under Water:

A Wetherspoons

WD17 2BS

11 minute walk from Vicarage Road.

15 minute walk, in the right direction, from Watford Junction train station.

Food:

Watford Atria is a 10 minute walk from Vicarage Road, and hosts: Burger King, Costa, Starbucks and Tortilla, with a McDonald's and Taco Bell nearby.

Postcode for Watford Atria: WD17 2UB.

Watford waffle

• The only Englishman to ever become pope, Pope Adrian IV, was born Nicholas Breakspear in Abbots Langley in 1100.
  • Watford has made huge contributions to the printing industry. Rotary photogravure was a technique which was first used in Watford to reproduce very fine, high quality fine art prints and then it went on to be used to produce colour magazines. All the ladies’ colour magazines, like Woman’s Weekly and Woman’s Own, were all printed in Watford, as well as most of the colour supplements for the Sunday newspapers.
  • Melanie C aka Sporty Spice lived in Watford for a spell.
  • Vinnie Jones was born in Watford.
  • England manager Gareth Southgate was also born in Watford.
  • Watford FC played in blue and white until 1959 where it then changed to gold/yellow shirts and black shorts.
  • Ovaltine is manufactured in a factory in Kings Langley, it was the official drink of the 1948 Olympics. It was also carried up Mount Everest by Sir Edmund Hillary in 1953.

Pubs, Indian restaurants and chip shops

The Oddfellows, 14 Fearnley Street, Watford, WD18 0RD, https://www.facebook.com/OddfellowsWatford Unsurprisingly, the closest pub to Vicarage Road is the most popular on match days; 'Oddfellows' on Fearnley Street can get very busy as it offers decent priced drinks, a beer garden as well as a barbecue in the summer. Maybe closed.

The pubs on the High Street lack the atmosphere of other Watford fan pubs but are well worth checking out.

The Moon Under Water, 44 High Street, Watford, WD17 2BS (Spoons) is extremely popular so be sure to get there early otherwise you may have to wait a while to get served. The Moon Under Water welcomes well behaved home and away fans.

Watford’s exclusive away fans pub is Macs Bar, around a five minute walk to the stadium, 14 Fearnley St, Watford, WD18 0RD.

Slug and Lettuce, 66-68 The Parade, Watford, WD17 1AH offer a decent bottomless brunch.

Indian restaurants

If you want a good Indian restaurant try one of these: https://threebestrated.co.uk/indian-restaurants-in-watford

Indian Sizzler, 97-99 Longspring, Watford WD24 6PU

Spice Lounge, 36 Market Street, Watford WD18 0PY

Rabbani’s, 167-169 The Parade, Watford WD17 1NJ

Saffron House, 113 Courtlands Drive, WD17 4HZ Watford, https://saffronwatford.com

Raj Garden 217- 219 Park Avenue, Bushey, Hertfordshire WD23 2DQ https://rajgardenbushey.co.uk

Best chip shops

Codland fish and chips, 117 Courtlands Drive, Watford WD17 4HZ.

Viking fish and chips, 3 Bushey Mill Lane, Watford, WD24 7QT.

Ocean World fish and chips, 209C Queens Road, Watford, WD17 2QH.

https://threebestrated.co.uk/fish-and-chips-in-watford

Wishing the traveling fans a great day out and wherever you are supporting the Robins from enjoy the game and let’s put in a performance to be proud of, COYR!

A7B854AA-30C6-4D3D-B9D6-F091E2649E56.webp

D76EBF76-60D2-4509-B753-8638BE0B8049.webp

E61BDB91-9D0A-40AC-818E-C99B5B2653AE.webp

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7
  • Robin 1
1 hour ago, RUSSEL85 said:

The Watford forum, we at least page one all predict a City win. They are more depressing than us at times.

Whoscored predicting a 2-1 win for City.

If they show the same application as the last three games, I think we can get the win.

Watford last 8 -  Won 1, Drew 3, Lost 4, For 8, Against 10, Pts 6

Last 4 at Home - Won 1, Drew 2, Lost 1, For 6, Against 4, Pts 5

Bookies have Watford odds on and City around 3/1 - generous or canny ?

18 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

They know that if they lose they`ll have to go through the stress of wondering who their new manager will be on Monday

Well the club have said Wilder is staying till the end of his contract when the season is over ..

But not sure anyone trusts them anymore !

We were expected to push for promotion (that includes the club themselves saying we had an excellent squad ) and have failed miserably.

Ofcourse to rub it in our arch rivals are going to be at least in the play offs with our ex manager (although we have a few  as you know !) in charge who fans liked and felt was very hard done by .

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Markthehorn said:

Unfortunately the Oddfellows pub has actually shut down and been boarded up I hate to say .

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/leisure/23453644.boarded-oddfellows-pub-will-search-operator-reopen/

Hope you all have a good and safe journey up .

But not enjoy the game too much !

Although some fans might  like to see Pearson get one over the Pozzos .

If you haven't listened to Pearsons presser, it may be an interesting listen for you, when he speaks about his time at Watford and friendships he made and still in touch with. Think its posted in full above.

• Like 1

Remember a trip to Watford with a big City following in 80’s or 90’s. Arrived late’ish asked a copper which pub was allocated to City and his response ‘take your pick’. City were everywhere in the town centre. 

Was the time a few lads and their wife’s/girlfriends went - somewhat bizarrely - into the ‘hard core’ away sections … remember this both at Watford and Cardiff.

Good day out.

Edited by RedRock
12 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

That draw against Middlesbrough not looking that bad now, they are 5-1 up at home to Norwich not even an hour played 

Makes my pessimism after the game look a bit over the top, ah well I'm sure it won't be the last time they p me off throwing away a lead though I suppose a bit of perspective is called for after most games be it one way or another. 

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Oct - after Cov 0-0 / pre-Brum 0-3

Your the memory man?...........I just watched the highlights of our 2-1 victory in 2007-8 under GJ.  I am pretty good with former players and line ups, but i noted we had a player called Vasko on the bench, and i have no recollection of him.......is there any chance you know anything about him?      

Edited by maxjak
20 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Your the memory man?...........I just watched the highlights of our 2-1 victory in 2007-8 under GJ.  I am pretty good with former players and line ups, but i noted we had a player called Vasko on the bench, and i have no recollection of him.......is there any chance you know anything about him?      

Wasn’t he the Hungarian defender?

40 minutes ago, maxjak said:

You’re the memory man?...........I just watched the highlights of our 2-1 victory in 2007-8 under GJ.  I am pretty good with former players and line ups, but i noted we had a player called Vasko on the bench, and i have no recollection of him.......is there any chance you know anything about him?      

Other than remembering we made a good start to the season, I looked in the same place as EA below!

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Screenshot_20230415-095817.png