IGNORED

Ross McCrorie signed - Confirmed

AshtonRobin21

7 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Unfortunately we all know that there are some city fans both on here and social media who will write him off as a bad signing before he has kicked a ball. 

How would people feel if he was having the same impact at a League 1 club, captain, mainstay , talisman etc? 
Would 2 million quid seem like value for money then? 
In today’s climate it feels like a lot of money to me but I trust in Nigel, Tinnion and the club and if the bloke gets us promoted then it will be peanuts. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Unfortunately we all know that there are some city fans both on here and social media who will write him off as a bad signing before he has kicked a ball. 

Would it be ok if we get the Mods to copy and paste this post on to every thread about signing a player?

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

How would people feel if he was having the same impact at a League 1 club, captain, mainstay , talisman etc? 
Would 2 million quid seem like value for money then? 
In today’s climate it feels like a lot of money to me but I trust in Nigel, Tinnion and the club and if the bloke gets us promoted then it will be peanuts. 

Good morning Major.

Of course, this fella could well turn out to be a quality addition to the ranks - even without the unlikely scenario of promotion.

As regards scouting & recruitment??

The jury is surely still out.

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

The jury is surely still out.

Tanner, Atkinson, James, King, Sykes, Naismith, Cornick, Mehmeti.

For me the jury is still out for the last two until they have had a pre-season with us. Otherwise I would suggest that the jury's verdict would be favourable.

• Like 13
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

15 hours ago, BLRed said:

Not questioning his ability, more simply the money we are potentially spending when it has long been stated we wouldn’t be paying out big money for players.

the point on Bellingham fair enough but he potentially has a much higher ceiling and sell on value given his age but I get the point you’re making 

This isn’t a big money transfer.

10 minutes ago, KegCity said:

This isn’t a big money transfer.

Relatively for where we have been in the last few years, it definitely is.

You have to go back to August ‘19 for us to have paid a fee as large as this & although Atkinson is said to be £1.6m we have absolutely no idea how much of that is based on clauses.

This chap is £2m up front with another million based on clauses, that’s a really significant sum for us these days.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Scottish media overplaying the fee, makes it look better for Aberdeen fan’s disappointment in him going.

FWIW I’ve heard:

• £2m + add-ons
  • £2m which includes add-ons

I’m surprised it’s that high, but he’s under contract til summer 2026 and that helps Aberdeen push the price up.

I think we need to stop thinking £x million for a utility player and think £x million for a CB, £x million for a CM, £x million for a RB.  If the people that count think he’s an upgrade on what we have in one position it’s just a bonus he can play in other positions.  That how I see it anyway.

I was given the impression it was the latter of those scenarios Dave, albeit that would only be via 2nd or 3rd hand information from people who are not involved in finances.

From what I have seen and heard, he reminds a little of Rob Newman who could be useful anywhere on the pitch. I can understand why some Aberdeen fans might not be so worried about him leaving, as sometimes moving around like that can stifle your development. In Robs case he went to Norwich and settled into one role there and did really well.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I was given the impression it was the latter of those scenarios Dave, albeit that would only be via 2nd or 3rd hand information from people who are not involved in finances.

From what I have seen and heard, he reminds a little of Rob Newman who could be useful anywhere on the pitch. I can understand why some Aberdeen fans might not be so worried about him leaving, as sometimes moving around like that can stifle your development. In Robs case he went to Norwich and settled into one role there and did really well.

Another Biff’ll do me

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

30 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Relatively for where we have been in the last few years, it definitely is.

You have to go back to August ‘19 for us to have paid a fee as large as this & although Atkinson is said to be £1.6m we have absolutely no idea how much of that is based on clauses.

This chap is £2m up front with another million based on clauses, that’s a really significant sum for us these days.

£1.6m was the initial fee (or as near as damn it anyway), as Tanner was around £300k and the 20/21 accounts showed net cashflow out after the end of the year as follows:

IMG_7540.thumb.jpeg.9e8ec9f23c6b6d56f4ced14614dfae8d.jpeg

the actual accounts for 21/22 showed intangible assets acquired of £2.26m which included a small amount of free transfers but their signing on fees.

• Thanks 2

The thread on him on Aberdeen's forum is interesting. When he signed a new deal last year they were all buzzing at how good he was saying he was a future captain and Scotland international. 

Then when reporting began that he was going to leave them and sign for us, he suddenly became anywhere from "average" to "shite". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The thread on him on Aberdeen's forum is interesting. When he signed a new deal last year they were all buzzing at how good he was saying he was a future captain and Scotland international. 

Then when reporting began that he was going to leave them and sign for us, he suddenly became anywhere from "average" to "shite". 

And suddenly being "ex Hun" was a problem I noticed.

35 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Does the financial year end 31st May or 30th June for FFP?

31st May for us…aligned to our annual accounting period.

All (*) clubs have an annual period of either 31st May, 30th June or 31st July, and their FFP is aligned to that.

* if a club doesn’t have their annual accounts in one of those three months they will need to produce an interim set of accounts that does meet one of those three ends.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SBB said:

Post reporting fee is £1m up front with a further £1m in add-ons 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-transfers-live-mccrorie-8495405

I think thats much more realistic than the 3m being rumoured.

It looks like the club are doing a good bit of business this window with Dickie said to be under 1m.

And if we can add Bryan for free, it would be brilliant.

• Like 6

On 03/06/2023 at 19:49, Davefevs said:

Just for context, Nige paid £1.6m for Rob Atkinson after 1 season at Lg1.

It wouldn’t surprise if the fee is around this mark as an initial fee.  From a financial climate perspective I think we are using Semenyo money and the fact that next season’s wage bill will be lower again (maybe considerably) with the likes of Kalas, Massengo, Moore, Dasilva going, plus the likes of Bentley, Klose and Martin, who of course went in Jan.  I reckon that’s £100k p.w (£5m) freed up.  Yep, we then went and got Cornick and Mehmeti…but we’ve eased away from austerity by taking the hit on Antoine and probably a few points lost as a result for the option to be proactive NOW.  There will be several clubs waiting to sell before they can start playing the game.  We look to have stolen a march on several of our competition.

FWIW I too am a little surprised it’s as high as it is.

Plus the significant amortisation savings from their departures, Baker and his final year which we rightly kept paying despite his sad retirement also off the books.

Yep we've worked as a club very hard to get into this position of relative comfort and a little bit to spend too. Shown significant market discipline plus of course the Semenyo hit that you mention.

Accelerating the departures too of Bentley and Massengo plus I assume partial payoffs for Klose and Martin also will have helped- although short term hit to depth but we were heading towards midtable anyway.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous