IGNORED

Ross McCrorie signed - Confirmed

AshtonRobin21

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I had him down as CB or CM, but I’m starting to think @GrahamC might be right about RB.

I honestly don’t think the plan is to go to a back three though.

FWIW when McCrorie played CB in 21/22 he played mainly as the LCB (previously rumoured target David Bates as the RCB) of the pair.

I think we will see more clarity when we hear the resolution of Kalas’s contract.  I think he’s off.  And I think between:

Tanner, McCrorie, Vyner, Dickie, (Atkinson), Naismith, Pring and hopefully Roberts we have enough for a back four with plenty of flexibility.

Assuming Roberts signs and Kalas goes, it will be interesting to see if any other defensive targets start being rumoured.

Its all good debate though.

So it seems like we'd like to sign both Roberts and Kalas? So if Kalas doesn't sign then we would still be in the market for another CB which aligns to what I believe we need. 

I'd go back to my suggestion of Kipre if Kalas doesn't sign. West Brom are in a complete mess and it seems they will be having a fire sale this summer so he should be affordable for us.

2 hours ago, Jasper Testimitanu said:

Haha, there’s me thinking I’m a creative genius. Any chance we can split the royalties? I need the money for my season ticket ??

Mate if there are any royalties you can have them all and I hope it covers the cost, I'm half an ocean away so don't have an immediate need for a season ticket shall we say 

Geeze some scottish fans are very weird. Had a look at Aberdeen forum. Few belittling comments as always. Another club ignorant of the fact we attract more fans than them and have better players than them.

I find it funny how scottish clubs always spin transfers to England. Its always "The standard of the championship is shit because we sold them a player and they are performing well" No logical thought process that McCrorie playing in a better side would make him a better player. 

Looking forward to seeing two new central defenders play.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

At time of posting, the Love Island tweet announcing the signing has 3.2m views. Maya Jama retweeted it (despite her admitting her family are Gas) and got another 1.8m views.

For all that we complain about the content being cringey, there's no doubt that it has an audience.

I'm pretty sure that 2m of those views were me...

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

At time of posting, the Love Island tweet announcing the signing has 3.2m views. Maya Jama retweeted it (despite her admitting her family are Gas) and got another 1.8m views.

For all that we complain about the content being cringey, there's no doubt that it has an audience.

As someone on here posted previously, the Club’s social media is geared for a certain demographic, i.e. young.

I share your view that much of it is ‘cringy’, but I am no longer young so, manifestly, I am not the audience our social media team is trying to reach.

I have never watched an episode of Love Island, nor TOWIE or any of the similar reality TV shows, nor do I ever intend to, but if a youngster is drawn in by the Club’s social media sufficiently enough to ask his or her parents for a season ticket (See, showing my age again, as I believe they are now season cards or even digital?), or even a replica shirt, then the Club’s social media campaign can be considered a success.

Mind you, that Maya Jama girl is very attractive, isn’t she?

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

12 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

As someone on here posted previously, the Club’s social media is geared for a certain demographic, i.e. young.

I share your view that much of it is ‘cringy’, but I am no longer young so, manifestly, I am not the audience our social media team is trying to reach.

I have never watched an episode of Love Island, nor TOWIE or any of the similar reality TV shows, nor do I ever intend to, but if a youngster is drawn in by the Club’s social media sufficiently enough to ask his or her parents for a season ticket (See, showing my age again, as I believe they are now season cards or even digital?), or even a replica shirt, then the Club’s social media campaign can be considered a success.

Mind you, that Maya Jama girl is very attractive, isn’t she?

She is an extremely comely wench indeed.

On 07/06/2023 at 13:15, glynriley said:

Wow, more nonsense. are you Edward Lear...?!

Your last sentence applys to virtually every player in our squad bar Scott.

So you want me to differentiate him from our other players? Ok.. 

In a back 3 he tends to position himself between the two nearest players as you would in a back 4, the right sided CB in a back 4 will sit between the right back and the left sided CB. Vyner does this and this is why he's better in a back 4, however, you put him in a back 3 and when the RWB is higher up he tends to float closer to the central CB of the back 3 leaving a space for players to run into. Again, it can happen in football, but with Vyner I'm yet to see him play a full 90 minutes with a back 3 without doing this meaning of becomes a point of interest from the opposition as they see it opening up space for them to run into. 

I never watched every game of the season, but I watched a lot and I picked up on it earlier in the season and noticed that his performances were best when Sykes would sit deeper when we were attacked. When Sykes pushed forward Vyner would gravitate to the middle man more and that coinsides with him being played in the middle and the left side. Pearson obviously see this issue as he was moving Vyner around and what followed up when that didn't work out? He tried a back 4 with Tanner next to Vyner. As soon as we switched to 4 at the back we went 9 games unbeaten and Vyner got a lot of praise for turning his game around at that point but that was because Tanner sits deeper naturally, so Vyner would have good positioning guided better as he had the left CB and Tanner to position off of. 

You can say I'm speaking nonsense all you like, you can try to belittle my assessment but the fact is the second Vyner had a man to his right side to help prevent his lack of focus on his positioning we went on a 9 game unbeaten streak which turned the season around from the big drop we'd had. 

The first game we lost after starting that steak was to Man City, a potential triple winning team this season. We then lost to Cardiff in a piss poor show by all and our next loss after that was against Luton where Sykes had to play alongside Vyner again and was pushing higher than Tanner does and saw Vyner come out to make some tackles that opened us up and who was responsible for Luton scoring a free header due to poor positioning? Vyner, we lost 1-0.

I could keep going on but I think I've made my point in that Vyner is a liability as he can't position himself without help. He is naturally pulled too central when his full back isn't close enough and whilst that happened all too often in the back 3 it still happened in the back 4 too. I would take either of our new signings starting over him, I would take Atkinson starting over him and if we were playing a back 3 I'd have Atkinson, Dickie and McCrorie or even have Pring on the left, Atkinson in the middle and Dickie on the right if McCrorie is playing DM. 

As I've said multiple times before, Binders determination, his spirit, his drive, all fantastic, I like him as a person but as a footballer if we want to push for the play offs he has a weakness in his game that has been there as long as he's been at this club and I don't see it changing and the fact that Pearson moved him around and then went with a 4 at the back when he couldn't get Vyner to work in the back 3 validates my opinion and is probably further backed when he's now gone out and made his first two signings center backs who either have a lot of experience or have come from an over achieving team. 

• Like 1

@Spike I actually agree with lots of the above.  The thing I think (my view only) the thing you may have mis-diagnosed is that Vyner has turned into a leader, through the learning alongside Naismith and King.  And it’s him setting his RB’s position, not t’other way around.  It’s him setting Pring’s position (a newbie at LCB2).

What it would be interesting to see is if Vyner played in a back three now as the RCB3 would he take that learning and leadership into it?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@Spike I actually agree with lots of the above.  The thing I think (my view only) the thing you may have mis-diagnosed is that Vyner has turned into a leader, through the learning alongside Naismith and King.  And it’s him setting his RB’s position, not t’other way around.  It’s him setting Pring’s position (a newbie at LCB2).

What it would be interesting to see is if Vyner played in a back three now as the RCB3 would he take that learning and leadership into it?

I mean it's an interesting view, I don't see him as a leader though, I see him more as a favoured player. What I mean by that is the younger players like him and I get why, he's a really nice guy and the mental side of his game is great, he's very resilient but I think his positioning Pring was more a case of Pring is much better at adapting to new positions and so it makes sense that Pring would adapt to Vyner rather than vice versa. I think Pring would do fine in a back 3 with Dickie and Atkinson, I'm not sure about Vyner though, I think the issues I mentioned would still happen.

I mean, either way, he's improved, my annoyance was people voting for him as player of the season based on his improvement and not his overall performance. Looking back on the earlier part of the season he was a problem, one that Pearson obviously identified and worked around as he was the only option. Now he's having a summer to fix that issue and has already signed Dickie and looked at others. I think it's safe to say if he felt Vyner was a fantastic CB he wouldn't be looking at the players he has been.  For me Vyner is a backup player and I still maintain a back 3 with Vyner will only bring back the same problems. I think Pearson would be smart to keep the 4-3-3 or at the very least a back 4 even if he switches up the midfield and attack. 

Going back to the Leadership, if I concede that he is a leader and that is in fact the case then I still do not feel comfortable with the idea that the leader in our defence is one with a real positioning issue as that means the other players need to do more in order to get the best out of Vyner, I think success comes when every player can be trusted to do their role so when a team put some extra pressure on what they identify as a weakness the player isn't overwhelmed there. I did mention it in another thread but if I was managing a team playing against us and I saw Vyner in a back three, I'd be encouraging my left back to sit deep so that out right-wing back pushed up and I would double up on Vyner with a midfielder drawing him out and a wide player looking to exploit the space it creates because when Vyner seems a man in front of him and has no-one around him to attack the ball carrier he runs out to them rather than holding up and sitting back to allow our midfielders to get back and help and that's where teams were getting success against us, Sykes was high up the pitch, Vyner would follow the central CB too closely and then run out to tackle which left huge gaps behind him to exploit.

36 minutes ago, Spike said:

he's improved, my annoyance was people voting for him as player of the season based on his improvement and not his overall performance

I wasn’t annoyed, but I didn’t vote for him either, along similar lines to you.

In fairness there are very few CBs in the Champ who are comfortable in the channel against a runner in behind a pushed up Full-back. I think you are being over-critical of him, and I think you’d see similar issues with most at this level, bar the top-drawer CBs.  Gyokeres and Coventry play exactly to that method…and he’s scored against a lot of teams this season.  Osho at Luton one of a rare breed of small, athletic but aggressive defenders to keep him pretty quiet.

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I wasn’t annoyed, but I didn’t vote for him either, along similar lines to you.

In fairness there are very few CBs in the Champ who are comfortable in the channel against a runner in behind a pushed up Full-back. I think you are being over-critical of him, and I think you’d see similar issues with most at this level, bar the top-drawer CBs.  Gyokeres and Coventry play exactly to that method…and he’s scored against a lot of teams this season.  Osho at Luton one of a rare breed of small, athletic but aggressive defenders to keep him pretty quiet.

I mean, again, that's fair, I do respect your opinions as you word them well and make fake assessments. Maybe I do judge him unfairly but I judge him the same as all our other CB's and he's the only one I see making the same mistakes consistently unless he's backed up by extra support that the others don't seem to need. 

I certainly don't think he should be a leader when some of the younger lads are already better than him at his own position. I think a leader should have the natural talent and leadership qualities. 

8 minutes ago, Spike said:

I mean, again, that's fair, I do respect your opinions as you word them well and make fake assessments. Maybe I do judge him unfairly but I judge him the same as all our other CB's and he's the only one I see making the same mistakes consistently unless he's backed up by extra support that the others don't seem to need. 

I certainly don't think he should be a leader when some of the younger lads are already better than him at his own position. I think a leader should have the natural talent and leadership qualities. 

I don’t think we are a million miles apart in our views.  Like you, I think he’s made huge improvements this season, but it’s from a lower starting point…and I think people cut him more slack because of that.

FWIW I now think he’s a perfectly capable Champ CB, he’s not top-end.  I don’t think he’s as good as our other CBs either.  If Kalas had been fit….would’ve been interesting wouldn’t it?  But he wasn’t so Zak took his chance.  He’s not making mistakes any more.  You can attribute that to others or give him some credit for it.  I prefer to think he took on board from Naismith and King and took personal responsibility for taking that into his own game.  If you want to think it’s all down to others that fine.  Imho that feels rather harsh, but its cool if we disagree.

I think we are apart of “leader”, I’m talking more communicator, setting the line, stuff like that…not captain-type stuff per se.  Who are the young lads better than him in his position (Atkinson is the only younger CB)?

• Like 3

It was interesting to see that Nige has confirmed that McCrorie and Roberts have been brought in as full backs to challenge Tanner and Pring.

Nige also dispelled the myth that he favours versatile players: “Players can suffer sometimes by being versatile...”

Source: The Post

• Like 1