IGNORED

Ross McCrorie signed - Confirmed

AshtonRobin21

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Not saying you are saying this but I think there is a school of thought out there that says versatile means “Jack of all trades, but master of none” and probably harps back to the day (not sure of your age) to the likes of Mike Duxbury at Man Utd.  In the days of eleven plus one sub (maybe two subs) when it was more applicable to talk about “best eleven” (even I did!), a player like Duxbury was the type of player who wasn’t good enough to start but could play in multiple positions, hence useful cover for injury subs (more so than tactical subs) per se.  He was the epitome of the “utility man” which is how I think some are seeing McCrorie.

I honestly don’t think Nige would sign any player for a fee and of peak age if he wasn’t good enough to nail down one position in the team.  What we don’t know is what that position is.  And (not being rude), who cares if that could be two or even three positions in our team.  If he’s better than what we have (or at least as good as what we have, ie provides strong competition) at RB, CB, or CM, does it matter that he can play other positions too, if that benefits the team that heads out onto the pitch?

I don’t see us moaning (well, maybe a few do) that Alex Scott can play CM or AM and differing roles within them?  I don’t see a problem that Kal Naismith can play in defence and midfield and improve us as a unit in either.  I get a bit cheesed off when there is talk of improvement through formation change and no longer playing square pegs in round holes.  Because Naismith (a right winger / forward by trade btw) was signed to play CB and with the formation change he played in midfield, so that doesn’t fit the narrative.

I don’t think we are going back to back three either, but if we do, have people forgotten the football we played at the start of last season when we went unbeaten in 8 (6 league / 2 cup)?  In that run we probably (subjective) played better football than we did in the 13 game unbeaten run after Xmas.  It only came apart when we lost key players.  Same with the 13 game run, it came apart when we lost key players.

I will wait to see how they play in certain set-ups.  It is of course easy to say, x is suited to a back three or y performs better in a back four, but I think a lot depends on the players around them.  QPR were quite an attacking / gung-ho side at times, so perhaps unsurprising their defenders were exposed.  I don’t sit here this morning and recall them having a “protector” sat in front of the CBs in either a four or a three.  We never thought Zak Vyner could play in a pair did we, nor look like a leader there too.  We need to be more open-minded imho.

So what is Nige doing, he’s recruiting more “key players”.  I expect Dickie and McCrorie to join that group of players and give the squad depth.  Roberts, if he signs, will probably be more of a project.

(Re Roberts, the Derby journo asked for his view by Bristol Post said yesterday that Roberts coped with the step up from Lg2 Rochdale to Lg1 Derby, but in fact Roberts loan at Rochdale was in Lg1 also.  They’ve had an awful two seasons of relegation and now are in the NL.  So he’s played 60+ games at Lg1.)

I'm trying to convince myself now we're going to a back 5 next season, but I think we need a LWB cover still even if Roberts signs for that.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Not saying you are saying this but I think there is a school of thought out there that says versatile means “Jack of all trades, but master of none

Seems to be a consensus view from Aberdeen - his strength (apart from physicality/pace & being able to run all day) is the ability to cover multiple positions, with the caveat of being no more than average in all of them - the epitome of utility...

They seem to find it comical that Ross views centre half as his strongest position..

As always, we shall see!

Edited by Son of Fred

2 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Seems to be a strong view from Aberdeen - his strength (apart from physicality & being able to run all day) is the ability to cover multiple positions, with the caveat of being no more than average in all of them - the epitome of utility.

As always, we shall see!

I think he is a bit better than that and being called up by Scotland would indicate that he is a tad above average.

As an aside, we have several players in the squad/first team who are average in just one position, so he is an upgrade in that respect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Yes, I was at that one too!

I am now convinced Ross McC is going to be a great player for us at it will be one of those 'where were you when we signed...' moments ?

Is it too early for a statue next to Atyeo? ?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Seems to be a consensus view from Aberdeen - his strength (apart from physicality/pace & being able to run all day) is the ability to cover multiple positions, with the caveat of being no more than average in all of them - the epitome of utility...

They seem to find it comical that Ross views centre half as his strongest position..

As always, we shall see!

That's the view expressed by a few on their forum who seem seriously hung up on the fact he is a Rangers lad / "hun".

The view from their fans on twitter last night was quite different. Most seemed gutted and think they've lost a class player who they'll really miss. 

• Like 2

We need a player like him who can play Midfield, centre back and full back because of the amount of injuries we get. We can't seriously compete in the top half if we are constantly playing player's out of position due to injuries (for example Pring at CB).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Those are 3 core attributes that will have attracted our attention!!!

Yes, will not have escaped the attention of Nigel - he's a 100 percenter for workrate & has a bit of pace about him.

Hopefully should suit our counter attacking style.

Edited by Son of Fred

37 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Yes, will not have escaped the attention of Nigel - he's a 100 percenter for workrate & has a bit of pace about him.

Hopefully should suit our counter attacking style.

I think Nige’s plan is to continue the evolvement away from a counterattacking style, as we evidenced in the last 1/4 of the season just gone.

• Like 1

And some called Nige a dinosaur. Keep up everyone, positional flexibility (ask Pep ), and also add physical power, stamina, and pace (the basics today- Kompany explained this at our last match of the season), are the current direction. Back to Total Football. Heck, even Ted Lasso worked that out. 

Of course, losing a player with the attributes and ability of Scott can completely change how we can or will play and the impact of any incoming players. Such is his importance and ability to make a difference in the overall footballing result of a  Championship side. A player such as Scott, at Championship level, can be the difference between success and being an also-ran. The most ambitious transfer (or not) City can make is to keep Scott for 12 more months. City need him . He can leave next summer if we are not promoted. Risk and rewards on both sides. 

Solid signings so far in the context of our budget and general club direction. 

Interesting summer.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

11 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

even Ted Lasso worked that out. 

Terrific series - watched it with my 12 year old. Bar the excessive swearing and a few other 'references' which are perhaps too old for his ears really enjoyable!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

6 months to heal and 3 months rehab, roughly. He has always said December(ish).

It makes me wonder (and sorry for the tangent) what might have happened if Cheesley had had access to all the knowledge and facilities available to players today. I guess back then they didn't know what they were doing. Who knows what sort of career he may have gone on to have?

It really goes to show, these sort of injuries are no joke. If poorly treated, they can END careers. So unfortunate how it turned out for Cheese.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, OliOTIB said:

Terrific series - watched it with my 12 year old. Bar the excessive swearing and a few other 'references' which are perhaps too old for his ears really enjoyable!

I thought that would be it….but looks like a new series / spin-off is coming.  Yesterday saw this!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OneCity said:

It makes me wonder (and sorry for the tangent) what might have happened if Cheesley had had access to all the knowledge and facilities available to players today. I guess back then they didn't know what they were doing. Who knows what sort of career he may have gone on to have?

It really goes to show, these sort of injuries are no joke. If poorly treated, they can END careers. So unfortunate how it turned out for Cheese.

I agree and it goes back further, have a look at Brian Clough's playing record and you will wonder what he might have gone on to do on the playing side before he was almost forced into management. I am sure there are many similar tales from the 50's and through to the 90's.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I heard back in January that our contract offer to Vyner was derisory. A very poor offer that he was not happy at all with.

Given his form since then though, I'd be surprised (and disappointed), if we hadn't now made him a much improved offer. 

2 hours ago, lenred said:

If true then it’s great that he pushed on from that disappointment and had a superb second half of the season as opposed to moping about it.  He deserves to be paid properly and hope the club sorts it out sooner rather than later.   

The wildcard here is whether, notwithstanding his good form last season, Nige considers Zak to be part of his “best team” moving forwards. Zak was seemingly on the way out last summer and although he did well, Nige may consider that to be an exception rather than reflective of what he can do moving forwards. Or he may simply think he’s reached a level and we need more to reach the next level.

This isn’t me saying on form Zak doesn’t deserve a new deal. It’s me saying that maybe Zak’s idea of his value if we give him a 3 year deal differs from Niges view over a 3 year period. Particularly with our revised pay structure. If he won’t sign what Nige thinks he’s worth, he’ll either be sold or be frozen out a la Massengo.

The worst scenario would be to give him a vastly improved deal if Nige didn’t see him as the answer long term. The number of defenders we’re buying/being linked with suggests that is a very strong possibility.

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 1
  • Robin 1

20 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The wildcard here is whether, notwithstanding his good form last season, Nige considers Zak to be part of his “best team” moving forwards. Zak was seemingly on the way out last summer and although he did well, Nige may consider that to be an exception rather than reflective of what he can do moving forwards. Or he may simply think he’s reached a level and we need more to reach the next level.

This isn’t me saying on form Zak doesn’t deserve a new deal. It’s me saying that maybe Zak’s idea of his value if we give him a 3 year deal differs from Niges view over a 3 year period. Particularly with our revised pay structure. If he won’t sign what Nige thinks he’s worth, he’ll either be sold or be frozen out a la Massengo.

The worst scenario would be to give him a vastly improved deal if Nige didn’t see him as the answer long term. The number of defenders we’re buying/being linked with suggests that is a very strong possibility.

There was definitely a little shout from Pearson (paraphrased) that said something like “you don’t get a big contract on the back of one season, the reason others are higher earners is because they’ve done it over several seasons”.  That may not have been aimed at Zak, could be Pring, Conway, Bell, whoever.

FWIW I think Vyner will sign an improved and extended deal….he may already have done so, but not yet announced.  Who knows.

2 hours ago, Spike said:

Not at all to both, the fact is any player can make a mistake but Vyner is a liability if he plays on the right side of a back three as he wanders out of position leaving a hole if the RWB is attacking and even in back two he makes dangerous unnecessary passes. 

I mean you both obviously like the bloke, so do I, the difference is I want us to remove the weaknesses from the squad, not give them a pat on the back and say "happens to everyone" when it's not a once or twice situation, it's a frequent thing. There is a reason our fans are hyping Vyner up on his improvement but the footballing world isn't knocking on his door.

Wow, more nonsense. are you Edward Lear...?!

Your last sentence applys to virtually every player in our squad bar Scott.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think Nige’s plan is to continue the evolvement away from a counterattacking style, as we evidenced in the last 1/4 of the season just gone.

Where we started to find form and put in some of our better and more committed performances,

Sitting back just invites pressure so I'm glad we are moving away from it

3 hours ago, OneCity said:

Cheese would have made all the appearances Mariner made for England, and more imo.

• Like 5