IGNORED

Darrell Clarke bites the dust.

Leveller

I’m going to go against the grain here slightly. He was very well thought of up there, but I think their good run of form last season coincided with his leave of absence for his personal tragedy. It might be that the Vale board have noted that and as such what appears to be a harsh sacking may be less so when the results are taken in the round as to when he’s fully been in charge. 

I get the impression the “print that bastard” Clarke was a manager playing up to a particular fanbase. He certainly appears to be well thought of in the game and I’m not of the mind that making dog jokes is the right tone here.

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I like him, wears his heart on his sleeve and has kept going despite immense personal tragedy. 

Good luck to him. 

Agree.
TBF he ain’t a bad manager. Dealt a shit deal in life. Hope he gets another role as the guy really needs a bit of luck in life. 

• Like 1

He’s nothing to do with Rovers now & has endured the worst time personally, I think he’d done a decent job there so even though they’ve gone 7 without a win am quite surprised.

Agree totally that the stuff chucked at him when he was in charge of the few has no place now.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Good luck getting another job i say then, lets see who comes in for him, probably Grimsby or someone like that. That's the best he can hope for

Maybe so, but crap he most certainly is not. I doubt he is expecting a call from teams in the top 2 divisions, but why undermine good honest trade in the lower leagues? 

15 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Let's have it right port vales board got rid, cause he was going to take them down, doesn't take a genius to see that, any manager in the bottom half doesn't get a result in 7, what do you expect,

Six points clear of the drop zone with four to play. Fairly unlikely he’d have taken them down, and as Lampard is proving at Chelsea, sometimes change makes things worse rather than arrests a slide.

It seems to me you don’t like Clarke for his ex Rovers connections - and fair enough. He has, however, got two promotions with smaller clubs from division four and one from division five. His win rate has already been pointed to and it’s not fanciful to say he’s delivering the expectation from the playoff promoted side - avoiding the drop.

On the whole, an unbiased view would say he’d done a decent job there and I think people are saying the timing is odd, particularly when they are, again, very unlikely to go down even if getting no more points. If he hadn’t managed Rovers, I’m not sure you’d be anywhere near as close minded to the stats or vitriolic here.

16 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Let's have it right port vales board got rid, cause he was going to take them down, doesn't take a genius to see that, any manager in the bottom half doesn't get a result in 7, what do you expect,

Firstly, Port Vale currently have 46 points, and, with a home game against Rovers coming up on Saturday, it is quite possible that will be enough to keep them up. 

Secondly, perhaps you might give the poor man a break.

I doubt he reads this forum, but I cannot for the life of me understand why you (and others) persist in persecuting the man who has suffered immense personal tragedy very recently.

• Like 3