IGNORED

Wrexham - Boreham Wood

Port Said Red

Just now, mozo said:

I just find the whole thing irritating 

I would if it wasn't for the fact that they seem to have gone about it in the right way, they started with work in the local community and have invested in the whole area, not just the club. They are honest about how litle knew/know about football but have become passionate about it. They may be Hollywood now, but Reynolds in particular grew up in a proper working class area of the USA and understands those people. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, mozo said:

As do I. Get stuffed Wrectum; why does everyone think this is some sort of rags to riches story a la Oxford or Wimbledon. Just another rich man’s plaything. I find the media fawning all over that club nauseating.

Edited by WessexPest
  • Like 3
  • Confused 4

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yes if only RR had bought a prem team and thrown money everywhere , at least he is playing football manager the most satisfying way . Also being wise enough to get a grant for the new stadium,  yes he spent loads from a non league team but it still isn't easy . 

I much this approach then the idiot that bought chelsea and said we should have no relegation.... one day SL will sell up and I'd prefer getting a RR then Vincent tan... but its just luck of the draw really. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

As with Salford. There's no ffp in non league and they will.be hamstrung the second they go up and won't be able to overspend 

True although their income is massively above most in L2 (and probably L1) - big sponsorships from huge multinationals (TikTok , Expedia etc) and big gate receipts. 

5 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Money will get them so far then they will get fed up

3 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

As with Salford. There's no ffp in non league and they will.be hamstrung the second they go up and won't be able to overspend 

A new 25 million pound stand being added, probably more to come. They have the whole of the North/Mid Wales catchment area to themselves, they have little or no competition when it comes to league clubs, unlike Salford. Wales will be looking to play international games there again and they will get more and more income locally. That along with the kind of sponsorship that the Americans can bring in like Tiktok, they will have plenty to spend.

The fact they are getting a thread on here every time they play, national coverage, being all over social media and has half of football swooning over there is getting annoying already. It's not an underdog story, it's rich owners buying their way out of non league. I actually like RM and RR, they seem like good guys doing stuff for the wider community in Wrexham but I'm already sick of it. 

• Like 6

Would never be able to bring myself to congratulate them. Notts County deserve more congratulations for keeping pace with them all season on a much lower budget.

People love the Wrexham circus. The Hollywood script. If you ask me, paying players the equivalent of high end league 1/low end championship wages makes their promotion far less of an achievement. More about what a failure it would have been had they not got promoted.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

As I've said before, I live nearby and what they've done to revitalise a club and town that was dying on its arse is quite remarkable. I can only congratulate them for that, they've clearly caught the bug and seem to get what it means. And their comments about Yeovil in midweek were a very classy touch.

However, this idea of it being a fairytale and great underdog story is absolute nonsense and it is irritating to see it described as such. The amount of money they're paying that squad means that anything other than promotion would have been a huge failure.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

As I've said before, I live nearby and what they've done to revitalise a club and town that was dying on its arse is quite remarkable. I can only congratulate them for that, they've clearly caught the bug and seem to get what it means. And their comments about Yeovil in midweek were a very classy touch.

However, this idea of it being a fairytale and great underdog story is absolute nonsense and it is irritating to see it described as such. The amount of money they're paying that squad means that anything other than promotion would have been a huge failure.

That's true now, but when you hear the stories of the fans having whip rounds to pay the players less than 10 years ago, that's where the fairytale bit comes in to my mind.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Would never be able to bring myself to congratulate them. Notts County deserve more congratulations for keeping pace with them all season on a much lower budget.

People love the Wrexham circus. The Hollywood script. If you ask me, paying players the equivalent of high end league 1/low end championship wages makes their promotion far less of an achievement. More about what a failure it would have been had they not got promoted.

Money only helps it doesn't guarantee success.

• Like 1