IGNORED

Wrexham - Boreham Wood

Port Said Red

Kinnel...the hypocrisy on this thread is ridiculous. 

Imagine where we'd be if we hadn't had an owner who's ploughed £millions into the club over the years. 

He may not be ' Hollywood '...but still. 

Yes we could have had another owner...but money is essential.

Chelsea and Man City come to mind in recent years as well. 

What's the difference? 

Edited by spudski
  • Like 14

I think the whole “media love-in” thing is interesting - it’s very much a two-way street. You can promote the shit out of a story/event but if people aren’t interested it doesn’t land (and, believe me, we do plenty of that).

The interest in this story has been genuinely phenomenal today though - the traffic some of the content has driven has been extraordinary and blown me away, I guess because it’s a story that transcends sport.

So yeah, just wanted to make that point from a position of actual knowledge - yes, the media have bought in but so has the audience. Why? Because whether you like it or not it’s a good - and pretty ridiculous - story!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Think I have complained about the media coverage they have had in the past which I stand by, 2 people from Hollywood show up and suddenly a 5th tier team become relevant. ?

Also I keep reading people saying they are investing in the community but never any specifics on how or how much which makes me think the slick marketing machine working behind the scenes is very convincing to the people who tend to lap these things up. 

However I like that they have given exposure internationally to the lower leagues when everything is usually prem dominated, and their project is very interesting and I will be watching to see what level they can get up to and also if they can pull off revitalising that area of the country. As already said things will be much more competitive when they hit the top half of league 1 and their commitment and their pockets will need to be much deeper by then I would guess.

Fair play to the Wrexham fans though because 15 years in that division it must have been a great feeling to finally get over the line. Personally I won't mind too much when they overtake Cardiff and Swansea and they are the no 1 team in Wales again. ?

Edited by Baba Yaga

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Kinnel...the hypocrisy on this thread is ridiculous. 

Imagine where we'd be if we hadn't had an owner who's ploughed £millions into the club over the years. 

He may not be ' Hollywood '...but still. 

Yes we could have had another owner...but money is essential.

Chelsea and Man City come to mind in recent years as well. 

What's the difference? 

He certainly isn’t Withywood either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

Also I keep reading people saying they are investing in the community but never any specifics on how or how much

A few examples: 

- They are actively learning Welsh.
- They often engage with the community; be it regularly visiting the pub next to the ground, buying drinks for everyone during special occasions (a few times they have put money behind the bar), often support the women’s football (actually attending Wrexham ladies games), and finally really pushed for equality (ensuring the disabled liaison officer was a paid role, creating quiet zones, ensuring the stadium is wheelchair friendly etc). 
- oh and finally Ryan Reynolds has bought a house nearby too.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I'm think I'm right in saying five and a half, the deva stadium Chester?

Strictly speaking yes. The footprint of the ground straddles both England and Wales as shown below. I recall in COVID due to differing lockdown regulations Chester played games under the English rules but the Welsh government accused them of breaching regulations

8BF57A2E-CD5D-4589-963E-5462582C5D88.jpeg

8 hours ago, The Journalist said:

I think the whole “media love-in” thing is interesting - it’s very much a two-way street. You can promote the shit out of a story/event but if people aren’t interested it doesn’t land (and, believe me, we do plenty of that).

The interest in this story has been genuinely phenomenal today though - the traffic some of the content has driven has been extraordinary and blown me away, I guess because it’s a story that transcends sport.

So yeah, just wanted to make that point from a position of actual knowledge - yes, the media have bought in but so has the audience. Why? Because whether you like it or not it’s a good - and pretty ridiculous - story!

Is that traffic predominantly from within the UK, though, or is there a spike in traffic from North America? 

Just now, tin said:

Is that traffic predominantly from within the UK, though, or is there a spike in traffic from North America? 

Predominately the UK. It’s fair to say the story has done relatively big traffic in North America (last month the Wrexham page was the fourth-most visited by US readers, more than Man City!), but actually BBC audience numbers for sport in the US aren’t that huge in the grand scheme of things.

What is interesting though, as you allude to, is the type of audience coming to the story. Yesterday’s live page was particularly popular with younger readers, for example.

We were also interested in the thumbs up/thumbs down balance on the goal posts. I’d have expected it to be relatively even, a mixture of well wishers and cynical fans who want Wrexham to fail (a bit like on this thread), but there were 3,300 ups v 130 downs on the third goal. That’s fairly unprecedented.

So yeah, I think it just goes to prove this is way more than just a straight football story/run-of-the-mill ‘non-league team wins promotion’ tale. It’s a great news story which the audience has engaged with to a level way beyond my expectations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Journalist said:

Predominately the UK. It’s fair to say the story has done relatively big traffic in North America (last month the Wrexham page was the fourth-most visited by US readers, more than Man City!), but actually BBC audience numbers for sport in the US aren’t that huge in the grand scheme of things.

What is interesting though, as you allude to, is the type of audience coming to the story. Yesterday’s live page was particularly popular with younger readers, for example.

We were also interested in the thumbs up/thumbs down balance on the goal posts. I’d have expected it to be relatively even, a mixture of well wishers and cynical fans who want Wrexham to fail (a bit like on this thread), but there were 3,300 ups v 130 downs on the third goal. That’s fairly unprecedented.

So yeah, I think it just goes to prove this is way more than just a straight football story/run-of-the-mill ‘non-league team wins promotion’ tale. It’s a great news story which the audience has engaged with to a level way beyond my expectations.

Presumably engagement drives advertising revenue which is why there are so many articles about Wrexham. It becomes a bit of a snowball effect.

I feel a bit sorry for Leyton Orient, promoted to L1 but no one is talking about it

7 hours ago, Selred said:

A few examples: 

- They are actively learning Welsh.
- They often engage with the community; be it regularly visiting the pub next to the ground, buying drinks for everyone during special occasions (a few times they have put money behind the bar), often support the women’s football (actually attending Wrexham ladies games), and finally really pushed for equality (ensuring the disabled liaison officer was a paid role, creating quiet zones, ensuring the stadium is wheelchair friendly etc). 
- oh and finally Ryan Reynolds has bought a house nearby too.

Thanks for the info, I don't think speaking with the community with cameras everywhere whilst filming a TV show should be considered too kindhearted on their part. Fair play for other things but lots of owners do similar things without the benefit of it improving their TV series. Just for some perspective I think Reynolds paid 100k for a private jet flight lately so I would argue that most of this is small change to him too.

Learning Welsh is somewhat a token gesture when a very small proportion of Wrexham speak Welsh and they all speak English anyway, but I am sure the locals will appreciate the effort as it plays into their Welsh identity.

Not trying to be negative as these people are skilled actors with a great understanding of showbiz things and are clearly top class at marketing as seen in other areas like the gin company. I probably wouldn't watch the TV show ever so have to concede there is a lot I don't know about it but I am genuinely fascinated how far they can push this project. The hype created is pretty amazing, even a small thing like getting Ben Foster for a few games is genius due to his Internet following.

2 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

I probably wouldn't watch the TV show ever so have to concede there is a lot I don't know about it but I am genuinely fascinated how far they can push this project. The hype created is pretty amazing, even a small thing like getting Ben Foster for a few games is genius due to his Internet following.

I would really recommend having a look at a few episodes. There has only really been one Me! Me! Me! episode. You see a lot of the fans and the pub, see the players and the difference in the "Non League. Interesting to see them coming from knowing next to nothing to being ( literally) heavily invested is great. Building the team and Management , having ground issues and the realisation of just how expensive a Football Club is.

The thing is, most of these shows are better for fans of other Clubs when it all goes tits up ( See Sunderland & Leeds ).. It will be interesting to see a successful end to the Series, and then see if they go on with it. I've really enjoyed the Series

• Like 3

16 hours ago, The Journalist said:

I live by and large in The USA. It is amazing the amount of people who watch this show. Strangely The Sunderland show was very popular here too. 

The Wrexham series comes on top of Ted Lasso, which is a phenomenal hit here as well, which has helped. 

Wrexham is viewed as kind of a feel good rags to riches story, with Sport being slightly secondary, like Lasso. 

What ever people in the UK think, it has put the promotion relegation hierarchy of global football right on the map a concept that bizarrely does not exist in a country that sees itself as a meritocracy. 

The idea that the Chicago Bears could get relegated to be playing the Des Moines Doo Dabers (made that up) is completely alien, as the ownership of the clubs and the league is intertwined in all major sports here. 

Thus people tune in for the gut wrenching experience of promotion and relegation as it’s new. Of course the Hollywood guy (who has multiple businesses and is in the process of selling one for shit tonnes) and the tv guy are part of the hook and were originally the main part, but there are now other hooks. 

WAR GODS WAY OF TEACHING AMERICANS GEOGRAPHY! 

Most people here don’t have a passport and many never leave their own state, living hum drum working class lives and the idea of a crappy bar and a chip van has resonance! With a sprinkling of stardust  or a slice of luck a lot can change and create something to hang onto. That is the Wrexham story here  and Ryan Reynolds (who is super smart what ever anyone thinks) knows it  

Wrexham have supporters clubs popping up all over the place and The club and the City are inundated with Americans many of whom are taking their first trip abroad to see a an industrial wasteland (:laugh:) 

I get some at home are anti, but most of those are just that with anything. 

The massive influence that Lasso and Wrexham have had here and the fact Premier League football is live and free and now championship football is broadcast on ESPN+ has changed the culture of Saturday/Sunday mornings and Tuesday/Wednesday at 2pm is brilliant on so many levels. Even the Welsh government are getting in on the act and throwing money at repairing “the oldest international stadium in the world”…Jobs, something to be involved in and a general feel good factor is not limited to a small town that has not had a lot of luck since before Maggie Thatcher  

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
On 22/04/2023 at 22:31, PHILINFRANCE said:

I assume you are referring to new signings, but they are also undertaking a pre season tour to the USA, where they have friendlies arranged against Manchester UTD and, I think, Chelsea.

Manchester United youth team 

Chelsea XI

39 minutes ago, phantom said:

Manchester United youth team 

Chelsea XI

Well, Yes. Of course.

Nevertheless, and I am aware of the NETFLIX series and the American connection, I just thought it was impressive that they are undertaking a US tour, given their history this last decade or so.

I shall be interested to see what sort of attendance they attract and the demographic thereof.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Super said:

Can't see that happening.

In reality not going to happen, but with the chance to star in a Netflix show for maybe a season it will suit any ego Bale may have

Add to that Wrexham already have a budget of that many leagues above their position I wouldn't be surprised to see anything happen

They are already being linked with footballers out of contract in the Prem this season