IGNORED

Wrexham - Boreham Wood

Port Said Red

25 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

A new 25 million pound stand being added, probably more to come. They have the whole of the North/Mid Wales catchment area to themselves, they have little or no competition when it comes to league clubs, unlike Salford. Wales will be looking to play international games there again and they will get more and more income locally. That along with the kind of sponsorship that the Americans can bring in like Tiktok, they will have plenty to spend.

Maybe you know more about this than me but what is it with TikTok about to be  banned (I know it’s a Chinese company who kinda owns it)and could that effect sponsorship deals 

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

That's true now, but when you hear the stories of the fans having whip rounds to pay the players less than 10 years ago, that's where the fairytale bit comes in to my mind.

This and the fact that the two Hollywood actors chose to buy Wrexham in the first place after everything their fans had been through is the fairytale 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

That's true now, but when you hear the stories of the fans having whip rounds to pay the players less than 10 years ago, that's where the fairytale bit comes in to my mind.

For me, a fairytale story would have been a team earning promotion when the fans were still having a whip around to pay wages and the team were genuine underdogs compared to those around them - not when millionaire owners come in and buy the their way out of the league. 

This is not a fairytale story. This is a typical media love in with popular hollywood celebs doing something unusual. Where has this same level of media attention been shinning this much light on non league football before? 

Enough said...

Screenshot_20230422_210704_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Loco Rojo
  • Like 2
  • Flames 2

Even if you take away all the Hollywood stuff, when I was a kid Wrexham were a staple League One team (and I'm only 30!) so it's a bit weird that quite so much is being made of their promotion to the football league. Isn't this them just getting back to the level they were usually historically at?

Just now, tin said:

I couldn’t give two shits about Wrexham and would’ve preferred the oldest pro club in the world to be back in the English Football League over another Welsh lot. 

Agreed.

FOUR welsh clubs now in the English leagues. They should be in the League of Wales.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

Reynolds is a hyper successful person, business, marketing, acting, etc etc. Some people are just highly highly successful and nail everything they do, he’s one of those people. Don’t get me wrong, he’s set himself up with a good gig for success, but that’s part of the planning. Done a great job and every credit to them.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Super said:

It doesn't.

Another point I forgot to add earlier sorry…

How many other non-league teams do you think would get sponsored by the biggest social media app in the world? As well as a documentary on one of the worlds biggest streaming platform?

Edited by formerly known as ivan

Am I right in remembering when it all started to go financially wrong for them back in the early 2000*s, it was our match at their place they chose to stage a huge protest against their board at? 

Anyway, let them have their moment. Well done and all that jazz and then hopefully Notts County will win the play offs. 

I fully expect Wrexham to do the double promotion as a lot of clubs coming out of the National league tend to do and then we'll see how the Hollywood story goes. League 1 is a different reality these days. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

Am I right in remembering when it all started to go financially wrong for them back in the early 2000*s, it was our match at their place they chose to stage a huge protest against their board at? 

Anyway, let them have their moment. Well done and all that jazz and then hopefully Notts County will win the play offs. 

I fully expect Wrexham to do the double promotion as a lot of clubs coming out of the National league tend to do and then we'll see how the Hollywood story goes. League 1 is a different reality these days. 

Yes that's right, I think it was the last time we played them. Think it was promoted as Fans United or something like that, I remember there were a load of Brighton fans there as they were going through something similar.

• Thanks 1

It’s an extraordinary story. Two Hollywood stars invest massively in a football club little known outside of the UK that have been thru hard times and now are back in the EFL

Their involved in Wrexham has attracted many tourists from overseas mostly the USA and that influx has boosted the area  tremendously.

Fair play to all concerned I say.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

I expect them to get promoted again too but you're right about League 1 being the level where it'll get a lot tougher.

If you look at the stature of the clubs in the top half (Sheffield Weds, Ipswich, Derby, Charlton, Portsmouth etc) vs those at the bottom (Forest Green, Morecambe, Accrington Stanley) it's a pretty big chasm.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Haven't County had by far the biggest budget in that league for the 5 years before Wrexham's new owners? Feels like saying Abramovic's Chelsea were at an unfair disadvantage once Mansoor bought Man City... 

There is having the biggest budget, and then there is blowing everyone out the water. I don’t think any Notts County players are in £10k a week

2 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

I don't think there are many players outside the top two who are on John Bostock's wages either. For years they had the Surinamese winger whose name I can't recall on 4k a week. 

Same scale as the example I chose. 

Care to find a graph of wages in the conference?

I tried but gave up ?

1 hour ago, shelts said:

Lot of expectation with the amount of money and the high profile owners . Spending the most doesn’t always guarantee success. Be interesting to see what they do pre season . Great game and an enjoyable watch this season . Standard is pretty good . 

I assume you are referring to new signings, but they are also undertaking a pre season tour to the USA, where they have friendlies arranged against Manchester UTD and, I think, Chelsea.