IGNORED

Burnley at home match thread

4 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Ridiculous.

Not really Dave. I’m not saying I expect top 6 - I’m simply saying we should be challenging 

The only thing ridiculous is this fan base and the fact everyone seems so happy with mediocrity 

Luton, Millwall, Coventry, Blackburn and Preston are all clubs in and around the mix - you cannot tell me these clubs , man for a man - have better players then us?

Our fan base on a whole have absolutely no ambition 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1
28 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Agree - and next season is make or break for Pearson . Will be year 3 of his project and anything other then a fight for top 6 isn’t good enough 

Nonsense for me. I’d give him a 3 year contract now and say it starts now. The last 2 years have been firefighting and setting the club up to move forward. 
Roll on the window opening and building a promotion squad. We’re not miles away. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Flames 1
10 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

It's really year one though isn't it considering the post covid mess we were in financially. This window will be the first we enter with anything resembling room to reshape the starting eleven. Even January only opened up in the last week once Antoine was sold.

I'd sooner it take us an extra year or two than go back to a culture of change for changes sake. There's a lot to be said for the club taking its time and building patiently and slowly. 

Slow, slow, slow slow slow = mediocrity

7 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Not really Dave. I’m not saying I expect top 6 - I’m simply saying we should be challenging 

The only thing ridiculous is this fan base and the fact everyone seems so happy with mediocrity 

Luton, Millwall, Coventry, Blackburn and Preston are all clubs in and around the mix - you cannot tell me these clubs , man for a man - have better players then us?

Build knockdown, build knockdown = round and round we go, happy to be exactly where we were some 50yrs ago

Edited by gl2
37 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I rather suspect that next year we shall wonder why we have Wells and Cornick in a side, supposedly, aiming for playoffs.  

I have to say I totally agree with you. Cornick is a chocolate teapot, a forward that won’t score. What was the point in buying him? People say he’s a squad player! We don’t need squad players if we are serious.  Every player we buy should be better than what we have. Is Cornick better than Sykes, Bell, Conway, Wells  or Weiman?  I don’t think so.  I also question Pearson’s ability to buy good players. Most of young players,  he has developed , and really well in most cases, he has inherited  from previous managers. If he suddenly has a once in a decade war chest can he be trusted not to pee it away on the likes of Cornick? 

• Haha 4
3 minutes ago, NotRoyal said:

I have to say I totally agree with you. Cornick is a chocolate teapot, a forward that won’t score. What was the point in buying him? People say he’s a squad player! We don’t need squad players if we are serious.  Every player we buy should be better than what we have. Is Cornick better than Sykes, Bell, Conway, Wells  or Weiman?  I don’t think so.  I also question Pearson’s ability to buy good players. Most of young players,  he has developed , and really well in most cases, he has inherited  from previous managers. If he suddenly has a once in a decade war chest can he be trusted not to pee it away on the likes of Cornick? 

Conveniently forgetting that he has signed Tanner, Atkinson, Sykes, James, Naismith….?

• Flames 3
4 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Nonsense for me. I’d give him a 3 year contract now and say it starts now. The last 2 years have been firefighting and setting the club up to move forward. 
Roll on the window opening and building a promotion squad. We’re not miles away. 

As you say, we are not a million miles away. We should be pushing next season 

I come back to my comparisons with your Millwalls and Blackburns 

19 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

It’s the Bristol malaise… that ‘ok’ sort of mentality.

The excuses that Burnley have parachute payments, are Premiership-bound… no,  show them we’re better than them individually and as a team. They’ve just spent a few days celebrating winning the league, go get ‘em. No, not us. 

We’ll never achieve anything worthwhile with this defeatist, always-have-excuses mentality. Struth, Coventry played all their matches away last season and didn’t even have a pitch to play on at the start of this Season.  Nottingham Forest were in near total meltdown at the start of the previous Season. 

Next Season is OUR time to deliver…I’m with you, fighting for the play-offs is the minimum requirement.

55 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Pretty entertaining game in a match that meant nothing.

Reasonable first half, defended OK and competed. Brilliant second half, Sykes and Weimann were exceptional. 

Shame for Alex to sign off at Ashton Gate with a stinker of a game. But still such a gift to have watched the start of his career. I do think that there's absolutely no chance any top flight side sees him as a CAM, he's so much more effective for the team in deeper positions breaking lines and linking play. Totally wasted higher up. 

Really good signs that our style of play next season will be good to watch. Just need a bit of work on our "route to goal" in the final third. Conway to score 20 next term is my early bet. Boy is such a natural goalscorer. 

A good season of home fixtures in my opinion. Gone are the days of entertainment absent Saturdays and dreary football like the end of Lee and Dean's tenures. 

Excited for the summer window and another season of growth for a young and hungry team. 

Thought we were passive first half . Didn’t lay a glove on them . Needed to get in & rattle them a bit . Last home game of the season & we were miles off it. Better second half after the changes. 

50 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I agree our aim should be to challenge for the top 6 next season. But a top 10 finish would be 'good enough', it's all about progress.

I thought that was a decent second half and had we not gifted the second Burnley goal a draw would have been a fair result.

Obviously young Alex struggled to impact the game. I also thought Cornick was wasteful and Bell hit and miss. 

Conway really does seem the natural goalscorer that we've been crying out for for years and I really hope he can have a starring role next season.

I'm also a huge fan of Sykes who was an incredible signing last year and I think will continue to improve. 

I just want to fast forward to next season now!

13 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

That’s what I am saying mate. I don’t expect a top 6 finish, but we have to be knocking around the top 6 

As you said - progress 

I’m expecting real progress next season but a couple on here comparing us to Luton, Millwall and Preston would do well to remember they don’t have an owner who let his trusted CEO **** us over financially.

However, that is looking like it’s finally sorted after a lot of pain for us fans in getting there, particularly if Scott leaves, and we do have to judge at a slightly higher standard. 56 points next season would be a big disappointment.

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

Problem is, it's hard to build a promotion squad when you sell your best players at the first opportunity. 

Edited by AshtonGreat
  • Like 2

I thought we started pretty well and matched them for 20 mins. They were very fluid once they got into our half. A terrific shot for their goal off of a lack of awareness from Sam Bell and then they were in the ascendancy for the rest of the half. Once we made the changes we looked more streetwise and we gave them more of a match. Conway took his chance for the equaliser really well and that all started from Sam Bell's initial flick on. Scott got backed into a corner which led to the winner. Overall I thought we gave it a go in the second half against the parachute payment backed Champions and that's all we could ask for. 

Really pleased we showed them due respect before the match as champions. Pleased also that Josh Brownhill rightfully got an ovation and due respect for being a great servant and captain of this club.

For me it was a game of two left backs Pring and Maatsen. Pring was easily our best player and Maatsen theres.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
2 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Agree - and next season is make or break for Pearson . Will be year 3 of his project and anything other then a fight for top 6 isn’t good enough 

Completely disagree.

If you look at the divisions, it is blatantly obvious that football clubs succeed or fail dependent on the coach/manager and the owners/board. I could list them for this season but can’t be bothered as most on here will know the clubs from the Prem downwards who have had decent managers but the owner/board have meddled with the club affairs &/or team affairs OR want out and have not backed the manager. Some have just employed poorly qualified coaches/managers - Frank Lampard etc.

In Pearsons defence based on the mess he inherited, I think he has done a good job but at the same time next season is pivotal for him/the club. IMO the club is still suffering from Ashton/Johnson mismanagement/mess of which Lansdown has to take most of the blame for.

Also to have your son on the Board, is not really prudent to having an independently run football club IMO. Especially when he lives in Bermuda or wherever it is he resides in nowadays. Just my opinion but this has been mentioned on here a few times.

I must though say WELL DONE NP for the way he has brought the youth players through this season, which has been commendable IMO. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1
2 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

I disagree completely, Andy. The difference between us and the clubs you mention is that they've been run, from a football perspective at least, well for a number of years. I'm sure you will have been one of many fans who have bemoaned the inability of this club to function professionally for pretty much the entirety of Lansdowns tenure. I know I've longed for a proper football person to be a part of the clubs leadership for a long time. 

Pearson is finally getting us set up for success. This club has been playing at being a professional football club for so long that even the basics that he expected to be in place (coherent scouting departments, logical wage structure, a unified academy and first team programme and a competent medical department) weren't there. I don't think we can fully appreciate just how badly we've been run.

So now we have someone of the experience and knowledge of Pearson I'm inclined to be even more patient than I ordinarily would be. I don't trust Lansdown to get the next appointment right let alone believe there is a better fit for what this club is aspiring to be. 

I happen to think, if we can keep our best players free of injury, that we will be inside the top 10 next season, but I don't consider it to be a failure if we aren't. There are so many things that could impact a season that I just don't see the point in setting expectations. That doesn't mean I lack ambition. 

I just hope we can all get behind the boys and the club as we continue to grow. Let's not forget how inexperienced the squad is. There's so much potential but a big chunk of our team will be playing only their second season at this level. 

The problem is you are asking a lot of the fanbase to have the patience and trust that things behind the scenes are changing for the better, and that these changes will eventually translate into results on the pitch. It would help if the club would communicate what these changes are...what is it that Luton or Millwall have behind the scenes that we don't at City? What do they do differently? What are we going to do differently in the future to give ourselves a chance of over-performance?

Ultimately, Nigel Pearson's job is to achieve high performance of the men's first team, and try and get promoted.

To be blunt, he has not improved results in comparison to last season. We are one point better off with a game to play, so the difference between this and last season is negligible.

Performances may be a little better overall, but on results he has not made any significant progress. 

On the pathway, we have made great progress, but there will come a point (maybe already reached) where any manager coming in could utilise that pathway. Pearson shouldn't be integral to its success.

I was glad to hear SL being cautious regards Nige on RB earlier. There's no need for City to rush into contract talks just yet. Let's see where we are 2-3 months into next season. Some tangible progress in terms of results, and further improvement in terms of performance would be good to see.

• Like 4
  • Flames 2
1 hour ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Agree with this. Though I'd like to see us in and around the top 10 all season with a chance of top 6, not just sneaking 10th at the end.

I think SL will expect this from Nige after 3 years too. I'm not sure he will extend his contract if we aren't in with a shout of top 6, rather than where we are now. I'm sure he looks at other clubs and sees what is possible. If Nige doesn't achieve a step improvement in league position I feel his chance may be gone.

4 hours ago, MelksRed said:

Burnley wasted chance....defending well but need more movement out of the box to provide options. Too flat at the back when attempting to play out. 

Yeah....clapped at the corner.....then booed immediately. ? 

Came over post match to SS then Dolman to thank them, then joined his teammates at the Atyeo as they celebrated.  Nice touch.  Good player (understatement).  His positional play constantly meant problems for the triangle of Naismith, James and Pring.

4 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Great goal Benson. Top player 

Him and Jack Clarke have given the best individual performances against us imho, closely run by Simms.

3 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

Done alright, I really don't think Scott should be playing CAM, he's so much more influential deeper. 

Poor from Bell in the run up to the goal. Lack of scanning is one thing I think he lacks generally. Don't know if today was the day for Belly, (say it quietly so Spike doesn't hear) but arguably Mehmeti would have had more joy on the left.

Some nice spells of possession but the Burnley secondary press is sublime, so once the first line is broken there's nothing there. 

I'd actually go 352 against these, we need am extra man up top to take advantage of any hesitation in the keeper and we aren't going to break them down on the wings. Clog the middle, play it quicker.

No shame in being outclassed by these though, they're phenomenal even after a really "hungover" opening 10 minutes. 

My fault, after half an hour I said “Bell has doubled up really well with Pring today”.  Sorry.

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Cannot wait to see what Conway can do next season if he can remain injury free.  Could be worth £20m in 12 months.  With Scott and Semenyo money, we have a chance to spend £10m of that wisely and have a real go next season.   I think Lansdown will expect a play off push as well 

He’s the real deal.  Quiet today, but scored.  “Young Shearer”

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

I think Nige expects us to be up there challenging too.

I really do hate the “accepting mediocrity” type statement.  What has been mediocre.  It’s been anything but as we’ve recovered from an absolute cluster#### of a situation left behind.

I keep saying it…this summer is really “year 0”…the mess has been sorted.  We now need to kick on.

Yes, all those clubs do have better squads than us currently.  Spend some time and look at their squad, player by player and the depth.  I know it’s tough to think, but it really is blinkered to come out with statements re those clubs like you did.  

Thankfully despite all of them being 2+ years ahead of us in their plans (good plans too), we aren’t a million miles off of them.

Just picking forward players:

Luton: Morris and Abebayo

Preston: Cannon (what a prospect Everton have there) plus to an extent Riis (although injured)

Coventry: Gyokeres supplied by Hamer 

Blackburn: Brereton-Diaz

Millwall: Bradshaw and Flemming

A good summer can see us recover some ground though.

What defines ambition? For you?

Why do you think our fans lack ambition?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1