IGNORED

Burnley at home match thread

I have this idiot sat behind me moaning about why Scott didn't clear it upfield and then moaning why we don't get rid of it quicker from the back. He has that kind of voice that just goes right through you. I just can't be bothered to turn around and waste energy engaging with the negativety you just know he won't listen to any other points of view.

12 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

@Spikeis gonna blow his lid when he sees that lineup ?

It is what it is, I mean you can laugh all you like but we spent £1m on a talented player who apparently now isn't worthy of being on the bench, it doesn't look good when we're such a small squad and the signing Pearson bigged up isn't even able to make the bench. 

10 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

Done

Poor from Bell in the run up to the goal. Lack of scanning is one thing I think he lacks generally. Don't know if today was the day for Belly, (say it quietly so Spike doesn't hear) but arguably Mehmeti would have had more joy on the left.

You're a weird one, been reading this thread and you've mentioned me twice when I've not posted at all. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

That's all fair, Kid. I'm not sure I agree that it's asking a lot to be patient and trust considering the context of the last 20 years of failed attempts. I think that's more of a sad indictment of modern society "jam today". 

I do agree that progress in results is now desired, but I wouldn't personally say required. If next season we are a little bit higher but feel closer to a winning formula, I'd remain content. But I've only ever lost patience with one manager in my lifetime (McInnes) by the time the axe was wielded. And I definitely got a lot of those positions wrong with the benefit of hindsight.

No wrong answers here, just perspectives. I'm just grateful that the club has finally invested in experienced football people and want to see how a 3/5 year plan can continue to reshape the club. 

This response isn’t meant to be an LJ thing, more a view / reflection on results and performances in that period.

For a good while (imho), results were better than performances.  What that’s about better to have a lucky general than a good general?  I remember a run in 18/19 after Xmas where we won 4 or 5 on the trot w/o conceding and we were right in it.  But imho we’d played poorly and scraped the wins.  That’s no bad thing, we often say that a good side finds a way of winning.  Unfortunately when results began to match performances, and we started losing, the slide seemed to be irreparable and we ended up mid-table.  Under Holden, again results eventually caught up with performances.

So, you can see how things look fine / good / okay, then suddenly fall off a cliff.

Going back to LJ’s time, you can also see how quickly you can improve.  From relegation battle 16/17, to top performances AND results in 17/18 over a period.

I kinda feel we are about to embark on an uplift, where we start to get (more of) the results our performances deserve.  One or two better players is what’s needed to do that.

Hope that makes sense.  And not an LJ thing, just using his time as a reference.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

If it was a game that meant something Id be fuming at Bell

That lad Benson has scored the exact same goal about 5 times in a few weeks. Don't let him cut in and swing a foot ffs 

He's young and learning. The replay appears to show him giving up. Agreed. Worth noting that there were two more experienced players near and neither responded either. 

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This response isn’t meant to be an LJ thing, more a view / reflection on results and performances in that period.

For a good while (imho), results were better than performances.  What that’s about better to have a lucky general than a good general?  I remember a run in 18/19 after Xmas where we won 4 or 5 on the trot w/o conceding and we were right in it.  But imho we’d played poorly and scraped the wins.  That’s no bad thing, we often say that a good side finds a way of winning.  Unfortunately when results began to match performances, and we started losing, the slide seemed to be irreparable and we ended up mid-table.  Under Holden, again results eventually caught up with performances.

So, you can see how things look fine / good / okay, then suddenly fall off a cliff.

Going back to LJ’s time, you can also see how quickly you can improve.  From relegation battle 16/17, to top performances AND results in 17/18 over a period.

I kinda feel we are about to embark on an uplift, where we start to get (more of) the results our performances deserve.  One or two better players is what’s needed to do that.

Hope that makes sense.  And not an LJ thing, just using his time as a reference.

I'm not sure it's easy to conclude that gritty results are better than good performances that don't yield the same points?

The obvious similarity between the LJ team and the NP team is that they are/were both well organised, galvanised and hardworking. 

I completely agree that it feels like we are primed now (with astute summer deals) to attack this division. And I think we will. 

But any manager can lose their way and their job if results go south. LJ and NP both know this.

• Like 1
On 29/04/2023 at 20:16, Davefevs said:

I think Nige expects us to be up there challenging too.

I really do hate the “accepting mediocrity” type statement.  What has been mediocre.  It’s been anything but as we’ve recovered from an absolute cluster#### of a situation left behind.

I keep saying it…this summer is really “year 0”…the mess has been sorted.  We now need to kick on.

Yes, all those clubs do have better squads than us currently.  Spend some time and look at their squad, player by player and the depth.  I know it’s tough to think, but it really is blinkered to come out with statements re those clubs like you did.  

Thankfully despite all of them being 2+ years ahead of us in their plans (good plans too), we aren’t a million miles off of them.

Just picking forward players:

Luton: Morris and Abebayo

Preston: Cannon (what a prospect Everton have there) plus to an extent Riis (although injured)

Coventry: Gyokeres supplied by Hamer 

Blackburn: Brereton-Diaz

Millwall: Bradshaw and Flemming

A good summer can see us recover some ground though.

What defines ambition? For you?

Why do you think our fans lack ambition?

As always, great post Dave - but I can’t help but disagree with the squad comparisons. You have plucked out the top performers there from each club - and I agree they are excellent players, but we do have some good players ourselves. Some of have under performed for this club 

I don’t think I’m explaining myself properly around my expectations  to be fair as I do agree with you - a good summer should see us make some ground . That’s the point I’m making. We are going to finish this season  in the realms of mid-table - next season we really should be challenging up and around the play-offs. That should be our aim

Ambition for me is year on year progress. I’ve always said that - but people see my posts and get out their pram because they think I’m demanding title winning teams every season. For me - if we finished 8th or 9th next year but had an outside sniff of top 6, that would be progress and success for me. If we can add a bit more consistency to our game - that would be success to

We have people on this forum talking about next season being the start of a 3 year plan - I just disagree with that. Even Pearson and Lansdown expect more next season - so I don’t know why some on here don’t 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

As always, great post Dave - but I can’t help but disagree with the squad comparisons. You have plucked out the top performers there from each club - and I agree they are excellent players, but we do have some good players ourselves. Some of have under performed for this club 

I don’t think I’m explaining myself properly around my expectations  to be fair as I do agree with you - a good summer should see us make some ground . That’s the point I’m making. We are going to finish this season  in the realms of mid-table - next season we really should be challenging up and around the play-offs. That should be our aim

Ambition for me is year on year progress. I’ve always said that - but people see my posts and get out their pram because they think I’m demanding title winning teams every season. For me - if we finished 8th or 9th next year but had an outside sniff of top 6, that would be progress and success for me. If we can add a bit more consistency to our game - that would be success to

We have people on this forum talking about next season being the start of a 3 year plan - I just disagree with that. Even Pearson and Lansdown expect more next season - so I don’t know why some on here don’t 

I think Pearson is ambitious, but there is context . 
We were in a position that, however ambitious the top of the Club were, we needed consolidation. We are now in a position where Nige can start to build properly, this is where I agree with @Davefevs. This feels like his first proper chance to form his squad. He's got rid of around 20 players, added a few here and there, but now he is in a position to add the little bits of important quality pieces to the jigsaw. I think everyone feels we should be able to push on and challenge for that 6th spot. 

I've just seen the post Dave did earlier and totally agree. Many games around those Boom or Bust  seasons , we would walk out of a game saying, how did we win that ? Performances were (being kind) average and we nicked a fair few games, which is great. But come those runs where we struggled in front of goal we went on those winless runs which we couldn't see our next win coming. 
I think we are in a much healthier position, we have a team willing to work, with an idea of what they are trying to do. I think performances have been improving through the season, most of the problems have come from individual errors. With more regular performance levels , we can achieve more consistency . 
Before we sign anyone I am optimistic for next year. If we get our main targets , or most of them I hope to be having a season to enjoy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 29/04/2023 at 23:00, Swede said:

I have this idiot sat behind me moaning about why Scott didn't clear it upfield and then moaning why we don't get rid of it quicker from the back. He has that kind of voice that just goes right through you. I just can't be bothered to turn around and waste energy engaging with the negativety you just know he won't listen to any other points of view.

Sounds like the moron who sits behind me whose tactical nous stops at 'get it forward ' ?

• Like 1