IGNORED

Steve Lansdown interview Today

Red Army 75

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

I haven’t done so yet but despite him being clearly selective about certain decisions (MA especially, LJ to an extent) do you think it is possibly that as you approach your latter years you do become more reflective?

I think the fact that he was being interviewed by Geoff on a day when one of the big themes of the programme was that Geoff's time at Radio Bristol was ending made both of them reflective. The end of an era. I got the impression that SL appreciates his time is almost up as the sole owner of Bristol City. The bulk of it has certainly now passed. Time is against him to get to 'the promised land' - as he puts it. He must surely reflect that for all his investment he's blown his chance more than once. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think the GJ era was probably the peak of SL's "access" to the footballing side too.

Note he said, "before the Palace away game I spoke to 'David' and said 'you'll score today'". 

He said it almost like a manager recollecting a big game would've. 

They'll be none of that going on under NP. 

Good points and that was a bit Mark Ashton that part of the interview. He clearly had a lot of influence with the Johnson’s but had none of that with SC and is no doubt the same with NP.

20 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I was surprised but happy to hear him say he doesn't see eye to eye with Nigel on everything. Think that's a good thing.

I was interested, and again happy, to hear him point out how well Luton, Millwall and Coventry are doing compared to us.

Gave a shout out to his mate Mark Robins "doing a brilliant job at Coventry". 

Contract talks with Nige have not begun. 

Scott price is £25m but could be higher if there's a bidding war. Doesn't know if Scott will go though, clearly hopes he'll stay. 

Thanked Geoff at end of interview.

Was very encouraged to hear that. The vast majority on here seem to think Scott leaving in the summer is inevitable and salivating over the thought that little Bristol City will be selling a player for £25M.

Scott's got 2 years left on his contract, we don't have to sell, certainly not this summer. He will still be woth £25M in 2024. As Steve said, there are a group of young lads here, they're mates and having fun, why not stay and achieve something together. They could all be playing in the Premiership in 2024, with Bristol City.

We have a situation here where Pearson is entering the final year of his current contract, has done a remarkable job of recognizing the talent of a crop of youngsters. Keep them all together, manager and the squad, for at least one more season, and see what happens.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

The single most important reason for our failure to progress has been poor player recruitment. At the end of the day it is all about having good enough players on the pitch. I'm still not sure if putting Tinnion in charge of it will prove to be the answer.

We have wasted so much money on players that have not improved the team. I'm not sure how much SL has been directly involved in that over the years but he certainly is responsible for deciding who chooses the players.

Thank you, excellent concise post expressing my own concerns - and coming sharply into focus with considerable likely funds on the horizon.

This summer window will be very much pivotal for us...it's vital we get it right, as with Nigel at the helm opportunity could indeed come knocking.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Was very encouraged to hear that. The vast majority on here seem to think Scott leaving in the summer is inevitable and salivating over the thought that little Bristol City will be selling a player for £25M.

Scott's got 2 years left on his contract, we don't have to sell, certainly not this summer. He will still be woth £25M in 2024. As Steve said, there are a group of young lads here, they're mates and having fun, why not stay and achieve something together. They could all be playing in the Premiership in 2024, with Bristol City.

We have a situation here where Pearson is entering the final year of his current contract, has done a remarkable job of recognizing the talent of a crop of youngsters. Keep them all together, manager and the squad, for at least one more season, and see what happens.

The only problem there is, I actually agree pretty much with what you have written, if we don't go up how much would Scott's value fall by next summer? He's happy here, enjoying it as SL said, having fun- and I believe one more year here with the stability of the environment would serve him well.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The only problem there is, I actually agree pretty much with what you have written, if we don't go up how much would Scott's value fall by next summer? He's happy here, enjoying it as SL said, having fun- and I believe one more year here with the stability of the environment would serve him well.

Playing devils advocate - how much would Scott be worth in 12 months if the footballing gods gave him an “atkinson/benarous” situation? What would that mean for his financial life after football? I would love to keep him, but the only way it makes sense is a sale/loan back, which “could” play out depending on the purchasing club and their vision. Ultimately the pull of the prem, and what would a 25m player get paid a week for that? It’s life changing. 

22 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Playing devils advocate - how much would Scott be worth in 12 months if the footballing gods gave him an “atkinson/benarous” situation? What would that mean for his financial life after football? I would love to keep him, but the only way it makes sense is a sale/loan back, which “could” play out depending on the purchasing club and their vision. Ultimately the pull of the prem, and what would a 25m player get paid a week for that? It’s life changing. 

That's true too of course. Heart v head, injury risk another big factor. Sale for the appropriate fee then try to sell/pitch the idea of one more year developing in an environment he knows and is happy in or try and pitch it as part of the initial deal.

20 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's true too of course. Heart v head, injury risk another big factor. Sale for the appropriate fee then try to sell/pitch the idea of one more year developing in an environment he knows and is happy in or try and pitch it as part of the initial deal.

I'd eat my invisible hat if that happened. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dredd said:

Let's not also forget that if a certain Mr Johnson was still here then Scott and Conway would probably be on their 3rd loan spell each and nowhere near the first team. 

Problem with this theory has always been that LJ couldn't wait to get Kelly in the first team, playing him out of position to shoehorn him in, in fact. Persisted with Bobby when pretty much every City fan had concluded he wasn't good enough.

Then there is the absence of academy graduates at that time, who despite LJ apparently overlooking them, went on to succeed in football despite him - who are they and where are they? 

I personally think it's more a case that 3-5 years on we have a better crop of academy talent, blended with some really smart young signings like Antoine and Scott, which can be credited to Tinnion. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

Or you cash in and get proper competition for O’Leary, a dominant centre half, a Centre Mid that gives you 40 games per season etc. We do need a quality upgrade and without selling Scott where does the money come from?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'd eat my invisible hat if that happened. 

Think the only way it happens is as part of the deal and therefore a significantly lower fee for us, clearly no way a Prem club are going to let us have him back just for being nice chaps. We would need to decide the value of Alex for another season vs what we could do with the extra money. Whilst think it’s unlikely, need to keep in mind that he’s contracted and so we do have some agency/control over the deal and how it’s constructed, needs three parties to be comfortable with it, not just two (insert weak joke re bank holiday weekend hedonism). 

By the way, not sure if you think it will or won’t happen, given you’ve set yourself a reasonably straightforward challenge if it does…?!?

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think the GJ era was probably the peak of SL's "access" to the footballing side too.

Note he said, "before the Palace away game I spoke to 'David' and said 'you'll score today'". 

He said it almost like a manager recollecting a big game would've. 

They'll be none of that going on under NP. 

I find it cringe when people say that. Same as Wael saying he told coaches to focus on ‘certain players’ at Rovers academy as he knew they’d be good. 

Broadly, it’s a load of shite as it makes them look like they know their stuff. What about all the other things you’ve said that turned out to be wrong/didn’t happen ey Stevie boy??

Found the interview a bit odd and confused tbh. Want investment, could be a lot, could be a little, could also sell the entire club. Well, which one do you want? or do you just want ‘something’ to happen…

Thinks we should be doing better on the pitch, thinks we should be top 6 next season. Based on what? You also said we should’ve been in the play offs in 17-18, 18-19 and also promoted in 19-20, also based on what? Or are you just saying it as it’s higher than where we are atm and that’s basically it?

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Problem with this theory has always been that LJ couldn't wait to get Kelly in the first team, playing him out of position to shoehorn him in, in fact. Persisted with Bobby when pretty much every City fan had concluded he wasn't good enough.

Then there is the absence of academy graduates at that time, who despite LJ apparently overlooking them, went on to succeed in football despite him - who are they and where are they? 

I personally think it's more a case that 3-5 years on we have a better crop of academy talent, blended with some really smart young signings like Antoine and Scott, which can be credited to Tinnion. 

Agreed. I think LJ gave the younger players that were  ‘good’ enough at the time the opportunity, the current academy crop we have coming through right now is arguably the best we have ever seen at the football club. 

As you said add to that the unbelievable find in Alex Scott and the same in Antoine and Pearson has in many ways been quite fortunate with the young players he has had at his disposal since he was appointed in 2021.

Also worth noting that Pearson as of yet hasn’t had anywhere near the available funds that LJ had. In reality if Pearson hadn’t of had his hands tied financially like he has the last 3 or 4 transfer windows and had the war chest that LJ had over his tenure would players like Bell, Conway etc been given the amount of game time? 

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Counter argument to that, did we even need to sign Kalas on loan when Kelly was good enough to be CB at that time, and was consistently excellent tbere for England? Wouldn’t have needed to be out of position if they hadn’t got Kalas in..

Also the MO’L and Marinovic debacle. 

IMO Bell, Conway and Benarous are nowhere to be seen in the line up under LJ. Even Antoine was also rushed in then quickly not used thereafter. Taylor-Clarke and the others who’ve also had minutes and even starts, not a chance in hell.

Of course a bit of grey when comparing the current usage now under NP & what I was under LJ, but I Think he used it as box ticking exercises, when we really needed results or were in tense situations the young’uns were typically the first ones to be Shanghai’d. Very opposite now. 

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Counter argument to that, did we even need to sign Kalas on loan when Kelly was good enough to be CB at that time, and was consistently excellent tbere for England? Wouldn’t have needed to be out of position if they hadn’t got Kalas in..

IMO Bell, Conway and Benarous are nowhere to be seen in the line up under LJ. Even Antoine was also rushed in then quickly not used thereafter.

Of course a bit of grey when comparing the current usage now under NP & what I was under LJ, but I Think he used it as box ticking exercises, when we really needed results or were in tense situations the young’uns were typically the first ones to be Shanghai’d. Very opposite now. 

Do you not think though that had Pearson walked into the club and it was on the same financial footing as we were in the summer of 2019 say that he would still of been giving Bell , Conway Benarous etc as much game time?

Im certainly not knocking Pearson for developing the younger players but i just feel at times he has been left with little choice because of our dire financial situation over the past 24 months or so.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Do you not think though that had Pearson walked into the club and it was on the same financial footing as we were in the summer of 2019 say that he would still of been giving Bell , Conway Benarous etc as much game time?

Im certainly not knocking Pearson for developing the younger players but i just feel at times he has been left with little choice because of our dire financial situation over the past 24 months or so.

I’d hope not, as they would’ve been 16 years old odd ? I think yes. Don’t get me wrong, obviously the HPC set up will have helped that, and it helps that they’re definitely good enough, but he still could’ve easily padded up with cheap one year deals for old free agents if he wanted to. 

11 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Yeah, don’t think they would all have got minutes, nor the volume of minutes…but I do feel that Nige wouldn’t have created bloat and been happy to have the kids as cover.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

Thank you, excellent concise post expressing my own concerns - and coming sharply into focus with considerable likely funds on the horizon.

This summer window will be very much pivotal for us...it's vital we get it right, as with Nigel at the helm opportunity could indeed come knocking.

I actually don’t think we’ll have considerable transfer funds, even if Scott goes. My guess is a maximum of 5 in & a small percentage of the money we would receive.

What we will have though is greater sums than so far under Pearson, where it is worth pointing out his total expenditure on fees is around what LJ spent on Kasey Palmer alone.

I’m no FFP expert but also believe that the Semenyo sale was partially because we were so close to breaching it that we couldn’t take the risk.

Whether by necessity or design our recruitment under him has been far more efficient, Sykes for nothing, Tanner £300k & the one big money signing prior to January (Atkinson) looks far shrewder than many we spent similar on previously.

Those that haven’t worked out, Simpson obviously, Wilson arguably certainly don’t come into the Engvall, Adelakun category.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I actually don’t think we’ll have considerable transfer funds, even if Scott goes. My guess is a maximum of 5 in & a small percentage of the money we would receive.

What we will have though is greater sums than so far under Pearson, where it is worth pointing out his total expenditure on fees is around what LJ spent on Kasey Palmer alone.

I’m no FFP expert but also believe that the Semenyo sale was partially because we were so close to breaching it that we couldn’t take the risk.

Whether by necessity or design our recruitment under him has been far more efficient, Sykes for nothing, Tanner £300k & the one big money signing prior to January (Atkinson) looks far shrewder than many we spent similar on previously.

Those that haven’t worked out, Simpson obviously, Wilson arguably certainly don’t come into the Engvall, Adelakun category.

Well put points. I kind of think it likely we might see the departure of some of the bigger earners as well, allowing us reductions in week-on-week running losses next season, although like every league club, we aren't going to make any money!

If I was forced with my arm behind my back to offer a weak defence to some of the Johnson era excess spending, I'd say that there was more money sloshing around the second tier back then. There's a post-Covid, recession-driven reality check occurring at most clubs at this level and economies are having to be made pretty much all over. 

One of Pearson's great plus points has been how he's been able to manage on less without sinking below the waves. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, petehinton said:

IMO Bell, Conway and Benarous are nowhere to be seen in the line up under LJ. Even Antoine was also rushed in then quickly not used thereafter. Taylor-Clarke and the others who’ve also had minutes and even starts, not a chance in hell.

Agree with you about Kalas/Kelly - but wasn’t that what Ashton was all about - the bottom line.

On Bell, Conway, Belarous: appreciate that LJ is fair game as the whipping boy for most things, but I think it’s taking it a bit far to criticise him for the presumed failure to select players who simply weren’t available at the time. We’ve no way of knowing that at all. 

And, has has been pointed out, he had very different challenges anyway. One of which is that for the last 2-3 years of his tenure the expectation was that we were too 6 material. And much as I recognise the prospect that Bell and Benarous are, they’re not too 6 Championship standard yet. Conway, maybe. 

The @ciderwithtommy and @Mr Popodopolous discussion is an interesting one. I’m first in line to blame Ashton for everything and anything, but one thing you have to say is that he was better than we’d ever been before at extracting maximum financial value from our player assets. So often in the past we’d failed to take big bids for players who then ran down contracts, for injured etc etc and in the meantime we’d not achieved success by keeping them. And that’s the dilemma with Scott, isn’t it? My heart says he stays with us and we reach the PL with him. My head says we’re not close enough.

The Ashton problem is that there was no dilemma for him: for him it was purely the bottom line, and if it cost us success on the field that was secondary - and not his problem. 

Why are we wasting energy still talking about the past, when finally we have a club looking to the future, clear of the nonsense, with a clear philosophy and strategy? At last. The club is finally preparing itself to go to a higher level and the foundations are now in place that will serve us well for many years to come. As long as we stick to the plan. 

Meliora

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

I would imagine that Steve's devastated reading this thread, built a huge thriving business up from his back room, bought a football club and other sporting enterprises, invested millions in state of the art venues, and has great plans for the next step, but some randomers on an internet forum have pointed out what a mess he has made of his life, if only he has listened to them..... 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

5 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

The single most important reason for our failure to progress has been poor player recruitment. At the end of the day it is all about having good enough players on the pitch. I'm still not sure if putting Tinnion in charge of it will prove to be the answer.

We have wasted so much money on players that have not improved the team. I'm not sure how much SL has been directly involved in that over the years but he certainly is responsible for deciding who chooses the players.

Whose decision was it to hand Ashton the reins when we’d just had a double-winning season? Who refused to sanction deals for Maguire and Gayle at that time? Who signed off all those cheques during the scattergun years of LJ and Ashton?

Poor player recruitment starts at the very top. As he’s keen to remind us all, he makes the decisions so why he can’t take responsibility for them is beyond me.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

18 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I would imagine that Steve's devastated reading this thread, built a huge thriving business up from his back room, bought a football club and other sporting enterprises, invested millions in state of the art venues, and has great plans for the next step, but some randomers on an internet forum have pointed out what a mess he has made of his life, if only he has listened to them....

Really? Made a mess of his life? Since nobody has said any such thing this is a straw man argument.

By all means make a case that he has not made too many poor football decisions if you can but don't distort what other posters have said in doing so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I would imagine that Steve's devastated reading this thread, built a huge thriving business up from his back room, bought a football club and other sporting enterprises, invested millions in state of the art venues, and has great plans for the next step, but some randomers on an internet forum have pointed out what a mess he has made of his life, if only he has listened to them..... 

No different when people criticise Nige is it? Played at the top level, managed at the top level. Nice bank balance I suspect. Do you think he gives a shit when people question his tactics, subs and signings? 50 years in the game, if only he had listened to them……….

I’m not sure people think Steve has ****** up his life but aren’t people entitled to an opinion on the way he has owned the football club?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Really? Made a mess of his life? Since nobody has said any such thing this is a straw man argument.

By all means make a case that he has not made too many poor football decisions if you can but don't distort what other posters have said in doing so.

Smacks of you can have an opinion on the Manager but not the Owner.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, chinapig said:

That's how I read it when I see so many comments on all the things he has done "wrong" without balancing it out with the positives. 

1 hour ago, Psychopomp said:

Why are we wasting energy still talking about the past, when finally we have a club looking to the future, clear of the nonsense, with a clear philosophy and strategy? At last. The club is finally preparing itself to go to a higher level and the foundations are now in place that will serve us well for many years to come. As long as we stick to the plan. 

Meliora

We continue to talk about it for the reason highlighted. 

We've seen this script before...

• Like 1