IGNORED

Scoreboard

Roe

On the subject of the scoreboard , was this really put up on the screen today ? For those young enough not to know , Michael Stone was a Loyalist Paramilitary during the troubles in Ireland who took a bag of grenades and a machine gun to a Republican funeral in Milltown in 1988 !! 

6177D7AC-43C0-4607-A804-D8A03F03BD5C.jpeg

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

On the subject of the scoreboard , was this really put up on the screen today ? For those young enough not to know , Michael Stone was a Loyalist Paramilitary during the troubles in Ireland who took a bag of grenades and a machine gun to a Republican funeral in Milltown in 1988 !! 

6177D7AC-43C0-4607-A804-D8A03F03BD5C.jpeg

The key there is “young enough not to know”. I wondered why people from the Emerald Isle were suddenly taking an interest in our Facebook page and demanding contrition from the club.

Whoever sent that in, and sadly they’re probably untraceable - is a chromium-plated arse, but before people let their outrage adrenaline take over do you really think who is responsible for publishing these thought for a split second it was anything other than authentic. Undoubtedly an intern or junior member of staff (you’ve seen the salaries posted on here for back room staff) who would struggle to point out Cumbria on a map, let alone be au fait with murderous figures from the troubles. Plus, Michael Stone is a fairly common name - perhaps if it was “Mad Dog” Johnny Adair you could expect a little more nous.

Doubtless the club will issue a full apology - remember we couldn’t even have a Tifo display of our national flag versus the Bogsmashing Blueturds for fear of causing offence - but I resent the insinuation this is some deliberate bigoted message from the club and we are a seat of anti-Catholic hatred a la Ibrox.

I wonder if those from across the water complaining had the same sense of revulsion when fans of Shelbourne or whatever tinpot Club that was were singing “Lizzie’s in a box”? (Regardless of your views on the Monarchy - deliberately intended to cause maximum offence).

Absolutely shouldn’t have happened but was written in such a way it could all too easily have slipped through the net.

Edited by WessexPest
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

Reckon a decision was made to advertise season tickets throughout the match. Which would suggest they aren't selling very well. 

Got to say I'd rather see replays of the away goals than bloody adverts

I think currently they’re just using available media to advertise season ticket sales, especially knowing it was last home game and a big crowd.

For what it’s worth, I thought it was a poor decision and not well presented. They just needed to remind season tickets on sale and retain the time and score, for us who require reminding!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WessexPest said:

The key there is “young enough not to know”. I wondered why people from the Emerald Isle were suddenly taking an interest in our Facebook page and demanding contrition from the club.

Whoever sent that in, and sadly they’re probably untraceable - is a chromium-plated arse, but before people let their outrage adrenaline take over do you really think who is responsible for publishing these thought for a split second it was anything other than authentic. Undoubtedly an intern or junior member of staff (you’ve seen the salaries posted on here for back room staff) who would struggle to point out Cumbria on a map, let alone be au fait with murderous figures from the troubles. Plus, Michael Stone is a fairly common name - perhaps if it was “Mad Dog” Johnny Adair you could expect a little more nous.

Doubtless the club will issue a full apology - remember we couldn’t even have a Tifo display of our national flag versus the Bogsmashing Blueturds for fear of causing offence - but I resent the insinuation this is some deliberate bigoted message from the club and we are a seat of anti-Catholic hatred a la Ibrox.

I wonder if those from across the water complaining had the same sense of revulsion when fans of Shelbourne or whatever tinpot Club that was were singing “Lizzie’s in a box”? (Regardless of your views on the Monarchy - deliberately intended to cause maximum offence).

Absolutely shouldn’t have happened but was written in such a way it could all too easily have slipped through the net.

Apology..

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/bristol-city-fc-apologise-for-message-celebrating-michael-stone-beating-milltown-3-0/1464101728.html

This wound me up too today felt like the proper little customer I am… Also every time Downsy got on the mic he was pushing season ticket sales.. I get it.. but at the same time.. it was every time I looked at the board.. and every single time he said anything. Maybe show us on the pitch why we should renew. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Got through our checking measures...

I'll wager we had, until after this happened, ANY checking measures.

Our 'checking measures' aren't very good. These murders were quite widely reported and Stone later drew more attention to himself - after he was released due to the Good Friday amnesty - by trying to get into Stormont (the NI assembly) with lots of weapons, intent on killing some more people. In his trial he claimed this was "performance art".  This made him pretty famous.

BCFC need more adult and clued-up people to filter things they pump out, or further embarrassment will definitely ensue. 

• Like 2

Odd. 

There is history of people duping celebrities/grifters on social media (think Trump tweeting a picture of Fred and Rose West, Farage saying “up the RA” on Cameo) but for someone to target the scoreboard and half time messages of an English club with no relation to the incident, very few people likely to see in real time and with no strong Irish presence in either team just seems weird. 

I’ve no doubt the club were duped, but there is equally nothing in the message that someone in the club should have picked up bearing in mind the lack of connection to the incident. It’s not as if it was celebrating (again, for example) Fred West.

No blame to the club here. Just a very odd person doing the message considering the medium.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Odd. 

There is history of people duping celebrities/grifters on social media (think Trump tweeting a picture of Fred and Rose West, Farage saying “up the RA” on Cameo) but for someone to target the scoreboard and half time messages of an English club with no relation to the incident, very few people likely to see in real time and with no strong Irish presence in either team just seems weird. 

I’ve no doubt the club were duped, but there is equally nothing in the message that someone in the club should have picked up bearing in mind the lack of connection to the incident. It’s not as if it was celebrating (again, for example) Fred West.

No blame to the club here. Just a very odd person doing the message considering the medium.

I expect they can find out who sent it in, check Twitter, text, email etc

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Our 'checking measures' aren't very good. These murders were quite widely reported and Stone later drew more attention to himself - after he was released due to the Good Friday amnesty - by trying to get into Stormont (the NI assembly) with lots of weapons, intent on killing some more people. In his trial he claimed this was "performance art".  This made him pretty famous.

BCFC need more adult and clued-up people to filter things they pump out, or further embarrassment will definitely ensue. 

Don't be daft. I am "adult, clued up, and half Irish" and if I had been filtering those messages I would have probably missed the reference too. It happened 27 years ago and has no connection to the club, it's supporters, or it's affiliations, there would be no reason to suspect there was anything malicious in that message. 

Perhaps we should employ someone with a background in domestic and world history?

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Don't be daft. I am "adult, clued up, and half Irish" and if I had been filtering those messages I would have probably missed the reference too. It happened 27 years ago and has no connection to the club, it's supporters, or it's affiliations, there would be no reason to suspect there was anything malicious in that message. 

Perhaps we should employ someone with a background in domestic and world history?

Maybe. I didn't actually read it when it came up on the board at the match, but it was instantly obvious to me what it referred to when it was posted here. 

As @Bristol Rob says, I doubt there were any "checking procedures" before this incident. 

12 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Maybe. I didn't actually read it when it came up on the board at the match, but it was instantly obvious to me what it referred to when it was posted here. 

As @Bristol Rob says, I doubt there were any "checking procedures" before this incident. 

You would have thought that after 'Central Sandwich Fillings' or whatever that was they'd be all over this!

Seriously though, can see how easy it would be for someone to be duped, especially if they aren't aware of the history, but it wouldn't take a lot to verify message requests.

It clearly isn't a reflection on the beliefs of the club as a whole and fingers crossed they put a process in place to avoid any future embarrassment.

The apology from the club was swift, rather than their usual ignore it and it will go away attitude to anything awkward.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BS13 Robin said:

Just a thought,is it anything to do with our Irish kit manufacturers?

Unlikely I'd have thought.  Someone suggested to me that it might be connected to the far-right "prankster" Burnley fan who arranged to fly a "white lives matter" banner over the Etihad when Burnley were playing there. 

• Like 3