IGNORED

Scoreboard

Roe

I must confess it took me a minute to twig and I’m au fait with the subject matter, it was disguised enough -  “Love dad”-  that it had the surface appearance of an innocent message.

Look at all the ludicrous things Chris Morris has hoodwinked celebs into saying on camera - Lineker and “BALTIMORA”, Noel Edmonds about a made-up drug that impacts an area of the brain called “Shatner’s Bassoon.” 

I also recall an incident where a hapless young girl who worked in a sports shop was harangued for making up a Man U shirt with a grossly offensive anti-Liverpool slogan on the back, even though she had no idea what it referred to.

The amount of people who seem to genuinely believe this was a deliberate act by the club (“What do you expect from slave central City?” ?) Absolutely barking. Seen a few Rangers fans and NI Prods too saying we are now their second team which doesn’t help put out the fire.

Apology issued, learn from it. Hopefully find and ban whoever sent it (if they even are a City fan). Move along.

Edited by WessexPest
  • Like 5

On 29/04/2023 at 20:32, Baldyman said:

On the subject of the scoreboard , was this really put up on the screen today ? For those young enough not to know , Michael Stone was a Loyalist Paramilitary during the troubles in Ireland who took a bag of grenades and a machine gun to a Republican funeral in Milltown in 1988 !! 

6177D7AC-43C0-4607-A804-D8A03F03BD5C.jpeg

The message would have gone completely over my head, as I didn't understand it, but there is a little irony (in this photo) that if the scoreboard wasn't advertising season tickets then the pitch side boards were.

Edited by Slack Bladder

God I hate anything to do with The Republic of Ireland and it’s constant blaming of the English for everything. 

Dreadful thing to put up on a scoreboard and a bit embarrassing, however thousands travel to this country every week spilling their vile nonsense singing songs about terrorism, killing soldiers and that’s freedom of speech I am told. 

Someone should be fired of course, but I was brought up in Guildford and had over 30 years of all the evil bastards!

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Flames 1

7 hours ago, REDOXO said:

God I hate anything to do with The Republic of Ireland and it’s constant blaming of the English for everything. 

Dreadful thing to put up on a scoreboard and a bit embarrassing, however thousands travel to this country every week spilling their vile nonsense singing songs about terrorism, killing soldiers and that’s freedom of speech I am told. 

Someone should be fired of course, but I was brought up in Guildford and had over 30 years of all the evil bastards!

Time for a bit of research, I reckon.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, REDOXO said:

My late Dad's family are from Dublin, two of his brothers fought for us in the war.  When they came over here for a visit, one of the first things they always wanted to do was to visit the local British Legion.  Maybe you should broaden your horizons a bit.

I wouldn't have picked this message up if I was doing the checking, I'd be looking for prankster type messages, wishing Wayne Kerr a happy birthday etc.  I wasn't aware that politically related messages were a thing at football.  It could have been sent in by anybody, maybe not even a football fan, just somebody after publicity. 

• Like 5

Also covered in the Belfast Telegraph here:

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/bristol-city-fc-apologise-for-message-celebrating-michael-stone-beating-milltown-3-0/1464101728.html

Stone is a notorious UDA murderer. Pretty sick from whoever sent that in, but I don't expect City to have any clue of the significance of the message.

• Like 1

Maybe 1% saw that and understood the reference to something that happened in 1988 and you would have to be in your mid forties to even remember it, which clearly doesn't include the screen operator.

It's a prank, however tasteless, which won't happen again and people can get off their high horse.

Here's another prank.

Edited by Eddie Hitler
Misread the tweet as being official Liverpool FC
  • Like 1

On 30/04/2023 at 01:24, Red-Robbo said:

Our 'checking measures' aren't very good. These murders were quite widely reported and Stone later drew more attention to himself - after he was released due to the Good Friday amnesty - by trying to get into Stormont (the NI assembly) with lots of weapons, intent on killing some more people. In his trial he claimed this was "performance art".  This made him pretty famous.

BCFC need more adult and clued-up people to filter things they pump out, or further embarrassment will definitely ensue. 

I won’t knock the club for this specific incident as such, as many people wouldn’t have got the reference (I didn’t). That said, any club (or company) allowing public broadcasting of messages should be doing some kind of filtering - and it’s a potential risk if that’s down to an individual.

There’s technical solutions available to automate this

Edited by MarcusX
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, spudski said:

How long do those messages stay up on the screen...a few seconds? 

Maybe the person who took the photo and posted it on social media had something to do with it? 

Yep, they're usually only there for a few seconds - reading some of the longer messages before they disappear is a bit of an ask.

10 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Yep, they're usually only there for a few seconds - reading some of the longer messages before they disappear is a bit of an ask.

You just need to put in the training, Bullseye's closing credits are a good online resource for this work.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

So I'm guessing someone was waiting for the message to appear, and had camera/phone ready to take the picture and share. 

Someone sat in the Lansdown.

10 hours ago, In the Net said:

My late Dad's family are from Dublin, two of his brothers fought for us in the war.  When they came over here for a visit, one of the first things they always wanted to do was to visit the local British Legion.  Maybe you should broaden your horizons a bit.

I wouldn't have picked this message up if I was doing the checking, I'd be looking for prankster type messages, wishing Wayne Kerr a happy birthday etc.  I wasn't aware that politically related messages were a thing at football.  It could have been sent in by anybody, maybe not even a football fan, just somebody after publicity. 

Maybe you should understand your dad and his brother are not the norm. But I think you already do!

• Like 2

On 01/05/2023 at 11:29, REDOXO said:

Seems a reasonable view. I'll just go fup myself then.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Maybe you should understand your dad and his brother are not the norm. But I think you already do!

With a population of over 5 million, I think that it's a bit of a sweeping statement to assume that you know what "the norm" is, regardless of which side of the fence you are on. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, In the Net said:

With a population of over 5 million, I think that it's a bit of a sweeping statement to assume that you know what "the norm" is, regardless of which side of the fence you are on. 

Some of us hate the English so much that we've spent most of our lives there and support English football teams. Can't stand the English, me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

11 hours ago, MarcusX said:

I won’t knock the club for this specific incident as such, as many people wouldn’t have got the reference (I didn’t). That said, any club (or company) allowing public broadcasting of messages should be doing some kind of filtering - and it’s a potential risk if that’s down to an individual.

There’s technical solutions available to automate this

But how far would you go with filtering? For example, would you check that people reported as passed on actually have?

(Btw, It seems we have reports of deaths and other family messages at every home game these days, which I think is a fairly new development for us - personally not sure it's a great idea).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Calculus said:

But how far would you go with filtering? For example, would you check that people reported as passed on actually have?

(Btw, It seems we have reports of deaths and other family messages at every home game these days, which I think is a fairly new development for us - personally not sure it's a great idea).

This was a key feature of this Shoestring episode.  The radio read out a dedication to someone on her anniversary, but it was the anniversary of her death.

4 "The Mayfly Dance" Bill Craig Henry Herbert 26 October 1980
Don asks Eddie to locate Jody Brent, a once popular singer whose big hit 'Lazy Daisy' is enjoying a revival on Radio West's easy listening show. Though Miriam, Jody's manager, claims he is in America, Eddie hears that he is living in Wales in seclusion.
  • Like 1