IGNORED

Eurocrap

slartibartfast

I am totally pissed off with this Eurovision overkill on BBC,you can't put on any live program without being bombarded with this ****** trash !   What really boils my piss is the fact that we've just had wall to wall coverage of the coronation  (that's fine, by the way, piece of history etc.) but they kept on saying that they understood that not everyone was on board with this, but nothing about eurotrash, are we all supposed to love it, well I ****** don't ? 

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

20 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I am totally pissed off with this Eurovision overkill on BBC,you can't put on any live program without being bombarded with this ****** trash !   What really boils my piss is the fact that we've just had wall to wall coverage of the coronation  (that's fine, by the way, piece of history etc.) but they kept on saying that they understood that not everyone was on board with this, but nothing about eurotrash, are we all supposed to love it, well I ****** don't ? 

I can't stand it either, but...you don't have to watch it...<<runs>>

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ScottishRed said:

Very true.

It does appear that the BBC have gone way over the top this year. 

Personally, I can’t be doing with it but each to their own.

Obvious when it's being held here.

4 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

https://newsthump.com/2023/05/10/united-kingdom-commemorates-26th-anniversary-of-victory-in-eurovision-day/

Get the beers in Slarts 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Our friends throw an annual BBQ and party. I think the idea is to get so drunk, the performances start to look good.

I watched some of the coverage. The production seems to have been taken over by the Merseyside tourist bureau and, in my opinion, should focus more on Ukraine whose event it really is.

You mean that somewhere else is more important than Liverpool? 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Our friends throw an annual BBQ and party. I think the idea is to get so drunk, the performances start to look good.

I watched some of the coverage. The production seems to have been taken over by the Merseyside tourist bureau and, in my opinion, should focus more on Ukraine whose event it really is.

I think that was the approach Terry Wogan took as well.

12 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Probably a bit OTT with all the coverage but don’t forget it should be in the Ukraine, so that gives it an extra dimension 

Just about every programme on BBC one on Saturday is Eurovision themed. I do hope that Ukraine get the odd mention and that this won't be the format for Eurovisions in the future.

15 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Very popular with the kids, for some reason. My son's off to a Eurovision party on saturday dressed like David Bowie.

What, like this?

They'll never know who he's meant to be!

image.thumb.png.c92be2809717f58cf4466774b4903367.png

19 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Chill out Slarti! There’s plenty of people feel the same about football especially every other year - Euros or World Cup. And just like we love football, there’s plenty who love Eurovision. Just give them their few days!

I know it’s on everywhere….but just turn the TV off and read a book or go for a walk ?????

• Like 1

Sadly, I am old enough to remember Katie Boyle presenting it. (Yes, when the world was in black and white.) In those far off days it was never a song contest as such, it was a technological tour-de-force. Trying to connect to all those different television systems and rebroadcasting it across Europe in a format that was suitable for each country was a real space-age challenge. The music was a side show in reality.

Fast forward to today. The event also embraces Israel and Australia (making it a World song contest), spanning a series of qualifiers, not unlike a cup competition. A whole week of build-up and pageant, wild over-exaggeration and party time like no other. Some love it, others don't. I will let you take your pick.

It strikes me that Eurovision is a dinosaur that did not realise it had become extinct. Except that the best dinosaurs did not die out - they evolved into something different altogether.

6 hours ago, spudski said:

Approx £31 million to put this on. 

£10 million donated by Government. 

The majority of the rest by the BBC. 

If Turin last year is anything to go by, should make back double that you'd expect. 

https://inews.co.uk/culture/music/eurovision-cost-how-much-who-pays-song-contest-liverpool-what-uk-2328424

Last year’s host city, Turin in Italy, spent about £10m on the contest, and said it made back at least seven times that amount through tourism.

26 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

A lot of local businesses where the vast number of tourists will be staying, eating and drinking. And a lot of local people will benefit through work and other forms of income.

Absolute no brainer on a cost v benefit analysis. 

Just a shame they hiked up all the prices to Hotels and Airbnb and cancelled people's bookings. 

Seems the money spent approx £30 million will be recouped. 

It very rarely ends up into the hands of the workers though. They'll be on minimum wage. The hiked up profits will go to the owners of the establishments.